NIGERIAN PLAYERS NEED TO STOP DIS FASTING DURING MATCH STUFF

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
NIGERIAN PLAYERS NEED TO STOP DIS FASTING DURING MATCH STUFF

Post by paj »

Our women's team do it and lost woefully in the world cups..our youth squads do it and same happens...I don't see how it benefits U to put yourself at physical disadvantage when religion allows U and exception in this instance :mad:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: NIGERIAN PLAYERS NEED TO STOP DIS FASTING DURING MATCH S

Post by Rawlings »

Excuse
All 11 Libyan players were fasting
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
goldenera94
Egg
Egg

Post by goldenera94 »

Great point

paj wrote:Our women's team do it and lost woefully in the world cups..our youth squads do it and same happens...I don't see how it benefits U to put yourself at physical disadvantage when religion allows U and exception in this instance :mad:
Goldenera94
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Fasting whilst playing football is absurd, the FTF in Tunisia outlawed fasting during games years ago.

The intake of food and drink is vital prior to training, vital after training, vital prior to the games, vital during games, vital after the games..it's a fact fasting can be made up after oes playing obligation are over.

Every football association should ban their players from fasting, if players refuse simply do not invite them to the NT..PERIOD!!!!
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Rawlings wrote:Excuse
All 11 Libyan players were fasting
Were Ghana players fasting when dem chop 7 goals vs Germany?Abi God no dey Frankfurt?
Pa
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:Fasting whilst playing football is absurd, the FTF in Tunisia outlawed fasting during games years ago.

The intake of food and drink is vital prior to training, vital after training, vital prior to the games, vital during games, vital after the games..it's a fact fasting can be made up after oes playing obligation are over.

Every football association should ban their players from fasting, if players refuse simply do not invite them to the NT..PERIOD!!!!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

paj wrote:Our women's team do it and lost woefully in the world cups..our youth squads do it and same happens...I don't see how it benefits U to put yourself at physical disadvantage when religion allows U and exception in this instance :mad:
Pa J,

Football pales in comparison to religion and must take a back seat to it. It is about faith and football does not even come close.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Were Iheanacho and Iwobi fasting yestetday too?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote:
Pa J,

Football pales in comparison to religion and must take a back seat to it. It is about faith and football does not even come close.
It's not about faith rather like too many issues in Muslim society it's blatant stupidity.

its clearly stated that any Muslim can make up their fast at a later date, not a single legit doctor or trainer who would recommend anyone fasts prior to and during a intense athletic competition.
Detective Bunk Moreland

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Pa J,

It's not about faith rather like too many issues in Muslim society it's blatant stupidity.

its clearly stated that any Muslim can make up their fast at a later date, not a single legit doctor or trainer who would recommend anyone fasts prior to and during a intense athletic competition.
Tunisian Gooner,

It has nothing to do with stupidity. You may call it stupid but those who participate in it do not. Further, it is not just a Muslim issue. There are several Christians who fast during certain periods around Easter and it is taken seriously for those who are devout. Football pales on that issue. It does not override religion.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:Fasting whilst playing football is absurd, the FTF in Tunisia outlawed fasting during games years ago.

KPAM! Good points and I agree :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

:D How many players on the team were fasting? Or what exactly has this topic got to do with the result of yesterday?
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Enugu II wrote:
Pa J,

Bros I believe there is a stipulation on fasting in several religions that excuses those who have to endure hard labor..isn't it?We are not comparing football to religion but I think to address the interpretation of it as it applies here
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

oloye wrote::D How many players on the team were fasting? Or what exactly has this topic got to do with the result of yesterday?
It has because coach dropped Musa to the bench as he was fassting
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

niyi wrote:Were Iheanacho and Iwobi fasting yestetday too?

I think so. And Akpeyi + Echejile. Even Ndidi might have been fasting...that's not his usual way of playing.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Pa J,

Tunisian Gooner,

It has nothing to do with stupidity. You may call it stupid but those who participate in it do not. Further, it is not just a Muslim issue. There are several Christians who fast during certain periods around Easter and it is taken seriously for those who are devout. Football pales on that issue. It does not override religion.
voice of reason.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

paj wrote:
oloye wrote::D How many players on the team were fasting? Or what exactly has this topic got to do with the result of yesterday?

so Musa on the bench = CE loss? Was he not fasting when he put 2 solid goals vs Argentina?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Pa J,

Tunisian Gooner,

No it's exactly that S.T.U.P.I.D!!!!!!!!!!!

1. As said earlier simply paramount players intake food and liquids, moreso that it's calculated to the most scientific degree to maximize performance. To fast whilst preparing and during any athletic competition let alone one of elite caliber is nothing short of stupidity and bordering on sabotage of your team and in case of the NT your country.

2. It's even more absurd when islamically it's clearly stated that one can fast at a later date.

3. Would anyone want their heart surgeon to fast for 18+ hours prior to surgery....????

CONTEXT MATTERS!!!!
Detective Bunk Moreland

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
paj wrote:

so Musa on the bench = CE loss? Was he not fasting when he put 2 solid goals vs Argentina?
Why must every discussion be related to every other argument? There is more to our football than the South African loss.

Whether the impact on the SA match was negligible, is inconsequential.

The issue remains relevant.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Tbite wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
paj wrote:

Why must every discussion be related to every other argument? There is more to our football than the South African loss.

Whether the impact on the SA match was negligible, is inconsequential.

