Why are the SE players so small nowadays?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why are the SE players so small nowadays?

Post by Comrade Machel »

folem wrote:Image
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The guy holding the flag wearing green trousers. What was his title/job in the team
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Edu
Egg
Egg

Post by Edu »

Samora Machel wrote:
The guy holding the flag wearing green trousers. What was his title/job in the team

Those fans at the top of the picture. What the heck are they sitting on?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Let me digress:

1980 AFCON WINNERS!!!
Standing (L-R): Ogedegbe, Chukwu, Owolabi, Adokiye, Okpala, Orlando, Odiye, Isima, Adiele.
Squatting (L-R): Bamidele, Atuegbu, Muda, Onyedika, Okala, Kadiri, Odegbami.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

^^^^^
That 'Kadiri' looks like Henry Nwosu somehow.....
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote:
Let me digress:

1980 AFCON WINNERS!!!
Standing (L-R): Ogedegbe, Chukwu, Owolabi, Adokiye, Okpala, Orlando, Odiye, Isima, Adiele.
Isima - 1.60m
Atuegbu -1.65m
Nwosu - 1.65m (not in pic)
Owolabi - 1.70m
Adiele - 1.74m
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

folem wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Let me digress:

1980 AFCON WINNERS!!!
Isima - 1.60m
Atuegbu -1.65m
Owolabi - 1.70m
Adiele - 1.74m
Oga folem, you dey measure height...me I dey measure the chests, thighs & calves(yam)... :ohmy:

Chei, see Adiele & Atuegbu without shin-pads...Chukwu no dey wear shin-pads too...
Check out the rolled-down socks...
Iron-men...

What these guys lacked in height, they more than made up in girth...they looked far stronger physically...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
folem wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Let me digress:

1980 AFCON WINNERS!!!
Isima - 1.60m
Atuegbu -1.65m
Owolabi - 1.70m
Adiele - 1.74m
Oga folem, you dey measure height...me I dey measure the chests, thighs & calves(yam)... :ohmy:

Chei, see Adiele & Atuegbu without shin-pads...Chukwu no dey wear shin-pads too...
Iron-men...

What these guys lacked in height, they more than made up in girth...they looked far stronger physically...
Tiko Baba, kindly share the chest, thighs & calves measurement for comparison. Don't go there there ooh cos I no want trouble ooo. :mrgreen:
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

folem wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
folem wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Let me digress:

1980 AFCON WINNERS!!!
Isima - 1.60m
Atuegbu -1.65m
Owolabi - 1.70m
Adiele - 1.74m

Iron-men...

Tiko Baba, kindly share the chest, thighs & calves measurement for comparison. Don't go there there ooh cos I no want trouble ooo. :mrgreen:
You no dey see the difference..? You wan compare aje-butter Troost-Ekong calves with the 'definition-muscles' on Adiele's yams?
Ok, make I ask you: if you're given a choice to engage in a physical duel between Troost-Ekong & Adiele, who you go choose? :tic: :tic: :tic:

Tekole Rantie for bounce off Adiele's chest like a rag-doll... :mrgreen:

The only recent aje-butter player who'd have matched the physical strength of AFCON 1980 players is Danny Shittu...

I once stood in the stands at old Owerri Stadium (the stands were so close to the playing pitch a fan could literally reach out and touch the players) during a Green Eagles friendly against Spartans of Owerri (currently Heartland):

Ugo Harris (Spartans) was tormenting Isima on the flanks...Then Ugo nut-megged Isima, but Isima body-checked him. Ugo flew 10 yards as if he'd been tossed by an explosion.
From the stands, we heard Isima yell at the sprawling & yelping Ugo: "Wetin? Where you dey go?! Na your goal-post be that?!"
It was not the comedy that struck most of us in the stands; it was the sheer upper-body strength of Isima who was not even in the physique-league of the Chukwu's and Bamidele's...

Mind you, Ugo Harris was no slouch...

Those guys were strong, bro...
- Bill Shankly
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Last edited by folem on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Oga folem, forget matter; these guys no fit intimidate me, nah...
I fit chance any of them...Mikel even looks big amongst them...

