Play for a draw against Cameroon over the two legs

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robotnik
Egg
Egg
Play for a draw against Cameroon over the two legs

Post by Robotnik »

After watching today's match (Cameroon vs Chile) and Nigeria vs South Africa do people still think we can beat Cameroon in Uyo (or anywhere in the country)?

With six points and a 4-point lead in the group Nigeria does not need to go all out to win against Cameroon in any of the two legs. It's like playing a game where you are 2 goals up. You need to defend that lead let the other team come at you and then hit on counter. Nigeria's attack is more potent when playing on the counter. It has been proven in recent times that we struggle when teams bunker. It took the creative Chileans 80 mins to break through Cameroon's defence. With Nigeria's slow build up in attack I am afraid we will struggle to breakdown this kind of organized defence. Honestly it will take a while before the team to attack with the fluidity and intelligence of the Chileans. Cameroon's attack is not that potent, they would have to come forward if the want to get the world cup ticket. The intention should be to win be we must be smart. Two draws leaves us ahead by 4 points. Algeria will to travel to Cameroon and Zambia still have to play in Nigeria.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Play for a draw against Cameroon over the two legs

Post by bret- hart »

Robotnik wrote:After watching today's match (Cameroon vs Chile) and Nigeria vs South Africa do people still think we can beat Cameroon in Uyo (or anywhere in the country)?

With six points and a 4-point lead in the group Nigeria does not need to go all out to win against Cameroon in any of the two legs. It's like playing a game where you are 2 goals up. You need to defend that lead let the other team come at you and then hit on counter. Nigeria's attack is more potent when playing on the counter. It has been proven in recent times that we struggle when teams bunker. It took the creative Chileans 80 mins to break through Cameroon's defence. With Nigeria's slow build up in attack I am afraid we will struggle to breakdown this kind of organized defence. Honestly it will take a while before the team to attack with the fluidity and intelligence of the Chileans. Cameroon's attack is not that potent, they would have to come forward if the want to get the world cup ticket. The intention should be to win be we must be smart. Two draws leaves us ahead by 4 points. Algeria will to travel to Cameroon and Zambia still have to play in Nigeria.

No way man. We need to go for the kill. 4-6pts should do it and yes as bad as we were vs SA, we can beat this Cameroon side. We just have to make the right selections. Ikeme in goal, Balogun in defence, Mikel in midfield and Moses and Ideye going forward, The rest p the team picks itself. Seriously tho if we cant beat these clowns east of Nigeria we might as well let Zambia and Algeria fight for the ticket. Cameroon is a garbage team.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
dhoney
Egg
Egg

Post by dhoney »

If we don`t recall the experience dudes, we will be beaten blue and black by Cameroun home and away..you can take that to the bank. You cant just take "ajebotas" to go and face those UFC fighters, they will maim our boys
And Jesus said to the only leper that came back to thank Him after He healed ten.... "Chai....na only you waka come?".
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

This is very negative mentality and a coward one at best! If we can take 4 points away from Cameroon and then beat Zambia at home we will win the group with a match to spare! What we don't want is having to go to Algeria on match day 6 needing a point or a win to qualify!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Nonsense!!!! Play for a draw?????? Get allnyhe wins u can. when u aim to play a tie that's when u lose, aim for a win, its a tie or win...Go for the best!!!!!
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

With what we witnessed in Nigeria against South Africa, any of these teams can beat Nigeria in Nigeria. There has been paucity of goals for Nigeria due to Rohr's system. We witnessed that against Senegal, Corisca and South Africa. If Rohr wants to move forward he must play players who are scoring for their various clubs instead of featuring benching warming, fringe and peripheral players. He must know how to inculcate new dynamic players into his team stop being unnecessarily cautious and conservative. Most of our wins since he assumed the helms of Super eagles have been fortuitous . For sure his approach needs to be revamped.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I kind of agree after watching the Chile match, but it's not so much that we should park the bus but rather focus on defence first. We do not need to chase the match, we need to play smart and tactical.

If I am correct Cameroon will sit back in the first leg assuming we will attack them for the kill and hope to beat us on the counter. Let them do this. We can attack them sparingly without losing our defensive shape and when they figure they need to attack us we will absorb and counter.

Ahmed Musa may actually be a key sub in these series , especially in the away match where Cameroon may need to come out more for the win.

One thing we must not do in the first leg is think we need to attack them all out. We must focus on defence first, and attack strategically.

********************IKEME************************

AINA********BALOGUN*****TROOST*****ECHIJELE

***************ONAZI********NDIDI*****************

**********************MIKEL************************

SUCCESS***********************************MOSES

************************IHEANACHO****************

Have Success and Iheanacho interchanging positions. Success can give us the steel and power without losing the techmique.

Subs

Iwobi
Onyekuru
Ighalo
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Robotnik wrote:After watching today's match (Cameroon vs Chile) and Nigeria vs South Africa do people still think we can beat Cameroon in Uyo (or anywhere in the country)?

Algeria lie in wait for any slip ups.
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

South Africa was just a bad day in the office. It happens. That should not affect the confidence of the boys especially playing at home. No team on the continent is that good for us to play for a draw at home. A home draw vs any African team is a bad result as far as I am concerned.
yes o
bouncino
Egg
Egg

Post by bouncino »

A win and a lose is much better than 2 draws. Fetches you 3 points as against 2 points.
If Cameroun draws in Nigeria, they will finish you off in Yaounde. Not an accord match.
We must go for the kill at home.
Get the right players and formation
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

vancity eagle wrote:I kind of agree after watching the Chile match, but it's not so much that we should park the bus but rather focus on defence first. We do not need to chase the match, we need to play smart and tactical.

