Alternatives to Balogun

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Alternatives to Balogun

Post by Odas »

mojojojo wrote:Just get the best HB CBs.
Yeah! But unfortunately, the BEST home-based CBs may not be good enough either. Thus, ...
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

9jaMan wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Balogun is Nigeria best player.
Balogun is Nigeria's best defender, mikel is best midfielder and Victor Moses is the best attacker, without Balogun Algeria would have massacred the super eagles last year
Agreed!

Cmoke
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Our defense is just poor and that is underlined by the struggle here to crown Ekong or Balogun as our best. Neither is international class in my opinion. Awaziem had a poor game v South Africa but even then is better than Omeruo. People write about Omeruo's experience as if it makes a difference. What did that experience do for us when his error gifted Zambia a goal in the Wcq?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Sometimes, that is the best approach for a greenhorn at international football.
He will learn quickly from his mistakes.
marutimon wrote:Awaziem was just thrown into the deep end too early. Too many variables, Omeruo at least should have played because that would be one change less.
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

Enugu II wrote:Our defense is just poor and that is underlined by the struggle here to crown Ekong or Balogun as our best. Neither is international class in my opinion. Awaziem had a poor game v South Africa but even then is better than Omeruo. People write about Omeruo's experience as if it makes a difference. What did that experience do for us when his error gifted Zambia a goal in the Wcq?
Awaziem is not better than Omeruo.
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

lacidi wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Our defense is just poor and that is underlined by the struggle here to crown Ekong or Balogun as our best. Neither is international class in my opinion. Awaziem had a poor game v South Africa but even then is better than Omeruo. People write about Omeruo's experience as if it makes a difference. What did that experience do for us when his error gifted Zambia a goal in the Wcq?
Something really went amiss with Omeruo's career . He started brilliantly at the inception of his career out of sudden everything took a nose dive . He has never lived up to expectations . This is a common trend among our players. Do any person know why?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

lacidi wrote:
Okay oo! Fact is Omeruo is overhyped and we will revisit this in the near future. Just check out Nigeria's 2-1 win in Zambia when we talk about experience and watch the goal Nigeria conceded unforced.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

bully12 wrote:
lacidi wrote:
Something really went amiss with Omeruo's career . He started brilliantly at the inception of his career out of sudden everything took a nose dive . He has never lived up to expectations . This is a common trend among our players. Do any person know why?
i dont know why - maybe its just our nature as a country- peak too soon - once we get 1 min of success regression sets in- if players like Martins,Obinna Nsofor,Agahowa,and obabona, sunday mba, awoniyi,Musa had kept the fire as they started with Eagles will be no1 in Africa today
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

lacidi wrote:
Omeruo is our best defender; better than the afore mentioned trio. In fact, my choice for central defense would be Omeruo and Ambrose except for the fact that Ambrose is needed on the right so I go with Omeruo and Balogun :!:

Cheers.
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
lacidi wrote:
Omeruo is our best defender; better than the afore mentioned trio. In fact, my choice for central defense would be Omeruo and Ambrose except for the fact that Ambrose is needed on the right so I go with Omeruo and Balogun :!:

Cheers.

Ambrose? Efe Ambrose? The Efe Ambrose?? :???: The Celtic legend?

--------------------------------------------
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

F360 wrote:
lacidi wrote:

Cheers.

LOL :rotf: I think Nigeria can do better and Rohr is on track if only people will support the guy and his efforts. If he beats Cameroon, that should go a long way in gaining respect for the decisions that he has taken along the way.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Enugu II wrote:
F360 wrote:
lacidi wrote:

Cheers.

LOL :rotf: I think Nigeria can do better and Rohr is on track if only people will support the guy and his efforts. If he beats Cameroon, that should go a long way in gaining respect for the decisions that he has taken along the way.
Oh my God. What an outrageous statement. The guy is on track but SE was beaten 2 zero in our backyard by a team who has never beaten SE before both home and away in spite of overwhelmingly support he has been receiving from NFF. Indubitable the guy needs to improve in his players selection. Honestly I have strong doubts about his ability.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

lacidi wrote:
Awaziem is not even in the same ballpark
Shocking decision by ROhr to start him
That decision cost us the match vs Southafrica
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

F360 wrote:
lacidi wrote:

Cheers.

I guess you are one of those internet experts who read only the headlines and jump to stupid conclusions. Have you even followed Efe? If you had, you wouldn't make such retarded statements like the one above. The fact that a particular coach doesn't favor a particular player doesn't mean the player isn't class. Consider Conte and Mikel, Conte and Costa, Pepe and Nacho, etc. Are you going to put your foot in your big mouth by claiming that Mikel, Costa and Nacho are not very good, sorry great players? Did you know that Efe went on loan to a club where he was nothing short of outstanding and that he's been signed to a permanent contract? You should stick to reading fiction and comic books and stop commenting on football, something you know absolutely nothing about :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Balogun is decent, and Ekong is young so he will improve, but saying neither is international class? Come on. I agree with you that Omeruo is trash.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Omeruo is massively underrated.
He's been mostly dependable and did not look out of place at the 2014 World Cup. He was the best defender we had.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

marutimon wrote:Omeruo is massively underrated.
He's been mostly dependable and did not look out of place at the 2014 World Cup. He was the best defender we had.
He carried our back four at Rio especially Yobo
If not for him we would have crashed out in the first round
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

smartbrother wrote:
marutimon wrote:Omeruo is massively underrated.
He carried our back four at Rio especially Yobo
If not for him we would have crashed out in the first round
And people forget he is just 23! Which is baby years for a defender.
Omeruo is undroppable. Even if he doesn't start ahead of the Oyibo wall he needs to be on the bench as backup.

I really don't know why people are on Omeruo's case. He occasionally makes a mistake? Which defender doesn't?
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Omeruo is fine if we play him in the right position. When we played against Algeria he played as a left back. That's not his natural position. Play him as a Center back and he will do a job. I still think Ekong will massively improve.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

TheHitman47 wrote:Omeruo is fine if we play him in the right position. When we played against Algeria he played as a left back. That's not his natural position. Play him as a Center back and he will do a job. I still think Ekong will massively improve.
Did you watch the match or is that a mistake? Omeruo played LB?
I am happy
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

He played RB. Still not his natural position though.
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Dammy wrote:
TheHitman47 wrote:Omeruo is fine if we play him in the right position. When we played against Algeria he played as a left back. That's not his natural position. Play him as a Center back and he will do a job. I still think Ekong will massively improve.
Typo. But he was played out of position. He was responsible for Bentaleb's goal and the other near catastrophic blunders that we saw.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

TheHitman47 wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Typo. But he was played out of position. He was responsible for Bentaleb's goal and the other near catastrophic blunders that we saw.
Fiction. He wasn't responsible for Bentaleb's goal, go watch again, it was Onazi. The person that was beaten to the othe catastrophic blunder on our right was Etebo who was tracking back. He had a SOLID game against Algeria. But was at fault for Zambia's goal.