Play for a draw against Cameroon over the two legs

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Play for a draw against Cameroon over the two legs

Post by Odas »

bret- hart wrote:
Robotnik wrote:After watching today's match (Cameroon vs Chile) and Nigeria vs South Africa do people still think we can beat Cameroon in Uyo (or anywhere in the country)?

With six points and a 4-point lead in the group Nigeria does not need to go all out to win against Cameroon in any of the two legs. It's like playing a game where you are 2 goals up. You need to defend that lead let the other team come at you and then hit on counter. Nigeria's attack is more potent when playing on the counter. It has been proven in recent times that we struggle when teams bunker. It took the creative Chileans 80 mins to break through Cameroon's defence. With Nigeria's slow build up in attack I am afraid we will struggle to breakdown this kind of organized defence. Honestly it will take a while before the team to attack with the fluidity and intelligence of the Chileans. Cameroon's attack is not that potent, they would have to come forward if the want to get the world cup ticket. The intention should be to win be we must be smart. Two draws leaves us ahead by 4 points. Algeria will to travel to Cameroon and Zambia still have to play in Nigeria.
No way man. We need to go for the kill. 4-6pts should do it and yes as bad as we were vs SA, we can beat this Cameroon side. We just have to make the right selections. Ikeme in goal, Balogun in defence, Mikel in midfield and Moses and Ideye going forward, The rest p the team picks itself. Seriously tho if we cant beat these clowns east of Nigeria we might as well let Zambia and Algeria fight for the ticket. Cameroon is a garbage team.
KPAM! :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: If we can't get three points from Cameroon, one way or the other - especially in our home game - then we should forget about the World Cup intirely
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

dhoney wrote:If we don`t recall the experience dudes, we will be beaten blue and black by Cameroun home and away..you can take that to the bank. You cant just take "ajebotas" to go and face those UFC fighters, they will maim our boys
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Judocas!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Dammy wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:I kind of agree after watching the Chile match, but it's not so much that we should park the bus but rather focus on defence first. We do not need to chase the match, we need to play smart and tactical.

If I am correct Cameroon will sit back in the first leg assuming we will attack them for the kill and hope to beat us on the counter. Let them do this. We can attack them sparingly without losing our defensive shape and when they figure they need to attack us we will absorb and counter.

Ahmed Musa may actually be a key sub in these series , especially in the away match where Cameroon may need to come out more for the win.

One thing we must not do in the first leg is think we need to attack them all out. We must focus on defence first, and attack strategically.

********************IKEME************************

AINA********BALOGUN*****TROOST*****ECHIJELE

***************ONAZI********NDIDI*****************

**********************MIKEL************************

SUCCESS***********************************MOSES

************************IHEANACHO****************

Have Success and Iheanacho interchanging positions. Success can give us the steel and power without losing the techmique.

Subs

Iwobi
Onyekuru
Ighalo
VE, I like your lineup, the only change i will make is bring in Etebo for Ndidi. The reason is that the Cameroonians are a very physical team and they like to grind out their opponents just like they did to Egypt in the CAN2017 final. Etebo and Onazi have the physicals to match them just like they did against Algeria. Ndidi does not and we all saw how he faded against South Africa. Also with Success and Etebo starting, we will win a lot of free-kicks and Etebo is good with free-kicks. We need to be smart and tactical and we have seen how a team like Chile totally outplayed and beat Cameroon yesterday. We can bring Ndidi in to shore up the midfield when we are leading. We must not forget we have a 4 point lead and we should do everything to protect it.
Great line-up, VE. And, Thumbs up, Dammy. I hope Rohr and the NFF are listening. Meanwhile, has Aina been cleared by FIFA?
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

bully12 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:I kind of agree after watching the Chile match, but it's not so much that we should park the bus but rather focus on defence first. We do not need to chase the match, we need to play smart and tactical.

If I am correct Cameroon will sit back in the first leg assuming we will attack them for the kill and hope to beat us on the counter. Let them do this. We can attack them sparingly without losing our defensive shape and when they figure they need to attack us we will absorb and counter.

Ahmed Musa may actually be a key sub in these series , especially in the away match where Cameroon may need to come out more for the win.

One thing we must not do in the first leg is think we need to attack them all out. We must focus on defence first, and attack strategically.

Have Success and Iheanacho interchanging positions. Success can give us the steel and power without losing the techmique.

Subs

Iwobi
Onyekuru
Ighalo
If Rohr is dynamic enough he will definitely go for this lineup . Your lineup seems very formidable unfortunately Rohr is extremely conservative to my disliking. He rather goes with the devil he knows than the angel he does not know. Watch him feature Etebo, Shehu Kelechi , Simon Moses and Musa expecting a miraculous victory for his team.
I will not be surprise if SE didn't qualify for any of the major tournaments with him as the SE manager. His antecedents speak volume of his career accomplishments. I have this trepidation we will regret ever hiring him. I hope and pray my trepidation never come true.
Your lineup really looks good but I differ with Kelechi , he has surely deteriorated ,. Incessantly sitting on City's bench is adversely impacting him. He should be allowed to sort himself out before given him as starting shirt again
Thank you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Obong wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Subs

