The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Post by Waffiman »

tolahs wrote:One Basque over another. There'll be a lot of noise about his Sevilla achievements but capitulation of PSG to Barca & loss in a different yr to Real Madrid have come to define Unai Emery. PSG lacked mentality & discipline - how does he restore those qualities to Arsenal!!!
Cold feet by Gazidis & the board in the last hrs tells me it's all about the Optics - really hope I am wrong.
Nope. Arteta and Vieira did not want the job. Not cold feet.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

Can someone please start a new season thread? Abi dis season neva end?
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Skylolo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Cally wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Cally wrote:
Cito wrote:
platinum wrote:Club confirms Cazorla is moving on.

A solid hat tip to an extremely gifted player.
Sad it has to be this way. One of my favorite players to watch. Goodluck in his future endeavors.
I am deeply saddened. To me, one of the very best players i've been opportuned to watch play the game. I will be following him and supporting him everywhere he goes for the rest of his career.

God bless you, Santi.
Word! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Waffi, thoughts on Emery?
The low down to all of this is, both Vieira and Arteta backed out due to how little say they have in team affairs. Rumours are, the team are very disappointed in Arteta cos he upped his demands and played hard ball when they thought it was all done.

Chief Exe Ivan Gazidis, head of recruitment Sven Mislintat and head of football relations Raul Sanllehi will be making all the big decisions in the future at Arsenal. They need a 'Yes Man' at best or a Committe man at worst. They got the former.

Henry made a pitch for the job, but was not considered.

Unai Emery was the only candidate left ready to work with the team on their terms.

He is used to working under such conditions, he did it at Sevilla, where he was under the best 'Director of football' currently in the game - Monchi, he was very successful there. Monchi since moved on to Roma.

Did alright at PSG, but was undermined by the big players. They called him, 'little puppet'. He will be a puppet at Arsenal, let's not BS about that, but I don't think he will be a little one. I think he will be a big strong one.

But he is a brilliant Coach and I respect him. I take him over Arteta. I am also more optimistic under him.

This leaves Steve Bould, wanted to leave cos he has offers, if Arteta or Vieira got the job. Arsenal refused to rekease him from his contract until the new Coaching position eas sorted. I think he will stay if Unai Emery gets the job.
Hi both,

Now the club have my attention again, Emery can carry forward a lot of the values die hard Wenger fans like myself value so much.
He is a proven winner as well.
On this we both can have a toast to. :agree: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I did not mind Arteta as well cos he too would have carried on Wenger's works but Emery is a far better option cos of his record.

Galzidis and co have landed on their feet with this, if there are no hitches, and he is appointed.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Let’s follow the timeline of Waffi so called inner caucus info and his sudden backtracking now :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: you can’t make this shyt up :taunt:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:Arteta is are coming. Rumours! :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Arteta captained us to our first trophy in 9 years. He took a pay cut to join Arsenal, and helped see us through one of our most difficult periods on and off the field. Maybe he would do the same as head coach post Wenger.

He would not be my first choice, but to me, all indications are, he was always the man. If and when appointed he will have my wholehearted support.

:rotf:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

The more things change the more they stay the same with Waffi .... :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: Oya next thing we go dey wait for that 30milliom swap deal for Alexis Sanchez :rotf:

MLK.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

anikulapo wrote:Let’s follow the timeline of Waffi so called inner caucus info and his sudden backtracking now :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: you can’t make this shyt up :taunt:
Comprehension deficit. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am not back tracking cos I never said Arteta was appointed. In fact there is nothing I have written here that has not been said. Now you have all sorts of stories as to why Arteta did not get the job.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

SkySports reports that Arteta withdrew himself from the race when he was not given the assurances he wanted. Arsenal maintain that no one turned them down and the thorough procees resulted in selecting one candidate: Emery.

A good source just revealed Wenger was at London Cooney today. If true Why was he there? Did they ask him to be a part of this decision? Many suspect, he had a say in the final decision.
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

Waffiman wrote:
tolahs wrote:One Basque over another. There'll be a lot of noise about his Sevilla achievements but capitulation of PSG to Barca & loss in a different yr to Real Madrid have come to define Unai Emery. PSG lacked mentality & discipline - how does he restore those qualities to Arsenal!!!
Cold feet by Gazidis & the board in the last hrs tells me it's all about the Optics - really hope I am wrong.

PSG recent failures do not define Emery for me, a few have tried before him and failed to win the CL. It is hard to argue that he did not get the most from PSG's players, how many other managers got more of out PSG? I also feel PSG’s football has been the best under him, in terms of style....

