Do Euro and South American teams...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

marutimon
Egg
Egg
Re: Do Euro and South American teams...

Post by marutimon »

TheHitman47 wrote:Other than being Physical and trying to take on players 1v1 what is the identity of most African national teams. I don't really see it, and some of the "identities" that I see don't work at the international level.
That's not the identity of all the African teams. North Africa aside (who obviously don't play like that) I think Ghana really needs to be a blueprint for most African teams. They looked at their players, their strengths and weaknesses, now all the teams in Ghana have the same basic recipe for success. Even next generation players seem to be groomed to fit the blueprint.

They have there own style of play which is focused on one touch football, quick interchange of play, high pressing, positional fliexibility plus great organisational discipline. They really have their own separate distinct style. They don't really have a lot of great defenders, but world teams struggle to break them down, while they are really threatening on the counter or even in positional play. With small changes they've been playing the same brand of football (with minor changes) for at least 10+ years and they've achieved more than when they had world greats like Abedi Pele. For all intent and purpose in a world without crap rules they would have been a semifinalist at the 2010 World Cup.

There are a few players that try to dribble from time to time (the Ayew's for one thing), but they do it occasionally not incessantly and for the most part dribble to get past one-two players, not the entire defence.

Even Nigeria - apart from Musa and to an extent Simon you don't really have dribblers in our team. All other players at best dribble to get past one-two players. I would however argue that unlike Ghana, the Super Eagles lack a distinguishable playing style. But don't tell me Nigeria was playing gra gra football at the 2014 World Cup or lately under Rohr.

If you look at South Africa though I woudl argue there recent successes have a lot to do with Baxter trying to root out incessant dribbling and dropping players that overdo it in that area. If anything it seems like Baxter is really trying to replicate how Ghana play.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

You guys are hard on Africa teams sha,England with one of the best facilities in the world.How is their national team fair with the rest?
Football every team has a time to shine.Chile was just not good and won their first major trophy 2 years ago in their history.
Africa countries should stop to hire this white people as coach who no nothing about Africa football.The Cameroon coach left out better players with experience that would have done better may be?.Did not Cameroon at 2003 produced one of the best performance in confederation cup,lost the final to France because of the passing away of their player with Henry offside goal?

SE in 94 was one of the best team in USA,poor officiating and poor coaching by the Dutchman was reason Nigeria did not go far and possible win it.
What of Cameroon in 1990?During this period where was Spain?After a new generation Spain took over the world from 2008 with one of the best football I have seen.
Why is country like USA not lighting up the world with all the facilities?Every team has their time to shine.
Look at Holland doing gra gra but when last the won anything major?I know if that was an African team we will not hear word.Did not France miss 2 world cup and after they host then they some how with their golden generation win the world cup in 98?Franc e could not even make 1990 world cup or USA 94 with their good player knock out at home by Bulgaria when a draw is all they need.
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

txj wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Have better football IQ than African teams? this might come off as demeaning but damn!I could make a power point presentation on this nagging issue... Look at the 2014 world cup, an arguably more talented and athletic Ghanaian team had all the tools to beat Germany, but fell short of a draw...and the Germans didn't even try too hard! this has always been the pattern for top African teams from past world cups when faced with European and South American countries...we can blame poor tactics, poor coaching/football fundamnentals, lack of discipline etc for decades to come but let's at some point accept that those European and South American teams arr a notch above us in football IQ...today confirmed it, even a second string German team made Cameroon look like thrash...sorry but no African team will smell a world cup semi final, only the Nigerian team of '94, Senegal team of 2002, and Ghanaian team of 2010 had all the toold, if only they had half the collective IQ's of their European counterparts.

Individually, no. I would actually argue that African players are ahead wrt individual technique...

Where we are lacking is in the organizational aspect of the team game and finding the right balance between spontaneity and structured methodology...
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

it was sad to see a Cameroon player after a good team move decide to do all on his own when there is just a team mate next to him who is even well positioned. That kept on happening and you could see the same player getting frustrated but when the next pass comes he will repeat the same mistake.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

some of you people are funny..The money pumped into European and South American football are 100 times x 1000 more than AFrican teams. Until the private sectors take huge interest the gap will only increase.... many of you blame the players ( for any African to move to any major European club, is a massive boost) Instead of sitting here and making limited thinking guesses, go and figure out how to fill up stadiums, etc ..get the private sector to pump money into football . People never chop back home and una expect the likes of Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, CIV , Egypt etc to win the worldcup :lol: :lol: :lol:

on another topic, that mukanjo is a disgrace and should never wear the jersey for les lions again
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

marutimon wrote:
Rawlings wrote:Oga you buttressed my point
What's the "pigmentation" of 90% of the south Africa RUGBY team?
Whats the pigmentation of 80% of the French national team?
Or of 50% of the All Blacks Rugby team?
Stop it.
French National Team: Born and bred in France and so them get Oyibo characteristics
..besides they are the exception not the norm (Germany, Italy, Spain...)

