The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Post by anikulapo »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
bouncino wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
jdizzy wrote:Looks like Gabriel is off to Valencia. Does this mean Chambers stays? Another player with one year left on his contract
Arsenal desperately trying to sell players for money to sign Lemar I hope.
I thought money wasn't a problem
He has a budget. Board will not release funds until he is within his budget. He has to sell or loan out players.
Budget in terms of transfer fees or budget in terms of wages?

If one looks at players acquired and players sold Arsenal current expenditure is around 32 MP, suffice it to say Arsenal reported expenditure prior top the summer even before players were sold exceeded 32 MP.

IMO at the moment AW is simply unable to land players he desires i.e Lemar and Seri and...to be fair to AW he may no longer covet plan B or C options as he did last seasons in likes of Perez and Gabriel who are now expendable.

Now I will get torn to shreds for saying this but I don't expect Arsenal to challenge for the PL as currently constituted but it's not the end of the world. Frankly my hope is AW uses this season to use building block for next season, bleed in talent like Nelson, get Lacazette humming, solidify defensive cohension and set groundwork for a post Sanchez, OX and potentially Ozil era.

This should be a bridge season i.e 96/96 and 00-01, in those seasons Arsenal finished miles behind Man Utd in PL title chase but AW used it as process to build a squad that wold be perennial PL title challengers. IMO just to much going on at Arsenal on and off the pitch to expect a legit PL tile challenge this season.

For me a good season is Third in the PL and legit cup runs in both the Europa league and FA cup.

Wenger is out of time and out of excuses please ... no more mulligans
He sure as hell is not out of time, AW has 2 more years left at Arsenal..AT LEAST.

Dude I'm done ... love the team but I'm washing my hands off
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

lol i recall telling certain know-it-all four eyed midget Arsenal fans how foolish it was of wenger to spend £50 million on a striker when you lack quality defenders and defensive midfielders
Said fans were ridiculing me.
luckily for wenger its not too late to invest in top tier defenders
I hope he comes to his senses before the window closes
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

smartbrother wrote:lol i recall telling certain know-it-all four eyed midget Arsenal fans how foolish it was of wenger to spend £50 million on a striker when you lack quality defenders and defensive midfielders

Good luck!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

:rotf: Most beloved fans crack me up,people were celebrating when Wenger extend his contract and today that same people are complaining about Stoke result as if it is something new.Last year they say we have complete team yet finish 5th .This year some talking about titte.Wenger will never ever win the league again.We have not start playing thursday footie.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

smartbrother wrote:lol i recall telling certain know-it-all four eyed midget Arsenal fans how foolish it was of wenger to spend £50 million on a striker when you lack quality defenders and defensive midfielders

With respect if £50m is the extent of our transfer budget this summer - we were never ambitious enough to fight for the EPL.
How we set up, lack of closing down - simply our team defense will expose any defender including Van Dijk. The ease with which several Stoke players ran from deep through our midfield several times B4 halftime should've served as a lesson. It didn't
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

I find it difficult to believe AW doesn't have bonus clauses in his contract if he can cut down on our transfer budget.
Next week Alexis & Kos will start vs Liverpool but expect Liverpool to double or triple team Alexis - we don't have enough players
to make them pay.
Our refusal to add 2-3 matchwinnesr to this club will be problematic going forward.
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Lack of accountability is Arsenal real problem. We are two games into the season and nobody knows what Ozil contribution has been so far. He has started and played 2 full games. He has had ZERO influence on the game going forward. He continues to troll around the pitch like it is Sunday morning Jog around the park. Until Arsenal addresses their #10 position with a player really willing to play and contribute, Arsenal isn't going anywhere. Next week, he will start and play 90 minutes against Liverpool.

Xhaka + Ramsey in the center of the field is just disaster waiting to happen... Welbeck is a waste of space, because he is not going to give you anything expected from strikers. Yes, he runs ... so what? His running is there to compensate for other players in midfield (Ozil) who refuse to run. My striker is paid to score goals.
The Ox is just a mystery ... showing brilliance every 30 minutes in a 90 minutes game. For the remaining time, Ox is completely anonymous. Wenger will play him 90 minutes, until he signs a new contract, then he will go back to the bench...
We have seen this movie before ... 13+ years and counting ...
Bepanda
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

bepanda wrote:Lack of accountability is Arsenal real problem. We are two games into the season and nobody knows what Ozil contribution has been so far. He has started and played 2 full games. He has had ZERO influence on the game going forward. He continues to troll around the pitch like it is Sunday morning Jog around the park. Until Arsenal addresses their #10 position with a player really willing to play and contribute, Arsenal isn't going anywhere. Next week, he will start and play 90 minutes against Liverpool.

