The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Post by Skylolo »

txj wrote:In many a club, there's a new generation of fans who are in a vocal majority. Many of them, sad to say have no sense of history, or even a deep knowledge of the game. A perfect example being Southampton fans who clamored for the sack of Puel and have now led their club to almost certain relegation...

The reality is that Arsenal was a provincial club in London, with serial 1-0 wins bagged to the arsenal until a wiry Frenchman showed up from, of all places Japan!

In 22 years, the man not only changed the way football is played and players developed in England, but built this provincial club into a global brand. Nobody has ever done this in football.

Sure, we can quibble about tactics and selections, trophies won or lost, but people should learn to pay respect.

You are not a real football fan if you cannot recognize this at this time.

There are football fans, there are trolls....then there are clowns....
Nothing more to add, thanks txj...

This man must be remembered in Arsenal’s history forever, for me that stadium should be named after him.
To God be the glory
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Nkume wrote:How can I get tickets to see Arsene's last home match?
Loyal supporters have free ticket. People who support Wenger fiest before the club have a meeting tonight .So better get your ticket tonight if you are in London.
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

kajifu wrote:
Loyal supporters have free ticket. People who support Wenger fiest before the club have a meeting tonight .So better get your ticket tonight if you are in London.
:???:
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Skylolo wrote:
txj wrote:In many a club, there's a new generation of fans who are in a vocal majority. Many of them, sad to say have no sense of history, or even a deep knowledge of the game. A perfect example being Southampton fans who clamored for the sack of Puel and have now led their club to almost certain relegation...

The reality is that Arsenal was a provincial club in London, with serial 1-0 wins bagged to the arsenal until a wiry Frenchman showed up from, of all places Japan!

In 22 years, the man not only changed the way football is played and players developed in England, but built this provincial club into a global brand. Nobody has ever done this in football.

Sure, we can quibble about tactics and selections, trophies won or lost, but people should learn to pay respect.

Nothing more to add, thanks txj...

This man must be remembered in Arsenal’s history forever, for me that stadium should be named after him.
I have my vote on this.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

My bro. Even me cannot guarantee you a ticket.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

oloye wrote:Much as i am now tempted to dust up my membership card and return to the fold,unfortunately i have gotten used to enjoying the misery which Wenger subjected this club to! Like Arsenal fansTV, the misery of this club has become a welcome relief!

Welcome back..oya dust ya pali o make you follow us employ new coach ( no ba the one wey dey speak engriss here o )
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Waffiman wrote:
Those tickets will be gold. I wish I could be there. I look at Arsene beyond football. I've taken time to read what many many prominent football people have said about this man. He went beyond the football field and touched people's lives in so many ways. Bacary Sagna's tribute touched my heart. Bob Wilson, Jack Wilshere, Alex Iwobi, Robin Van Persie, Cesc...on and on and on. Bein Sports said Ozil could hardly really talk about the man cause he was overcome with emotion.

I would like to be remembered for making people's lives better like this man has done. Better to give him a rose flower while he's alive than lay a bouquet on his grave.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cally wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Those tickets will be gold. I wish I could be there. I look at Arsene beyond football. I've taken time to read what many many prominent football people have said about this man. He went beyond the football field and touched people's lives in so many ways. Bacary Sagna's tribute touched my heart. Bob Wilson, Jack Wilshere, Alex Iwobi, Robin Van Persie, Cesc...on and on and on. Bein Sports said Ozil could hardly really talk about the man cause he was overcome with emotion.

