Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:59 am
Posts: 14999
Location: Texas
Over hype.
Yep. That is the problem.

_________________
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:59 am
Posts: 14999
Location: Texas
I mean I know most of us believe the SE are the best team in Africa and should lose to no body, but I am yet to read anywhere where credit is given to South Africa for being the better team.

_________________
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:16 am
Posts: 3076
Location: Cut-N-Shoot, TX
Definitely so during the match.
Without prejudice, they had a plan which they executed perfectly.
I don't know what the SE plan was, but the team seems uncoordinated
and lacking vision.

_________________
Though religion is a concept that simply can not be ignored. The fact that a deity could
stand idly by while one of his creations slaughters another simply in his name, is a mystery I
doubt theologists would dare touch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 35139
Location: Land of the Terrapins
bamenda boy wrote:
I mean I know most of us believe the SE are the best team in Africa and should lose to no body, but I am yet to read anywhere where credit is given to South Africa for being the better team.


They seemed a more experienced team with a plan on the road to defend and try to profit from our blunders. We just kept passing sideways sideways then long ball to the SA keeper, no coordination or combination. Really looked like the old habits are creeping right back into the team.

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 am
Posts: 26274
Location: Southern Hemisphere
I don't think in terms of ability on the day.

We had much better players and more depth to our football.

We capitulated. Our formation was off and our mentality was poor. The rhythm was also poor, not enough urgency in the right areas, to many rushed deliveries.

South Africa weren't so much "better", as they were opportunistic. I've seen Nigeria lose to some very good teams in the past, this South African team was not all that. We had no business losing to them. If you watch our losses to teams such as Egypt, and even Ghana...those were difficult tests.

We were just very disjointed, the South Africans were not that much of a threat on the day (although that could very well have been their game plan).

Under pressure I did notice that they were much better however. In tight spaces, with pressure from our players, they could play the ball out! They played as if they were the home team. Our players played as if we had no coach! However, if we had been organized - we would definitely have won the match!

You could even see that after being down 1nil, we gave up on tactics, and started playing speculative passes! Especially when we were 2-0 down, we refused to settle the ball. The team just had no shape. Ndidi was very poor, as was Onazi. Nobody wanted to hold up the ball!

These are things that can be changed! I.e. if Rohr tweaks this same team, I expect Nigeria to win in South Africa. Our tactics can be improved.

My greatest concern is the IQ of our players! This so called new generation, are still exhibiting the foolishness of the past generation! Moses Simon for the love of God, needs to learn our to complete a play! He was the most skillful player on the day, and if he had half the intelligence of a Pedro or a Willian, with him alone we would have won the match!

_________________
But, paired with Bulgaria, Argentina and Greece, pundits predicted an early exit for the debutants.

"We went into the tournament unrated and as underdogs. Before Bulgaria recovered, we'd gone ahead and tore them apart," recalled defender Austin Eguavoen.

Oluwashina Okeleji


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:25 am
Posts: 32399
Location: ßos✞on ✈️ Mo✞own ✈️ Lægos
bamenda boy wrote:
I mean I know most of us believe the SE are the best team in Africa and should lose to no body, but I am yet to read anywhere where credit is given to South Africa for being the better team.

Don't know if anyone has said they're the better team but many here have credited South Africa for playing better and deserving of their win possibly by an even wider margin. However that doesn't mean they shouldn't highlight Nigeria's mistakes.

_________________
O-Qua Tangin Wann! "It's all laughs till he walks into an empty room with plastic on the floor." - Goodfellas

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:37 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 35829
Location: UK
bamenda boy wrote:
I mean I know most of us believe the SE are the best team in Africa and should lose to no body, but I am yet to read anywhere where credit is given to South Africa for being the better team.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I know you need to milk this moment for everything its worth and who can blame you? You basically want to hear it stated over and over again, becos no-one has denied it really...
So enjoy. :D

Yes, yesterday they were the better team by far, without question. They played with purpose, were quicker in thought and limb and even appeared to be physically stronger. Once upon a time, the southern African nations were forever blaming the advantage West African nations had over them in physique and physical strength.
No longer.

