The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

azuka
Egg
Egg
Re: The Arsenal - Related News and Development for 2017/2018

Post by azuka »

ojafranpa wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
azuka wrote:Say what you may, we did not lose to Man City, but rather to the referee. This must be one of the most ridiculously refereed EPL matches i have ever seen. Right from kick-off when Man City embarked on "smart fouling" of our players anytime we try to break away with man City caught out and the referee keeping his cards in his pocket, to the penalty awarded for shoulder-to-shoulder challenge and then the icing on the cake. How Silva is not offside in the eyes of the referees only, beats me.
AW for all his faults nearly got his tactics right except for one or two calls i wouldn't have made. Any wonder Man City abandoned the midfield for us and resorted to wing play? Say what we may, this is one defeat that leaves a bitter taste in the mouth for bad officiating.
Kudos to my boys for standing tall today. My hats off to them.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

It was always going to be difficult against Man City but having our most clinical £52 million striker on the bench and the least technical player in our team, Coq in centre back doesn't help yet some people still blame the referee.
When I say some of them here have the mentality of Trump supporters dem go think say na yabs :mrgreen:
I don't know where to start :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Lacazette with 4 EPL goals was on the bench, yet he plays Sanchez as the main strikers.
The boss explained his thinking after the game:

on why he played Coquelin in defence…
I can explain to you that Mertesacker came into training yesterday morning, sick. That Holding had a thigh strain. That Debuchy had just come back from [being] a long-time absentee. That I don’t see that big a problem to play in the middle of the [central defensive] two. You’re a defensive midfielder or a defender, it’s exactly the same. I don’t think that was a problem in our game.
So why did he not start Laca. Why not change Iwobi who obviously was having a bad day in the office when it showed early enough in the game? Why not play Elneny instead of Coq. We have seen Elneny play that position several times. But this is the first time i was seeing Coq as a CD. And you not what we lost there, we could not pass out from the defence. How that would have affected the outcome is hard to say.

Aniks and co, have you noticed how the "know-all" English pundits you quote often have gone silent on the match especially the refereeing since Arsenal was mauled as they expected. Even our beloved MK could only comment on having Jack back in the squad. No comments whatsoever on the attrocious officiating. Had Arsenal been beaten by 3 legal goals you would have seen them all having an opinion of how bad the team is and how tactically inept AW is.
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Nkume wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: On the performance of the boys today.

WE "WAS" ROBBED!!!

Yes city dominated! Yes city should have won! But, this should have been a draw, and if the ref was not cheating, we could have won!
It was scandalous! Absolutely scandalous! No one will remember how poor the ref was, they will only say Arsenal lost again against a big team.

[/video]

The refs have cost off 9 points this season! 9 points!!! :curse:

Stoke
1. 2 penalty shouts NOT given in our favor.
2. A legitimate Lacazette goal called back for a FAKE offside.

Watford
1. Phantom penalty called against us.

City
1. Fake PK called on a shoulder to shoulder, immediately after an Arsenal advantage with Sanchez away had been called back :curse:
2. 2 city players a MILE offside, yet NO call! :curse:
Legitimate facts, not feelings. There are many things that may be wrong with Arsenal, but these very costly mistakes by referees against the Arsenal occur at an alarming rate. External haters and internal ones of course dismiss them due to their apathy towards Wenger, but they remain what they are - extremely costly refereeing mistakes. 9 points already lost, and I'm totally sure that no other EPL team will compare.

Let the usual suspects dismiss this as they normally do. Something needs to be done by Wenger or whoever can open their mouth at that club. They need to complain and complain until this stuff decreases in frequency. The soft underbelly is creamy now pretty much.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Skylolo wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:tell me how good Man City was today when Arsenal are gifted a PK and an offside goal..until then save your anti Arsenal narrative
Don't mind them....

City are good but at the end of the day they only scored 1 legitimate goal.
Spot on guys. This place reeks of hypocrites.

Wenger played 4-3-3, to counter City but he did not have the players to execute his tactics. Wenger had to match City's 5 midfield and they did contain City but were not dangerous enough. This is the balanced lacked in that midfield esp without Wilshere or Santi. But it could be the beginning if a new system when Wilshere is fully fit. I really hope it is. I want to see us return to a back 4.

