Germany 3 - 1 Cameroun (FT) Confed Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Germany 3 - 1 Cameroun (FT) Confed Cup

Post by bamenda boy »

bret- hart wrote:
akamoke wrote:Fellows, its time we are honest..we have skills just like everyone else but to win a world cup or confed cup as starters, we need to rid ourselves of everything that is hurting discipline in our societies...our football is a microcosm of everything in our societies

I hoped for the best with Cameroon but it wasnt meant to be, and before we beat chests...this is the African champion and therefore they are the best we presented and no other team would have done better

I disagree. Senegal, Bfaso, Ghana and even Egypt would have done much better than these clowns. Hopefully we put them out of their misery in August/September. I am sick of seeing that useless country disgrace Africa at the global level.
Interesting thing is that Cameroon faced all those mentioned teams on their way to the cc and you know what the results were. I am sure you know the result of the Chile vs Burkina game.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

bamenda boy wrote:Interesting thing is that Cameroon faced all those mentioned teams on their way to the cc and you know what the results were. I am sure you know the result of the Chile vs Burkina game.
Stop repeating nonsense. The Burkina Faso match you mentioned was against local based Burkunabe's. It was Burkina Faso D or E squad. Not a single player that played vs Chile was at the African Cup of Nations.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Didn't waste my time watching the game just came to read the comments and laugh :rotf:
When will you people accept to yourselves African s just aren't good at football and African teams suck. Winning the world cup is a pipe dream. Just forget it completely. America, Korea, Japan and China have a higher chance of winning the world cup before an African country. Fact
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

zee wrote:
truetalk wrote:
txj wrote:
Rogermilla wrote:
txj wrote:And these gentlemen are your African champions, The Indomitable Lions of Cameroon!!!
So can you also tell us how the African champs did at the last Confederations Cup? Not making any excuses for this pathetic Cameroonian performance, but you guys sit here and say African champs this and that, meanwhile the same African champs too were three and out at the last Confederations cup.

Merely proves my real point that African teams are below European third tier...
Self hate is a disease.

Ghana was a Jordan Ayew brain fart away from going up on the World Champions, who also needed an extra time goal to get past Algeria.

For all our trouble going into that match, France needed one of the worst refereeing performances I have ever seen to get past us in Brasilia.

Disjointed Nigerian teams have almost completed a conquest of the British Isles over the last decade & a half.

Below the European 3rd tier indeed!
WORD bro :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

bret- hart wrote:
akamoke wrote:Fellows, its time we are honest..we have skills just like everyone else but to win a world cup or confed cup as starters, we need to rid ourselves of everything that is hurting discipline in our societies...our football is a microcosm of everything in our societies

I hoped for the best with Cameroon but it wasnt meant to be, and before we beat chests...this is the African champion and therefore they are the best we presented and no other team would have done better

I disagree. Senegal, Bfaso, Ghana and even Egypt would have done much better than these clowns. Hopefully we put them out of their misery in August/September. I am sick of seeing that useless country disgrace Africa at the global level.
Senegal - maybe

Faso - NO

Ghana - pass pass pass and play nice nice, while Germany do the scoring

Egypt - they will freeze outside Africa

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Germany 2 - 1 Cameroun (2nd Half) Confed Cup

Post by metalalloy »

txj wrote:
Rogermilla wrote:
gochino wrote:
anointed wrote:Cameroun just so heavy, immobile and statuesque like camels in defence...maybe the name Camelruin is apt afterall
Especially that guy that dyed his hair blond. He is just too immobile for a defender. Caught ball watching several times,even in the first and third goal.
When you have a natural right back in Fai playing left back and a donkey in Mabouka playing right back, it messed up the defensive chemistry that Teikeu and Ngadeu built.
Its not the personnel or their starting positions. Its a total lack of defensive integrity in the shape. Their were gaps all over the defensive block, and they were being moved around like pinballs...

Look at Teikeu unable to read movements, being nutmegged in the six yard box, unaware of blind side runs....

These guys lack even the basics...what a pathetic bunch!