Anyone that saw yesterday's game would've had no doubt who deserved to win...and they did.

(You can now post this on a SA footie forum. Its the kind of thing fans love to read on a Sunday morning after a Saturday night victory)

_________________
"Ole ni gbogbo won"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:46 am
Posts: 29298
They were. No Nigerian is doubting that.

_________________
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB GT755M | 8GB DDR3L | 1TB 5400RPM | N2230 | LGIPS237L/LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: HP Pavilion 2500: Core2Duo T5250 1.5GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 320GB | 64MB NVidia GeF8400M - Linux Mint Cinnamon
HTC One - BB Z10 - APPLE IPad Mini


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 9180
bamenda boy wrote:
I mean I know most of us believe the SE are the best team in Africa and should lose to no body, but I am yet to read anywhere where credit is given to South Africa for being the better team.

They were the better team on the day but on paper they're not the better squad. Their players cannot get into the clubs the Nigerian players play for in Europe. However, football is not played on paper and it is a team game. We need to create a better team from our squad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 13129
Location: Here
bamenda boy wrote:
I mean I know most of us believe the SE are the best team in Africa and should lose to no body, but I am yet to read anywhere where credit is given to South Africa for being the better team.

Heck, no!

S. Africa parked the bus and played the counter attack.

They even used their training balls for the game like it was a training session. :laugh:

_________________
"Just before the warm-up one of the players came to me and said: 'I can't play'. I asked: 'Are you injured?' He said: 'No, the kit man forgot my boots.' The hotel was far away so he couldn't play. "Drogba said to me: 'Sven, it's Africa. It's like this.' "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:49 pm
Posts: 71908
Location: Accra, Old Trafford, Takoradi, Canada
Tbite wrote:
I don't think in terms of ability on the day.

We had much better players and more depth to our football.

We capitulated. Our formation was off and our mentality was poor. The rhythm was also poor, not enough urgency in the right areas, to many rushed deliveries.

South Africa weren't so much "better", as they were opportunistic. I've seen Nigeria lose to some very good teams in the past, this South African team was not all that. We had no business losing to them. If you watch our losses to teams such as Egypt, and even Ghana...those were difficult tests.

We were just very disjointed, the South Africans were not that much of a threat on the day (although that could very well have been their game plan).

Under pressure I did notice that they were much better however. In tight spaces, with pressure from our players, they could play the ball out! They played as if they were the home team. Our players played as if we had no coach! However, if we had been organized - we would definitely have won the match!

You could even see that after being down 1nil, we gave up on tactics, and started playing speculative passes! Especially when we were 2-0 down, we refused to settle the ball. The team just had no shape. Ndidi was very poor, as was Onazi. Nobody wanted to hold up the ball!

These are things that can be changed! I.e. if Rohr tweaks this same team, I expect Nigeria to win in South Africa. Our tactics can be improved.

My greatest concern is the IQ of our players! This so called new generation, are still exhibiting the foolishness of the past generation! Moses Simon for the love of God, needs to learn our to complete a play! He was the most skillful player on the day, and if he had half the intelligence of a Pedro or a Willian, with him alone we would have won the match!


who got time to read this sh*t

were they the better team? YES/NO?

_________________

Fine Jersey FC

WC Quarter Finals sweet o


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 am
Posts: 26274
Location: Southern Hemisphere
tfco wrote:
Tbite wrote:
I don't think in terms of ability on the day.

We had much better players and more depth to our football.

We capitulated. Our formation was off and our mentality was poor. The rhythm was also poor, not enough urgency in the right areas, to many rushed deliveries.

South Africa weren't so much "better", as they were opportunistic. I've seen Nigeria lose to some very good teams in the past, this South African team was not all that. We had no business losing to them. If you watch our losses to teams such as Egypt, and even Ghana...those were difficult tests.

We were just very disjointed, the South Africans were not that much of a threat on the day (although that could very well have been their game plan).

Under pressure I did notice that they were much better however. In tight spaces, with pressure from our players, they could play the ball out! They played as if they were the home team. Our players played as if we had no coach! However, if we had been organized - we would definitely have won the match!