Barca and RM play 4-3-3 but Barca play Busquets, Iniesta and Rakitic. RM do with Casemiro, Kroos and mainly Isco. You notice the balance of qualities of the respective 3.

Wenger had Coq, Xhaka and Ramsey. It did not work cos it lacked balance and Coq is hopelessly out of form and confidence. The thing is Coq played that role of dropping from midfield into back 4 thus making it a 3 defence. But he offered nothing creatively. Ramsey needed creativity but Xhaka was easily shackled cos City knew Coq posed no threat and concerntrated Xhaka thus staving Ramsey of balls to his runs and diagonals to Iwobi or Ozil.

But we contained them and IMHO, this was the plan till he could make the changes. Why? The MF lacked creativity but not mobility, we needed creativity from somewhere in that MF.

Our problems were compounded by our top 3 not playing as a unit and lacking supply of the right balls. Iwobi looked lost after his mistake for the 1st goal and Ozil was not in the game. Sanchez was starved of right supply but he justified Wenger's decision to play him as a striker, cos he turnover the ball 15 times in the 1st half.

Wenger changed it but he kept the formation initially, with Lacazette in and Sanchez playing inside left, suddenly we looked a threat and a different team. Wilshere showed why a player who can run with the ball, beat his marker and also pass it key in a 4-3-3.

But when we really needed the luck, it deserted us. That offside decision was so unlucky.

What's bad about it was despite everything, we were well in the game. Lacazette had come on and we really looked like nicking a point. Then that decision.

Not saying we deserved to win or City were not the better team. But you and I know only too well, you don't have to be the better team to win or nick a point.

Thanks to the officials, we will never know if we would have nicked a point or even won the game.

It really is frustrating. City was as good as everyone said they would be, but we were not as bad as everyone predicted. In fact, we showed that they can be beaten.

Now watch teams counter City with similar tactics.

In a game both teams committed the same number of fouls, the Ref booked 6 of our players. This is not a one off. Go check the Ref's record against us and how he Refs our games. His early booking of an Arsenal player is a known pattern.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cally wrote:
Nkume wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: On the performance of the boys today.

WE "WAS" ROBBED!!!

Yes city dominated! Yes city should have won! But, this should have been a draw, and if the ref was not cheating, we could have won!
It was scandalous! Absolutely scandalous! No one will remember how poor the ref was, they will only say Arsenal lost again against a big team.

[/video]

The refs have cost off 9 points this season! 9 points!!! :curse:

Stoke
1. 2 penalty shouts NOT given in our favor.
2. A legitimate Lacazette goal called back for a FAKE offside.

Watford
1. Phantom penalty called against us.

City
1. Fake PK called on a shoulder to shoulder, immediately after an Arsenal advantage with Sanchez away had been called back :curse:
2. 2 city players a MILE offside, yet NO call! :curse:
Legitimate facts, not feelings. There are many things that may be wrong with Arsenal, but these very costly mistakes by referees against the Arsenal occur at an alarming rate. External haters and internal ones of course dismiss them due to their apathy towards Wenger, but they remain what they are - extremely costly refereeing mistakes. 9 points already lost, and I'm totally sure that no other EPL team will compare.

Let the usual suspects dismiss this as they normally do. Something needs to be done by Wenger or whoever can open their mouth at that club. They need to complain and complain until this stuff decreases in frequency. The soft underbelly is creamy now pretty much.
Win % M Oliver as ref
Man C 69%
Leics 64%
Chelsea 55%
Spurs 54%
Man U 43%
Liv 42%
Sou 36%
Stoke 35%
Eve 31%
WBA 30%
Swa 29%
CPal 27%
Ars 20%

Facts, not feelings.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Waffiman wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:tell me how good Man City was today when Arsenal are gifted a PK and an offside goal..until then save your anti Arsenal narrative
Don't mind them....

Wenger played 4-3-3, to counter City but he did not have the players to execute his tactics. Wenger had to match City's 5 midfield and they did contain City but were not dangerous enough. This is the balanced lacked in that midfield esp without Wilshere or Santi. But it could be the beginning if a new system when Wilshere is fully fit. I really hope it is. I want to see us return to a back 4.

Barca and RM play 4-3-3 but Barca play Busquets, Iniesta and Rakitic. RM do with Casemiro, Kroos and mainly Isco. You notice the balance of qualities of the respective 3.