His work at Sevilla is what defines him for me, he showed he could build and get the best from a good set of players. I have wanted him at Arsenal ever since tbh....it is a big job at Arsenal rebuilding this team and uniting this fan base we need a proper Coach, who has positive charisma too....I have always felt Emery is our guy.
To God be the glory
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Skylolo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

PSG recent failures do not define Emery for me, a few have tried before him and failed to win the CL. It is hard to argue that he did not get the most from PSG's players, how many other managers got more of out PSG? I also feel PSG’s football has been the best under him, in terms of style....

His work at Sevilla is what defines him for me, he showed he could build and get the best from a good set of players. I have wanted him at Arsenal ever since tbh....it is a big job at Arsenal rebuilding this team and uniting this fan base we need a proper Coach, who has positive charisma too....I have always felt Emery is our guy.
I concur. :clap: :clap: :clap:

He did not fail at PSG to be fair.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Have seen bayern just opt for kovac, barca valverde, Madrid Zidane, Dortmund favre and yet many gooners acting like whine snobs that arsenal landed Emery... :roll: :roll: :roll:

So many Gooners with 0 self awareness. messiah era of manager over. Now about the hierarchy CEO, dof, scouts, coaches & manager. Success or failure will come collectively..stop looking for villains.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:Have seen bayern just opt for kovac, barca valverde, Madrid Zidane, Dortmund favre and yet many gooners acting like whine snobs that arsenal landed Emery... :roll: :roll: :roll:

So many Gooners with 0 self awareness. messiah era of manager over. Now about the hierarchy CEO, dof, scouts, coaches & manager. Success or failure will come collectively..stop looking for villains.

Are you minding deluded folks?
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

Waffiman wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

So y'all opt to be Ray Charles to the capitulation that happened vs Barca - then again losing to Real Madrid from a strong position - chei!!! That is Trump's approach. He couldn't control the players @PSG - to overlook that - sure barely a yr in Russia - common people.
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Waffiman wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

He failed at PSG, that's why he's no longer coaching them. Just like Pep failed at FC Bayern.
Those sides have a different level of expectation from Arsenal and he failed to do what he was brought in to do.

Those failures doesn't mean the men are not good coaches.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Waffiman wrote:SkySports reports that Arteta withdrew himself from the race when he was not given the assurances he wanted. Arsenal maintain that no one turned them down and the thorough procees resulted in selecting one candidate: Emery.

A good source just revealed Wenger was at London Cooney today. If true Why was he there? Did they ask him to be a part of this decision? Many suspect, he had a say in the final decision.
They say the Prof cleared his desk today.
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

platinum wrote:
Cally wrote:I thought that these guys would have had a clue on who to replace Wenger with before letting him go like that.

Anyways, I will support Emery, like I would have supported Arteta. Rumors say Arteta rejected the job due to lack of control over transfers. Does that mean Emery accepted those terms? If so, I wonder for him o!

Emery just got done working under similar conditions at PSG....even worse considering he had to deal with Neymar.
He's a good coach, the things that bother me about him are more mental things. With him, one day his side can build a 4-0 first leg lead, then throw it away the next by inexplicably losing 6-1...that tie was the very epitome of what can happen with Emery. He is a GOOD coach, you just have to know what you're getting.

I'm choosing to say this now so that later, some will not cry like they're crying about Ozil i.e. crying about buying something that isn't exactly as you expected it to be.

If Arsenal lets him focus on the football side, great football will be back on the menu but I am not sure he's the guy to break Pep Guardiola.....his Sevilla sides played superb football but barca or Real always won....richer sides.
The good thing about him though, is that he does spend more time analyzing the opponent than somebody like Wenger who believed in focusing on your own qualities. He is known for compiling videos for each of his players before games so that they know all they need to know about their next opponents. The downside to that there might be information overload which was what resulted in him having beef with neymar at PSG.

Some funny incident between him and Jeremy Mathieu
Emery gave each player his own pen drive with images and information on the men they would be facing. He suspected that one player was not bothering to do his “homework” – he will not say who it was but it was not Joaquín – so one week he gave him a blank pen drive. “‘Did you see it?’ ‘Yes, don’t worry boss’. And it was empty.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... unai-emery
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

tolahs wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

So y'all opt to be Ray Charles to the capitulation that happened vs Barca - then again losing to Real Madrid from a strong position - chei!!! That is Trump's approach. He couldn't control the players @PSG - to overlook that - sure barely a yr in Russia - common people.

