****CANCELLED: FRIENDLY: Nigeria v Saudi.....Now LIBERIA

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
****CANCELLED: FRIENDLY: Nigeria v Saudi.....Now LIBERIA

Post by Enugu II »

SUPER EAGLES MAY FACE SAUDI ARABIA IN A FRIENDLY ENCOUNTER NEXT MONTH
https://www.sportsvillagesquare.com/201 ... ext-month/
27 MINS AGO
Twitter Facebook Google + Linkedin Comments
BY KUNLE SOLAJA.

A friendly match in which Ahmed Musa may likely captain Nigeria is in the offing in Saudi Arabia. Super Eagles’ coach, Gernot Rohr gave the hint in Lagos on Friday just before he unveiled the list of players the Super Eagles might employ in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles.

According to the coach, the friendly match is still in the planning stage and will likely hold in Saudi Arabia on September 11, just three days after Nigeria’s match with Seychelles in the Indian Ocean archipelago nation, Seychelles.

In the absence of Skipper Mikel Obi who has been excused to enable him recover fully from his injury and to also save him from the nearly 23 hour flight to Seychelles in a match he was not programmed to feature, Ahmed Musa will likely captain Nigeria.

The coach is of the opinion that it will be interesting to see Musa skipper his national team in front of his new Saudi Arabian fans.

“Am happy that he is already making great impression with his new club”, remarked Rohr.

He also wants to utilize the match to test some of the new players he is introducing to the team as part of build-up to Nigeria’s possible participation in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.

Both Nigeria and Saudi Arabia were at Russia 2018 World Cup. If the match holds, it will be the second time both teams will meet at Grade A level. Both played goalless in their only head-to-head which was part of Nigeria’s build-up to South Africa 2010 World Cup.

The match was played on May 25, 2010 in Alpenstadion, Austria.
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FRIENDLY PLANNED: Nigeria v Saudi Arabia

Post by vancity eagle »

:thumbs: :thumbs:

If this comes to fruition then this is great. I spoke about us needing to organize friendlies, if we can pull this off despite all of the FIFA/NFF distraction then that would be great.

S. Arabia while not the very best team, are still decent opposition. They did well in their 2 matches against Uruguay and Egypt at the wC. They just collapsed against Russia.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I wonder how many of our players will dodge that friendly.

The traveling alone will be exhausting. They better call up the stand by players.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

How much are they paying Nigeria to lose?
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

To the contrary, dem go show up and play well with the hope of getting Arab money!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D

ohenhen1 wrote:I wonder how many of our players will dodge that friendly.

The traveling alone will be exhausting. They better call up the stand by players.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Cmoke wrote:To the contrary, dem go show up and play well with the hope of getting Arab money!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D

ohenhen1 wrote:I wonder how many of our players will dodge that friendly.

Guys like Iwobi at 70K pounds a week will boycott the game.

Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

70k is nothing where Sanchez dey get 400k
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Cmoke wrote:70k is nothing where Sanchez dey get 400k
3.64 million pounds a year is nothing.

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ohenhen1 wrote: I wonder how many of our players will dodge that friendly.

Bros, forget about those who will "dodge" the invitation when the time comes, but if the article is true and if the game holds, it will be used to try some NEW players. Thus, dodging might not be necessary.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: ****CANCELLED: FRIENDLY PLANNED: Nigeria v Saudi Arabia

Post by Enugu II »

Nigeria Cancel Friendly With Saudi Arabia, To Face Liberia In Monrovia On September 11
Published: September 06, 2018
https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=29170

Nigeria Cancel Friendly With Saudi Arabia, To Face Liberia In Monrovia On September 11
Allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report that the proposed friendly between the Nigerian National Team and Saudi Arabia will no longer hold next week.

The Nigeria Football Federation were not able to secure the international friendly against the the three-time AFC Asian Cup champions and have now confirmed that the Super Eagles will face the Liberian national team in Monrovia on September 11.

The Super Eagles players and officials are expected to depart directly from Seychelles for Liberia on Sunday, September 9 and the players will return to their respective clubs after the game.

