The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Post by kajifu »

tolahs wrote:
kajifu wrote:Who are we playing on Wednesday?

Wednesday 13th December:Premier League: West Ham United 20:00 (A)
Saturday 16th December:Premier League: Newcastle United 15:00 (H)

*Tuesday 19th December:EFL Cup Quarter-Final West Ham United 19:45 (H)

Friday 22nd December: Premier League - Liverpool 19:45 (H)
Thursday 28th December:Premier League - Crystal Palace 20:00 (A)
Sunday 31st December:Premier League - West Bromwich Albion 16:30 (A)

We've W.H. - PL(13th) & League Cup(19th) - The Europa cup players will be important for the 19th cos we've Liverpool 3days later - they don't play for 5 or 6 days b4 - WH though are in a relegation battle.

p/s:A Ramsey - Hamstring Injury
Thanks we must win both games as i see city drop points some how either against Spurs
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Again, I did not expect Arsenal to stroll past Southampton. They are a very good side, and I was afraid before this game. Waffi, I'm glad you noticed Alexis. He's not playing with real commitment right now, and its clear to see. All that rubbish about him not wanting to stay cause of mediocrity among his mates is bunkum.

He should move on and let The Arsenal find a replacement quickly enough.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Waffiman wrote:Given recent results at the Saints, this was not a bad result. I do not agree with the doom and gloom merchants. I put this game plus Leicester and West Ham Away as our toughest out of the top 6. Getting a point after an average performance was not bad.

We are in the race for 2nd, with Sanchez being hopeless and non committed again in application and overall performance, I ask when are we going to be rid of him? He gave away the ball 32 times today, just 2 short of his record in the ManU game before. Sanchez, is a top player but he is not doing it at present. I will not miss him when he is gone. Bellerin needs to be dropped, he has been poor for too many games since last season.

When we needed momentum we lost Ramsey and had to play out the last 10 minutes plus extra time with 10 men cos we had used all subs. Given the circumstances, it was not a bad result in my opinion.

Wenger knows games are coming thick and fast, our home record is key but we must improve away from home. We have the game, system and tactics, but we need all players concentrating for 90 minutes. In the modern game, you do not get away with giving up the first goal like we once did with the type of players we can afford. The stats are there, even though we have the best record coming
from behind in the league this season, our record when we score first is far more impressive.

Unfortunately for us, we just cannot keep a stable unit of defenders, our best defensive combo of Mustafi, Kos and Monreal have conceded the least goals (2) but we need them playing more times together. With Ramsey being out, I wonder who plays against West Ham. Does he change it, making Xhaka play a DM role as opposed to box to box CM role, with Wilshere as his partner? Or does he play both as box to box CMs? Like he has done with Xhaka and Ramsey?
Our midfield off the ball is also a major weakness Waffi. The way the opposition breezes past our midfield right into the heart of our defenders has been an issue for years. So often our CB's are left outnumbered due to our midfield being slow to lock in mentally and physically. Lack of communication off the ball still a major issue for Arsenal, watch the games where Arsenal defend well i.e @ Chelsea, @ Burnley, Spurs and there is clear focus on communication between Cech and CB's, between CB's and wing backs, between CB's and midfield. Contrast that to games where Arsenal are in full blown snooze mode i.e 1st half at Southampton, 2nd half @ Stoke, 2nd half @ Watford, @ Liverpool..it's total radio silence.

I just don't get why this remains an issue in December. FFS TALK!!!! Why are the Arsenal still cherry picking which opponent merits a locked in solid 90 minute effort? We know how winning away in the PL works, lock in defensively, weather the storm and sooner or later nick 1-0 or 2-0 victory against a dogged adversary.

Back in early days of Emirates one understood naive lapses due to inexperience but the last 4 seasons this is a squad laden with experience at every level, in every situation, yet still they act like part time workers.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Arsenal draw Ostersunds (Norway) in Europa League!