Wenger had Coq, Xhaka and Ramsey. It did not work cos it lacked balance and Coq is hopelessly out of form and confidence. The thing is Coq played that role of dropping from midfield into back 4 thus making it a 3 defence. But he offered nothing creatively. Ramsey needed creativity but Xhaka was easily shackled cos City knew Coq posed no threat and concerntrated Xhaka thus staving Ramsey of balls to his runs and diagonals to Iwobi or Ozil.

But we contained them and IMHO, this was the plan till he could make the changes. Why? The MF lacked creativity but not mobility, we needed creativity from somewhere in that MF.

Our problems were compounded by our top 3 not playing as a unit and lacking supply of the right balls. Iwobi looked lost after his mistake for the 1st goal and Ozil was not in the game. Sanchez was starved of right supply but he justified Wenger's decision to play him as a striker, cos he turnover the ball 15 times in the 1st half.

Wenger changed it but he kept the formation initially, with Lacazette in and Sanchez playing inside left, suddenly we looked a threat and a different team. Wilshere showed why a player who can run with the ball, beat his marker and also pass it key in a 4-3-3.

But when we really needed the luck, it deserted us. That offside decision was so unlucky.

What's bad about it was despite everything, we were well in the game. Lacazette had come on and we really looked like nicking a point. Then that decision.

Not saying we deserved to win or City were not the better team. But you and I know only too well, you don't have to be the better team to win or nick a point.

Thanks to the officials, we will never know if we would have nicked a point or even won the game.

It really is frustrating. City was as good as everyone said they would be, but we were not as bad as everyone predicted. In fact, we showed that they can be beaten.

In a game both teams committed the same number of fouls, the Ref booked 6 of our players. This is not a one off. Go check the Ref's record against us and how he Refs our games. His early booking of an Arsenal player is a known pattern.
I can only reiterate everyone has proclaimed Man City by far the best team in the PL and yet....Arsenal were expected to overcome a bogus PK call and joke offside goal? 2 seasons on the trot Man City gifted 2 goals via absurd officiating in the Etihad vs Arsenal.

For all the detractors get back to me when any other PL side wins @ the Etihad after Man city is gifted 2 goals..I'm waiting!!!!!
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

hopeful gives a fook 11 vs Spurs

Cech

Kos---Mustafi---Monreal

Bellerin--Ramsey---Jack--Kolasinac

Iwob----Lacazette---Welbeck
Detective Bunk Moreland

Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

...like I said before same result same old excuses
people never learn... :roll:
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:hopeful gives a fook 11 vs Spurs

Cech

Kos---Mustafi---Monreal

You cannot play jack and Ramshyt together in the center of your midfield ... cmon dude are you serious
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

anikulapo wrote:

Cech

Kos---Mustafi---Monreal

You cannot play jack and Ramshyt together in the center of your midfield ... cmon dude are you serious
Frankly I know I'm pissing in the wind, AW will start Ozil, Xhaka, Sanchez and pray the former 2 actually give a shite and the latter one actually is not his usual calamitous self
Detective Bunk Moreland

Blukyt
Egg
Egg

Post by Blukyt »

I thought we did relatively well tbh. City are way better than us. They got decisions in their favor.

I think the quicker we accept that we are not contenders and move on with life after Ozil and Sanchez the better.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
anikulapo wrote:

Cech

Kos---Mustafi---Monreal

Frankly I know I'm pissing in the wind, AW will start Ozil, Xhaka, Sanchez and pray the former 2 actually give a shite and the latter one actually is not his usual calamitous self

You’re right about that which is why I’m puzzled as to why you’re joining the blame the Ref crew of muppets. Arsenal’s problems begin and end with Wenger ... I’ve been his biggest defender but even a blind man can see that he is past it. He has constructed and overpaid for a Sh!tty roster and is terrified to confront lousy players.