The issue remains relevant.
your response should be directed to PaJ. He brought Musa on the bench as his argument.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tunisian Gooner,

Using the word stupid for athletes that fast is quite outrageous. Perhaps, you are not quite aware about sport and fasting and how important religion is to some athletes. Fasting is a choice that they make and I would not condemn an athlete who makes the choice to fast. Please read below before condemning athletes that chose to fast. I have highlighted important issues that you should know.
Ramadan and the Olympics: to fast or not to fast?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... cs-fasting
Huma Qureshi
Sunday 22 July 2012 15.00 EDT First published on Sunday 22 July 2012 15.00 EDT

Abdul Buhari has been fasting for Ramadan since the age of 12, but this year he will be missing the holy month. He has good reason for it: Buhari, 30, is one of the UK's top discus throwers and will be representing Team GB in the men's discus event at London 2012. He has decided not to risk his Olympic performance by being without food or water.

"It was a really difficult decision because I've fasted all my life for Ramadan – it's incredibly important to me. But if I fast, it will be impossible to stay in peak condition and perform at my highest level in the Games," he says. "I believe God is forgiving, and I'll make up for every single day I've missed." He plans to fast later on in the year.

This is the second time Buhari has missed Ramadan; last year, when it coincided with the athletic world championships in Korea, was the first. After much discussion with his coach, wife and several imams, he concluded that fasting and competing in top-level athletics just weren't compatible. "I went through it with my trainer, looking at whether I could get enough calories for the nutrition and energy I needed, but in the end we decided it would be too risky."

In Korea, Buhari shared a flat with fellow Team GB athlete and Muslim Mo Farah for the championships. "We both weren't fasting and we found that really hard. No Muslim wants to miss Ramadan."

All four of Team GB's Muslim athletes (Buhari, Farah, rower Moe Sbihi and fencer Husayn Rosowsky) have decided not to fast during Ramadan this year, so as not to jeopardise their Olympic performance. While Farah and Rosowsky will also make up for it later in the year, Sbihi has instead decided to provide 60 meals a day for the poor for every day of fasting he misses. He came up with the charitable solution after consulting with Muslim scholars in Morocco, where his father is from.

More than 3,000 Muslim athletes are expected to participate in London 2012, although the games organisers say it's impossible to know how many are fasting. Still, they are prepared: fasting athletes can order "breaking-fast packs", filled with dates, water and energy bars, and the canteen will be open 24 hours so anyone fasting can eat sehri, the pre-fast meal consumed just before sunrise, in the early hours.

But is it really advisable for athletes to compete or train while fasting? In 2009, the International Olympic Committee (IOC)'s nutrition working group began investigating the impact of fasting on sports performance. A team of scientists, led by Ron Maughan, professor of sport and exercise nutrition at Loughborough University, analysed more than 400 articles on Ramadan and sports, and published its findings in the British Journal of Sports Medicine last month. The report concluded: "Fasting of short duration or intermittent nature has little or no effect on the health or performance of most athletes … Ramadan observance has only limited adverse consequences for either training or competitive performance."

"Everyone tends to assume that performance is going to be affected by Ramadan, but there's nothing unusual about playing sports in Ramadan," says Maughan. "Most people who fast for Ramadan, whether they are athletes or not, have been fasting for years. They know how to cope and how far their bodies can go. So it's perfectly safe."

Even though they have opted out of this summer's fasting, Buhari, Sbihi and Rosowsky have all trained during Ramadan in the winter months without problems. As Rosowsky puts it: "You just focus, man up and get on with it."

Buhari weighs 20 stone. He eats six meals and drinks six litres of water on a normal day. On training days during Ramadan he would wake up extra early for sehri, eat a large variety of slow-releasing carbohydrates from porridge and seeded bread to sweet potatoes, brown rice and pasta, along with plenty of water and electrolytes to prevent cramping. At the end of the fast, he'd repeat the process. "Sure, sometimes I would feel thirsty, but ultimately my faith was my motivation. I could draw on that to get me through," he says.

Being able to train during Ramadan is one thing for a competitive athlete and another for your average person, warns Drew Price, a performance nutritionist who works with athletes and Premiership footballers who observe the Ramadan fast. "Ramadan isn't as difficult as people think for athletes, but they have a whole support team to monitor them while fasting. The average person won't have that, so if they want to exercise and fast, they should listen to their bodies. Generally, the fitter you are, the easier it is. Ramadan is only a few weeks out of the year, so you can afford to take it easy in terms of the intensity and volume of exercise you do for one month if you train well the rest of the year."

Personal trainer Imran Ilahi owns a health club in St John's Wood, north London, and last year published Fit4Ramadan, an online fitness manual about how to stay in shape while fasting. He works out during Ramadan, preferring to train before sehri, rather than during fasting hours.

"The key is to focus on maintaining your fitness during Ramadan, rather than improving it or making it worse," he says. "You can still eExercise before you start the fast, or after you've broken it. Just do slightly less than you normally would and you'll find it gives you more energy."

Asif Ahmad, a 26-year-old from London who goes to the gym three times a week during Ramadan, agrees. "It's a strange concept to comprehend, but playing sports really does mean that adrenaline overshadows most of your natural reactions such as thirst or fatigue," he says "It's all about discipline, after all."
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote:
Pa J,

[/video]

http://www.inter-islam.org/Lifestyle/football.html
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Is there any conclusive data that shows fasting adversely affects results? At the very least that would be needed to begin this conversation. Understand that in this case it's football where anything can happen.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS