IFAB PROPOSES SCRAPPING OF 45-MINUTE HALVES

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
IFAB PROPOSES SCRAPPING OF 45-MINUTE HALVES

Post by anointed »

Football reforms: Scrapping 45-minute half to be debated at Ifab

By Mandeep Sanghera

Under one of the suggested new rule changes, Xabi Alonso's goal in the 2005 Champions League final would not be allowed - as it was scored from a penalty rebound

A proposal to scrap 45-minute halves is to be looked at by football's lawmakers to deter time-wasting.

Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play.

Lawmaking body the International Football Association Board (Ifab) says matches only see about 60 minutes of "effective playing time" out of 90.

The idea is one of several put forward in a new strategy document designed to address football's "negativities".

Another proposal would see players not being allowed to follow up and score if a penalty is saved - if the spot-kick "is not successful", play would stop and a goal-kick awarded.

Other ideas include a stadium clock linked to a referee's watch and a new rule allowing players to effectively pass to themselves or dribble the ball when taking a free-kick.

This is where it gets interesting. One of the proposals would allow being able to dribble straight from a free-kick to "encourage attacking play as the player who is fouled can stop the ball and then immediately continue their dribble/attacking move". Other measures include:
◾passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick
◾a stadium clock which stops and starts along with the referee's watch
◾allowing the goal-kick to be taken even if the ball is moving
◾a goal-kick being taken on the same side that the ball went out on
◾a "clearer and more consistent definition" of handball
◾a player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card
◾a keeper who handles a backpass or throw-in from a team-mate concedes a penalty
◾the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line
◾referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play
◾a penalty kick is either scored or missed/saved and players cannot follow up to score to stop encroachment into the penalty area
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/gossip
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: IFAB PROPOSES SCRAPPING OF 45-MINUTE HALVES

Post by tfco »

:roll:

in essence, let's adopt this

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

tfco wrote::roll:

Na dat wan you dey look?

How about dis wan?
◾the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line
Don't you wish that rule was in effect before Suarez wayo'ed you guys out of WC 2010? :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

I remember this atrocity. :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Some of the proposed rules makes no sense. They better be careful before they destroy the game.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote:Some of the proposed rules makes no sense. They better be careful before they destroy the game.
Actually, I love several of the proposed rule changes and it will reduce the rubbish players do on the field to waste time or find ways to cheat their way to victory.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote:Some of the proposed rules makes no sense. They better be careful before they destroy the game.
Actually, I love several of the proposed rule changes and it will reduce the rubbish players do on the field to waste time or find ways to cheat their way to victory.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

Enugu II wrote:
I don't know about this. For example, the business of stopping the clock each time the ball goes out. I call this the Americanization of soccer. Reminds me of basketball in the NBA and American Football in the NFL. In soccer when they want to waste time, they take the ball to the corner flag or play it around the back. Stopping the clock does not address most of these issues. The nice thing with different sports is the different rules. Trying to optimize these rules does not necessarily mean the sport is progressing.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...stopping the clock? hmm, the yanks are back, next they will suggest no more heading the ball :laugh:
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

anointed wrote:
This rule should be applied retroactively :winking:
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Rawlings wrote:
anointed wrote:
This rule should be applied retroactively :winking:
I'm pretty sure that the Ghana - Uruguay 2010 1/4 final was the main reason as to this change. Fact is that Ghana were the moral winners here. Shame that doesn't count for much more than that... I'm also sure they would have played the Netherlands better than Uruguay did.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote:
I actually would love to see them all tried out at some point. The clock one I especially love cos it might help reduce time wasting. So far the video review has been a success.

They can scrap those that don't translate well on the field...just like they did the kick-in instead of throw-in that they tried at Japan 93.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

sarkin doya wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
I don't know about this. For example, the business of stopping the clock each time the ball goes out. I call this the Americanization of soccer. Reminds me of basketball in the NBA and American Football in the NFL. In soccer when they want to waste time, they take the ball to the corner flag or play it around the back. Stopping the clock does not address most of these issues. The nice thing with different sports is the different rules. Trying to optimize these rules does not necessarily mean the sport is progressing.
Nothing wrong with taking the ball to the corner flag to run down the clock. Technically the ball is live and the other team has a chance to try and get the ball unlike when players feign injury and lie on the ground making it a dead ball she's the click is still running (albeit added later in injury time).
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

the way Africa teams waste time when playing away and in favorable position is real headache - so maybe the 30mins clock stop will help.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

theYemster wrote:
sarkin doya wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Nothing wrong with taking the ball to the corner flag to run down the clock. Technically the ball is live and the other team has a chance to try and get the ball unlike when players feign injury and lie on the ground making it a dead ball she's the click is still running (albeit added later in injury time).
KPOM. I love the fact that you can dribble the ball from a free kick. It will create more action. I would love a review of the red card rule as a refereeing error from those significantly affect the result of a game. Either it is changed or a video replay is used to confirm.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

mcal wrote:...stopping the clock? hmm, the yanks are back, next they will suggest no more heading the ball :laugh:
Make we kuku Americanize the whole thing.

Get the ball out of your own half within 1 minute or it will be a half field violation.

If in the opponent's half, you have 2 minutes to register an attempt on goal or it will be a goal kick to the opponent.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

danfo driver wrote:

I remember this atrocity. :lol: :lol:
I remember it well too, the year I moved to the states. Watched a clip and wondered Wtf I was watching.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Enugu II wrote:
I don't mind stopping time in dead ball situations, there's nothing more annoying than when players waste time on purpose.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.