The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Post by Nkume »

El Neny has an ankle injury. The Boss says it "doesn't look good".
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

I hope El Neny recovers for Arsenal and for Egypt.
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Lacazette the ‘flop’, according to some here, has scored more League goals than Morata, 3 behind Lukaku and 2 behind Firmino having missed 2 months and always got subbed cos he was carrying an injury.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Nemesis
Egg
Egg

Post by Nemesis »

Times columnist Matthew Syed takes a look at Arsène Wenger's career at Arsenal (BBC Newsnight)
[/video]
Anyone who is not paying his tithe is not going to heaven, full stop.
......Pastor Adeboye
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Waffiman wrote:https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/op ... ssion=true

I was a Season Ticket holder long before Wenger and I will be a Season Ticket holder long after Wenger. I am ready for the next era at Arsenal.

I will never forget what Wenger did for the club, I am one of the fortunate few fans who witnessed it all in person. Also, I will not forgive the fans who abused him. It is they who should get out of our club.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I like the part about Wenger’s introversion and barrel-chested boors :rotf: :rotf: .
May we not regret this legend’s departure.
#MerciArsene

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Reading the posts about Wenger being asked to leave/fired just shows me and many people are not cut out for management.

You see a trend and you hold out hope that the trend will change... Arsene Wenger jumped the shark many moons ago... and if not for the boat load of cash the board should have done something about it a long time ago.

Do Arsenal and its fans consider themselves an Elite club?

Why then do some fans insist on holding on to a coach whose best days are past him?

Had they made the change earlier they would have been in the running to land top innovative coaches like Klopp or Guardiola...

This is a chance to reset a club that was on the decline. This change brings hope back to the fans and will also breath fresh air and blood to the players.

Thank him for what he was handsomely compensated for and move on.

Coaching is not a tenured position.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Nkume wrote:El Neny has an ankle injury. The Boss says it "doesn't look good".
Hearing he will be fine for the WC.
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Waffiman wrote:
Nkume wrote:El Neny has an ankle injury. The Boss says it "doesn't look good".
Hearing he will be fine for the WC.

Good for him.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

All sorts of stories out there about Wenger being pushed or not being pushed. But Wenger himself alluded to the fans and divisions within as one reason.

Personally, I do not think the split is amiable or planned for now, and this is a view shared by almost every Gooner I spoke to today. Many feel he has been double crossed by the Board.

My WhatsApp groups are quite reliable on these things, one especially has been categoric certain Board members wanted Wenger gone last summer and this season. I posted it here a fews months back. The Owner stepped this season when they tried to remove Wenger, two of them offered their resignations then changed their minds.

Same person says recently, the Board, which now included the Owner's son, then put a proposition to the Owner with complaints about fans not turning up and fears for ST renewals. The Board got the Owners word that change will come if we are not in the CL. Wenger was informed by Galzidis and agreed to it, then slept over it, changed his mind and decided to resign thus throwing Galzidis and his plans in a complete mess. He then hastily called a press conference after Wenger's brief statement about his decision to resign.

Whatever it is, it is pointless now. Arsenal must move on and those left in charge must get it right. Arsenal do not have money for mistakes.

Wenger won silverware, the next man must match Wenger or else. From what I saw today, the fans are definitely not united, a man has to come in and start winning to unite the fans or else the civil war will get even more nasty.

One thing I now know is the Wenger haters will hate again. Just wait. It is in their DNA. I can see it already. I can now seat back and watch Galzidis, they are after him and he cannot afford any mistakes. The Emirates today, was nowhere near sweetness and niceness. Wenger was easily the most popular man there and the fans made this known. There were pockets of insults for Galzidis.

The Americans at Arsenal must now deliver and if they think they can do it without spending like the Americans at Liverpool have, expect things to get really foul at the Emirates. Mark my words.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cellular wrote:Reading the posts about Wenger being asked to leave/fired just shows me and many people are not cut out for management.

You see a trend and you hold out hope that the trend will change... Arsene Wenger jumped the shark many moons ago... and if not for the boat load of cash the board should have done something about it a long time ago.