Nice, CSKA Moscow, Burrusia Dortmon, Atlanta. 2 will fall in the next round.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/we-will-fa ... opa-league

https://www.arsenal.com/news/find-out-m ... ersunds-fk
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Cally wrote:Again, I did not expect Arsenal to stroll past Southampton. They are a very good side, and I was afraid before this game. Waffi, I'm glad you noticed Alexis. He's not playing with real commitment right now, and its clear to see. All that rubbish about him not wanting to stay cause of mediocrity among his mates is bunkum.

KPOM KWEM! Nothing more to add. My eyes have opened on Sanchez and bobo is not all in. If he wants to go, he can go...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

There goes Lord Waffi walking bare feet thru the London snow & as per usual giving an unconvincing narrative to what is our mess. But what should one expect off one of those Prawn sandwich brigade?
AW's recent great coaching credentials were shown in the tactical changes he kept making thru the ManU match & how early he made them - it also showed we lack a true leader on the pitch - one who could take his instructions from the sidelines & pass them on to the team(instead of HT instructions).
Alan Shearer was right in his MOTD comments - Titi alludes to it frequently enough - we've gone off respecting the DM position even when the backline is weakened. On Hector, i've been calling for competition - i don't think Debuchy can hack it at the highest levels of the EPL - Hector is not been drilled on defense enough - too easy to talk about ManC $$ but those guys with far less rest than our 1st team typically cover more distance & recover the ball way quicker.
If Alexis goes there, watch dude obey instructions or get dropped - yep, meritocracy!!!!
Waffi who cashed so much Chegues after the Spurs win - we could've built new bridges & a space station on Mars now pleads money for the poor whan our intensity levels betray us - prawn sandwich brigade- different values.
When you put Alexis's atrocious turnover nos outthere - you also show that the greatest underminer of meritocracy is the lack of consequences
internally for bad performances. AW is as good as scared to sub or bench players on their way out cos they're stars.
ManC for a few seasons have been bigspenders - Pep is a non-backside kisser of reputations - his belief in hard relevant graft is also obvious -
he has turned a team of mercenaries into a proud bunch.
AW has given our 1st team more rest than most Euro-teams will get in the Winter break yet we've underperformed. I tend to agree with someone(Shaka Hislop) i'd ignored for a longtime when he says we lack focus.
Our intensity levels(or lack of) at the beginning of our last 2matches have been huge.
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

EXACTLY Kajifu.
The new excuse of the season is: Pep has spent more money than Wenger in his whole life.
Like I said before, with Arsenal fans, there is always an excuse. ALWAYS. We are 1 point ahead of Burnley. How much money did they spend?
The same lineup every week. Every week. Regardless if we lose, win, draw, ... There is NO consequences to bad performances.
Bepanda
kajifu wrote:@Bepanda no mind some fans here,
Arsenal is 17 points behind City already with 16 games gone.If this team was well coach and manage we should have pick points against Stoke,Watford,Manu,,Liverpool etc.Did our lost to Watford,Stoke,Liverpool and Manu etc got anything to do with money spend?
We are the most rested teams in the top 6 yet we look the most tired team.
Chelsea won the league and some say its because they had no European football.We are playing B team not first team in Europe yet we look clueless most part with fresh legs yet some wanted to bring money as the main reason we have not won.
Give Wenger City money he will still buy likes of Xhaka and Mustafi etc
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Robbynice wrote:
Cally wrote:Again, I did not expect Arsenal to stroll past Southampton. They are a very good side, and I was afraid before this game. Waffi, I'm glad you noticed Alexis. He's not playing with real commitment right now, and its clear to see. All that rubbish about him not wanting to stay cause of mediocrity among his mates is bunkum.