They won the AFC, thanks in large part to African refs letting them kick, esp Senegal, off the park!
Fashi watching that German team play defense is a thing of beauty. They no dey stress, you simply see two rows of 4 just shifting in unison. Kai! no one person harrases you, but pass ball make we see! And then with transition, nothing special, you could see it all day, they simply progress in the middle, shift the ball to the wings and play that dangerous ground ball across the face of the goal. SO hard to defend even though you know its coming!

The day we an learn to attack and more importantly defend as a unit, we will be unstoppable.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
joplass
Egg
Egg
Re: Germany 3 - 1 Cameroun (2nd Half) Confed Cup

Post by joplass »

marutimon wrote:
Rogermilla wrote:Whenever people say this or that Cameroonian team is the most talented over the 1990 team, I laugh, cause in my humble opinion, no team is as resilient as that 1990 team. Heck they could lose up to four players in the game ans still end up winning. Yes they might foul all the time, but that was one talented team and I so wish for the days I will watch a Cameroonian team that was as tough and talented as the 1990 team
I think the team of 1982 was even better. They had some bad calls against them which prevented them from winning the group and ultimately went out on goals scored with the team that won the tournament and the team that finished third. Roger Milla was in his prime, as was Theophile Abega, Gregoire M'bida (two of the best midfielders in African history). Plus they had the best GK in African history N'kono (with Joseph Antoine Bell as the backup goalie!). I rewatched the 1982 games and they were better than Poland and arguably more deserving of progression than Italy.

Both 1982 and 1990 Cameroon had the squads to win the tournament like no other team in African history. The 1982 team couldn't prove it on a technicality.
Team of '82, the best team out of Africa ever.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Confed games are glorified friendlies. .. in 2009 the US made it all the way to the final..we know how Gyan ended them in 2010
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

In my own opinion, it appears that people in CE think that this Cameroon team is so poor and that we would walk all over them. That is a wrong conclusion, to be sure.

While I liked Oyongo, he would not have made much difference on this team. He was my favorite Cameroonian defender at the AFCON but in one-and-one situations. Cameroon is good and they will prove it against Nigeria in August/September. While I believe that SE will win, it will not be easy. Take that to the bank.

This German team is stronger than many of Europe's best. I wonder whether the narrative will change for most of you when this German team meets and beats European champion -- Portugal -- in the final? Already, they showed what they could do with the game v Chile. The German team is not made of amateurs, you should note. This is a very good team devoid of some of their regular stars but certainly nothing to sniff at. It is not a C team by any stretch of imagination.

Back to Cameroon, Cameroon has an attack that let it down in this game. Aboubakar is really not much to write about. First, even when there were open shots created by shifting the ball outside the box, the shots were not taken or attempted very late. At the other end, the Germans were willing to attempt shots from outside the box at the slightest daylight. Though Bassagog created problems for the German defense with his pace and tricky moves, he was like Moses Simon as in poor end product. Defensively, Tekieu lost his man a few times but it was also because Ngadeu and Mabouka did not manage the offside trap well allowing men behind the defense in safe spots. In fact, I felt defensively that the team did better than they did against Chile who repeatedly came through those lines particularly in the opening half of that earlier game. The reality is that the SE will not be able to get behind that defense as often because our strikers rarely exploit space behind the defense in the way the Germans or Chileans did. That should be noted. Thus, the fact that the Cameroonian defense played compact will prove to be huge challenge for the SE limiting the SE to wingers crossing the ball and not to passes behind the defense as the Chileans or Germans did.

IMHO, I take two major things from watching the Cameroonians at this Confed Cup: (1) They will be very tough competition for Nigeria, and (2) The German team is strong. Ignore the names and focus on how they play.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Enugu II wrote:In my own opinion, it appears that people in CE think that this Cameroon team is so poor and that we would walk all over them. That is a wrong conclusion, to be sure.

While I liked Oyongo, he would not have made much difference on this team. He was my favorite Cameroonian defender at the AFCON but in one-and-one situations. Cameroon is good and they will prove it against Nigeria in August/September. While I believe that SE will win, it will not be easy. Take that to the bank.

This German team is stronger than many of Europe's best. I wonder whether the narrative will change for most of you when this German team meets and beats European champion -- Portugal -- in the final? Already, they showed what they could do with the game v Chile. The German team is not made of amateurs, you should note. This is a very good team devoid of some of their regular stars but certainly nothing to sniff at. It is not a C team by any stretch of imagination.

Back to Cameroon, Cameroon has an attack that let it down in this game. Aboubakar is really not much to write about. First, even when there were open shots created by shifting the ball outside the box, the shots were not taken or attempted very late. At the other end, the Germans were willing to attempt shots from outside the box at the slightest daylight. Though Bassagog created problems for the German defense with his pace and tricky moves, he was like Moses Simon as in poor end product. Defensively, Tekieu lost his man a few times but it was also because Ngadeu and Mabouka did not manage the offside trap well allowing men behind the defense in safe spots. In fact, I felt defensively that the team did better than they did against Chile who repeatedly came through those lines particularly in the opening half of that earlier game. The reality is that the SE will not be able to get behind that defense as often because our strikers rarely exploit space behind the defense in the way the Germans or Chileans did. That should be noted. Thus, the fact that the Cameroonian defense played compact will prove to be huge challenge for the SE limiting the SE to wingers crossing the ball and not to passes behind the defense as the Chileans or Germans did.

IMHO, I take two major things from watching the Cameroonians at this Confed Cup: (1) They will be very tough competition for Nigeria, and (2) The German team is strong. Ignore the names and focus on how they play.
It will be tough for Nigeria to play this Cameroon side for sure, but that is more because of our own deficiencies than them. I think we have the tools to beat them but in the grand scale, this Cameroon side is terrible.

They finished at the bottom of their group due to poor decision making, lack of quality with the ball at their feet, inability to track players in the box, selfishness, poor decision making and focusing on physicality rather than technical team play. Also if you look at their first two games in World Cup Qualifying, these problems showed up. We play deep and don't give them space in behind like we did against South Africa, that would solve a lot of deficiencies that we had. Them playing at the Confed Cup exposed those weaknesses a lot better than the AFCON. Also it exposed the weaknesses of Aboubakar. He needs a LOT of space to play his natural game, the game against Australia showed this as he did have a little bit of space and time to operate, but due to him not having the space or time he has in the Turkish League or against lower African opposition, he kept missing sitters. Playing compact defense on him would definitely magnify this as it did when he played Germany. Also he really only got his goal in that game because of a Defensive error by Suele.

As far a Germany I agree with a few things you say, but I am not 100% sold on them winning the Confed cup or even the World Cup for that matter. They may but, I see many issues with them defensively. In this competition, the Germans have leaked a goal in every game they played. The Portuguese only conceded against Mexico. Granted the competition was slightly tougher for the Germans, they have plenty of holes that can be exploited. Also historically and currently, they still have issues with teams that play a pragmatic style of play like Italy (which is why they have a bad track record against them) and Current Portugal. Also their lack of experience might show against a settled Mexico side. Don't ever write off the Mexicans.
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Also one other thing, F*ck Europe. They have enough titles.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

From a Nigerian standpoint, it doesn't even have to be TRUE that we can walk over Cameroon.

Football or life in general isn't just about what IS, but is largely built on perceptions! Cameroon's exploits in the Confed Cup can be seen as a positive (i.e. good run of experience and games), which may be used for retooling, or it can be seen as a negative (a damning revelation of structural inadequacies), meaning that there may be implications for team morale, and it might even lead to uncertainty.

Even if they are better (which I am not saying they are), it cannot hurt for them to doubt themselves.