All Blacks Rugby team: Born and bred in New Zealand, so....
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Rawlings wrote:
marutimon wrote:
Stop it.
French National Team: Born and bred in France and so them get Oyibo characteristics

Springboks Rugby team: Born and bred in SA, so Bafana becomes a super team?
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

folem wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
marutimon wrote:
Stop it.

Springboks Rugby team: Born and bred in SA, so Bafana becomes a super team?
Springboks Rugby team is about 90% oyibo

why don't u support your arguments with a 100% African team from Africa. There are over 50 such teams
If we don't identify and accept our issues, we will never solve them
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]

i guess games like these do not matter eh? what a very daft thread
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Bigpokey24 wrote:[/video]

i guess games like these do not matter eh? what a very daft thread
:???: They matter, but that's the exception not the rule
Our brains have been wired to celebrate 1/4 finals
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Robotnik wrote:I was the goal keeper for a weekend select team made up of mostly NIgerians. It was when we played and lost to in Indian select team that I knew African footballers in most cases do not have high footballing IQ. We came fully equipped with our kits and a large number of us were 6 feet and over. The other team did not come prepared, no jerseys or shin guards. We were made to agree not be rough with them throughout the encounter since our size alone intimidated them. For all our enterprise we lost the game 2-4. We were obviously the more talented team, but our forwards were more occupied with how many players they could dribble and selfishness was order of the day. The indian team looked more purposeful with the ball. At times they would hit the ball from 25-30 yards. It was just a kick-about but this match left me wondering and proved a good example some short comings of African (Nigerian) football mindset. Our players did not seem as bothered as I was, they seemed to be happy just to play. I would have loved if we were more result oriented.
I would have went home at halftime I'm done you just can't help People that don't want be helped!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Robotnik wrote:I was the goal keeper for a weekend select team made up of mostly NIgerians. It was when we played and lost to in Indian select team that I knew African footballers in most cases do not have high footballing IQ. We came fully equipped with our kits and a large number of us were 6 feet and over. The other team did not come prepared, no jerseys or shin guards. We were made to agree not be rough with them throughout the encounter since our size alone intimidated them. For all our enterprise we lost the game 2-4. We were obviously the more talented team, but our forwards were more occupied with how many players they could dribble and selfishness was order of the day. The indian team looked more purposeful with the ball. At times they would hit the ball from 25-30 yards. It was just a kick-about but this match left me wondering and proved a good example some short comings of African (Nigerian) football mindset. Our players did not seem as bothered as I was, they seemed to be happy just to play. I would have loved if we were more result oriented.
What is that and what is your evidence?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Ahidjo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ahidjo »

guest83 wrote:The problem is not football IQ. It's because african teams are trying to play like the europans. It will never work.

Give the SE team to Mourinho and he wouldn't field small players like Musa. He would play 4-5-1, all combative midfielders, center backs as full backs, and explode on teams with the counter attack. That's how the SE should play. Use our natural power and pace. It wouldn't be pretty but it would get results. That's for sure.
Sorry, but it boils down to IQ. I have come to that inevitable but sad conclusion. It does affect everything in Africa-governance, economy, creativity, religion... No amount of preparation and development will make a dumb player create an extraordinary opportunity from a tight situation. The coach does not tell players on the pitch who to pass the ball to, when to pass, when to dribble, when to take a shot, when to run solo, when to volley, how to pick out teammates in tight spaces... These are done with skills and intelligence. When two good teams meet, the side with more quality, creativity, techniques and skills triumph. Most Nigerian and African players may have the skills but they are usually limited by unintelligent decisions... The earlier we realize and acknowledge our individual and collective weaknesses, the better. Not saying that African countries cannot from time to time have a generation of very intelligent players.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Nah man. I don't think African players are inherently less intelligent. If you've taken any psychology class in college, you would have learned that IQ is largely influenced by environment. So basically the information you are exposed to. The same holds true when it comes to football intelligence. Because African players don't have the infrastructure and programs set in place for our young
Players to get the necessary body of information, often times African teams don't look as tactically sound or as cohesive as the top Euro teams. Germany and Spain for example start training their youngsters in their particular systems from when they are as young as five. This means by the time they are pros they are well schooled in how to play the game for both an individual andvtram perspective. Further the players are interchangeable which is to say any player can be replaced without it affecting their style of play.
Ahidjo wrote:
guest83 wrote:The problem is not football IQ. It's because african teams are trying to play like the europans. It will never work.

