The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Post by tolahs »

Unai Emery: If Arsenal players buy in to his philosophy, they can win things

By Julien Laurens(French football writer)

Of course, Emery was the man in charge when PSG were beaten 6-1 by Barcelona at the Nou Camp last year to lose that remarkable Champions League last-16 tie........
But he was also in charge when they beat them 4-0 in the first leg in Paris. That was an incredible game, it was a tactical masterpiece by Emery, the way his team pressed high and the intensity they had.........
The second leg was very disappointing but the players have admitted they played with fear, which was not Emery's plan......Emery will get Arsenal more organised than they have been. He's really keen on drills and discipline, worked PSG hard at training and has got a very good idea of what he wants to do.....His first game at PSG was the 2016 Trophee des Champions - the French Community Shield - against Lyon and they won 4-1. PSG played with an intensity like they never had before. It looked like his philosophy - pressing high, running a lot, attacking a lot, defending a lot, full backs bombing forward.....But then the players said they should go back to what they know because they were used to tiki-taka football where they took their time. ......Emery had to evolve a bit to accommodate his players, when it shouldn't have been like that - it should've been the players accommodating his philosophy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44204959
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty balanced & informative piece by Julien Laurens who thinks we need a rebuilding job - i respectfully disagree knowing many Gooners here & elsewhere agree with his conclusions. I honestly believe the performances vs Spurs at home & Chelsea away in the EPL last season needed not to be flukes - we can put on 30 of 38 EPL performances of that sort with the right mentality. We need re-tweaking not rebuilding - maybe it's semantics - it's about urgency, intensity & speeding up our passing game.
We now know the PSG players said "But then the players said they should go back to what they know because they were used to tiki-taka football where they took their time. " - i wonder why we switched from those effective performances to what looked like aimless outings - had AW become compromised so much that his authority over the squad was weak?

2nd Leg vs Barca: "The second leg was very disappointing but the players have admitted they played with fear, which was not Emery's plan"
Reminds me of AW & " we played with handbrakes on" - it becomes the enabling of bad habits by us fans & clubs cos we go from being understanding to condoning a laissez-faire attitude.
We as fans start to miss signs - remember CSKA away:
Laurent Koscielny admits Arsenal didn’t follow Arsene Wenger’s plan against CSKA Moscow:
‘It was not the plan [to defend deep]. I think we missed a lot of movement to be available for our teammates. We didn’t win the duels,’ he told BT Sport.....‘They [CSKA] played well with the ball. They had some opportunities and took the goals.’
-----------------------------------------------------

Arsene once produced kids Cesc, RVP who were fearless - Emery needs to bring the intensity of Valencia & Sevilla to the squad but fear on the pitch cannot be an option.
When Ox said playing at Liverpool you know your job - he was shut down by gooners - AW trusted his players so much, he lost control -

Emery had to evolve a bit to accommodate his players, when it shouldn't have been like that - it should've been the players accommodating his philosophy.

This piece here about Emery basically bowing to the needs of divas cannot be repeated at Arsenal
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... l-12580591

Bad start by Unai? Jumping the gun :taunt: :taunt:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

anikulapo wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... l-12580591

Bad start by Unai? Jumping the gun :taunt: :taunt:
A fake website, perhaps?
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

My analysis and quick views on Unai Emery, his tactics and football philosophy.

First off, this is a man who has made public his admiration for Wenger. They are also very good friends. I believe the stories that Wenger was involved in his recruitment.

Unai Emery: "In my head, everything is clear. My philosophy is not difficult to understand: I defend to attack. The game system is only a practical projection of what you think. But then with 20 players I can create hundreds of combinations. Why would I deprive myself of it?"

Emery sees himself as an attack-minded coach, but the evidence from watching him at Almeria, Valencia and even at times at PSG suggest otherwise. Who remembers PSG at home against us in the CL, Emery played 3 DMs (Rabiot Matuidi and Krychowiak) with another DM, Verrati at number 10. Emery is a very pragmatic coach despite playing the attacking game. I have watched his teams play all 3 different defensive blocks. So he knows how to set up teams to defend in any scheme. Indeed, he sets up his team to be compact, and from a defensive foundation he attacks. This is very much like the young Arsene Wenger. Also, like the young Wenger, he likes the physical side of the game. His teams also have a dark side and are adepth at gamesmanship and tricks.

He gets his teams organised behind the ball, but not the best at opening up deep defensive blocks. This is one thing he must work on cos teams are very adept at parking the bus in the league. However he is a real student of the game, so I am convinced he will aware and be prepared to deal with problem in our league. Indeed it is said he surprised the Arsenal recruitment team with his dossiers of knowledge of every Arsenal player, including the Youth teams. Even had ideas of how to improve each player.