KPOM KWEM! Nothing more to add. My eyes have opened on Sanchez and bobo is not all in. If he wants to go, he can go...
This is the issue i have with fans like you :scared: The bobo wanted to go what did Wenger do refused him to go.Did Wenger improved the team by keeping him?Is he the only player that has been poor and starting games?
Why is Wenger not benching him when he is been poor?Must he start games?So how can Wenger make him know that he has been poor if not seeing the bench?Is he the only player that has been poor ?What of Uncle Aniks son Belle?He has no reason to be starting but he do every day after every bad performance.What of Xhaka that has been poor?
Also as poor as Sanchez has been he was the one with the assist that gave us a point at Saint.KOS been poor also alot of poor performance and you guys choose to pick Sanchez because he dont want to be at the club.
I blame Wenger for accepting those poor performance as a standard.Mert was so bad yesterday that he give a way a very poor goal,our keeper has been average and poor,watch the goal and see how he try to hide.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

Pep's habit of making tactical switches as required is something i strongly admire - wish we'd that - it shows very thorough prep for games.
That requires intensity & focus.

Gd piece:

-------------------------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw1oMFqtu0c
Arsenal vs ManU

Couldn't we have made the tactical change described from 6:33 B4 HT????
I just wish AW would tactically engage more & earlier in games - I also think our CBs are getting engaged in more one-on-ones w/o support too often
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

bepanda wrote:EXACTLY Kajifu.
The new excuse of the season is: Pep has spent more money than Wenger in his whole life.
Like I said before, with Arsenal fans, there is always an excuse. ALWAYS. We are 1 point ahead of Burnley. How much money did they spend?
The same lineup every week. Every week. Regardless if we lose, win, draw, ... There is NO consequences to bad performances.
Bepanda
kajifu wrote:@Bepanda no mind some fans here,
Arsenal is 17 points behind City already with 16 games gone.If this team was well coach and manage we should have pick points against Stoke,Watford,Manu,,Liverpool etc.Did our lost to Watford,Stoke,Liverpool and Manu etc got anything to do with money spend?
We are the most rested teams in the top 6 yet we look the most tired team.
Chelsea won the league and some say its because they had no European football.We are playing B team not first team in Europe yet we look clueless most part with fresh legs yet some wanted to bring money as the main reason we have not won.
Give Wenger City money he will still buy likes of Xhaka and Mustafi etc
:clap: :clap: When Leicester win the league it was that it happen once in a life time,so i ask when will Arsenal win the league since moving to emirate?I guess the money miss road were not around when Leicester win the league since that is the silly excuse they
keep defending that failure of a coach.
Burnley also have spend crazy money that is why they are doing fine and a point behind us,so did we spend almost same like Burnley?
Why is Wenger keep playing players every game after bad performance?So what will be Arsenal excuse now if we dont finish second as some are sure we will?Oh i forget Chelsea and Manu and Liverpool have spend more than us that is why they finish above us...
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

tolahs wrote:Pep's habit of making tactical switches as required is something i strongly admire - wish we'd that - it shows very thorough prep for games.
That requires intensity & focus.

Gd piece:

-------------------------------------

Arsenal vs ManU

Couldn't we have made the tactical change described from 6:33 B4 HT????
I just wish AW would tactically engage more & earlier in games - I also think our CBs are getting engaged in more one-on-ones w/o support too often
Wenger selling date is over,doing same mistake every day.How many times have Wenger bench underforming players?
How long it take Wenger to come to terms that COQ and Walcott not good enought to start?What of Giroud that was leading the line with no competition for how long and little help?Tell me one City player that can underform day in day out and keep starting?
Why is the team not playing like they did against Chelsea and Spurs this season?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Given recent results at the Saints, this was not a bad result. I do not agree with the doom and gloom merchants. I put this game plus Leicester and West Ham Away as our toughest out of the top 6. Getting a point after an average performance was not bad.

We are in the race for 2nd, with Sanchez being hopeless and non committed again in application and overall performance, I ask when are we going to be rid of him? He gave away the ball 32 times today, just 2 short of his record in the ManU game before. Sanchez, is a top player but he is not doing it at present. I will not miss him when he is gone. Bellerin needs to be dropped, he has been poor for too many games since last season.

