Now that the dust is settled, the SA match, the future...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ahidjo
Egg
Egg
Now that the dust is settled, the SA match, the future...

Post by Ahidjo »

We have just been roundly and comprehensively beaten by a better Bafana Bafana team and the same knee jerk reactions, as always have continued to pervaded the discussion space: shift the venue, fire the coach, blame NFF, blame everybody that played, regard every player that was benched or not invited as a potential game changer (One veteran coach said it that whenever a team loses, every player that did not play becomes a hero). We always comfortable rehashing the same thing each time we are beaten without doing anything to study in details, why we failed. The latest is that the Uyo stadium is cursed. The question is; by who and against who? Is the curse specifically tailored against SE. I am interested in knowing the detailed plan of how this curse was hatched so I can use such to my advantage.
Anyway, I hope that the coach and the crew will sit and make adjustments as needed to avoid a potential "life-threatening" non-qualification for both AFCON and the world cup. This is one heck of a humbling moment by “noisy” Nigerians. Well, before the South African game, almost everybody was in agreement that the assembled players were not too far from the ideal collection of the best young talents across the globe. Nobody, I mean nobody saw the result coming. There was this audacious optimism from almost everyone regarding the level of preparations as well as the quality of invited players, with little regard to the absence of key actors like Victor Moses, Mikel, Balogun and Ikeme.
Now that we have lost the first round game at a time we still have time to make amends, we must look critically at why we lost and how to avoid any further slip. My observations from the last game
Goalkeeping: Can we really say that Dan Akpenyi is the second best Nigeria keeper at the moment? Is Dele Aiyenugba worse that Dan Akpenyi. Are there no good keepers in the Nigerian league or elsewhere?
Defense
Where can we get rugged and no-nonsense defenders, especially for full back positions. The lilly-livered and heart hearted defending we do these days can only sustain us for a short period before we are found out. We are too immobile at the back and the transition from that back is too slow. The only mobile Nigerian defender of late is Ambrose Efe. I rarely see Echiejile slide defenders! We need lions at the back not sissies. Shehu is not strong and rugged enough to be playing in the defense.
Midfielders
This is where our main problem starts: The game against South Africa exposed our incapacitation. Ndidi, despite his exploits at Leicester City was awful; sluggish, outpaced by South Africans, beaten to the ball, more than two misplaced headers in the box, failed totally to assert any control in the middle. Was not rugged, hard nor fast enough. Yes, that was the story of our midfielders for most part of the game. Ogenyi Onazi, despite all the hypes, is too slow and sluggish in initiating attacks. His passes are mostly way off and has low quality techniques. He is slow (watch his speed as the South Africans raced to score the second goal). Yes, he hustles but that can only take you so far. Is Ogenyi Onazi really better than Azubuike Okechukwu (who just made the team of the year in Turkey. He is a battler and a warrior), Kelechi Nwakali and a more mobile Usman Mohammed. Well, we need mobility in the middle. The south Africans were running all game and threatened with each of those runs. John Ogu might be slow but makes that up with his strength and tailor-made short and long passes. Etebo-no comment.
Attack
From what we saw against South Africa, we had no attack. Fielding Iheanacho, Moses and Iwobi against a physical team is like playing with 3 players down. We cannot continue to gamble with some lily livered attack and expect to win. With a well prepared team like South Africa and Cameroun, no serious defender will allow you to score some cheap goals that we were waiting to score against south Africa without working hard for it. We need very physically strong attackers who can harass defenders to submission. Why are we not inviting Anichebe?. Peter Odenwigie, one of our best performers at the 2014 world cup still has what it takes to do better than what we have in attack, despite playing in Indonesia. Iwobi and Iheanacho can perform when they are surrounded by equally sound players. The introduction of Kayode and Osimehn actually brought life into our attack. I have a feeling that if the game had extended, we would have pulled at least a goal back. Despite the Onyekuru hype, I am yet to see what he will bring to the team, after watching many of his youtube clips. He looks too fragile to harass any serious defender. We need tall and strong attackers. Enough of all these “shortees”

Overall team performance
We have too many “soft” and “short” players in our team. No warriors! Techniques and transitions are poor and slow. We seem to have the same type of players in our team. We must look inwards and get players that can win games for us, I mean skilled and intelligent fighters. Players that are smart enough to know what to do under different circumstances. We should stay away from fielding timid players. We need lion-hearted players that can take risks. Every game needs different strategy, tactics and players. In Africa, we will be gambling to use same players all the time. Believe it or not, this is not the 90s when we had clear edge over other countries. Every time we lose in Nigeria, we lose a physically stronger team.
Biggest problems of the day
Immobility and laziness, poor quality techniques (for example, all long balls sent to Iheanacho by Etebo and Onazi, went out of touch), timidity, poor transition, lack of physicality, lack of pace, not making use of pace, unnecessary use of long balls, inability to read the game… Finally, the South Africans were better in every department of the game. The could have scored more with the way we shambolically defended.
These are just my views and observations…
joao
Egg
Egg
Re: Now that the dust is settled, the SA match, the future..

