Daniel Amokachi Interview on ESPN Africa

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

F360
Egg
Egg
Daniel Amokachi Interview on ESPN Africa

Post by F360 »

The Bull is looking slimmer (and hopefully feeling fitter and healthier) these days

--------------------------------------------
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg
Re: Daniel Amokachi Interview on ESPN Africa

Post by Mr Shows »

Amooo! Good to see him making strides. Looks to be in a happy place :thumb:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Not exactly shy is he? He listed his accomplishments twice - at the start and end.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wiseone wrote:Not exactly shy is he? He listed his accomplishments twice - at the start and end.
He's proud of his accomplishments and rightly so.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Dan the Bull, cool dude indeed.
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

wiseone wrote:Not exactly shy is he? He listed his accomplishments twice - at the start and end.
Leave the Bull aloone jor! Let him list whatever accomplishments he wants to list five times even! :biggrin:

Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Great to see "The Bull" looking good. He was an outstanding talent and with him on the field during his time, you always believed that he could make something happen. Long live "The Bull"! :thumbs:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

As a player, as a coach, should become a football meme
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Goldleaf wrote:Great to see "The Bull" looking good. He was an outstanding talent and with him on the field during his time, you always believed that he could make something happen. Long live "The Bull"! :thumbs:

Amo on the field meant no slacking! God bless that man for what he did on the pitch for us.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I love that quote from the oppressed Homebase's player " oh boy you go drink coke????"
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I love that quote from the oppressed Homebase's player " oh boy you go drink coke????"
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Goldleaf wrote:Great to see "The Bull" looking good. He was an outstanding talent and with him on the field during his time, you always believed that he could make something happen. Long live "The Bull"! :thumbs:
I loved loved loved The Bull, and this exemplifies why. Too little is said of players that could single-handedly change a game...not because of their skill or technical ability perse, but just by their will. His ball control, for instance, wasn't the greatest...but he was such an intelligent player, and used his speed, strength and intelligence to make a way for his team. Any time we would be watching Nigeria, and the game would momentarily look lethargic, my dad would always ask this question..."Is Amokachi there?"

Amokachi was worth his weight in Gold for Nigeria. He may not lead the statistics tables, but for me, he was the best. Definitely my favorite eagle ever...Oga Jay Jay is close, but Amo for me, was a supreme difference maker. In fact, if you ask me to pick World's best 11, I would always pick Amokachi...not because he was the best support striker of all time, but because of this supreme ability to change a game. When Amo was on, your team was almost unbeatable.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

deanotito wrote:
I loved loved loved The Bull, and this exemplifies why. Too little is said of players that could single-handedly change a game...not because of their skill or technical ability perse, but just by their will. His ball control, for instance, wasn't the greatest...but he was such an intelligent player, and used his speed, strength and intelligence to make a way for his team. Any time we would be watching Nigeria, and the game would momentarily look lethargic, my dad would always ask this question..."Is Amokachi there?"

Amokachi was worth his weight in Gold for Nigeria. He may not lead the statistics tables, but for me, he was the best. Definitely my favorite eagle ever...Oga Jay Jay is close, but Amo for me, was a supreme difference maker. In fact, if you ask me to pick World's best 11, I would always pick Amokachi...not because he was the best support striker of all time, but because of this supreme ability to change a game. When Amo was on, your team was almost unbeatable.
Nice observation and hence the nickname, "The Bull."
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

deanotito wrote:

What player (doesnt have to be Nigerian) would you say is most like him right now?
I think maybe Lukaku is what I'd go with. Who would you all say plays most like Amo or has taken Amo's style to 2.0/the next level?

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:

What player (doesnt have to be Nigerian) would you say is most like him right now?
I think maybe Lukaku is what I'd go with. Who would you all say plays most like Amo or has taken Amo's style to 2.0/the next level?
I can't claim to have watched a whole lot of Lukaku, but in the little I've seen, I would say no. He looks the regular, run of the mill burly striker. I once almost slapped someone who compared Yakubu to The Bull. Its tempting for some people to lump big strikers together...Big pass Big.

In 20 yrs, the only Nigerian player that somewhat reminded me of Amokachi was Isaac Success. But I think Success is a bit too slow, so I am reevaluating. Amo was fast, strong and smart on the ball. Success appears smart and strong but I'm not sure he's as ball smart as Amokachi. Only time will tell.

On the world stage, gonna have to think hard....In sheer disruptive ability, I'd say Diego Costa...but Costa is obviously a much better Marksman than Amo was. Costa has this way of destabilizing a defense and bringing in teammates....obviously not as big or strong as Amo, but their smarts are similar.

In the 90s, I used to daydream of a strike partnership of Amo and The Extra Terrestrial himself, Ronaldo de Lima. Both of them on, playing for each other in a single game....I don't know if they can be stopped. I don't.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

deanotito wrote:
F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:

I can't claim to have watched a whole lot of Lukaku, but in the little I've seen, I would say no. He looks the regular, run of the mill burly striker. I once almost slapped someone who compared Yakubu to The Bull. Its tempting for some people to lump big strikers together...Big pass Big.

In 20 yrs, the only Nigerian player that somewhat reminded me of Amokachi was Isaac Success. But I think Success is a bit too slow, so I am reevaluating. Amo was fast, strong and smart on the ball. Success appears smart and strong but I'm not sure he's as ball smart as Amokachi. Only time will tell.

On the world stage, gonna have to think hard....In sheer disruptive ability, I'd say Diego Costa...but Costa is obviously a much better Marksman than Amo was. Costa has this way of destabilizing a defense and bringing in teammates....obviously not as big or strong as Amo, but their smarts are similar.

In the 90s, I used to daydream of a strike partnership of Amo and The Extra Terrestrial himself, Ronaldo de Lima. Both of them on, playing for each other in a single game....I don't know if they can be stopped. I don't.
Costa is arguably bigger than Amokachi. Amos game and physicality made him look bigger than he really was. I believe he is under 6 feet tall.
Also, Costa is always kicking, elbowing and provoking opponents, and diving. Amo was physical, but honest.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

maceo4 wrote:
He's proud of his accomplishments and rightly so.
Tacky imho. Nobody does this.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
deanotito wrote:
F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:

Costa is arguably bigger than Amokachi. Amos game and physicality made him look bigger than he really was. I believe he is under 6 feet tall.
Also, Costa is always kicking, elbowing and provoking opponents, and diving. Amo was physical, but honest.
Haba Chief. Costa bigger than Amokachi? I doubt that honestly. As for the honesty, I agree. But Costa's disruption is not primarily due to his dirty play. Its based on his intelligence and tenacity.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

deanotito wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
deanotito wrote:
F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:

Haba Chief. Costa bigger than Amokachi? I doubt that honestly. As for the honesty, I agree. But Costa's disruption is not primarily due to his dirty play. Its based on his intelligence and tenacity.
Costa is at least 6'2, while Amo is listed as 5'11. Dunno about their playing weights though.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
deanotito wrote:
F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:

Costa is at least 6'2, while Amo is listed as 5'11. Dunno about their playing weights though.
Not that this debate is terribly important, but, per wikipedia :) :

Diego Costa: 6'1, 192 lbs
Daniel Amokachi: 6'0, 181 lbs

Appears you are correct.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

deanotito wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Not that this debate is terribly important, but, per wikipedia :) :

Diego Costa: 6'1, 192 lbs
Daniel Amokachi: 6'0, 181 lbs

Appears you are correct.
Costa only "appears" smaller because he behaves like an annoying younger brother/pest (even though his face old pass Conte sef).

:lol: :lol: :lol:
AFCON 2019 sweet o