Emery is a pragmatist with his tactics and prepares accordingly. He scouts opponents meticulously, and gives his players dossiers of their opponents to prepare for games. He makes his own videos and put its on USB sticks for his players to study their opponents before games. Of course not all players are impressed as we know from Valencia and PSG. This is where he might have problems with information overload of players in our league.

Some players questioned his methods and wondered why they should worry so much about the opposition and not spend the same on themselves. He said himself that up to a quarter of his thinking before a game is about the opposition.

Emery's favourite formation is 4-2-3-1, but like most of the top Coaches he is flexible, he changes it during games and often plays different formations with and without the ball. His next favourite is 4-3-3 and he occasionally uses the 4-1-4-1 formation.

He likes pushing full-backs high when he is not being pressed, which is good for Bellerin/Kolasinac. But, he is not one to use both Wide/Full Backs in attack simultaneously. He plays a Regista/DM and in the past let his DM slot into a false back three for this phase, this will be good for Xhaka. However, he likes a physical tackler in there, don't forget he took Krychowiak with him to PSG for this reason.

Emery keeps his sides compact and likes a goalkeeper who can involve himself in build-up play. He also encourages his wide players to drop deep making the free man in space, he likes moving the ball to find the free man in build-up play. I will hazard a guess and say Emery's Arsenal will probably be harder to press high than Wenger's because, he will instruct his players to drop back in numbers to form passing outlets. Also, he will hit the long ball or just kick the ball out of play instead of forcing the play and giving away the ball.

Emery prefers his wide players hanging in the half spaces, rather than wide. The likes of Iwobi and Mkhitaryan would benefit from this, it forces opponents into a narrow shape, another feature is, his wide players often drop deeper to pull defences out, creating spaces behind. I have observed his teams tend to struggle against deep defensive blocks - a concern cos it is a speciality in the EPL.

At PSG, he got Cavani move into the half spaces in and around the box, making use of the spaces created by PSG's passing and movement behind. I am very interested in seeing him utilise Lacazette and Aubameyang, if he goes with both, they both have top movement and it could be the answer to deep defensive blocks defending.

Emery's teams are also good pressers. He prefers to use zonal pressing schemes, forcing the ball wide, whilst keeping his teams central. He is a very good organiser of the deep block but his side's tend to struggle to counter attack from the deep positions.

Emery was my wish to replace Wenger. I never felt PSG was the job for him, his philosophy was far too pragmatic to keep his players happy. For Arsenal, it is key they got a Coach that can win under pressure of working with a small budget. He thrived under a small budget and underdogs at Sevilla, but he did not have to deal with the type of pressure he will face at Arsenal. I am calling it a perfect fit because all he needs is Millistat and co to deliver better quality players than Monchi did for him at Sevilla and I am confident we will be top 4 and challenging for the title.

Arsenal have a lot of young players, the olders ones are still very adaptable, so Emery will get Arsenal to adapt to his philosophy, which is not far away from Wenger's. IMHO, there is far more continuity with Wenger than total change, so adapting will not be revolutionary, it will be evolutionary. The key to it all will be how many new players come in the summer, the more the players, the longer the transition process. It is going to be an interesting transition for Arsenal, but there is potential for a lot the players to develop. I am hopeful it will work out.

For me, I cannot be happier. Unai Emery is a great signing. As much as I was willing to accept Arteta, I was always concerned about his inexperience and it would have been a huge gamble going for Arteta. What we needed was a man like Emery with the experience of working under the new type of structure Arsenal have put in place.

He is the best manager on the market right now and we got him. Now the Board must deliver in the transfer window to get Arsenal back in the CL.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Waffiman wrote:My analysis and quick views on Unai Emery, his tactics and football philosophy.

First off, this is a man who has made public his admiration for Wenger. They are also very good friends. I believe the stories that Wenger was involved in his recruitment.

Unai Emery: "In my head, everything is clear. My philosophy is not difficult to understand: I defend to attack. The game system is only a practical projection of what you think. But then with 20 players I can create hundreds of combinations. Why would I deprive myself of it?"

Emery sees himself as an attack-minded coach, but the evidence from watching him at Almeria, Valencia and even at times at PSG suggest otherwise. Who remembers PSG at home against us in the CL, Emery played 3 DMs (Rabiot Matuidi and Krychowiak) with another DM, Verrati at number 10. Emery is a very pragmatic coach despite playing the attacking game. I have watched his teams play all 3 different defensive blocks. So he knows how to set up teams to defend in any scheme. Indeed, he sets up his team to be compact, and from a defensive foundation he attacks. This is very much like the young Arsene Wenger. Also, like the young Wenger, he likes the physical side of the game. His teams also have a dark side and are adepth at gamesmanship and tricks.