In terms of Africa going forward, I think some good points have already been raised (so I will not add any view on that).
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Enugu II wrote:In my own opinion, it appears that people in CE think that this Cameroon team is so poor and that we would walk all over them. That is a wrong conclusion, to be sure.
For one thing I'm pretty sure Broos will try to respond to the deficiencies. He knows he needs a clinical striker, but will he find one for the Nigeria games? Hopefully not. He knows he messed up with no replacement for Oyongo, so even if Oyongo is not back, its certain the will be a different LB or maybe a different RB (Fai stays at LB).
Agreed on the second part. But I think Oyongo would have radically changed Cameroon defensively. Mabouka was terrible, absolutely atrocious. Don't know how he lasted four games. Why did Broos even take the backup leftback from the Angolan league, if he's not good enough to be played. Broos seems to have the same affliction that Keshi had. Taking players with him that were simply not good enough.
I would argue that:
a) Bassogog seems to have become more of a headless chicken in China. He didn't overdribble as much at the AFCON.
b) Moses Simon despite everything has more end product. Nonetheless he should be.
c) Broos rightly benched Aboubakar at the AFCON. Unfortunately second judged himself after the wondergoal he scored in the final, which probably skewed his perception. Broos made a huge mistake by persisting with Aboubakar (or Moukandjo who has been anonymous).
d) Mikel being back means we will exploit space behind the defense much more often than without him. He does change our passing game significantly.
e) Germany didn't really get behind the Cameroonian defence until Mabouka got red carded. They played the offside trap well and Germany only had one chance in the first half. The first German goal was just a great goal. Most defences would have conceeded that one. After the red card Cameroon just disentegrated defensively.
Last edited by marutimon on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

I don't think so. Cameroun are everything they are and are not without Nigeria having to beat them or lose to them.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

TheHitman47 wrote:Also it exposed the weaknesses of Aboubakar. He needs a LOT of space to play his natural game, the game against Australia showed this as he did have a little bit of space and time to operate, but due to him not having the space or time he has in the Turkish League or against lower African opposition, he kept missing sitters. Playing compact defense on him would definitely magnify this as it did when he played Germany. Also he really only got his goal in that game because of a Defensive error by Suele.
Almost all goals come from a defensive error of some sort. Say what you will about Aboubakar but he knows how to get into scoring positions, be it compact defences or not. He did so with ease in France and in Portugal. So its not just in Turkey or in Africa. The problem is he's always been wasteful. Thats why he left Porto. It not like he failed to score a lot of goals for them - he scored 27 goals in 1,5 season for Porto. He was moved on, because of exactly what we saw at this tournament: he wastes too many sitters, but scores the occasional stormer of a goal, like vs Egypt. Not dependable enough. He could have a series of games like he did vs Australia, then have a few great games.

But thats essentially why Aboubakar is not a striker for international tournaments. At club level you can be good in spurts, at international level there has to be a certainty you will perform, much like Ghana has with Gyan.

I would also say that Cameroon may have won the AFCON much like Zambia did. The right mix at the right time, but something that won't be replicated in future form.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

KPOM, this German team is made up of regular players from Europe's top sides like Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, Ajax, PSG, Schalke, Liverpool, Arsenal, Roma etc and they are no B or C team.
Last edited by Dammy on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am happy
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Even the Germans agree the red card was a bad call:
"I spoke to Emre Can who was involved and he was touched, definitely, but he didn't think it was a foul," Low said at his post-match media conference.

"I didn't see it on the video screens, I saw the referee showed the red card and returned to the bench for another look and then he awarded the red card [to Mabouka]. I saw he touched him but it wasn't a mean foul with intent to hurt the opponent, it was an unhappy coincidence and not intentional."
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