When we needed momentum we lost Ramsey and had to play out the last 10 minutes plus extra time with 10 men cos we had used all subs. Given the circumstances, it was not a bad result in my opinion.

Wenger knows games are coming thick and fast, our home record is key but we must improve away from home. We have the game, system and tactics, but we need all players concentrating for 90 minutes. In the modern game, you do not get away with giving up the first goal like we once did with the type of players we can afford. The stats are there, even though we have the best record coming
from behind in the league this season, our record when we score first is far more impressive.

Unfortunately for us, we just cannot keep a stable unit of defenders, our best defensive combo of Mustafi, Kos and Monreal have conceded the least goals (2) but we need them playing more times together. With Ramsey being out, I wonder who plays against West Ham. Does he change it, making Xhaka play a DM role as opposed to box to box CM role, with Wilshere as his partner? Or does he play both as box to box CMs? Like he has done with Xhaka and Ramsey?
Our midfield off the ball is also a major weakness Waffi. The way the opposition breezes past our midfield right into the heart of our defenders has been an issue for years. So often our CB's are left outnumbered due to our midfield being slow to lock in mentally and physically. Lack of communication off the ball still a major issue for Arsenal, watch the games where Arsenal defend well i.e @ Chelsea, @ Burnley, Spurs and there is clear focus on communication between Cech and CB's, between CB's and wing backs, between CB's and midfield. Contrast that to games where Arsenal are in full blown snooze mode i.e 1st half at Southampton, 2nd half @ Stoke, 2nd half @ Watford, @ Liverpool..it's total radio silence.

I just don't get why this remains an issue in December. FFS TALK!!!! Why are the Arsenal still cherry picking which opponent merits a locked in solid 90 minute effort? We know how winning away in the PL works, lock in defensively, weather the storm and sooner or later nick 1-0 or 2-0 victory against a dogged adversary.

Back in early days of Emirates one understood naive lapses due to inexperience but the last 4 seasons this is a squad laden with experience at every level, in every situation, yet still they act like part time workers.
I do not disagree with your points. It is becoming clear the team will be broken up. Some rumours around suggests the club is already in the process of building a new team.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

I do not disagree with your points. It is becoming clear the team will be broken up. Some rumours around suggests the club is already in the process of building a new team.
Have said it severally on these pages, the pitch discipline of Xhaka and Ramsey is key to how we pan out this season. Once again after the match against Spuds, they have both abandon the discipline to displayed in that match. Against Southampton, there was a point where by both Ramsey and Xhaka were in Southampton 18. I was like WHAT? That was even when Pers was still on the pitch.
I pray in January, AW buys a proper CM who's defensive conscious and has pitch discipline.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

Wow building a new team?Hahaha disgraceful if the club can't see what is wrong with this team.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

azuka wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

Have said it severally on these pages, the pitch discipline of Xhaka and Ramsey is key to how we pan out this season. Once again after the match against Spuds, they have both abandon the discipline to displayed in that match. Against Southampton, there was a point where by both Ramsey and Xhaka were in Southampton 18. I was like WHAT? That was even when Pers was still on the pitch.
I pray in January, AW buys a proper CM who's defensive conscious and has pitch discipline.
There's a reason I've said Arsene needs to take a look at Ndidi.

The way Arsenal plays in the attack phase, the transition to the defense phase leaves a lot to be desired. This isn't merely a function of the individual which is why I think blaming Ramsey or Xhaka is incredibly harsh. It's clear that they've been given the leeway to press forward by the coach. It's a structural flaw of Wenger teams. It means that a player who will do the job well for Arene Wenger has to have three qualities (3 way midfielder), he has to be proficient in attack, he has to be able to transition midfield to attack smartly (i.e. that first ball out that changes the flow from defending to attacking) has to be perfect, and third he has to be excellent at shielding the back four or three. This is where Ngolo Kante is such a gem because he excels at all three phases.
Wenger insists on his system but brings players who invariably struggle because they're excellent in maybe 2 of those three qualities and don't have a partner in CM who shields the missing third quality. So Xhaka and Ramsey both have one or maybe two of the 3 qualities I mentioned and the missing third isnt something either man possesses which spells trouble. Cazorla was excellent at two of those which is why when paired with a hacker like Coq, it made for a strong midfield.