If I am correct Cameroon will sit back in the first leg assuming we will attack them for the kill and hope to beat us on the counter. Let them do this. We can attack them sparingly without losing our defensive shape and when they figure they need to attack us we will absorb and counter.

Ahmed Musa may actually be a key sub in these series , especially in the away match where Cameroon may need to come out more for the win.

One thing we must not do in the first leg is think we need to attack them all out. We must focus on defence first, and attack strategically.

Have Success and Iheanacho interchanging positions. Success can give us the steel and power without losing the techmique.

Subs

Iwobi
Onyekuru
Ighalo
If Rohr is dynamic enough he will definitely go for this lineup . Your lineup seems very formidable unfortunately Rohr is extremely conservative to my disliking. He rather goes with the devil he knows than the angel he does not know. Watch him feature Etebo, Shehu Kelechi , Simon Moses and Musa expecting a miraculous victory for his team.
I will not be surprise if SE didn't qualify for any of the major tournaments with him as the SE manager. His antecedents speak volume of his career accomplishments. I have this trepidation we will regret ever hiring him. I hope and pray my trepidation never come true.
Your lineup really looks good but I differ with Kelechi , he has surely deteriorated ,. Incessantly sitting on City's bench is adversely impacting him. He should be allowed to sort himself out before given him as starting shirt again
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

bouncino wrote:A win and a lose is much better than 2 draws. Fetches you 3 points as against 2 points.
If Cameroun draws in Nigeria, they will finish you off in Yaounde. Not an accord match.
We must go for the kill at home.
Get the right players and formation
I will actually be easier to beat them in Cameroon given they will be forced to go all out if they do not get a favorable result in Nigeria.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Smart and tactical? Defense first? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is not in the SE DNA.

Wha choo looking at?!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

We should perhaps look at it from the 'in game' outlook rather than about going for a draw or going for the win.

We should approach EVERY match that we ever play, going for the win. But there are many ways to go for a win.

We should perhaps go for a cautious win. i.e. in the first leg if we are up 1-0, we slow the tempo down...not continue a flurry of attack after attack. Also the way we approach the second leg, should then be predicated on the result of the first leg. Obviously, if we had drawn the first leg, we cannot afford to be mindless in the 2nd leg, Cameroon are the ones chasing...the last thing we would want is to force the issue, concede on the counter and then lose the 2nd leg.

All in all, we go in calm and collected. But we can be offered a little bit more leeway, should we win the first leg.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Cameroon put in a performance in a game they were expected to lose - so it was no pressure game- all they did was defending and hoping for a break away goal - but toothless upfront

now lets see how they do against Australia in a game they are expected to win- then i judge how decent or poor they are.

so dont panic - SE will do well in both games against Cameroon- they will focus.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

vancity eagle wrote:I kind of agree after watching the Chile match, but it's not so much that we should park the bus but rather focus on defence first. We do not need to chase the match, we need to play smart and tactical.

Subs

Iwobi
Onyekuru
Ighalo
VE, I like your lineup, the only change i will make is bring in Etebo for Ndidi. The reason is that the Cameroonians are a very physical team and they like to grind out their opponents just like they did to Egypt in the CAN2017 final. Etebo and Onazi have the physicals to match them just like they did against Algeria. Ndidi does not and we all saw how he faded against South Africa. Also with Success and Etebo starting, we will win a lot of free-kicks and Etebo is good with free-kicks. We need to be smart and tactical and we have seen how a team like Chile totally outplayed and beat Cameroon yesterday. We can bring Ndidi in to shore up the midfield when we are leading. We must not forget we have a 4 point lead and we should do everything to protect it.
I am happy
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Will start Esiti in place of Onazi and Ideye in place of Iheanacho.
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

there is no way the SE will overcome Cameroon, playing the likes of Simon Moses, Awazie, Shehu, Apkeye, along with a manger ( 4 competitive games and counting) that gets clueless every 2nd half, the midfield collapse's every time..pass, pass, pass no bites
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Abbey wrote:Will start Esiti in place of Onazi and Ideye in place of Iheanacho.
Hell no. God forbid.

You want to replace our best player against South Africa who broke up countless attacks, with an unknown who is noted for his slow pace. Are you crazy.

Then you want to replace a guy who has the best scoring ratio of any SE in history with a guy who IS KNOWN NOT TO SCORE. A non scoring striker.

Are you from Cameroon ?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Onazi is a must against Cameroon.

The haters can hate all they want, but Onazi will start 100%

Nobody covers as much ground an breaks up as much plays as Onazi. Much has been said about Etebo but truth is he cannot even clean Onazis boots when it comes to his pressing and defensive play.

Just like the haters told us we didn't need Mikel.

Onazi and Mikel not only give us experience, but they control the midfield.

I don't know why we like to attack our heroes who have she'd their blood and sweat on the pitch and then elevate some junk player to replace them.

It is an insult.
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Will start Esiti in place of Onazi and Ideye in place of Iheanacho.
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

you people are funny, una dey shout will start this and will start that..smh..Cameroon dey build team chemistry, whereas you WOWO is tieing the likes of Corsica, losing at home to South AFrica..kai smh... and you have picnic that jinxes the SE, since the Joker became NFF chairman the SE don turn local number and participant ( never qualified for a major tourney under his tenure )
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Abbey wrote:Will start Esiti in place of Onazi and Ideye in place of Iheanacho.
Will Esiti even be invited? Lets make baby steps, let him get invited first before thinking of taking a starters' spot...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!