Iwobi
Onyekuru
Ighalo
VE, I like your lineup, the only change i will make is bring in Etebo for Ndidi. The reason is that the Cameroonians are a very physical team and they like to grind out their opponents just like they did to Egypt in the CAN2017 final. Etebo and Onazi have the physicals to match them just like they did against Algeria. Ndidi does not and we all saw how he faded against South Africa. Also with Success and Etebo starting, we will win a lot of free-kicks and Etebo is good with free-kicks. We need to be smart and tactical and we have seen how a team like Chile totally outplayed and beat Cameroon yesterday. We can bring Ndidi in to shore up the midfield when we are leading. We must not forget we have a 4 point lead and we should do everything to protect it.
Great line-up, VE. And, Thumbs up, Dammy. I hope Rohr and the NFF are listening. Meanwhile, has Aina been cleared by FIFA?
First time playing on African soil and weather and you just want to throw Aina into a massive game against Cameroon. think twice.
Success?? still asking why he was not in Uyo?? do you know if he will match fit 8weeks from now??
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I'll start Ogu ahead of Onazi if I were a coach facing a team like Cameroon, aside from the physical presence he and Mikel will provide for our back 4, both players are not erratic while in possession and can pass the ball well...Onazi will most likely concede posession to the plantainians and that could be dangerous for us for obvious reasons, and another player I wish I could see is Okechukwu Azubuike...dude has always been a very good midfielder who gets no recognition or love; ditto Usman.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

walesvilla wrote:
Obong wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Subs

Iwobi
Onyekuru
Ighalo
First time playing on African soil and weather and you just want to throw Aina into a massive game against Cameroon. think twice.
Success?? still asking why he was not in Uyo?? do you know if he will match fit 8weeks from now??
Aina will do just fine, and I noticed VE had him on the RB? for crying out loud Aina is a LB not a RB.
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Why is everyone saying to take Iheanacho out?

I think Iheanacho would be the better striker for this type of game especially if you have a strong midfield along with Mikel and Moses playing. His off the ball movement is second to none and with support from Success they both could easily draw fouls in dangerous areas. We talk about wanting to win games that's one of the ways to think about this.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Tobi17 wrote:
walesvilla wrote:
Obong wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Subs

Iwobi
Onyekuru
Ighalo
Aina will do just fine, and I noticed VE had him on the RB? for crying out loud Aina is a LB not a RB.
Aina is a RB who occasionally plays LB.
I am happy
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Subs

Iwobi
Onyekuru
Ighalo
Against Cameroon we are going to need some physical presence and quick movement in the box. I think Nacho should drop back to his support position and Kayode/Ideye should lead the line. We have to use our heads in this game, we need to move the ball quickly, keep our shape, be disciplined and cut out the fancy footwork we were trying to display against SA.

Quick movement will draw a few hard tackles and Rohr needs to instruct the boys to roll the whole length of the field at the slightest tackle. A few early yellow cards and it will make them more cautious. Mikel is still recovering and I'm not sure he would have had enough playing time under his belt to be in the match day line up. Iwobi is still struggling, so this might be one position to worry about. Etebo had a bad day in the office against SA. If we are going to have to rely on him, lets hope that performance was a one off.

Success hasn't done much to warrant a call up (lacks the tactical discipline for a game like this IMO) and I doubt he is on Rohrs radar. Rohr should revert to experienced hands for this encounter and let the rookies watch from the sidelines. Aina?? I would rather recall Ambrose. If Ikeme isn't going be fit, we may have to consider extending the olive branch to Magnet. Akpeyi has no business in the SE, that dude is a frigging bag of nerves.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Just to add, Musa and Victor Moses should run the flanks and make direct runs cutting in to draw fouls in and around the 18 yard box, as crossing the ball in won't be as effective. Aerially the IL are adequate at the back. In the meantime, Rohr needs to find a marquee player to take free kicks, since JJ we have been lacking in this department.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Bigpokey24 wrote:there is no way the SE will overcome Cameroon, playing the likes of Simon Moses, Awazie, Shehu, Apkeye, along with a manger ( 4 competitive games and counting) that gets clueless every 2nd half, the midfield collapse's every time..pass, pass, pass no bites
Yup! Is terrible at half time adjustments. Typically waits too long to effect change that even the fans can see are due...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Subs

Iwobi
Onyekuru
Ighalo
Enyeama will come back in goal and settle the defenders.

I would play a RB in place of Echijele... he offers NOTHING!

Ndidi's last indisciplined display should cost him a spot on the team. Will only play him if he will actually sit in front of the back four along with Etebo. If not, I will like someone like Azubuike Okechukwu pairing with Anderson Esiti

Not a fan of Onazi, gives away the ball too often for my taste but I loved his effort in the last game.

I would bench Iheanacho as well...Will take Kayode or Osimhen.

---------------Enyeama------------

Shehu-----Ekong---Balogun--------????

--------Etebo----Azubuike/Esiti-------

Musa------------Mikel----------VicMo

----------------Kayode/Nacho--------------
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Robotnik wrote:After watching today's match (Cameroon vs Chile) and Nigeria vs South Africa do people still think we can beat Cameroon in Uyo (or anywhere in the country)?