He gets his teams organised behind the ball, but not the best at opening up deep defensive blocks. This is one thing he must work on cos teams are very adept at parking the bus in the league. However he is a real student of the game, so I am convinced he will aware and be prepared to deal with problem in our league. Indeed it is said he surprised the Arsenal recruitment team with his dossiers of knowledge of every Arsenal player, including the Youth teams. Even had ideas of how to improve each player.

Emery is a pragmatist with his tactics and prepares accordingly. He scouts opponents meticulously, and gives his players dossiers of their opponents to prepare for games. He makes his own videos and put its on USB sticks for his players to study their opponents before games. Of course not all players are impressed as we know from Valencia and PSG. This is where he might have problems with information overload of players in our league.

Some players questioned his methods and wondered why they should worry so much about the opposition and not spend the same on themselves. He said himself that up to a quarter of his thinking before a game is about the opposition.

Emery's favourite formation is 4-2-3-1, but like most of the top Coaches he is flexible, he changes it during games and often plays different formations with and without the ball. His next favourite is 4-3-3 and he occasionally uses the 4-1-4-1 formation.

He likes pushing full-backs high when he is not being pressed, which is good for Bellerin/Kolasinac. But, he is not one to use both Wide/Full Backs in attack simultaneously. He plays a Regista/DM and in the past let his DM slot into a false back three for this phase, this will be good for Xhaka. However, he likes a physical tackler in there, don't forget he took Krychowiak with him to PSG for this reason.

Emery keeps his sides compact and likes a goalkeeper who can involve himself in build-up play. He also encourages his wide players to drop deep making the free man in space, he likes moving the ball to find the free man in build-up play. I will hazard a guess and say Emery's Arsenal will probably be harder to press high than Wenger's because, he will instruct his players to drop back in numbers to form passing outlets. Also, he will hit the long ball or just kick the ball out of play instead of forcing the play and giving away the ball.

Emery prefers his wide players hanging in the half spaces, rather than wide. The likes of Iwobi and Mkhitaryan would benefit from this, it forces opponents into a narrow shape, another feature is, his wide players often drop deeper to pull defences out, creating spaces behind. I have observed his teams tend to struggle against deep defensive blocks - a concern cos it is a speciality in the EPL.

At PSG, he got Cavani move into the half spaces in and around the box, making use of the spaces created by PSG's passing and movement behind. I am very interested in seeing him utilise Lacazette and Aubameyang, if he goes with both, they both have top movement and it could be the answer to deep defensive blocks defending.

Emery's teams are also good pressers. He prefers to use zonal pressing schemes, forcing the ball wide, whilst keeping his teams central. He is a very good organiser of the deep block but his side's tend to struggle to counter attack from the deep positions.

Emery was my wish to replace Wenger. I never felt PSG was the job for him, his philosophy was far too pragmatic to keep his players happy. For Arsenal, it is key they got a Coach that can win under pressure of working with a small budget. He thrived under a small budget and underdogs at Sevilla, but he did not have to deal with the type of pressure he will face at Arsenal. I am calling it a perfect fit because all he needs is Millistat and co to deliver better quality players than Monchi did for him at Sevilla and I am confident we will be top 4 and challenging for the title.

Arsenal have a lot of young players, the olders ones are still very adaptable, so Emery will get Arsenal to adapt to his philosophy, which is not far away from Wenger's. IMHO, there is far more continuity with Wenger than total change, so adapting will not be revolutionary, it will be evolutionary. The key to it all will be how many new players come in the summer, the more the players, the longer the transition process. It is going to be an interesting transition for Arsenal, but there is potential for a lot the players to develop. I am hopeful it will work out.

For me, I cannot be happier. Unai Emery is a great signing. As much as I was willing to accept Arteta, I was always concerned about his inexperience and it would have been a huge gamble going for Arteta. What we needed was a man like Emery with the experience of working under the new type of structure Arsenal have put in place.

He is the best manager on the market right now and we got him. Now the Board must deliver in the transfer window to get Arsenal back in the CL.
:)
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
tmex12
Egg
Egg

Post by tmex12 »

Waffiman wrote:My analysis and quick views on Unai Emery, his tactics and football philosophy.

Message brought to you by Arsenals PR department :rotf: :rotf:
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

tmex12 wrote: Message brought to you by Arsenals PR department :rotf: :rotf:
You probably mean Arsene's PR dept.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

Press Conf. Today - London time 2p.m - let's get it!!!