Arsenal needed to attack versus So'ton but as you rightly point out, the midfield integrity was shot. Both CM's in the box with no cover for the CBs? A better team would have punished Arsenal well.

The issue comes from the coach and his preference. If and when Wenger sets his teams up with the safety first objective, they can play that style with the best. Guys like Mertesacker can actually look competent. It's just not something Arsene likes. You have to admire his commitment to a certain style of play. It's just that sometimes....many times, it means square pegs in round holes, and while it can be successful to a certain degree, I'd argue that it doesn't maximize the potential of his teams when all the perfect players are not in their perfect positions.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

platinum wrote:
azuka wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

The way Arsenal plays in the attack phase, the transition to the defense phase leaves a lot to be desired. This isn't merely a function of the individual which is why I think blaming Ramsey or Xhaka is incredibly harsh. It's clear that they've been given the leeway to press forward by the coach. It's a structural flaw of Wenger teams. It means that a player who will do the job well for Arene Wenger has to have three qualities (3 way midfielder), he has to be proficient in attack, he has to be able to transition midfield to attack smartly (i.e. that first ball out that changes the flow from defending to attacking) has to be perfect, and third he has to be excellent at shielding the back four or three. This is where Ngolo Kante is such a gem because he excels at all three phases.
Wenger insists on his system but brings players who invariably struggle because they're excellent in maybe 2 of those three qualities and don't have a partner in CM who shields the missing third quality. So Xhaka and Ramsey both have one or maybe two of the 3 qualities I mentioned and the missing third isnt something either man possesses which spells trouble. Cazorla was excellent at two of those which is why when paired with a hacker like Coq, it made for a strong midfield.

Arsenal needed to attack versus So'ton but as you rightly point out, the midfield integrity was shot. Both CM's in the box with no cover for the CBs? A better team would have punished Arsenal well.

The issue comes from the coach and his preference. If and when Wenger sets his teams up with the safety first objective, they can play that style with the best. Guys like Mertesacker can actually look competent. It's just not something Arsene likes. You have to admire his commitment to a certain style of play. It's just that sometimes....many times, it means square pegs in round holes, and while it can be successful to a certain degree, I'd argue that it doesn't maximize the potential of his teams when all the perfect players are not in their perfect positions.
I see your point. But i doubt if AW instructed both of them that they go forward at the same time. We've seen them play with discipline before which means if one goes forward the other stays back. Like in the Chelsea and Spuds matches. So it's basically they get carried away once on the pitch and forget their basic task.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

platinum wrote:
azuka wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

Please...no Ndidi. The current Wenger will turn him to a Coquelin. Ndidi doesn't need that. Let the man go and get another French Kante, or manage his Xhaka-Ramsey-Coq-ElNeney. Wenger should not destroy Naija players.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Gunzilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Gunzilla »

Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

Lmaooo :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: ...welcome to the last 8 years :rotf: :rotf: Shebi AW does not do DM ? or CDM ? Or whatever name you want to call it when shifting goal posts as ever...loll
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Oga Plat thanks for well explain facts about the game of beloved.
As for Ndidi Wenger will waste his talent,did not Elneny was similar to him?Where is he today?Wenger will bench him for his high purchase players.Wenger has his style and he only try to change it when the going get tough.
Ndidi should be thinking of a bigger club that want to win major trophies not this Wenger rubbish.Uncle Mike want to take him to Monaco and Liverpool is looking at him.
Arsenal #1issue is the manager Wenger,you give him this city team he will make them more weak with his approach
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

azuka wrote:
platinum wrote:
azuka wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

I see your point. But i doubt if AW instructed both of them that they go forward at the same time. We've seen them play with discipline before which means if one goes forward the other stays back. Like in the Chelsea and Spuds matches. So it's basically they get carried away once on the pitch and forget their basic task.
I'm sure Wenger didn't instruct them both to bomb forward and leave the defense compromised but when you play two guys with the strengths those two have together and your setup encourages them to attack, that's exactly what happens.