marutimon wrote:
For one thing I'm pretty sure Broos will try to respond to the deficiencies. He knows he needs a clinical striker, but will he find one for the Nigeria games? Hopefully not. He knows he messed up with no replacement for Oyongo, so even if Oyongo is not back, its certain the will be a different LB or maybe a different RB (Fai stays at LB).
Agreed on the second part. But I think Oyongo would have radically changed Cameroon defensively. Mabouka was terrible, absolutely atrocious. Don't know how he lasted four games. Why did Broos even take the backup leftback from the Angolan league, if he's not good enough to be played. Broos seems to have the same affliction that Keshi had. Taking players with him that were simply not good enough.
I would argue that:
a) Bassogog seems to have become more of a headless chicken in China. He didn't overdribble as much at the AFCON.
b) Moses Simon despite everything has more end product. Nonetheless he should be.
c) Broos rightly benched Aboubakar at the AFCON. Unfortunately second judged himself after the wondergoal he scored in the final, which probably skewed his perception. Broos made a huge mistake by persisting with Aboubakar (or Moukandjo who has been anonymous).
d) Mikel being back means we will exploit space behind the defense much more often than without him. He does change our passing game significantly.
e) Germany didn't really get behind the Cameroonian defence until Mabouka got red carded. They played the offside trap well and Germany only had one chance in the first half. The first German goal was just a great goal. Most defences would have conceeded that one. After the red card Cameroon just disentegrated defensively.
I disagree that first goal could have been avoided,watch how the defenders (especially the guy with the dyed hair) allow the german attacker so much space and time on the ball although they were within reach of the ball.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

If anything the midfield missed the run of Demirbay. The defenders had no say and the other German player was not in a threatening position, but still two midfielders jumped to him leaving Demirbay wide open for the run.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Germany 2 - 1 Cameroun (2nd Half) Confed Cup

Post by platinum »

metalalloy wrote:
txj wrote:
Rogermilla wrote:
gochino wrote:
anointed wrote:Cameroun just so heavy, immobile and statuesque like camels in defence...maybe the name Camelruin is apt afterall
Especially that guy that dyed his hair blond. He is just too immobile for a defender. Caught ball watching several times,even in the first and third goal.
When you have a natural right back in Fai playing left back and a donkey in Mabouka playing right back, it messed up the defensive chemistry that Teikeu and Ngadeu built.
Its not the personnel or their starting positions. Its a total lack of defensive integrity in the shape. Their were gaps all over the defensive block, and they were being moved around like pinballs...

Look at Teikeu unable to read movements, being nutmegged in the six yard box, unaware of blind side runs....

These guys lack even the basics...what a pathetic bunch!

They won the AFC, thanks in large part to African refs letting them kick, esp Senegal, off the park!
Fashi watching that German team play defense is a thing of beauty. They no dey stress, you simply see two rows of 4 just shifting in unison. Kai! no one person harrases you, but pass ball make we see! And then with transition, nothing special, you could see it all day, they simply progress in the middle, shift the ball to the wings and play that dangerous ground ball across the face of the goal. SO hard to defend even though you know its coming!

The day we an learn to attack and more importantly defend as a unit, we will be unstoppable.
If you were ever fortunate enough to watch a military parade at Dodan Barracks, you would have seen a group of men in lockstep, moving as one, showing discipline for hours. That's exactly what we need with the Eagles. Maybe we should find a brigade commandant somewhere, old school drill sergeant who cares nothing about money and that type of stuff. :rotf: :rotf:

My biggest fear for Cameroon going up against Germany was exactly that. The Germans play with a precision in defense and attack that is built to destroy and make a mockery of teams who think doing that wrk is a joke...teams who think national pride, muscle and talent is enough. (*see Brazil in 2014). This is a German team who've been together for a couple weeks doing all this damage to the world's finest teams (*not just Cameroon...they made Chile look toothless in t 2nd half of their game). We need to have a clear idea of who we want to be, then work on it time and time and time again until it's second nature. The consistency is never there with the Eagles because we just don't know who we are so we can't play as a unit when we don't know that. Somedays, if we're feeling it, we are unstoppable. Other days? South Africa (*who know what they are and who they are) will come into our homeground and go all Finidi on us, marking territory left and right with no fear of repercussions.

You only become a unit when you know who you are. Who can fill the roles in that unit. Who will sacrifice and give up pride for the unit. It's frustrating. We can do it but we just seem to want to throw out any ol' XI and put minimal work into the team and hope/pray for the best. Mind you, it's tough to be a unit when the coach has to worry about rubbish like the condition of the turf, whether we have match balls, whether food is there, whether hotel bills are paid, all this while he has not been paid for months.