Xhaka + Ramsey in the center of the field is just disaster waiting to happen... Welbeck is a waste of space, because he is not going to give you anything expected from strikers. Yes, he runs ... so what? His running is there to compensate for other players in midfield (Ozil) who refuse to run. My striker is paid to score goals.
The Ox is just a mystery ... showing brilliance every 30 minutes in a 90 minutes game. For the remaining time, Ox is completely anonymous. Wenger will play him 90 minutes, until he signs a new contract, then he will go back to the bench...
Bepanda

Go watch the Stoke goal closely, see the contribution of everyone in the sequence then tell me again how bad Ozil was. Refused to run indeed.

Ox? Send him away to the highest bidder.....like Walcott, he's just not improved at Arsenal and won't as long as Arsene is coach....Arsene isn't going anywhere so maximize your prospects by canning him.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

This squad has enough talent to compete against Stoke City. We didn't lose because of a lack of talent. We lost because we have a coach who refuses to hold players accountable. It is very simple.
Good coaches buy players to send a message to other players that if they don't produce, there is someone else there to take their place. At Arsenal, there are players who have been guaranteed a place on the team regardless of their performance. When a player stinks, the coach must take him off and he needs to deal with it. If he cannot deal with it, then he needs to be sent away.
Arsenal main players are not producing. And nobody knows how to force them to actually become productive. This is leadership 101. Wenger doesn't have it.
Bepanda
tolahs wrote:
With respect if £50m is the extent of our transfer budget this summer - we were never ambitious enough to fight for the EPL.
How we set up, lack of closing down - simply our team defense will expose any defender including Van Dijk. The ease with which several Stoke players ran from deep through our midfield several times B4 halftime should've served as a lesson. It didn't
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

bepanda wrote:This squad has enough talent to compete against Stoke City. We didn't lose because of a lack of talent. We lost because we have a coach who refuses to hold players accountable. It is very simple.
Good coaches buy players to send a message to other players that if they don't produce, there is someone else there to take their place. At Arsenal, there are players who have been guaranteed a place on the team regardless of their performance. When a player stinks, the coach must take him off and he needs to deal with it. If he cannot deal with it, then he needs to be sent away.
Arsenal main players are not producing. And nobody knows how to force them to actually become productive. This is leadership 101. Wenger doesn't have it.
Bepanda
tolahs wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Take a bow son. No one fears Wenger and is worried about being dropped or held accountable ... its bloody pathetic
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

bepanda wrote:Lack of accountability is Arsenal real problem. We are two games into the season and nobody knows what Ozil contribution has been so far. He has started and played 2 full games. He has had ZERO influence on the game going forward. He continues to troll around the pitch like it is Sunday morning Jog around the park. Until Arsenal addresses their #10 position with a player really willing to play and contribute, Arsenal isn't going anywhere. Next week, he will start and play 90 minutes against Liverpool.

Bepanda

Ozil and Ox are plain average and not worth an extension to their contract.
Last edited by realtrouble on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

realtrouble wrote:

Bepanda

Both Ozil and Ox are plain average and not worth an extension to their contract

Ox too? Nah I can't agree with that. He is our one true wing threat. Unfortunately he needs Giroud in there plus better final balls into the box won't hurt :woot:

MLK.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

tolahs wrote:

The problem with fans is they love generalizing when describing what in fact are specific flaws.
"Lack of Closing down" is not the problem. Specific incompetent defenders are the problem
xhaka is useless. Monreal is useless. Replace them. Simple.
The ease with which jese ran past Monreal is what killed arsenal yesterday.
Replace the likes of Monreal, Xhaka and other useless defensive players with competent figures like Van Dijk and Arsenal will be a transformed team
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

smartbrother wrote:
tolahs wrote:

The problem with fans is they love generalizing when describing what in fact are specific flaws.
"Lack of Closing down" is not the problem. Specific incompetent defenders are the problem
Replace the likes of Monreal, Xhaka and other useless defensive players with competent figures like Van Dijk and Arsenal will be a transformed team
Or simply replace Wenger.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Thanks Chief, people go about who to be ship or buy when the main person that need to be replaced is Wenger.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
tolahs wrote:

It's not rocket science.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

platinum wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
tolahs wrote:

It's not rocket science.
Welp that is never going to happen, any solution has to come with reality AW will be the manager for the next 2 seasons..AT LEAST!!!
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
platinum wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
tolahs wrote:

It's not rocket science.
Welp that is never going to happen, any solution has to come with reality AW will be the manager for the next 2 seasons..AT LEAST!!!
.....no chance....the fans will force him out if this mediocrity continues......no top 4, no trophies, no ucl, your best players leaving on a free, he's out
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

smartbrother wrote:
tolahs wrote:

Go watch Keown & Stevie G describe our problems from 2mins
We were run at from deep several times in the 1st half - that's not the problem of the backline - it's firstly a porous midfield(lack of a ball winner & 2ndly lack of ball pressure(no closing down)
Chelsea is playing vs Spurs right now - diamond in front of the makeshift backline with David Luis shielding the defense(interesting in that tape Keown thought Mustafi should be the DM).
watch the speed of the defensive help when a defender is one on one by both clubs - yep. closing down - pressure defense. Compare the speed of Stoke's help outs in their defensive 25 to ours.
Have a good Sunday.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Gooner1 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
platinum wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
tolahs wrote:

It's not rocket science.
.....no chance....the fans will force him out if this mediocrity continues......no top 4, no trophies, no ucl, your best players leaving on a free, he's out
Out how..via twitter, via youtube videos, via message boards..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Told you guys last season he was going nowhere, and I will state the same again, you guys totally ignore the reality around the only man the matters Stan Kronke.

His NHL team the Avalanche are the worst in the league, his NBA team Denver Nuggets has missed the playoffs annually post Melo trade, his NFL team the Rams have not made the playoffs in at least a decade, despite that he stuck by Jeff Fisher for 8 payoffless seasons...despite the heat from media, anger of away Gooners, the aspirations to see AW exit from Gazidis, Keswick and his own damn son Josh what did Stan Kronke do..he kicked everyone arse to the side and called up AW to a one on one meeting and handed AW a two year deal.

You guys want to live in this fantasy world that AW will be as ousted as if he is Ben Ali or Hosni Mubarak by all means continue down that rabbit hole. I must reiterate any serious discussion on what Arsenal can and must do to improve can only be undertaken with reality that AW is going nowhere and must be part of the solution.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

Other teams with far much better players both offensively and defensively are playing with two central midfielders acting as a base for their attackers at the same time sitting to shield the defense and only going forward when necessary to do so with either one sitting whilst the other is helping offensive players. That doesn't mean bypassing your supposed to be offensive players and taking the strikers position(apparently thats when you are playing as a box to box midfielder) and then when the team loses the ball you are too far to go back to your position. The example of that is ramsey being on lacazzete's position when Xhaka lost the ball. What does Arsene think that is gonna amount to? Teams which are far much better arsenal are not doing that but somehow he thinks that his team is so special that they will get away with those harakiri tactics. How the **** does the oldest manager in the league play like a %$#@^& infantile

I understand that Coq is not good enough(good enough against the likes of stokes though as shown by last seasons game at the same ground) but why not play him with Xhaka at the base of the midfield to help that patched up defense(monreal is a fullback and he can play as part of a back three but not centrally. Kolasinac is also a fullback). I find it amazing that he(wenger) is the one criticizing the defence after playing the whole defense out of position and leaving them with no help from the midfield. What the **** did he expect?
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

bk-one wrote:Other teams with far much better players both offensively and defensively are playing with two central midfielders acting as a base for their attackers at the same time sitting to shield the defense and only going forward when necessary to do so with either one sitting whilst the other is helping offensive players. That doesn't mean bypassing your supposed to be offensive players and taking the strikers position(apparently thats when you are playing as a box to box midfielder) and then when the team loses the ball you are too far to go back to your position. The example of that is ramsey being on lacazzete's position when Xhaka lost the ball. What does Arsene think that is gonna amount to? Teams which are far much better arsenal are not doing that but somehow he thinks that his team is so special that they will get away with those harakiri tactics. How the #$% does the oldest manager in the league play like a %$#@^& infantile
:agree:
AW's whole spiel comes across as reckless & ill-thought-out.
The scenario you describe makes for lack of shape & we become easy to counter. Compare the thought that went into runs the Chelsea wingbacks made vs Spurs today to the endless runs ours are instructed to make. That space they vacate as we saw vs LCFC
becomes easy to attack - you expose slow footed midfielders like Xhaka to defending in a FB spot.
We played vs Stoke with a makeshift backline but no protection - Chelsea played with a similar line vs Spurs but built a wall in front.
Our fanbase are letting AW again getaway with what tactically is suicide.

Keown: "Stoke went through their defence so easily. They were unlucky for the goal not given but they didn't look like champions today."
Gerrard: "It was typical Arsenal. Fantastic in possession but just passive out of possession. Not enough people that want to run back."...."Arsenal have too many technical players in their eleven. They need some with steel & aggression to do the other side of the game.".......
Gerrard on if Arsenal don't change: "It's just going to look nice, they're going to look great in possession and have results like this."

Henry: "You cannot have your two holding midfielders bombing forward. At times they will score but you want them to do their job."
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?