I think everyone but waffi knows he failed....skylolo called it what it was. I can go back and pull the threads from that 6-1 game, that game was 100% on Unai Emery. In that game, he showed a trait he's shown several times in the past in Spain. Every coach will have positives and negatives, his is he can be overly cautious when there's zero need to be. (i guess going from Wenger who was rarely cautious to Emery isnt bad in that regard but at some point.....it bites like that with him)

He couldn't control one guy. Neymar. The one who the owner gave the power and authority to undermine the coach, I'd put that more on the Qataris than on Emery.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

platinum wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

He failed at PSG, that's why he's no longer coaching them. Just like Pep failed at FC Bayern.
Those sides have a different level of expectation from Arsenal and he failed to do what he was brought in to do.

Those failures doesn't mean the men are not good coaches.
I guess you see winning as failure. I don't.

Winning the CL, a glorified Cup competition does not define the meaning of success to me. Winning the league and becoming a Champion is the true definition of success by anyone's standards in football. I don't buy this CL crap as the meaning of success. I am old school and know what the values of the game are, not hype.

Also, winning anything is success because it takes a lot to win in this game. It should never be sneered at. If winning was so easy, why do financially doped clubs do all that spending?

Besides, I take it Pep is a failure in England cos he has not won the CL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

platinum wrote:
tolahs wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

I think everyone but waffi knows he failed....skylolo called it what it was. I can go back and pull the threads from that 6-1 game, that game was 100% on Unai Emery. In that game, he showed a trait he's shown several times in the past in Spain. Every coach will have positives and negatives, his is he can be overly cautious when there's zero need to be. (i guess going from Wenger who was rarely cautious to Emery isnt bad in that regard but at some point.....it bites like that with him)

He couldn't control one guy. Neymar. The one who the owner gave the power and authority to undermine the coach, I'd put that more on the Qataris than on Emery.
Your opinion is now everyone's opinion. Don't worry, I'd be the only one. That's what I love nd most comfortable with. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Just watched a PSG game. He is okay. Will give him a chance. He is not Wenger. More enthusiastic on the side line. His team tend to play faster than Wenger team. Only time will tell if he will succeed at Arsenal. He can't do it alone. He will need the support of the board and fans.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

bk-one wrote:
platinum wrote:
Cally wrote:I thought that these guys would have had a clue on who to replace Wenger with before letting him go like that.

Anyways, I will support Emery, like I would have supported Arteta. Rumors say Arteta rejected the job due to lack of control over transfers. Does that mean Emery accepted those terms? If so, I wonder for him o!

Emery just got done working under similar conditions at PSG....even worse considering he had to deal with Neymar.
He's a good coach, the things that bother me about him are more mental things. With him, one day his side can build a 4-0 first leg lead, then throw it away the next by inexplicably losing 6-1...that tie was the very epitome of what can happen with Emery. He is a GOOD coach, you just have to know what you're getting.

I'm choosing to say this now so that later, some will not cry like they're crying about Ozil i.e. crying about buying something that isn't exactly as you expected it to be.

If Arsenal lets him focus on the football side, great football will be back on the menu but I am not sure he's the guy to break Pep Guardiola.....his Sevilla sides played superb football but barca or Real always won....richer sides.
The good thing about him though, is that he does spend more time analyzing the opponent than somebody like Wenger who believed in focusing on your own qualities. He is known for compiling videos for each of his players before games so that they know all they need to know about their next opponents. The downside to that there might be information overload which was what resulted in him having beef with neymar at PSG.

Some funny incident between him and Jeremy Mathieu
Emery gave each player his own pen drive with images and information on the men they would be facing. He suspected that one player was not bothering to do his “homework” – he will not say who it was but it was not Joaquín – so one week he gave him a blank pen drive. “‘Did you see it?’ ‘Yes, don’t worry boss’. And it was empty.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... unai-emery
Old and dead stories. He now will work in a completely different environment.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Unai Emery & Arsenal. The similarities with Wenger include an incredible work-ethic and an incredibly classy man. Just last week, Emery spent a considerable portion of his press conference praising and congratulating Thomas Tuchel for taking his PSG job.

I am a big admirer of Emery. For me, he is just the perfect appointment. I have followed and admired him for a long time. I have read articles and even a book of him and his tactics. I think he will be a perfect fit.

I will break it all down.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

platinum wrote:
tolahs wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

1st of all, us gooners mustn't be scared to question perceived or real weaknesses.
I hear a lot about his tactical preparation - that's got me taller by a foot.
I suspect like AW, he trusted his players too much @PSG - that still doesn't explain how big name players would blow their lines on the big stage.
He's coming with his coaching staff(I read) - who on his coaching staff or our board will make sure no player gets away with divadom?
At Sevilla, they'd to fight cos Barca & R_m run things.
I like the way his PSG played us in the CL - hope the support system for the gaffer enables him to make big things happen
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.