You could even see that after being down 1nil, we gave up on tactics, and started playing speculative passes! Especially when we were 2-0 down, we refused to settle the ball. The team just had no shape. Ndidi was very poor, as was Onazi. Nobody wanted to hold up the ball!

These are things that can be changed! I.e. if Rohr tweaks this same team, I expect Nigeria to win in South Africa. Our tactics can be improved.

My greatest concern is the IQ of our players! This so called new generation, are still exhibiting the foolishness of the past generation! Moses Simon for the love of God, needs to learn our to complete a play! He was the most skillful player on the day, and if he had half the intelligence of a Pedro or a Willian, with him alone we would have won the match!


who got time to read this sh*t

were they the better team? YES/NO?


I refuse to answer the question that way.

_________________
But, paired with Bulgaria, Argentina and Greece, pundits predicted an early exit for the debutants.

"We went into the tournament unrated and as underdogs. Before Bulgaria recovered, we'd gone ahead and tore them apart," recalled defender Austin Eguavoen.

Oluwashina Okeleji


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 21684
I said this on CICs naijiant thread and didn't get an answer :sneaky:

Samora Machel wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
A very poor and disjointed performance and a "typical" Nigerian display. This was not what many expected from a foreign coach.
https://www.naijiant.com/sports/nigeria ... qualifier/


How about that maybe the saffers were simply the better team :scared: :sneaky:

_________________
Remember Robert Sobukwe

Mama, give us a signal. We are waiting ma- Juju


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 21684
Orion wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:
I mean I know most of us believe the SE are the best team in Africa and should lose to no body, but I am yet to read anywhere where credit is given to South Africa for being the better team.

They were the better team on the day but on paper they're not the better squad. Their players cannot get into the clubs the Nigerian players play for in Europe. However, football is not played on paper and it is a team game. We need to create a better team from our squad.



Chief I can't believe this is your yardstick for determining player ability or who has a better team. Countries like Korea, USA and even some south america teams traditionally have less players playing in top European clubs compared to Nigeria, ivory coast and Ghana yet they have done better than any African team at the world cup. Playing in Europe is determined by a host of factors. Kingston the Ghana goalkeeper is not a better goalie than Ithumeleng Khune yet Kingston played in Europe for years. Explain that

_________________
Remember Robert Sobukwe

Mama, give us a signal. We are waiting ma- Juju


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:20 pm
Posts: 6620
Samora Machel wrote:
Orion wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:
I mean I know most of us believe the SE are the best team in Africa and should lose to no body, but I am yet to read anywhere where credit is given to South Africa for being the better team.

They were the better team on the day but on paper they're not the better squad. Their players cannot get into the clubs the Nigerian players play for in Europe. However, football is not played on paper and it is a team game. We need to create a better team from our squad.



Chief I can't believe this is your yardstick for determining player ability or who has a better team. Countries like Korea, USA and even some south america teams traditionally have less players playing in top European clubs compared to Nigeria, ivory coast and Ghana yet they have done better than any African team at the world cup. Playing in Europe is determined by a host of factors. Kingston the Ghana goalkeeper is not a better goalie than Ithumeleng Khune yet Kingston played in Europe for years. Explain that


Remember how Ali Dia was signed by Souness for Southampton because someone told him Dia is George Weah's cousin :rotf:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 46651
bamenda boy wrote:
I mean I know most of us believe the SE are the best team in Africa and should lose to no body, but I am yet to read anywhere where credit is given to South Africa for being the better team.
...not! to the highlight in red, not anymore. Winning encompasses many things including good football skills, good management of players/tools you have, etc.

Was the SA better yesterday, yes they were from the 2nd half on ward. They defended and took advantage of their break away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 46651
Samora Machel wrote:
Orion wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:
I mean I know most of us believe the SE are the best team in Africa and should lose to no body, but I am yet to read anywhere where credit is given to South Africa for being the better team.

They were the better team on the day but on paper they're not the better squad. Their players cannot get into the clubs the Nigerian players play for in Europe. However, football is not played on paper and it is a team game. We need to create a better team from our squad.