With six points and a 4-point lead in the group Nigeria does not need to go all out to win against Cameroon in any of the two legs. It's like playing a game where you are 2 goals up. You need to defend that lead let the other team come at you and then hit on counter. Nigeria's attack is more potent when playing on the counter. It has been proven in recent times that we struggle when teams bunker. It took the creative Chileans 80 mins to break through Cameroon's defence. With Nigeria's slow build up in attack I am afraid we will struggle to breakdown this kind of organized defence. Honestly it will take a while before the team to attack with the fluidity and intelligence of the Chileans. Cameroon's attack is not that potent, they would have to come forward if the want to get the world cup ticket. The intention should be to win be we must be smart. Two draws leaves us ahead by 4 points. Algeria will to travel to Cameroon and Zambia still have to play in Nigeria.

It took exactly 53 secs!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

txj wrote:

It took exactly 53 secs!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Only? Are you sure of that - Sir? Are you using when the Chileans almost scored but didn't to come-up with the statement?
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

You guys should stop figuring out how to beat Cameroon, for the team can be easily beaten. Infact, it´s a mystery how they won the ANC given their display so far in the Cc. If I didnt know better, I´ld attribute their win in the ANC to witchcraft. Horrible team!smh
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

witchcraft ke? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The Goddess wrote:You guys should stop figuring out how to beat Cameroon, for the team can be easily beaten. Infact, it´s a mystery how they won the ANC given their display so far in the Cc. If I didnt know better, I´ld attribute their win in the ANC to witchcraft. Horrible team!smh
Cameroon currently is not a good team, you are right. But they are a stubborn team. With the way we played South Africa I am not so confident against a stubborn team.
Spicyee
Egg
Egg

Post by Spicyee »

I would go with:

----------------------Enyeama-----------------------
Shehu---Balogun---Troost-Ekong---Any good LB from NPL
-------------Onazi--------Mikel-----------------
Musa-------------------Etebo---------------Moses
-----------------Kayode/Ideye--------------------

Subs:
Iheanacho
Ndidi
Ikeme
Esiti
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Enyeama
Shehu Balogun Ekong Anybody Else
Onazi Etebo
Mikel
V. Moses Iheanacho Ideye/Kayode
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Nigeria should not be playing for a draw at home. A Nigerian win in the home leg will demoralise Cameroon. A Nigerian draw however raises the scenario that Nigeria will have both Cameroon and Algeria breathing down Nigeria's necks, Algeria only 3 points behind, with 2 of Nigeria's final 3 games away in Cameroon and Algeria.
malamax
Egg
Egg

Post by malamax »

wiseone wrote:Nigeria should not be playing for a draw at home. A Nigerian win in the home leg will demoralise Cameroon. A Nigerian draw however raises the scenario that Nigeria will have both Cameroon and Algeria breathing down Nigeria's necks, Algeria only 3 points behind, with 2 of Nigeria's final 3 games away in Cameroon and Algeria.
I see a lot of guys are making emotional and patriotic but not realistic conclusions. Some even say Cameroon's ANC win was a fluke despite all the odds.It's only natural to support your country but to say Lions can easily be beaten home or away is a bit of a stretch. If you are a student of the african game Les Lions won ALL their ANC trophies on the road so the away fear factor is more a motivation. Also it's been years I believe since they last lost in Cameroon. Les Lions are one team that as much as you hate them don't forget to fear them coz they've been there and could hurt you if you make the mistake of taking them for granted. Eagles are not performing well lately and that's a fact. Uyo has not been a formidable place that put's fear in many visitors. Congo also came there and silenced the crowd just a few years back. I'd say eagles could win if they up their game.
ataka
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

malamax wrote:
wiseone wrote:Nigeria should not be playing for a draw at home. A Nigerian win in the home leg will demoralise Cameroon. A Nigerian draw however raises the scenario that Nigeria will have both Cameroon and Algeria breathing down Nigeria's necks, Algeria only 3 points behind, with 2 of Nigeria's final 3 games away in Cameroon and Algeria.
I see a lot of guys are making emotional and patriotic but not realistic conclusions. Some even say Cameroon's ANC win was a fluke despite all the odds.It's only natural to support your country but to say Lions can easily be beaten home or away is a bit of a stretch. If you are a student of the african game Les Lions won ALL their ANC trophies on the road so the away fear factor is more a motivation. Also it's been years I believe since they last lost in Cameroon. Les Lions are one team that as much as you hate them don't forget to fear them coz they've been there and could hurt you if you make the mistake of taking them for granted. Eagles are not performing well lately and that's a fact. Uyo has not been a formidable place that put's fear in many visitors. Congo also came there and silenced the crowd just a few years back. I'd say eagles could win if they up their game.
malamax,
Congo beat us in Calabar under Keshi, not Uyo. The two cities might be about 1 hour apart, but are indeed different venues.And, remember, the Super Eagles were undefeated under Rohr before the South African beating. We also have a strong team and can defend our home field once we correct the errors of the SA match.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"