I would like to be remembered for making people's lives better like this man has done. Better to give him a rose flower while he's alive than lay a bouquet on his grave.
Word! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Fellow beloved if we name emirate after Wenger ,will this generate income?Are we not getting paid millions for naming it Emirates?
I think the club can name a stand after him but a stadium nah that will cost the club more money since the naming right of emirate brings money.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Good to see Wenger announce early enough that he will be leaving. This is the leadership we have been waiting for. We thank him for all he has done for the club.
jdizzy
Egg
Egg

Post by jdizzy »

Arsene is retiring so I have decided to return
Niente Ÿ impossibile!
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

Waffiman wrote:
Cally wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Word! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Up next, is a sculpture of this great man at the Emirates. I, for one, simply can’t thank him enough.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Can someone post Bakary Sagna's tribute?
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^^Nice and early, saw the woods for the trees. An old okosisi without doubt, Wenger is legend, myth, folklore and all in between. None can deny the bespectacled Hogwarts graduate lookalike etched his name into the walls of the Hall of Fame, he came, he saw, he conquered, in a way that will never be repeated. At his best, imperial, indomitable, iron, but alas so bright those blinding lights, so full the bag of silver. Much like Mike, time would conjure a Buster Douglas and with that the invincibility would dissipate, dissolve and much like Mike, be disgraced. Time, that most demanding of maidens, that relentless army in full stride and march, owes none favour and offers even less it’s Loyalty.

At one point in time Arsene was akin to a fully evolved bird of prey soaring above a Jurassic Park of 4-4-2s, long balls and chalk soled wingers. Such was the magesty and marvel of the man, those dinosaurs would force themselves to hybridise like the archaeopteryx. Wenger without doubt hastened the transition of the species. Onwardly evolving, those once upon a time dinosaurs became less brawn and more brain, less dippolodoccus sp more octopus and there in lay a cause of the malaise. Perched in his niche, the bird seemingly forgot how to fly. Sadly, the Great innovator of old bows out a champion of yesteryear, bloody nosed and puffy eyed in the here and now. No less a legend, but every bit an embarrassment this season and arguably others.

For the menories, those past and those present, merci, merci beaucoup.
Last edited by Coach on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Ornstein: “Until extremely recently, even some of the most powerful people at the club did not know this was coming. Indeed, there remained a feeling he may see out his contract.“

David Ornstein: “It is my understanding the club were prepared to see how the season concluded and, provided there was not a catastrophe, leave AW in charge until the end of his deal next summer.”
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Heliopolis wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yes, because none of the players saw this coming. And plus, what do you expect them to do in that instance? Start harlem shaking in the locker room?

Wenger leaving is welcome but bittersweet. My one regret is he didn't leave nearly a decade ago when it was already clear then he was out of touch with the modern game. Despite not having the financial firepower of his competitors, Wenger demonstrated his savvy up until the 2007-08 season but has been absolutely useless ever since. Good riddance to him. I blame the club more than anything. No manager and no player should be above scrutiny.
My exact sentiments. Folks are now crying like the man didn't overstay his welcome?

Wonder if they will hire another accountant?

Many sports franchises fire their great coaches because management does realize that the badge/club is bigger than one person.

The greedy owners should have fired him years ago if not that he was balancing their books.

Being mediocre is not Arsenal's portion...

He has played his part, now it is time for someone to play his...

Wenger did not die, he is 'retiring' from a job he was well compensated for...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Ooh puhleeze! :veryangry:

So he grew the club and then what?

Arsenal has been reduced to being Miss Congeniality... the loveable also-rans...

Arsenal is not trying to be the modern-day version of Liverpool where only old folks like you remember when you guys were champions... talking about the good old days. Ask yourself why Liverpool kept firing coaches until they seemingly found the right fit? Even your mancrush Benitez got fired. Was being mediocre good enough for Liverpool? Got to admit not winning the Premier League title and still thinking oneself a big club must be lonely. As they say, misery loves company. Go toast Everton or WestHam.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cellular wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:

Yes, because none of the players saw this coming. And plus, what do you expect them to do in that instance? Start harlem shaking in the locker room?