Whilst Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr invited 20 foreign-based professionals for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles, Lone Stars coach Thomas Kojo has called up thirteen foreign based players for the AFCON qualifier with Democratic Republic of Congo, including Mallorca goalkeeper Boison Wynney and Spartak Moscow midfielder Sylvanus Nimely.

Nigeria have met Liberia on 13 occasions in the past, with the Super Eagles winning eight games, drawing two and losing three times.

In the latest FIFA Ranking, Liberia are ranked 158th in the world.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: ****CANCELLED: FRIENDLY: Nigeria v Saudi.....Now LIBERIA

Post by Tobi17 »

Why not Ghana,damn it's been a while since we played the bredas :mad:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

If we play Ghana, abeg no more ford oh.

Either we chop cane or we settle for draw.

Mschewww. In fact no more Britico friendlies.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I wonder how many players will dodge the Liberia game?

walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

ohenhen1 wrote:I wonder how many players will dodge the Liberia game?
Akpeyi is one
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

I will dodge it too if I were the players. That is a crappy friendly. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Undertaker wrote:

I will dodge it too if I were the players. That is a crappy friendly. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

what is so crappy ? We get another match to test these players. A much stronger opposition than Seychelles by the way , where frankly we wont learn much because the opposition is so poor.

Kudos to the NFF for arranging this friendly after Saudi Arabia fell through.

Some people are just so ungreatful.

All of the European, concacaf, conmebol teams are playing twice this FIFA window and people are here complaining.

and people complain we will not improve, how do you improve when you dont play matches. SMDH.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Liberia is ranked 158th in FIFA rankings.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote:Liberia is ranked 158th in FIFA rankings.
Ohenhen1,

But that does not deny the point made by VE, does it? #158 is surely much stronger than Seychelles' #188 and surely you cannot play an European opposition because of the Euro Nations League and yet you need to blood the new guys. People complained on an earlier thread that a non-capped player should not play a competitive game against Seychelles and now what is the complaint about playing a friendly for those players?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Seychelles is ranked 188th. I wasn't trying to deny VE point. But playing Liberia is not a good test. We should schedule a tougher team. A team like Morocco would be a good test. Would expose our weaknesses not hide them. Good preparation for Libya.

We are on a bad streak. I think it is 2 wins and 6 losses in the last 8 games for Rohr. I guess they want some moral boosting wins.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Enugu II wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Liberia is ranked 158th in FIFA rankings.
Ohenhen1,

But that does not deny the point made by VE, does it? #158 is surely much stronger than Seychelles' #188 and surely you cannot play an European opposition because of the Euro Nations League and yet you need to blood the new guys. People complained on an earlier thread that a non-capped player should not play a competitive game against Seychelles and now what is the complaint about playing a friendly for those players?
I am complaining about commending the NFF for scheduling weak opposition. Also not firing Rohr.

wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

ohenhen1 wrote:Seychelles is ranked 188th. I wasn't trying to deny VE point. But playing Liberia is not a good test. We should schedule a tougher team. A team like Morocco would be a good test. Would expose our weaknesses not hide them. Good preparation for Libya.

We are on a bad streak. I think it is 2 wins and 6 losses in the last 8 games for Rohr. I guess they want some moral boosting wins.
Who told you Morocco are available for this last minutes match?
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

vancity eagle wrote:
Undertaker wrote:

what is so crappy ? We get another match to test these players. A much stronger opposition than Seychelles by the way , where frankly we wont learn much because the opposition is so poor.

Kudos to the NFF for arranging this friendly after Saudi Arabia fell through.

Some people are just so ungreatful.

All of the European, concacaf, conmebol teams are playing twice this FIFA window and people are here complaining.

and people complain we will not improve, how do you improve when you dont play matches. SMDH.

Dude, nobody complains more than you do..... did someone steal your handle? We shouldn't be playing Liberia! I don't care how low or high they are ranked! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

wale1974 wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Seychelles is ranked 188th. I wasn't trying to deny VE point. But playing Liberia is not a good test. We should schedule a tougher team. A team like Morocco would be a good test. Would expose our weaknesses not hide them. Good preparation for Libya.

Who told you Morocco are available for this last minutes match?
Why are the people running our football mugus?

Last minute, most sane FAs don't schedule friendlies last minute.