So the question becomes, how to we thrive in chaos. Honestly, maybe the idea that we need a military commandant in the Eagles isn't that crazy. :rotf: :rotf:
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Germany 3 - 1 Cameroun (2nd Half) Confed Cup

Post by platinum »

joplass wrote:
marutimon wrote:
Rogermilla wrote:Whenever people say this or that Cameroonian team is the most talented over the 1990 team, I laugh, cause in my humble opinion, no team is as resilient as that 1990 team. Heck they could lose up to four players in the game ans still end up winning. Yes they might foul all the time, but that was one talented team and I so wish for the days I will watch a Cameroonian team that was as tough and talented as the 1990 team
I think the team of 1982 was even better. They had some bad calls against them which prevented them from winning the group and ultimately went out on goals scored with the team that won the tournament and the team that finished third. Roger Milla was in his prime, as was Theophile Abega, Gregoire M'bida (two of the best midfielders in African history). Plus they had the best GK in African history N'kono (with Joseph Antoine Bell as the backup goalie!). I rewatched the 1982 games and they were better than Poland and arguably more deserving of progression than Italy.

Both 1982 and 1990 Cameroon had the squads to win the tournament like no other team in African history. The 1982 team couldn't prove it on a technicality.
Team of '82, the best team out of Africa ever.

I don't know about 'BEST' but I think that team deserves so much more respect than they get.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Sorry, there was nothing compact about that defense. When Germany revved the engines in the second half, they lit Cameroon to shreds with consummate ease. And they really didn't do anything special, they focused more on forward play instead of the counter game, moved the ball faster, sent runners off the ball, exploited all the spaces behind Cameroon's defense. Of course you're right when you say Germany are special but the fact is they didn't do anything many decent teams cannot do. The big problem here is I've not seen the Eagles do any of these basics in recent games so it';s not exactly something to feel confident about.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

TheHitman47 wrote:

It will be tough for Nigeria to play this Cameroon side for sure, but that is more because of our own deficiencies than them. I think we have the tools to beat them but in the grand scale, this Cameroon side is terrible.

They finished at the bottom of their group due to poor decision making, lack of quality with the ball at their feet, inability to track players in the box, selfishness, poor decision making and focusing on physicality rather than technical team play. Also if you look at their first two games in World Cup Qualifying, these problems showed up. We play deep and don't give them space in behind like we did against South Africa, that would solve a lot of deficiencies that we had. Them playing at the Confed Cup exposed those weaknesses a lot better than the AFCON. Also it exposed the weaknesses of Aboubakar. He needs a LOT of space to play his natural game, the game against Australia showed this as he did have a little bit of space and time to operate, but due to him not having the space or time he has in the Turkish League or against lower African opposition, he kept missing sitters. Playing compact defense on him would definitely magnify this as it did when he played Germany. Also he really only got his goal in that game because of a Defensive error by Suele.

As far a Germany I agree with a few things you say, but I am not 100% sold on them winning the Confed cup or even the World Cup for that matter. They may but, I see many issues with them defensively. In this competition, the Germans have leaked a goal in every game they played. The Portuguese only conceded against Mexico. Granted the competition was slightly tougher for the Germans, they have plenty of holes that can be exploited. Also historically and currently, they still have issues with teams that play a pragmatic style of play like Italy (which is why they have a bad track record against them) and Current Portugal. Also their lack of experience might show against a settled Mexico side. Don't ever write off the Mexicans.

Germany are playing a unit that has been together for how many weeks? Focus on that. Focus on what they did in the second half to Chile. Focus on the fact that only five or six of this current squad will make the WC. Focus on the fact that this formation is not necessarily a base formation for them. I wouldn't worry about Germany, they'll be just fine. The thing I've seen them do better than any other team in the world (*including France, Belgium, Brazil, Argentina, etc) is have a CLEAR idea of what they want to accomplish AND playing as a unit. At the Euros, only the lack of a killer #9 stopped them from walking that cup with ease...their display there was more cohesive and better than any other team...certainly played more as a unit than the teams who made the final.