Wenger leaving is welcome but bittersweet. My one regret is he didn't leave nearly a decade ago when it was already clear then he was out of touch with the modern game. Despite not having the financial firepower of his competitors, Wenger demonstrated his savvy up until the 2007-08 season but has been absolutely useless ever since. Good riddance to him. I blame the club more than anything. No manager and no player should be above scrutiny.
My exact sentiments. Folks are now crying like the man didn't overstay his welcome?

Many sports franchises fire their great coaches because management does realize that the badge/club is bigger than one person.

The greedy owners should have fired him years ago if not that he was balancing their books.

Problem is you don't get it. You never will. :lol: :lol: :lol:

He won a major trophy last May. He got to one final since and in another semi final with the 5th largest budget in the league.

You want to talk money and Owners. When Wenger arrived nobody will pay you £250 for your share. Two weeks ago, two shares sold for £38,500 each.

You want to talk balancing the books. Have you read Arsenal's accounts. Go read the Balance Sheets especially. Do you know Arsenal have made profits in the last two windows? Bit, we must not let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Waffiman wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:

He won a major trophy last May. He got to one final since and in another semi final with the 5th largest budget in the league.

You want to talk money and Owners. When Wenger arrived nobody will pay you £250 for your share. Two weeks ago, two shares sold for £38,500 each.

You want to talk balancing the books. Have you read Arsenal's accounts. Go read the Balance Sheets especially. Do you know Arsenal have made profits in the last two windows? Bit, we must not let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Waffi, I agree, I don't get it.

But I peeped the con years ago... as long as the cash was coming in he was safe. Now, the cash is not going to come in as it was before... the numbers are down. The optics on TV show it. Even around the world, the number of fans wearing Arsenal gear are down. You can tell me all your inside gist but the optics is what it is... I might not know how to define pornography but I can tell you one when I see one...

He was fired/retired/letgo 3 years too late.

There's an arms race in the EPL and he has passed his sell-by date.

I know in your next accountants association meeting you guys will be in mourning... you can erect a statue for him or rename a trophy for a club who balances their books every year, remains somewhat competitive and is able to fool their fans into thinking they are trying but at the end don't win a meaningful trophy big clubs should be aiming to win.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Cellular wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:

But I peeped the con years ago... as long as the cash was coming in he was safe. Now, the cash is not going to come in as it was before... the numbers are down. The optics on TV show it. Even around the world, the number of fans wearing Arsenal gear are down. You can tell me all your inside gist but the optics is what it is... I might not know how to define pornography but I can tell you one when I see one...

I know in your next accountants association meeting you guys will be in mourning... you can erect a statue for him or rename a trophy for a club who balances their books every year, remains somewhat competitive and is able to fool their fans into thinking they are trying but at the end don't win a meaningful trophy big clubs should be aiming to win.
Chai, see what Wenger turned many "former" Arsenal loyalists to :D

Oga chief Cellular, so will you return to the fold when Arsenal get better coach ? :sneaky:
Oga Oloye, I am also looking at you :taunt:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cellular wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:

According to that most reliable of Arsenal sources - David Ornstein, the Board did not want him gone. This confirms beIN's Sport's earlier reports. This is what you don't get. Kroenke's best interest is with Wenger and he always delivered financially. He was never going to leg him go, at least according to David Ornstein.

To me, the Board and Owner are businessmen but they also know their best bet was with him. Kroenke just paid £38,500 per share, he bought his first shares for £8,000. He does not mess with Wenger.

You watch Arsenal's value drop now he is going and collapse if things go bad next season. Kroenke will sell up and go in the next 3 years if things do not go well. Things will go bad no matter who comes in if Kroenke does not put money in and stops taking money out of the club.

Finally, Arsenal inability to compete is not down to Wenger only. I heard on BBC radio 5 live today of how Roman Abramovich changed the game. Wenger, who fought for players financially now could not compete. Vieira would have joined City if he was at Arsenal presently, so would many of his team mates. Not Wenger's fault.

Wenger left the club in far better shape than when he took over. Now let's see the magician that will win the CL and EPL on the same budget.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

“A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.”