Cameroun 0 - 2 Chile (FT) Confed Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

marutimon
Egg
Egg
Re: Cameroun 0 - 2 Chile (FT) Confed Cup

Post by marutimon »

folem wrote:What horror referee decision? , VAR has come to your rescue. Wise up. :bump:
The goal scored by Cameroon scratched off for barely nothing (if anything the Chilean was fouling more).
The offside first goal - it was minimal, but it was offside. The Chileans leg was ahead of the Cameroonian line.

And this is a trend. Remember the one-sided refereeing against Nigeria in the France game? It was blatant, yet that guy is at the Confed Cup and still refs at top level.

African teams almost always seem to be on the receiving end on game-changing bad calls. Even if there are some calls which are objectively good - like most red cards - I can't help but feel that if the tables were turned most of those harmful calls wouldn't have been made.

For a great example: Imagine France - Nigeria and Mikel hits Pogba with an elbow, Onazi slides with his studs up into Matuidi's leg or Odemwingie bearhugs Evra in the box to prevent a headed goal... I can't imagine that not ending in two reds and a penalty.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

marutimon wrote:
folem wrote:What horror referee decision? , VAR has come to your rescue. Wise up. :bump:
The goal scored by Cameroon scratched off for barely nothing (if anything the Chilean was fouling more).
The offside first goal - it was minimal, but it was offside. The Chileans leg was ahead of the Cameroonian line.

And this is a trend. Remember the one-sided refereeing against Nigeria in the France game? It was blatant, yet that guy is at the Confed Cup and still refs at top level.

African teams almost always seem to be on the receiving end on game-changing bad calls. Even if there are some calls which are objectively good - like most red cards - I can't help but feel that if the tables were turned most of those harmful calls wouldn't have been made.

For a great example: Imagine France - Nigeria and Mikel hits Pogba with an elbow, Onazi slides with his studs up into Matuidi's leg or Odemwingie bearhugs Evra in the box to prevent a headed goal... I can't imagine that not ending in two reds and a penalty.
Jeez, referees are just like you and I, only human .... don't we have dodgy decisions by referees at CAN,, overtime they pan out i.e you win some, lose some, Cameroon won Olympics in 2000 despite dodgy referee against them wrt goal ruled offside, Nigeria won in 1996 despite dodgy penalty against and later controversial goal in favour. In 1994 WC, Eguavoen got Zola red carded controversially but Yekini was denied by Maldini without punishment. It happens hence the need for VAR.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2090 ... f-all-time
Last edited by folem on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Take all the big tournament game with African and list where African teams benefitted from bad calls and make another with decisions that were bad calls against them... Its a very lopsided list.

And thats without the 'higher force' of bad rules like Algeria 1982 or Ghana 2010.

This is a game where one call changes everything. Denying a properly scored goal is make or break. Similarly not awarding a deserved penalty. Nigeria vs France 2014 the Super Eagles suffered from 4 gamechanging bad calls - you can only go so far when the ref is against you. Not quite Ovrebo-level bad, but he was close.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

marutimon wrote:Take all the big tournament game with African and list where African teams benefitted from bad calls and make another with decisions that were bad calls against them... Its a very lopsided list.

And thats without the 'higher force' of bad rules like Algeria 1982 or Ghana 2010.

This is a game where one call changes everything. Denying a properly scored goal is make or break. Similarly not awarding a deserved penalty. Nigeria vs France 2014 the Super Eagles suffered from 4 gamechanging bad calls - you can only go so far when the ref is against you. Not quite Ovrebo-level bad, but he was close.
The Cameroon vs England game in 1990
Also the Italy vs Nigeria 94,
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Cameroon vs Chile 1998.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Games where African teams hurt by questionable calls:
Cameroon vs Peru 1982
Cameroon vs England 1990
Italy vs Nigeria 1994
Cameroon vs Chile 1998
Tunisia vs Ukraine 2006
Togo vs Switzerland 2006
Ghana vs Brazil 2006
Cote d'Ivoire vs Brazil 2010
Ghana vs Germany 2010
Cote d'Ivoire vs Greece 2014
Nigeria vs Iran 2014
Nigeria vs France 2014

Games where African teams benefitted from questionable calls:
Ghana vs USA 2006
Mexico vs Cameroon 2014
Nigeria vs Bosnia 2014

Pretty lopsided if you ask me...
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

marutimon wrote:Games where African teams hurt by questionable calls:
Cameroon vs Peru 1982
Cameroon vs England 1990
Italy vs Nigeria 1994
Cameroon vs Chile 1998
Tunisia vs Ukraine 2006
Togo vs Switzerland 2006
Ghana vs Brazil 2006
Cote d'Ivoire vs Brazil 2010
Ghana vs Germany 2010
Cote d'Ivoire vs Greece 2014
Nigeria vs Iran 2014
Nigeria vs France 2014

Games where African teams benefitted from questionable calls:
Ghana vs USA 2006
Mexico vs Cameroon 2014
Nigeria vs Bosnia 2014
Nigeria vs Italy 1994 (Zola of Italy sent off after Oliseh simulation)

Pretty lopsided if you ask me...

Wha choo looking at?!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

I didn't touch upon red cards. I agree that was a bad call though, but we would have to analyze the history of African team red cards.