My kind of Assistant - takes no prisoners:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... t-12581721
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

theYemster wrote:

And here was I, naively thinking Waffi would join the rest of us, or at least leave us alone and follow Wenger after being let go....
Brothers, prepare for WAR. Waffi has found a new can-do-no-wrong hero :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Let me recruit the likes of Oloye, Cellular, Tmex et al to stay behind and fight the numerous battles on the horizon instead of leaving a few of us to be battling Waffi :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

He's a good coach. We'll see how it shakes out. The EPL has some heavyweight teams but he inherits a good squad.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

:thumbs: :thumb:
I am glad we got him. He fits into our new administrative structure.
He is willing to work with a small(er) budget. He’s got serious domestic
and continental chops. He is pragmatic, adaptable and he has something
to prove.

I welcome the early appointment. He has a lot of thinking and planning
to do.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
theYemster wrote:

And here was I, naively thinking Waffi would join the rest of us, or at least leave us alone and follow Wenger after being let go....
Brothers, prepare for WAR. Waffi has found a new can-do-no-wrong hero :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Let me recruit the likes of Oloye, Cellular, Tmex et al to stay behind and fight the numerous battles on the horizon instead of leaving a few of us to be battling Waffi :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
He's the same geezer who a few weeks ago used to claim that no one but Wenger could do a job at Arsenal. Now here he is waxing lyrical about Emery simply because he allegedly paid Wenger all manner of compliments.

If Emery succeeds Waffib will find a way to credit Wenger...if he fails he's gonna use that to absolve Wenger of his past failings. Win, win.

I'm onto his con. :)

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

What is the expectation from Arsenal fans??? W
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Welcome Unai Emery!

I wish you a long and successful tenure as the Arsenal boss.
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

theYemster wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
theYemster wrote:

He's the same geezer who a few weeks ago used to claim that no one but Wenger could do a job at Arsenal. Now here he is waxing lyrical about Emery simply because he allegedly paid Wenger all manner of compliments.

If Emery succeeds Waffib will find a way to credit Wenger...if he fails he's gonna use that to absolve Wenger of his past failings. Win, win.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You’ve become an annoying professional troll :lol: and seemingly love every second of it :mrgreen:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:And here was I, naively thinking Waffi would join the rest of us, or at least leave us alone and follow Wenger after being let go....

Unlike you, I always stick my neck out. Here is what I said about Unai Emery in 2016. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

==========
Waffiman wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:Watching on bbc news 24 sro no link

Wonder if heading to EPL
PSG.
Thanks chief. Would been god if he headed to epl to mix things up. I hope he can can take psg to that elusive higher level
I am not too happy about it because he is my 1st choice to replace Wenger when the day comes.
========

See link below.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=272360

There are no guarantees, but Unai Emery is exactly what the doctor ordered.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

theYemster wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
theYemster wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: well said,at one point no one can do the job like Wenger,Wenger will leave at his own time,he was forced out,Wenger want PV4 to succeed him but don't want to be part of who to be the new coach,two days ago Wenger still hanging around Arsenal training ground and now it is like he has a man in Emery.Am so glad he is gone.Hopefully Emery will do a good job than wenger ever did for beloved sake.I hope he is a better manager than Wenger and will used PSG failure as a stepping stone.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Ebyboy wrote:

:thumbs: :thumb:
I am glad we got him. He fits into our new administrative structure.
He is willing to work with a small(er) budget. He’s got serious domestic
and continental chops. He is pragmatic, adaptable and he has something
to prove.

I welcome the early appointment. He has a lot of thinking and planning
to do.
Spot on. I agree with all your observations.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Why is he appointed "Head Coach" rather than "Manager"?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

txj wrote:Why is he appointed "Head Coach" rather than "Manager"?
Maybe the club is going through restructuring going by the hires of the last few months. Separation of power?
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Arsenal have now introduced a continental style approach across all sections of the club. It is the brave post Wenger move we are excited about.

The reality is Wenger worked with a committee in the last 3 seasons. They had the StatsDNA team working with Wenger then, it was disbanded last summer after it was agreed it did not deliver expected results.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

wanaj0 wrote:What is the expectation from Arsenal fans??? W
As usual, given our expenditure on wages, which is now 5th in the league and has been for 3 seasons. I will take top 4 right now and a trophy will be a bonus.

With regards to transfer expenditure, most of what has been spent especially recently have been paid for with players sales. Once again, we have a situation where our budget for the summer is £50m unless we sell to buy again.

Nothing has changed, just a new structure and a new Head Coach.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:
Arsenal have now introduced a continental style approach across all sections of the club. It is the brave post Wenger move we are excited about.

The reality is Wenger worked with a committee in the last 3 seasons. They had the StatsDNA team working with Wenger then, it was disbanded last summer after it was agreed it did not deliver expected results.

Slow Learners just like you :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

MLK.