Hugo Broos: We. Need a striker.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Hugo Broos: We. Need a striker.

Post by bamenda boy »

Cameroon coach Hugo Broos admits his side are lacking a clinical striker as the Indomitable Lions struggle to score at the Confederations Cup.

The African champions missed several chances to beat Australia as they were held to a 1-1 draw on Thursday.

Porto's Vincent Aboubakar was guilty of failing to capitalise on more than one opportunity to score.

ADVERTISEMENT

"If you have one [striker] in mind, please tell me his name and I'll go straight away and see him," Broos said.

"We're searching, we're searching, we're searching and we keep on searching but you have to be able to find one. Someone who scores goals.

"Yes, it's very easy to say you haven't got players who score (but) you have to find them.

"You should know as someone from Cameroon that Cameroonian football is not as rich (in strikers) at the moment."

Cameroon failed to score in their opening match at the tournament in Russia as they lost 2-0 to Copa America winners Chile.

The results mean the Indomitable Lions must win their final group match against world champions Germany on Sunday to have any chance at all of progressing.

Defender Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui was the top scorer for Cameroon as they won the Africa Cup of Nations in January, he scored two of the team's seven goals in Gabon.

Despite a lack of finishing prowess Broos insists his side are making progress.

"A year ago we didn't even have a team. Today you have a team that won the Africa Cup of Nations and that's progress," the Belgian coach added.

"You should not think that winning the Africa Cup of Nations means that you can win the Confederations Cup and next year the World Cup.

That's not how it works. Let this team grow, let it get some experience and if tomorrow I can find someone who scores goals with his eyes closed, he'll be in my team."

Cameroon face crucial back-to-back games against Nigeria in 2018 World Cup qualifying at end of August and early September.

Nigeria top Group B with six points after two matches while Cameroon have just two, with only the pool winners qualifying for the World Cup in Russia next year.

Source BBC.com
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Hugo Broos: We. Need a striker.

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

he is trying to motivate Aboubakar. In any event, you guys still have Clinton...
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Hopefully they find one in October but not before then!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

This was obvious at the last ANC
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:he is trying to motivate Aboubakar. In any event, you guys still have Clinton...
Motivate? He s taking a dig at Aboubakar and rightly so. We don't only have Clinton Njie, there's Choupo Moting who can also play that role very well but whom the coach doesn't like. He has players but he makes dubious selections cos he doesn't like some.
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

I will not be too surprised if the King gets a call to help the team qualify for Russia and play the world cup. With the chances Abu had, the King would have had a hattrick against Australia
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

The Goddess wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:he is trying to motivate Aboubakar. In any event, you guys still have Clinton...
Motivate? He s taking a dig at Aboubakar and rightly so. We don't only have Clinton Njie, there's Choupo Moting who can also play that role very well but whom the coach doesn't like. He has players but he makes dubious selections cos he doesn't like some.

when he dissed Aboubakar at the ANC, the boy responded with that phenomenal winning goal. Broos knows what he is doing.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

I have an idea. How about we give Roger Milla shoes?
Hey camfoot people ... what happened to camfoot? They won't let me join that site anymore ...
Bepanda
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

bepanda wrote:I have an idea. How about we give Roger Milla shoes?
Hey camfoot people ... what happened to camfoot? They won't let me join that site anymore ...
Bepanda
It's not you. You joined Anglophones in crying for freedom but you they don't know that you were against the struggle.
They locked every one out including you. :taunt:
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Aboubakar is a good striker, he just had a bad day against Australia(shyt happens), hopefully he shuts his critics up with a good showing on Sunday against Germany
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Undertaker wrote:Hopefully they find one in October but not before then!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: He (they) should find one after we have played them in August and in Spettember
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

The Goddess wrote:
... that's ok, let him (the coach) continue to dig his grave. He will be asked to resign soon :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Tobi17 wrote:Aboubakar is a good striker, he just had a bad day against Australia(shyt happens), hopefully he shuts his critics up with a good showing on Sunday against Germany
...but he was about the same in the first game too against Chile.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Have Anglophone (or Ambazonian) FINALLY created their "own" forum? Where is it? Can I join to give my unbiased opinion? Or you guys only allow kumbayas?
Bepanda
bamenda boy wrote:
bepanda wrote:I have an idea. How about we give Roger Milla shoes?
Bepanda
It's not you. You joined Anglophones in crying for freedom but you they don't know that you were against the struggle.
They locked every one out including you. :taunt:
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

The Goddess wrote:

Hmmm Good luck with that team... Sad commentary.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Are there any French born Camerounians doing well in Europe that are interested in playing for the lions? Hope he doesn't find his striker till after the world cup qualifiers
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

olu wrote:Are there any French born Camerounians doing well in Europe that are interested in playing for the lions? Hope he doesn't find his striker till after the world cup qualifiers
Good for Nigeria that
Kilian Mbappe has declined playing for the lions.
Last edited by camex on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

I expect Jean-Pierre Nsame (top scorer in the Swiss second division, now will play in the first division) will get a second look into. A typical striker in the mold of Gyan - tall, strong, great finisher, pretty good with his feet.

Scored 23 goals lasts season, was never given a chance in France. He's pretty much Broos best bet at an up-and-coming striker.

[/video]

Other options I see are Nicholas Ngamaleu (23 yo, Rhein in the Austrian Bundesliga).

As for naturalisation I think the best bet would be:
Jean-Christophe Bahebeck, currently in Serie A with Pescara. PArt of the 2013 U20 World Cup winning side. His career trajectory does not suggest he'll ever make the French national side. He has been in discussion with Cameroonian FA in the past, but the rumours of him joining Cameroon have gone silent. At 24 I think he knows its Cameroon or no one.

Dimitri Oberlin, who is Cameroon-born, but has been playing for the Swiss youth teams. He's one of Switzerland's top talents though and I don't know if he would be interested. Was adopted by Swiss parents.

EDIT:
Other options:
Jean Marie Dongou - his career hasn't exactly evolved as per Barcelona expectations, but he was a very good finisher at one time.

Eric Ayuk - young, but pretty small striker, liked how he looked for Cameroon at the U20 African Championship.
Last edited by marutimon on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

On a side note:
Cameroon need some creativity in midfield. I think Wilfried Kaptoum of Barcelona B could give them that.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

camex wrote:
olu wrote:Are there any French born Camerounians doing well in Europe that are interested in playing for the lions? Hope he doesn't find his striker till after the world cup qualifiers
Good for Nigeria that
Kilian Mbappe has declined playing for the lions.
The best non-capped forward of Cameroonian-heritage out there is Oberlin. Still only 19. But I expect him to be capped by the end of the year and I doubt Cameroon could get the switch papers ready in time even if he wanted to.