Now if he'd pulled the midfield and defense deep so that the game was predicated on a defense-first option like in those games you mentioned when you've seen those two play well, it'd be another story.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

kajifu wrote:Oga Plat thanks for well explain facts about the game of beloved.
As for Ndidi Wenger will waste his talent,did not Elneny was similar to him?Where is he today?Wenger will bench him for his high purchase players.Wenger has his style and he only try to change it when the going get tough.
Ndidi should be thinking of a bigger club that want to win major trophies not this Wenger rubbish.Uncle Mike want to take him to Monaco and Liverpool is looking at him.
Arsenal #1issue is the manager Wenger,you give him this city team he will make them more weak with his approach
Elneny's first ball out of defense can be excellent sometimes. At other times, it can be shaky. His ability to play as just a destroyer/ballwinner isn't at the same level as our SE star. Ndidi wins balls like no one else. Even Kante. Attack wise, Elneny is average, nothing spectacular. If you've seen his games lately (the ones he's played, you will have noticed he can be frustrating too with possession and even without). As a sum, he is a decent player, good player but in an Arsenal midfield where you have to cover for the defense and help the attack, I don't know that he's shown enough which is likely why he doesn't play.

Mind you, the combination of Elneny and someone else could do the trick but the reason I speak of Ndidi is he's a player who does the 3 things at an above average to excellent level. The kind who can change the dynamic of a midfield while covering the lapses of his partner(s).
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

kajifu wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

Wow building a new team?Hahaha disgraceful if the club can't see what is wrong with this team.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

azuka wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

In his pre-season breakdown special on Arsenal.com, Adrian Clarke (Fully badged UEFA coach and ex Arsenal player)noted how losing possession cheaply in deep areas was a chief concern.

Against Liverpool, City, ManU and Southampton this season, we have conceded 11 goals more than half of them as a result of giving the ball away in our own half and they have costs us points. We also gave up 3 goals against Huddersfield and Leicester for the same mistakes but got away with it.

Don't say to me this has not been looked at, worked on and discussed amongst the Coaching Staff. The intangibles, like mental strength and lack of leadership etc are quickly banded out, but I think the truth is, the technical level is just lower than it needs to be. The loss of Arteta and Cazorla (especially) is felt, cos we do not have any with their ability to deal with the press and pass under pressure.

We get a very easy ride on our passing, because it is just assumed that Wenger sides pass the ball well at the expense of all else. But teams have sussed this out knowing that we lack a technical leader in that midfield and in defence. Monreal is effectively the best passer under pressure cos he is least likely to make a mistake under pressure.

For me, the issues are far more technical than these intangibles lazily banded about. Honestly, I believe it is often just lazy thinking to assign our issues to unproven mental tropes. The patterns in our flaws are entirely technical and maybe a little physical too.

Go analyse all these goals abd see what options were available when the ball was given away. Midfield movement is not what it was when Cazorla was running things. Santi will ask for the ball even if he had 2 men on him. He picked out the Widebacks with ease and with opposition stretched, we quickly reversed it back inside to exploit the spaces the width in our play has created. Now it is often hard to pick out the Widebacks and teams defend easier.

Go see how many times that ball to the Wideback is intercepted this season cos the build up is slow and predictable. Astute Analysts and Managers of other teams spot potential weaknesses and come up with ways to exploit them. The early high press by opponents in our defensive third is a feature causing errors and goals this season.

What is annoying is we have self destruct too often over situations we are in control of. Too many long passes across, when a short pass is needed. A gambled pass chosen over a safe out ball to the opponents half. The good thing is, it can be sorted out like we sorted out our set piece defending and became 1st and 2nd in goals conceded from set piece in the last 2 seasons. There will also be changes to the team.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.