Why then do some fans insist on holding on to a coach whose best days are past him?

Had they made the change earlier they would have been in the running to land top innovative coaches like Klopp or Guardiola...

This is a chance to reset a club that was on the decline. This change brings hope back to the fans and will also breath fresh air and blood to the players.

Would they give this coach the money Pep has at City? As for Klopp, he too has had £175m of their American Owners money. If only our Owners gave us such luxuries.

The idea that Wenger and Wenger alone has been the problem at Arsenal is ridiculous and unrealistic. This has been my issue here for ages now.

Once again this season like it has been for almost every season since Roman Abramovich brought big money into the game. The richest clubs in all the major European league's are winning the league or getting to the latter stages of the CL. This is fact. You spend big, you have a better chance of winning.

Wenger is going now, I want to see the miracles this next coach will deliver with Wenger's budget.

I do not know what you mean by an elite club but you lot just bandy words that mean nothing to your average fan.

If elite club means money to spend like City, Madrid, PSG, ManU etc etc. Then Arsenal are not an elite club.

If elite club means support base and success, Arsenal are definitely in the Elite of the English game.

But All this elite this or that means jack to me and to many like me. We don't care whether we are seen as elite or not, we just want to win matches, get back in the CL and win silverware.

Today, I went to watch my team play very well in glorious London sunshine, but it is more than that. It is also a social occasion, a meeting of old friends, drinks food etc etc. It is football, it is living and it is a part of one's life. So long as the next coach gives me anything close to what Wenger gave me, I am happy. Wenger was unique, I do not expect anyone to be as good again in my life time. I have moved on because nothing must compromise my football life.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Now watch Galzidis play politics by appointing Vieira. He is Wenger's preferred replacement but I am afraid, a wrong one if the Board will not back him with finance. Even with money, I fear for him with our current players.

For me, it will be a cynical, political move to unite the fans. But if there is no substance with cash to back him, it will be tragic cos it is cheap.

The rumour mill say Vieira, I say political, cynical, and highly questionable.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Arsenal have scored 72 goals at Emirates so far this season, the second highest tally ever in a home campaign (78 in 1934/45)

Going backward.....
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Waffiman wrote:
Cellular wrote:Reading the posts about Wenger being asked to leave/fired just shows me and many people are not cut out for management.

Would they give this coach the money Pep has at City? As for Klopp, he too has had £175m of their American Owners money. If only our Owners gave us such luxuries.

The idea that Wenger and Wenger alone has been the problem at Arsenal is ridiculous and unrealistic. This has been my issue here for ages now.

Once again this season like it has been for almost every season since Roman Abramovich brought big money into the game. The richest clubs in all the major European league's are winning the league or getting to the latter stages of the CL. This is fact. You spend big, you have a better chance of winning.

Wenger is going now, I want to see the miracles this next coach will deliver with Wenger's budget.

I do not know what you mean by an elite club but you lot just bandy words that mean nothing to your average fan.

If elite club means money to spend like City, Madrid, PSG, ManU etc etc. Then Arsenal are not an elite club.

If elite club means support base and success, Arsenal are definitely in the Elite of the English game.

But All this elite this or that means jack to me and to many like me. We don't care whether we are seen as elite or not, we just want to win matches, get back in the CL and win silverware.

Today, I went to watch my team play very well in glorious London sunshine, but it is more than that. It is also a social occasion, a meeting of old friends, drinks food etc etc. It is football, it is living and it is a part of one's life. So long as the next coach gives me anything close to what Wenger gave me, I am happy. Wenger was unique, I do not expect anyone to be as good again in my life time. I have moved on because nothing must compromise my football life.
Waffi, I wish our fans could see the big picture. Unfortunately they were corrupted by the media attack on Arsene, and emotional pygmies on Arsenal fan tv.

I will be watching with popcorn when Arsene leaves.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Nkume wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Waffi, I wish our fans could see the big picture. Unfortunately they were corrupted by the media attack on Arsene, and emotional pygmies on Arsenal fan tv.