Let the ball drop on him : COWARD :curse:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Cech

Kos---Mustafi---Monreal

Iwobi----Referee---Welbeck
Since you're always complaining about bad refereeing decisions, I have included the referee in your squad. :biggrin:
Last edited by realtrouble on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cech

Kos---Mustafi---Monreal

TG, I really liked our 4-3-3 from the City game. We did not get the result but for me, it is the way forward. I get this feeling Wenger has not played it cos of injuries to Santi and Wilshere. I hope we revert to a back 4. I have argued here for ages that a 4-3-3 suited the talents of our players best.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Blukyt wrote:I thought we did relatively well tbh. City are way better than us. They got decisions in their favor.

I think the quicker we accept that we are not contenders and move on with life after Ozil and Sanchez the better.
No one is a contender this season. City are over loaded with talent and Conte even admitted it is now a one team league.

But we are well in the race for 2nd. Take away the 3 results (Stoke, Watford and City) we are much closer.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
Don't mind them....

I can only reiterate everyone has proclaimed Man City by far the best team in the PL and yet....Arsenal were expected to overcome a bogus PK call and joke offside goal? 2 seasons on the trot Man City gifted 2 goals via absurd officiating in the Etihad vs Arsenal.

For all the detractors get back to me when any other PL side wins @ the Etihad after Man city is gifted 2 goals..I'm waiting!!!!!
The Ref giving a foul against Ramsey, when he took the ball over the line whilst trying to atone for his handling error.
Blukyt
Egg
Egg

Post by Blukyt »

Waffiman wrote:

Cech

Kos---Mustafi---Monreal

TG, I really liked our 4-3-3 from the City game. We did not get the result but for me, it is the way forward. I get this feeling Wenger has not played it cos of injuries to Santi and Wilshere. I hope we revert to a back 4. I have argued here for ages that a 4-3-3 suited the talents of our players best.
That didn't look like 4-3-3 yesterday. It was 3 at the back. Kos-Coq-Nacho. Wenger tends to stick to 1 formula. Even in Europe he's playing 3 at the back wasting the talents of Nelson and Niles.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Blukyt wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Cech

Kos---Mustafi---Monreal

That didn't look like 4-3-3 yesterday. It was 3 at the back. Kos-Coq-Nacho. Wenger tends to stick to 1 formula. Even in Europe he's playing 3 at the back wasting the talents of Nelson and Niles.
Coq filled in the back to make it a 3 in defence, but stepped into MF, when we had to ball, to match City's 5. Wenger played it well tactically, but really lacked the personnel to make it work better.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

azuka wrote:
tolahs wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
tolahs wrote:Were Azuka & Gunnerbang watching the same match?

Overreaction...

Free scoring Citeh have been banging 4,5's and sixes against teams in the league up till this afternoon. Arsenal limited them to 1 legitimate goal in the game and actually scored 1 goal.

We could have played better, especially in the final 3rd but that was definitely not a bad performance.
You should be grateful that free scoring Man City played a full strength Napoli last week Wednesday, imagine if they had 7 day's rest. :atc: :atc:
Seen it all now - this is from the Amir Khan school of losing - "i was faster, hitting him with shots until he got lucky"
Manc are 12 points ahead of us in Nov - they outhustle us & dude thinks we should celebrate - Guess that AW speech at the AGM was
inoculation from accountability. :oops: :(

So Tolahs your judgement of the match was based on a 3minutes clip u posted above from youtube? I watched the match and even recorded it because i was so sure we will beat City. Could we have played better yes we could have just like Skylolo said, but please City today did not deserve to win. Not definitely with those ridiculous calls of the referee.
Boss, pls don't go Donald Trump on me(puleessee) - Watched the match live with a party of 8 whom i'd convinced we'll win cos we'd prep time. MC probably flying from Naples to Manchester couldn't have made it to home 'till well past midnight.
I always go by performance & on 3min clips - i saw several teenagers - Gooners based in Manchester - 15/16 yrs old average say we
played with fear - there's something to that - for a few seasons now, when it comes to matches like this - we don't perform.
Stuart Robson on ESPN was right - we'd a good 1st 10mins pressing but when they breached that front pressers - we were poor on recovery(very poor) - you've to return to a gaffer who gives no hoot about ball winners or DMs in midfield - Ramsey & Xhaka ain't built for that.
On away matches, your 1st commitment isn't to concede especially early - y'all are pumped on our fightback after been beaten mercilessly(2-0 down) - I am p/o we rested only to come out all Audley Harrison - real passive, no out balls - unacceptable gap b/tween m/f & striker - AW's bungled tactics was on show again.- it goes on.
Last edited by tolahs on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

anikulapo wrote:

Cech

Kos---Mustafi---Monreal

The irony is real - i think it was in Tunisia in some Africa Cup of Nations thing - a 9ja coach started JJ & Kanu as a central midfield
pairing - Utaka who was on the wings not only tracked back to defend the opposing FB - he also was the DM giving where he was defending.
We've a gaffer(in AW) like that 9ja coach who's scared to bench big name players.
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

What iam seeing here as expected is the sort of narrative i'll expect from Bernie Sanders would've won Democrats.
Regardless of whatever formation you play - you must that have application right - if you cannot look at what made AW special vs his glaring weaknesses presently then you're opting willingly for naivety(of the Ray Charles variety) - period. AW spoke to a station i can't remember the name of after the midweek CL tie - he talked about the energy levels of FC Napoli dropping in the 2nd half vs ManC cos they played on Sunday vs ManC(sat) - he put a lot of stock in the freshness of his players being an advantage.
I've not listened to Pep but in one of the Post match clips, i hear him pointing to the rest advantage.
Like Napoli showed - you must find a way to go at MC's back line early - our problem & it has been so for a while AW lacks the power
to bench Bigname players even when they're clearly unfit for purpose - i keep hearing how great ManC are - does that mean they should
outhustle us in all facets of the match?
You could've played formation 8-1-1 - they were slicing us open - we again were overplaying(too many touches on even slow moving balls) - tell y'all something right now if Alexis joins ManC - he passes faster that he does now or him & that bench getting married.
What you see with Pep's City compared to last season is a team drilled to the 9s, a team that understands ball recovery after a turnover
must involve all outfield players, speed to get in shape paramount to fighting counters - it goes on.
How does a gaffer who extended the carriers of aging defenders like Adams, Bould,Keown etc with M/F steels now discard that part of football - whanever you see our midfield run over - you wonder what AW sees!!!

P/S - Just heard in the last 8 games away to top 6 oppo - ManU have only scored 1 goal. Wagwan!!!???
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Waffiman wrote:

Cech

Kos---Mustafi---Monreal

As implied in your post post Santi AW has lost faith in his midfield. Ozil, Ramsey, Xhaka, in particular are at best inconsistent, frankly off the ball they're often putrid.

hallmark of AW sides was always the midfield be it when led by Petit, Vieira, Vieira, Gilberto, Cesc, Hleb, Flamini, Santi and anyone....Arsenal midfield dictated tempo of games week in and week out for eons. Now it's a mish mash mess, which AW has not found solution to in nearly 2 years.
Detective Bunk Moreland

tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

There's a lot of noise made about bigname coaches in the EPL but so far only a couple are really buzzing with their work. Klopp has been a huge letdown in terms of defensive organization . Antonio Conte (oh god) - let's say emotional overload - the way he let go off Costa via text(i heard)
- common now - looks a drama Queen. Maybe it's the Italo in him but with time(this is chelsea tho) he'll be a big player
Mauricio Pochettino(can't believe i am saying this) should be on the radar of the top La Liga clubs -i respect his team defensive philosophy greatly - the speed at which players get help/support from a teammate is very impressive - the way they move the ball around is top notch
As for Pep, i wrote him off last season based on what to me were failures in the CL by Bayern, playing non backline defenders in the backline etc but i respect a geezer who truly focuses on weaknesses & goes for productive options - if you go look up transfer ins & outs to the EPL 2017/18 - Pep got rid of the dross - in the clip below apart from addressing how after the fatigue in Naples they faced us - he speaks to their
home record last season vs the top 6, lack of clinical scoring/goals conceded etc - dude rolls with a plan & every player knows what it's

anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

My Coach of the week is definitely Antonio Conte. Against all odds he took David Luis on last season and made him a revelation. Yet despite a resounding loss at Roma and with his arch rival Mourinho coming to town, he still had the balls and belief in his system and players to bench the dude for insurbordination and went on to win a great game vs the ultimate tactician.

I can’t laud the man enough :clap: :clap:

Compare that to the insipid, uninspiring and double talking coward we have at the Emirates :curse:

Tufiakwa .... WENGER BLOODY OUT :curse:

Enough Already :curse:

MLK.