The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Blukyt
Egg
Egg
Re: The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Post by Blukyt »

Anyone know if the matches in Australia will be televised?

On another note, I really hope BFG does well as a coach. I really see him as an Arsenal manager. He has the stature and looks the part.
bouncino
Egg
Egg

Post by bouncino »

http://kwese.espn.com/football/soccer-t ... ertesacker

Alexis Sanchez will 'definitely' be remaining at Arsenal - Per Mertesacker
play

Arsenal captain Per Mertesacker has said Alexis Sanchez is "definitely" staying at the club next season.

Sanchez's future remains unclear as he is set to enter the last year of his contract, but Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger reiterated on Tuesday that he will not sell the Chile international.

And Mertesacker, who is retiring next season to take charge of Arsenal's academy, told Fox Sports in Australia that he is expecting to line up alongside Sanchez in his final year as a player.

When asked if Sanchez is staying at Arsenal, Mertesacker said: "Yes, definitely. I think [Sanchez] was impressive in the Confederations Cup. He's now on holiday so it's quiet in terms of conversations. But he's a warrior on the pitch.

"I think he wants to come back as quickly as possible -- he hates holidays, he hates to calm down. I'm looking forward to playing alongside him in my last season and he thinks the same."

Arsenal are in Australia for the start of their preseason tour, which includes two friendlies in Sydney this week.

Sanchez was left out of the travelling squad after helping Chile to this summer's Confederations Cup final, but Mesut Ozil and new signing Alexandre Lacazette are set to play in the games -- and both helped launch Arsenal's new third kit in a photo shoot in front of Sydney Harbour Bridge on Wednesday.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

bk-one wrote:
Waffiman wrote:I have thought about this and even looked it up. I cannot recall pundits use penalties scored to detract from a striker's goal tally. In fact, Google seach confirms my observations. But Arsenal has signed Lacazette, so it is now an issue.

How many times did you hear Mourinho say a striker playing for him was suspect cos he scored penalties? Did he say that about Drogba whose stats was 'average to good' overall, and 'ordinary' when you remove penalty goals.
Dude you know pretty well that Mourinho is trying to get the media attention off Lukaku's exorbitant price. The positive out of all this is that Mourinho is doubting whether Lukaku's quality can match his price tag. If lacazette is that terrible he wouldn't be saying anything bout him
You are spot on about Mourinho. Indeed, I have exposed his hypocrisy with my previous posts on this subject above.

The main trust of my post was the pundits and indeed what brought me back to this subject was listening to BBC Radio Five Live yesterday. Apart from the ridiculous claims about Rooney's abilities both past and present. I found Henry Winter and David Pleat abhorrent and myopic but I really should not be surprised. David bemoaned Arsenal now getting rid of English players and bringing in French players, Henry Winter concurred adding the problem at the club has not been the English players but the Manager. The foreign journalists disagreed arguing that Arsenal's squad need more quality and the English players who are rumoured to be replaced is not just about quality. They gave an example with Gibbs who is being replaced by higher quality but at a price much lower than his Agent held out for in the past 18 months. They also said Wilshere's Agent was hawking his services around this time last summer and when the season began asking for £170k per week, Lemar who turned down Spuds and many other clubs is likely to join Arsenal for less than £100k per week. Both of them argued it is not about nationality, for Arsenal, it is about quality and value.

Pleat conceded Spuds interest in Lemar but kept on banging on about Academies and English players. but pleat conveniently forgets, only one or two of Spuds English players came from their Academy. Also, if one looks at Academy players only, going by Academy rules in England, Arsenal has more from their Academy than Spuds but they are not all English.

Winter said he was no good and all he scored was penalties. Pleat said he was alright but wont make it in our physical league of he does not take penalties. The 2 foreign journalists disagreed. One even went as far as to say he will score the most goals if he settles in quickly. They even used Mourinho as the basis for their conclusions. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is why I brought this up again. However, my main trust was not at Mourinho but the pundits.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

theYemster wrote:
anikulapo wrote:I'm going through all the team goals for all the season Alexis Sanchez has been with us and it's sheer mind boggling and shocking that some people would rather have him off this team than within it.

He is simply the best transfer of the Recent Wenger era. What a freaking player :thumb:

Imagine keeping Ozil who is by miles the worst transfer ever, over Sanchez :curse:

Sheer madness and insanity :curse:
Stop trying to sensationalize things. I understand you wanting Alexis to stay but it's not an "either-or" choice between both players. Alexis possibly leaving has nothing to do with Özil staying.

Shut up :roll:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

theYemster wrote:
Waffiman wrote:I have thought about this and even looked it up. I cannot recall pundits use penalties scored to detract from a striker's goal tally. In fact, Google seach confirms my observations. But Arsenal has signed Lacazette, so it is now an issue.

How many times did you hear Mourinho say a striker playing for him was suspect cos he scored penalties? Did he say that about Drogba whose stats was 'average to good' overall, and 'ordinary' when you remove penalty goals.
Dude, stop whining. Drogs led Chelsea to win multiple EPL titles and UCL. Just win the damn league and that'll shut Mourinho up. Nothing else will including your yeye stats and observations.
:agree: win the league and the fool Jose will shut up. You don't see him ouch fight with small boy Pep all the time like he does with Wenger .Even Conte Jose respect the guy over Wenger'.Hopefully Wenger win major trophy again.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Looks like Maitland-Niles will get 1st team promotion. He currently has the number 7 shirt (no connection to Sanchez) and all indications are, he and Rene will be bonafide 1st teamers. I am rooting for the kid and I hope he takes his chance.

My guess is, Wenger will use this pre-season to try and assess his development before deciding if it is worth a punt on another CM. I hope he comes through but the word is he has been thrown in the deep end of 1st team training. Wenger has said, we will continue with the system we finished with last season, but we will definitely be reverting to to other systems. My guess is, we will be playing 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 as well as 3-4-3. But Arsenal do not play the defensive 3-4-3 system, it is more like a 3-4-2-1 because it is far more offensive.

For me the best news so far this summer, apart from Lacazette's signing, is Santi's update on his fitness. He confirmed he was back playing football again and expressed how happy he was. For many of us, this is just great news because there is now a real possibility that he will be available for selection come the first game of the season. I do not think we will see him in pre-season, but there is a chance he might play the last pre-season game or even come on in the Charity shield. Whatever it is, we must keep our fingers crossed and hope he stays injury free. For me, his fitness is why Arsenal are not taking the CM position as a priority this window.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Sad to see Perez, lose his shirt to Lacazette. But it the grand scheme of things, it is what fans have been crying out for. They want to see a ruthless club that is firm and decisive with players. I also observed that silence here on Jens. There can be no doubt that Wenger's recruitment of Jens, who is a fully badged UEFA Coach from what many say is the most difficult badge to take in Germany, has silenced a lot of Wenger's critics.

No one can ever say Jens is a yes man. We all remember how Jens has never been backward in coming forward. He made it clear if he did not agree with any decision and did not fail in explaining why. Wenger has never been insecure of his position but Llungberg leaving created the space. Indeed adding Jens to the mix effectively means Wenger now has another 'bad cop' to go with Bould. Already rumours of Jens getting involved heavily in pre-season training. With Walcott saying this has been the hardest pre-season he has experienced, adding new coaches bring in new ideas.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:Looks like Maitland-Niles will get 1st team promotion. He currently has the number 7 shirt (no connection to Sanchez) and all indications are, he and Rene will be bonafide 1st teamers. I am rooting for the kid and I hope he takes his chance.

My guess is, Wenger will use this pre-season to try and assess his development before deciding if it is worth a punt on another CM. I hope he comes through but the word is he has been thrown in the deep end of 1st team training. Wenger has said, we will continue with the system we finished with last season, but we will definitely be reverting to to other systems. My guess is, we will be playing 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 as well as 3-4-3. But Arsenal do not play the defensive 3-4-3 system, it is more like a 3-4-2-1 because it is far more offensive.

For me the best news so far this summer, apart from Lacazette's signing, is Santi's update on his fitness. He confirmed he was back playing football again and expressed how happy he was. For many of us, this is just great news because there is now a real possibility that he will be available for selection come the first game of the season. I do not think we will see him in pre-season, but there is a chance he might play the last pre-season game or even come on in the Charity shield. Whatever it is, we must keep our fingers crossed and hope he stays injury free. For me, his fitness is why Arsenal are not taking the CM position as a priority this window.

Waffi the Lil Spanish wizard is one of my all time favs but he can no longer be relied on. His body can't take it plus he ain't getting any younger and fewer injuries are more debilitating than an Achilles tear. He was never the fastest, but made up with for it with ballerina like feet and an even quicker mind, yet even that will be tested with an aging body in such a rugged league.

Nevertheless if Arsene uses the Europa league competently he can keep everyone happy with a dose of cup games and the Europa while saving the best of his squad for league games.

As for Ainsley, the lad with the psycho Mama :scared: , I wonder what position he will make his own. He has been played as a fullback, winger and even as a #6. Needs to find a permanent position and make it his own ASAP
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

As for Jack Wilshere, one good option, like a suggested last season and yeye Waffi argued cluelessly as usual :taunt: :taunt: , would be to re-sign with Arsenal and go out on a season long loan in La Liga.

He really needs to play in a football playing league, to get his mind and body right, outside of the brutal Hurly Burly of the EPL. I mean after all his agidi it's not as if Bournemouth are breaking down doors to bring him back as they did with Ake :idea:

Hell that alone should have knocked some sense into the thick entitled skull of him and his agent :roll:

People sha

MLK.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

anikulapo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Looks like Maitland-Niles will get 1st team promotion. He currently has the number 7 shirt (no connection to Sanchez) and all indications are, he and Rene will be bonafide 1st teamers. I am rooting for the kid and I hope he takes his chance.

Waffi the Lil Spanish wizard is one of my all time favs but he can no longer be relied on. His body can't take it plus he ain't getting any younger and fewer injuries are more debilitating than an Achilles tear. He was never the fastest, but made up with for it with ballerina like feet and an even quicker mind, yet even that will be tested with an aging body in such a rugged league.

Nevertheless if Arsene uses the Europa league competently he can keep everyone happy with a dose of cup games and the Europa while saving the best of his squad for league games.

As for Ainsley, the lad with the psycho Mama :scared: , I wonder what position he will make his own. He has been played as a fullback, winger and even as a #6. Needs to find a permanent position and make it his own ASAP
On this I concur. I will even start playing Santi there and gradually build up his fitness.

As for M-Niles, all last season, he played almost all games at CM, only filing in FB to cover injuries. Even play the odd first game game in that position. I now take the view he is a CM. I also take the view, he looks far more promising as a CM than FB, but what do I know? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:

On this I concur. I will even start playing Santi there and gradually build up his fitness.

As for M-Niles, all last season, he played almost all games at CM, only filing in FB to cover injuries. Even play the odd first game game in that position. I now take the view he is a CM. I also take the view, he looks far more promising as a CM than FB, but what do I know? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Don't think he has the polish as of yet to dictate tempo with his passing and decision making as a top level CM at the moment or even any time soon

MLK.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Arsenal will regret selling Giroud
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cally wrote:
CROWN wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ed-arsenal

Here we go again!!!

But a United source said: “Lacazette was followed because he was top scorer in French football – but a lot of his goals were penalties [10 of his 27 goals last season came from the spot].

“In the end he wasn’t considered because he has no stamina, no physical impact and isn’t a big game player.”
The hand of Jacob, but the voice of Esau.
Na wa o! So this is the quote that Waffiman and his ilk attributed to "Mourinho?" Guess Mourinho's name sells papers and also sells gossip... what a shame. frankly, I dont blame you. If the moderators do their job well, you and your kind will be suspended for posting a false report. Had this been a non-Arsenal fan who posted a false report, the moderators will be twerking together, shaking yansh, and excited about suspending the person.

Lacazette was never an option for Man Utd. It had nothing to do with him. As Mourinho and Lukaku ACTUALLY SAID, Mourinho simply wanted Lukaku. They have been talking about the move for more than one year.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

danfo driver wrote:Arsenal will regret selling Giroud
Did they sell him? Sauce please. :D
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

What do you think of this 3rd Jersey?

Last edited by Cito on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cito wrote:
No they havent. But he is not going to be a starter and he is considering his future during a world cup year. He is open to leaving.

I dont like Giroud's game. I dont rate it and if I was a coach, I will never work with him. However, if you look at his goals last season and the circumstances... and the fact that he gives arsenal something different that will help them against stubborn teams, it will be stupid to sell him
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

So even Dortmund are linked to Olivia but nothing for Ozil ???

Wow how embarrassing :rotf: :rotf: I would seriously let his deal expire if I'm Arsenal :rotf:

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Just curious, is Monaco not taking a big risk by not selling Mbappe now?

MLK.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote:
Cito wrote:
No they havent. But he is not going to be a starter and he is considering his future during a world cup year. He is open to leaving.

I dont like Giroud's game. I dont rate it and if I was a coach, I will never work with him. However, if you look at his goals last season and the circumstances... and the fact that he gives arsenal something different that will help them against stubborn teams, it will be stupid to sell him
talk about contradicting statements :lol: :lol: dude you have zero clue about anything.. so which is it.. flip flopping 2ce in one post kai :lol:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

anikulapo wrote:Just curious, is Monaco not taking a big risk by not selling Mbappe now?
who are you asking this question? are you bipolar or what? why don't you go and ask Monaco? my goodness, some people actually think they matter
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

danfo driver wrote:
Cito wrote:

Ow ok you are assuming they will sell him then. For a moment I thought they did going by the definitive nature of your statement.
Anyways are you an Arsenal fan or a fan of Arsenal Fans? Just curious :mrgreen:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Cito wrote:

talk about contradicting statements :lol: :lol: dude you have zero clue about anything.. so which is it.. flip flopping 2ce in one post kai :lol:
Those statements are'nt contradictory at all. They actually reconcile.

Personal preference -- Not mine. Will go for someone else.

Arsenal choice -- Do not sell. He gives YOU (ARSENAL) an alternative
If only you knew my profession. You'd realize that this is my "bread and butter" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Stupid fat turkey chewing b1tch!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

danfo driver wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Cito wrote:

Those statements are'nt contradictory at all. They actually reconcile.

Personal preference -- Not mine. Will go for someone else.

Arsenal choice -- Do not sell. He gives YOU (ARSENAL) an alternative
If only you knew my profession. You'd realize that this is my "bread and butter" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Stupid fat turkey chewing b1tch!
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."