I just watched the game and saw Wenger's interview. Very interesting. But he was clear about the fans and the lack of unity.

But I am not interested in what made him decide to go, I want to look forward.

Whether he was asked to resign or whatever, I say,

Arsene again acted in the best interests of the Club.

I am relishing his final games cos I know I will never see his like again.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Oh well btw ..Vierra being beaten blue and black by Fernando Ali and the timbers...3-0 now ..

Make we see Vierra ...Enrique seem to be the ones in pole position.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:
Nkume wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

I just watched the game and saw Wenger's interview. Very interesting. But he was clear about the fans and the lack of unity.

I’m watching and reading between the lines .... Hmmm Gazidis don chop bottle ... won’t say with total confidence that he was asked to leave but it looks like he could see the writing on the wall in stark clear terms .... Make I go get popcorn for next season.

Dis gonna be good :mrgreen: :mrgreen: might be time to stay permanently in my Madrid roots and start trolling the new Les Pussies :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

"Arsene Wenger was so great, he made Arsenal imagine themselves entitled to greatness, when the only greatness they had was his. His legacy is what he leaves behind - the worst fans in football." - Tom Peck.
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Amen! Amen! :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

anikulapo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Nkume wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

I’m watching and reading between the lines .... Hmmm Gazidis don chop bottle ... won’t say with total confidence that he was asked to leave but it looks like he could see the writing on the wall in stark clear terms .... Make I go get popcorn for next season.

Dis gonna be good :mrgreen: :mrgreen: might be time to stay permanently in my Madrid roots and start trolling the new Les Pussies :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
From good sources, Galzidis want Vieira. Some even claim he will be the next man. If true, it is more a political than a football move. Under normal circumstances they will not consider him for the job. Many can see the cynicism of it all, first it is about saving his yansh and trying to unite the fans. It will work in the short term, but Patrick must get results, for this he needs help financially.

The thing is only 2 or 3 weeks ago Wenger publicly endorsed Vieira for the job.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Siddonlook11 wrote:Oh well btw ..Vierra being beaten blue and black by Fernando Ali and the timbers...3-0 now ..

Make we see Vierra ...Enrique seem to be the ones in pole position.
No. Looks like the sources saying this are direct from Galzidis. This is how he operates, he uses secret press briefings to promote club development. To me, my guess is, he has leaked this deliberately to get the fans with sharpen knives off his case. It will do the trick in the short term.

Those horrible songs about his parents will stop in the short term but make no mistake if results are not good, Vieira will be spared, the Americans starting with Galzidis will be in serious trouble with the fans.

There is deep respect and love for Wenger, it was evident yesterday but the fans are not united and there is a lot of unrest at the club fan base. Wenger going has not solved a thing, in fact it has emboldened many who stood aside for the sake of Wenger. Now there no one the fans have respect and love for, anything goes.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Waffiman wrote:All sorts of stories out there about Wenger being pushed or not being pushed. But Wenger himself alluded to the fans and divisions within as one reason.

Personally, I do not think the split is amiable or planned for now, and this is a view shared by almost every Gooner I spoke to today. Many feel he has been double crossed by the Board.

My WhatsApp groups are quite reliable on these things, one especially has been categoric certain Board members wanted Wenger gone last summer and this season. I posted it here a fews months back. The Owner stepped this season when they tried to remove Wenger, two of them offered their resignations then changed their minds.

Same person says recently, the Board, which now included the Owner's son, then put a proposition to the Owner with complaints about fans not turning up and fears for ST renewals. The Board got the Owners word that change will come if we are not in the CL. Wenger was informed by Galzidis and agreed to it, then slept over it, changed his mind and decided to resign thus throwing Galzidis and his plans in a complete mess. He then hastily called a press conference after Wenger's brief statement about his decision to resign.

Whatever it is, it is pointless now. Arsenal must move on and those left in charge must get it right. Arsenal do not have money for mistakes.