The last set of SEagles that looked anything near physically intimidating was the 2010 set (key word near) with guys like Taye Taiwo, Shittu, Aiyegbeni, etc

The most physically intimidating was the 1994 set; that set cemented the legend of Nigeria as a physical side with oak-trees like Yekini, Keshi, Okafor, Eguavoen, Keshi, Nwanu, Okechukwu, etc

How those perennial bullies from Cameroun avoided that 1994 set is mystifying till this day... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
- Bill Shankly
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

FATHER TIKO wrote:

The last set of SEagles that looked anything near physically intimidating was the 2010 set (key word near) with guys like Taye Taiwo, Shittu, Aiyegbeni, etc

The most physically intimidating was the 1994 set; that set cemented the legend of Nigeria as a physical side with oak-trees like Yekini, Keshi, Okafor, Eguavoen, Keshi, Nwanu, Okechukwu, etc

How those perennial bullies from Cameroun avoided that 1994 set is mystifying till this day... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No be becos u r older, stronger & wiser? Isima fit bully Emenike like e bin do that Spartans boi? :D

Nigeria played Cameroon @ CAN 1992 with majority of the squad.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Ok--o!! You dey use photos were captured with different camera focal lengths...
Make I try your trick, nah:

You'd better not run into these guys at a dark alley... :sneaky: :sneaky:
- Bill Shankly
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

folem wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:

No be becos u r older, stronger & wiser? Isima fit bully Emenike like e bin do that Spartans boi? :D

Nigeria played Cameroon @ CAN 1992 with majority of the squad.
Eheh!! Emenike...Now, you're talking...Emenike try small... How many in the current squad near Emenike strength..?
Nigeria v Cameroun 1992: you remember wetin happen? Who come bully who?
- Bill Shankly
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Cellular wrote:
omey2k4 wrote:Nigeria vs Cameroon in 2000 was small guys vs all giants and we still showed them. in 94 our team were physically intimidating ,outside of looking big and string they played like big and strong men. At the end og the day it doesnt make any sense if we have nig guys that are slow.
Omey2k17,

Long time.

Hope you are well?

Best wishes as always.
I dey oooh,i had to retire when Vancity Eagle became voice of reasoning on this message board..kai.. :bump: I just dey my broda..
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

FATHER TIKO wrote:

Ok--o!! You dey use photos were captured with different camera focal lengths...
Make I try your trick, nah:

You'd better not run into these guys at a dark alley... :sneaky: :sneaky:
U mean sai fear fit catch Amuneke, Iroha, Ikpeba, Okocha if dem run into u 4 dark alley? :taunt:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Samora Machel wrote:
...he is equivalent to today supporters club members that beat drums and blow horns throughout during a match.
Being close to the Green Eagles in those days have it's privileges :biggrin:
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Samora Machel wrote:
Chief Samora Machel: Of all other things, the man (Flag carrier) is all you saw? Common, leave him alone. In all seriousness, I believe he is a member of the team, else he won't be allowed on the pitch.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Odas wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
Chief Samora Machel: Of all other things, the man (Flag carrier) is all you saw? Common, leave him alone. In all seriousness, I believe he is a member of the team, else he won't be allowed on the pitch.
...a member of the team as in a player? No, not, he is a supporter, a cheer leader.
Samora probably saw it because it doesn't happen at today's matches anymore.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

omey2k4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
omey2k4 wrote:Nigeria vs Cameroon in 2000 was small guys vs all giants and we still showed them. in 94 our team were physically intimidating ,outside of looking big and string they played like big and strong men. At the end og the day it doesnt make any sense if we have nig guys that are slow.
Omey2k17,

Long time.

Hope you are well?

Best wishes as always.
I dey oooh,i had to retire when Vancity Eagle became voice of reasoning on this message board..kai.. :bump: I just dey my broda..
Omey2k4: Chei, na you be dat? I was wondering what happened to you also. Wow, so you left because Vancity Eagle (VE) was getting on your nerves or what do you mean?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

mcal wrote:
Odas wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
...a member of the team as in a player? No, not, he is a supporter, a cheer leader.
Samora probably saw it because it doesn't happen at today's matches anymore.
I see, ok!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

FATHER TIKO wrote:

Also mystifying is how Ghana avoided them as well.
I am happy
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Dammy wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:

Ghana beat Nigeria @ CAN 1992 with majority of the squad.

Ghana was held to 0-0 draw by Nigeria @ home in Lagos shortly before the start of CAN 1994.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

folem wrote:
Dammy wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:

Ghana beat Nigeria @ CAN 1992 with majority of the squad.

Ghana was held to 0-0 draw by Nigeria @ home in Lagos shortly before the start of CAN 1994.
But the squad wasn't 'settled' pre-AFCON94...
The tale was told that everything came together just before the AFCON QF game against Zaire...
Virtually everyone connected to the squad has at various times revealed that 'something' clicked in the squad just before kick-off against Zaire...

All the months at Pappendal inexplicably just began manifesting...

Would have wished Ghana & Cameroun were in the cross-hairs in the 4yr-period between the Zaire QF game and WCup 1998...
- Bill Shankly