Post by joao »

We have too many “soft” and “short” players in our team. No warriors! Techniques and transitions are poor and slow. We seem to have the same type of players in our team. We must look inwards and get players that can win games for us, I mean skilled and intelligent fighters.

Great observations.
How can anyone justify lobbing high balls to short players?
We are not playing to our potential, and barely thinking things through
during the game. Aggressive attitude without brains would not cut it in
the modern game.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

joao wrote:Great observations.
How can anyone justify lobbing high balls to short players?
We are not playing to our potential, and barely thinking things through
during the game. Aggressive attitude without brains would not cut it in
the modern game.
Why don't you ask the coach?
Perhaps 'agents' tried to bribe him to play the ball on the ground - and he rejected them!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Ahidjo wrote:We have just been roundly and comprehensively beaten by a better Bafana Bafana team and the same knee jerk reactions, as always have continued to pervaded the discussion space: shift the venue, fire the coach, blame NFF, blame everybody that played, regard every player that was benched or not invited as a potential game changer (One veteran coach said it that whenever a team loses, every player that did not play becomes a hero). We always comfortable rehashing the same thing each time we are beaten without doing anything to study in details, why we failed. The latest is that the Uyo stadium is cursed. The question is; by who and against who? Is the curse specifically tailored against SE. I am interested in knowing the detailed plan of how this curse was hatched so I can use such to my advantage.
Anyway, I hope that the coach and the crew will sit and make adjustments as needed to avoid a potential "life-threatening" non-qualification for both AFCON and the world cup. This is one heck of a humbling moment by “noisy” Nigerians. Well, before the South African game, almost everybody was in agreement that the assembled players were not too far from the ideal collection of the best young talents across the globe. Nobody, I mean nobody saw the result coming. There was this audacious optimism from almost everyone regarding the level of preparations as well as the quality of invited players, with little regard to the absence of key actors like Victor Moses, Mikel, Balogun and Ikeme.
Now that we have lost the first round game at a time we still have time to make amends, we must look critically at why we lost and how to avoid any further slip. My observations from the last game
Goalkeeping: Can we really say that Dan Akpenyi is the second best Nigeria keeper at the moment? Is Dele Aiyenugba worse that Dan Akpenyi. Are there no good keepers in the Nigerian league or elsewhere?
Defense
Where can we get rugged and no-nonsense defenders, especially for full back positions. The lilly-livered and heart hearted defending we do these days can only sustain us for a short period before we are found out. We are too immobile at the back and the transition from that back is too slow. The only mobile Nigerian defender of late is Ambrose Efe. I rarely see Echiejile slide defenders! We need lions at the back not sissies. Shehu is not strong and rugged enough to be playing in the defense.
Midfielders
This is where our main problem starts: The game against South Africa exposed our incapacitation. Ndidi, despite his exploits at Leicester City was awful; sluggish, outpaced by South Africans, beaten to the ball, more than two misplaced headers in the box, failed totally to assert any control in the middle. Was not rugged, hard nor fast enough. Yes, that was the story of our midfielders for most part of the game. Ogenyi Onazi, despite all the hypes, is too slow and sluggish in initiating attacks. His passes are mostly way off and has low quality techniques. He is slow (watch his speed as the South Africans raced to score the second goal). Yes, he hustles but that can only take you so far. Is Ogenyi Onazi really better than Azubuike Okechukwu (who just made the team of the year in Turkey. He is a battler and a warrior), Kelechi Nwakali and a more mobile Usman Mohammed. Well, we need mobility in the middle. The south Africans were running all game and threatened with each of those runs. John Ogu might be slow but makes that up with his strength and tailor-made short and long passes. Etebo-no comment.
Attack
From what we saw against South Africa, we had no attack. Fielding Iheanacho, Moses and Iwobi against a physical team is like playing with 3 players down. We cannot continue to gamble with some lily livered attack and expect to win. With a well prepared team like South Africa and Cameroun, no serious defender will allow you to score some cheap goals that we were waiting to score against south Africa without working hard for it. We need very physically strong attackers who can harass defenders to submission. Why are we not inviting Anichebe?. Peter Odenwigie, one of our best performers at the 2014 world cup still has what it takes to do better than what we have in attack, despite playing in Indonesia. Iwobi and Iheanacho can perform when they are surrounded by equally sound players. The introduction of Kayode and Osimehn actually brought life into our attack. I have a feeling that if the game had extended, we would have pulled at least a goal back. Despite the Onyekuru hype, I am yet to see what he will bring to the team, after watching many of his youtube clips. He looks too fragile to harass any serious defender. We need tall and strong attackers. Enough of all these “shortees”