Chief I can't believe this is your yardstick for determining player ability or who has a better team. Countries like Korea, USA and even some south america teams traditionally have less players playing in top European clubs compared to Nigeria, ivory coast and Ghana yet they have done better than any African team at the world cup. Playing in Europe is determined by a host of factors. Kingston the Ghana goalkeeper is not a better goalie than Ithumeleng Khune yet Kingston played in Europe for years. Explain that
...unfortunately our people have been comatose to believe oyinbo na oyinbo even if they play at lowest of low and or sit on the bench.
The good thing about oyinbo league is they give you all the tools, they treat and manage you well but you have to make something out of what they give you.
Playing at big club-europe should not be guide, better for the money but how about the skill acquired.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:02 pm
Posts: 7320
Bang on point!
I actually re-watched the game last night, emotions aside, and I don't think the South Africans were the better team. Not at all!
They had very few opportunities which they took advantage of - kudos to them, but primarily due to our schoolboy mistakes at the back.
We dominated play in the first half and fluffed all our opportunities - poor finishing upfront.

Had Nigeria put away 1/3 of the chances we had, the narrative would have been completely different. I am confident we would beat them in SA during the return leg.
Tbite wrote:
I don't think in terms of ability on the day.

We had much better players and more depth to our football.

We capitulated. Our formation was off and our mentality was poor. The rhythm was also poor, not enough urgency in the right areas, to many rushed deliveries.

South Africa weren't so much "better", as they were opportunistic. I've seen Nigeria lose to some very good teams in the past, this South African team was not all that. We had no business losing to them. If you watch our losses to teams such as Egypt, and even Ghana...those were difficult tests.

We were just very disjointed, the South Africans were not that much of a threat on the day (although that could very well have been their game plan).

Under pressure I did notice that they were much better however. In tight spaces, with pressure from our players, they could play the ball out! They played as if they were the home team. Our players played as if we had no coach! However, if we had been organized - we would definitely have won the match!

You could even see that after being down 1nil, we gave up on tactics, and started playing speculative passes! Especially when we were 2-0 down, we refused to settle the ball. The team just had no shape. Ndidi was very poor, as was Onazi. Nobody wanted to hold up the ball!

These are things that can be changed! I.e. if Rohr tweaks this same team, I expect Nigeria to win in South Africa. Our tactics can be improved.

My greatest concern is the IQ of our players! This so called new generation, are still exhibiting the foolishness of the past generation! Moses Simon for the love of God, needs to learn our to complete a play! He was the most skillful player on the day, and if he had half the intelligence of a Pedro or a Willian, with him alone we would have won the match!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 21684
benteke wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
Orion wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:
I mean I know most of us believe the SE are the best team in Africa and should lose to no body, but I am yet to read anywhere where credit is given to South Africa for being the better team.

They were the better team on the day but on paper they're not the better squad. Their players cannot get into the clubs the Nigerian players play for in Europe. However, football is not played on paper and it is a team game. We need to create a better team from our squad.



Chief I can't believe this is your yardstick for determining player ability or who has a better team. Countries like Korea, USA and even some south america teams traditionally have less players playing in top European clubs compared to Nigeria, ivory coast and Ghana yet they have done better than any African team at the world cup. Playing in Europe is determined by a host of factors. Kingston the Ghana goalkeeper is not a better goalie than Ithumeleng Khune yet Kingston played in Europe for years. Explain that


Remember how Ali Dia was signed by Souness for Southampton because someone told him Dia is George Weah's cousin :rotf:


:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Yeah I remember that. How many players have broken through because they are connected with Etoo etc. We don't have that luxury

_________________
Remember Robert Sobukwe

Mama, give us a signal. We are waiting ma- Juju


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:59 am
Posts: 14999
Location: Texas
No one is doubting if Nigerians are the best individually. But as a team, may be South Africa is just the better team. I have never seen a youthful Nigerian team. I even predicted the out come of the game on another thread and IU was not far from the truth.

_________________
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Akoni Miyake, Ayo Akinfe, calico.chuks, EMBEDDED, Google [Bot], Scipio Africanus and 53 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group