Wenger won silverware, the next man must match Wenger or else. From what I saw today, the fans are definitely not united, a man has to come in and start winning to unite the fans or else the civil war will get even more nasty.

One thing I now know is the Wenger haters will hate again. Just wait. It is in their DNA. I can see it already. I can now seat back and watch Galzidis, they are after him and he cannot afford any mistakes. The Emirates today, was nowhere near sweetness and niceness. Wenger was easily the most popular man there and the fans made this known. There were pockets of insults for Galzidis.

The Americans at Arsenal must now deliver and if they think they can do it without spending like the Americans at Liverpool have, expect things to get really foul at the Emirates. Mark my words.
I don't know why you keep saying all these disingenuous and flatly untrue things just because you love Wenger. You were the one that came here last summer after Wenger signed a new two year contract (despite finishing 5th) gloating that the Board caved in to his demands and that he finally has the freedom he wanted. Since then he was given money to buy Lacazette, Mikhi and Aubameyang, re-sign Özil, whilst getting rid of dead weights, so despite what individual members of the Board may think of him you can't claim they (and the fans) didn't back him. You can say he lost their support but saying they didn't back him is grossly unfair. Wenger was one of the most beloved and supported managers in the history of sports...until he wasn't.

Now he's underachieved and instead of holding him accountable you're here trying to reinvent history. The truth is Wenger can go on to actually win the champions league somewhere else...in fact I hope he does but honestly his time at Arsenal was up. When you've been at a job for so long sometimes both parties just need to take a step back and exhale. Even Moses didn't get to see the promised land despite doing all the heavy lifting leading the Israelites out of bondage in Egypt. Wenger's not the first coach to be relieved of his job and he definitely won't be the last. As they say there's only two kinds of coaches, those that have been fired and those that will be fired.

If Wenger is as good as you make him out to be he'll be just fine at his next gig. And if he's set up Arsenal's structure as solidly as you've been claiming then the next coach will do well...unless he's a complete nonce.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Waffiman wrote:All sorts of stories out there about Wenger being pushed or not being pushed. But Wenger himself alluded to the fans and divisions within as one reason.

Main issue remains an absentee majority shareholder, where as at most clubs individual in control of the cub has his pulse on the climate, has his pulse on the POV of everyone in and around the club Silent Stan is on his ranch in Texas. As discussed for years Arsenal waited for too long to put a structure in place for a post AW era, everyone was all good as long as AW locked down 4TH and those CL envelopes ready to deliver to Stan Kroenke come seasons end.

For years this club has known with AW and his POV on football operations winning the PL or CL was impossible, AW remit was CL footy ergo CL money, AW was cognizant of that fact as well. Welp as we all knew once CL qualification became precarious it was not if AW would be moved on but when.

There are no innocent parties, be it Kroenke, Gazidis, AW , the board, among the powers that be for years Arsenal has been on club where the "custodians" place their priorities first. A club where politicking has become the norm.

Unfortunately for AW he made a deal with the devil, when one is only retaining job because majority shareholder looks as you as best man to take care of his investment best believe sooner or later the devil is going to come calling when those envelopes become lighter and lighter.

Problem for Arsenal is now they must own their baggage, the lighting rod for all of Arsenal ills is gone come May. So for both Stan and Josh Kroenke, for Ivan there will be no place to run or hide. Hire wrong manager, piss poor summer windows, fall further behind PL rivals and unlike AW who built decades worth of goodwill equity the masses will be out to eviscerate you.

My advice to Stan and Josh a required PR move is massive sponsorship deal with Walmart which is owned by Stan's wife. We have seen how new PL wages rules where TV money irrelevant, that one can only raise wage expenditure via sponsorship has taken a toll on Arsenal. This is a huge issue among Gooners, it's only been ignored by press as AW has dominated the headlines. Welp after May that will no longer be the case, Walmart coud hand Arsenal a sponsorship deal in excess of 150 MP per year without batting an eye.

So if Stan still opts to play the "Self sufficient" card Arsenal had better win the PL and win it soon otherwise the masses will make the noise around AW job status seems like a sunday morning summer stroll.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'