Overall team performance
We have too many “soft” and “short” players in our team. No warriors! Techniques and transitions are poor and slow. We seem to have the same type of players in our team. We must look inwards and get players that can win games for us, I mean skilled and intelligent fighters. Players that are smart enough to know what to do under different circumstances. We should stay away from fielding timid players. We need lion-hearted players that can take risks. Every game needs different strategy, tactics and players. In Africa, we will be gambling to use same players all the time. Believe it or not, this is not the 90s when we had clear edge over other countries. Every time we lose in Nigeria, we lose a physically stronger team.
Immobility and laziness, poor quality techniques (for example, all long balls sent to Iheanacho by Etebo and Onazi, went out of touch), timidity, poor transition, lack of physicality, lack of pace, not making use of pace, unnecessary use of long balls, inability to read the game… Finally, the South Africans were better in every department of the game. The could have scored more with the way we shambolically defended.
Not again!...We dont need big physical players to perform well. Football is about skill and intelligence! The Spanish team that dominated from 2008 to 2012 was one of the shortest and smallest team yet they were the best technically. Cameroon has one of the most physical teams! Please remind me when they last won a world cup match???..It is very funny to hear people say we need big physical players in order to beat Cameroon. Lol. I believe Rohr himself also made such statement , which is very shocking and makes me wonder if this coach is competent enough!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

gochino wrote:
Ahidjo wrote:We have just been roundly and comprehensively beaten by a better Bafana Bafana team and the same knee jerk reactions, as always have continued to pervaded the discussion space: shift the venue, fire the coach, blame NFF, blame everybody that played, regard every player that was benched or not invited as a potential game changer (One veteran coach said it that whenever a team loses, every player that did not play becomes a hero). We always comfortable rehashing the same thing each time we are beaten without doing anything to study in details, why we failed. The latest is that the Uyo stadium is cursed. The question is; by who and against who? Is the curse specifically tailored against SE. I am interested in knowing the detailed plan of how this curse was hatched so I can use such to my advantage.
Defense
Midfielders
Attack

Overall team performance
Not again!...We dont need big physical players to perform well. Football is about skill and intelligence! The Spanish team that dominated from 2008 to 2012 was one of the shortest and smallest team yet they were the best technically. Cameroon has one of the most physical teams! Please remind me when they last won a world cup match???..It is very funny to hear people say we need big physical players in order to beat Cameroon. Lol. I believe Rohr himself also made such statement , which is very shocking and makes me wonder if this coach is competent enough!
Thank you, can you imagine, uninformed folks confidently spewing garbage, Rohr is clueless
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I have a gutsy feeling Rohr won't last long on the job...something tells me he will pull an "Oliseh" and quit at a very critical stage, I hope my fears are wrong.
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

When i saw invite Anichebe and Osaze i started to agree with you.
I think we should also invite Yakubu, Emenike and Uchebo , they are big and strong.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

The funny thing is that we had the second youngest team at the last world cup and also the heaviest and most physical team, yet we could only advance to the second round due to a legit goal against us that was disallowed.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

gochino wrote:The funny thing is that we had the second youngest team at the last world cup and also the heaviest and most physical team, yet we could only advance to the second round due to a legit goal against us that was disallowed.
"A legit goal against us" or denied us (we were denied of)?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The NFF still refuse to learn. People like Chris Green should not be any where near the NFF. I think the problem is that the NFF is too political. Appointments should be based on merit not elections. Chris Green is not qualified for his role. I think we need start from there. Build a solid foundation.

Why can't we broadcast every game over the air for free?

Why can't we have a strong league?

Why can't we develop our local coaches?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

ohenhen1 wrote:The NFF still refuse to learn. People like Chris Green should not be any where near the NFF. I think the problem is that the NFF is too political. Appointments should be based on merit not elections. Chris Green is not qualified for his role. I think we need start from there. Build a solid foundation.

Why can't we broadcast every game over the air for free?

Why can't we have a strong league?

Why can't we develop our local coaches?
We can continue to "why can't we" for decades to come, this wishful conjectures won't change shyt!! the problem starts and ends with the NFF, until those rogues are stamped out of our football completely, we will continue to tell the same story.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

imehjunior wrote:When i saw invite Anichebe and Osaze i started to agree with you.
I think we should also invite Yakubu, Emenike and Uchebo , they are big and strong.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Odas wrote:
gochino wrote:The funny thing is that we had the second youngest team at the last world cup and also the heaviest and most physical team, yet we could only advance to the second round due to a legit goal against us that was disallowed.
bosnia scored a legit goal against us but the refree disallowed the goal
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

gochino wrote:
Odas wrote:
It's NOT a legit goal if it was disallowed...
And as far as I know, the ref was not punished for disallowing it.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

People mention the Bosnia goal, but conveniently forget Nigeria scored a perfectly good goal vs Iran that was scratched off.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

imehjunior wrote:When i saw invite Anichebe and Osaze i started to agree with you.
why stop there? Yekini, Uncle Sege and maybe thompson usiyen
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

gochino wrote:
Odas wrote:
I see! I get what you mean now
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

marutimon wrote:People mention the Bosnia goal, but conveniently forget Nigeria scored a perfectly good goal vs Iran that was scratched off.
You can even add the 'goal' against France...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Ahidjo wrote: ....Enough of all these “shortees
Overall team performance
We have too many “soft” and “short” players in our team.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :laugh: :rotf: :laugh:
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Blah blah blah blah...

With a population of over 160 million (they claim) you can only go to Europe to get rejects with Nigerian names and you think you're going anywhere?
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.