Give the SE team to Mourinho and he wouldn't field small players like Musa. He would play 4-5-1, all combative midfielders, center backs as full backs, and explode on teams with the counter attack. That's how the SE should play. Use our natural power and pace. It wouldn't be pretty but it would get results. That's for sure.
Sorry, but it boils down to IQ. I have come to that inevitable but sad conclusion. It does affect everything in Africa-governance, economy, creativity, religion... No amount of preparation and development will make a dumb player create an extraordinary opportunity from a tight situation. The coach does not tell players on the pitch who to pass the ball to, when to pass, when to dribble, when to take a shot, when to run solo, when to volley, how to pick out teammates in tight spaces... These are done with skills and intelligence. When two good teams meet, the side with more quality, creativity, techniques and skills triumph. Most Nigerian and African players may have the skills but they are usually limited by unintelligent decisions... The earlier we realize and acknowledge our individual and collective weaknesses, the better. Not saying that African countries cannot from time to time have a generation of very intelligent players.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Can not believe the IQ rubbish I am reading in this thread!!!!!
Jesu Kristi!!!!!! :blink:
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

Coach wrote:First and foremost, how applicable is the term team to each of Africa's applicants for the honour? The same can be said for each continent. One argue, what blights African football more than anything else, is a lack of footballing philosophy and identity. Aside from being big, strong, athletic, superlatives once upon a time, reserved for the bare-chested, willy swinging carelessly in the wind, mandingos, clobbering seven bells out of one another for the entertainment of the master. Africa needs a way, a manifesto of some sort, within that an identity can be forged. It is somewhat disingenuous to ask the opening posta questionn, for it could be argued, there are fewer teams more cocktailed and pick n' mixed and consequently, more burdened by variety of curriculum, than most Africans.

In short, greater emphasis must be placed on the grassroots game and the legislation of youth.

Nno!
Gbam!!!!

I keep telling people the main reason why the Germans are so good right now is not because they are skillful but because they have developed a football philosophy that was adopted by all the German clubs. Pluck any player from any club and they will fit into their national team.
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Damunk wrote:
I found this post the funniest because here he uses this experience to claim that African players have low IQ while absolving himself of course.
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Akure4Life wrote:
Coach wrote:First and foremost, how applicable is the term team to each of Africa's applicants for the honour? The same can be said for each continent. One argue, what blights African football more than anything else, is a lack of footballing philosophy and identity. Aside from being big, strong, athletic, superlatives once upon a time, reserved for the bare-chested, willy swinging carelessly in the wind, mandingos, clobbering seven bells out of one another for the entertainment of the master. Africa needs a way, a manifesto of some sort, within that an identity can be forged. It is somewhat disingenuous to ask the opening posta questionn, for it could be argued, there are fewer teams more cocktailed and pick n' mixed and consequently, more burdened by variety of curriculum, than most Africans.

In short, greater emphasis must be placed on the grassroots game and the legislation of youth.

Nno!
Gbam!!!!

I keep telling people the main reason why the Germans are so good right now is not because they are skillful but because they have developed a football philosophy that was adopted by all the German clubs. Pluck any player from any club and they will fit into their national team.
I like your reasoning. It is also the reason why the All Blacks are the greatest Rugby team in the world not that nonsense about IQ. It's a false sense of superiority inflicted by some group of Africans on others
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

akamoke wrote:
Damunk wrote:
I found this post the funniest because here he uses this experience to claim that African players have low IQ while absolving himself of course.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I saw it too, hence my question to him. Typical.

I really find it sickening to see how so-called 'educated' Nigerians are so quick to reach such uneducated concusions like "Nigerian/African footballers have a low IQ".
Now how unbright is that? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: