NFF Sponsorship Deal with Aiteo for the Federation Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
NFF Sponsorship Deal with Aiteo for the Federation Cup

Post by anointed »

Reflecting on the NFF Sponsorship Deal with Aiteo from the Federation Cup

Now, it's gonna be called Aiteo Cup. While the sponsorship is very good one and many more deals like that are strongly coveted for our football and in fact of Naija sports.

However,  I'd love a situation where the name of the tourney reflects the brand and tradition behind the Cup e.g a name like Aiteo NFF Cup or Aiteo Federation Cup would/could have sufficed.

Even, for me, I never fully felt at home with the name Federation Cup. It has always been Challenge Cup, a name that became a brand for decades in Nigeria. Why did we even change the name from Challenge Cup in the first place? I strongly believe the loss of interest in the Cup could be accounted for in part buy the murder of the name Challenge Cup.

If I were Aiteo, I would have insisted in the rebirth of the name Challenge Cup as in Aiteo Challenge Cup. With a name like that, a lot has already been said for the PR of the tourney. The mountain to surmount in the future would be when Aiteo's sponsorship ends. Another name change or a revert to the FF Cup will be required. This doesn't help the popularity and interests in the Cup tourney.

The next best thing would have been to call it FA (Football Association) Cup like it's known all over the world. FA Cup says a lot and rings a lot of bells whereas FF Cup doesn't click a mouse let alone stir up old and dying memories of Cup games. Or where else in the world is the Cup tourney referred to as Federation Cup? How many countries call their Cup tourney FF Cup compared to FA Cup? In fact, the FA Cup in England does enough promo for other FA Cups in the world. And when Emirates chose to throw its financial muscle behind the FA Cup, it didn't become the Emirates Cup but the Emirates FA Cup. Likewise, the Premier League didn't surrender its name during the years of Barclays' sponsorship as it was called Barclays Premier League and not Barclays League.

But our FA is actually an FF. So this begs the question of why did we change from FA to FF? I've read before that FIFA required the change from Association to Federation but then how many countries did that? Did they do that in England, South Africa, Ghana etc? And in addition, FIFA is FIFA and not FIFF.

I've also read that a decree established the NFA and with the proposed advent of a legislation, there had to be a name change from NFA to NFF. Did some people make money from this drivel?

So, how did giving legislative backing to NFA require a change of name to NFF? Can someone also explain why we had to drop a name/brand we had been using since 1945 just like that? Even today, some people still use NFA. Can FIFA, IOC, England FA, CAF et al change their names brands? Even when IAAF changed its name, it maintained its acronym. By the way, the auto correction function on my phone recognizes these acronyms.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
folem
Egg
Egg
Re: NFF Sponsorship Deal with Aiteo for the Federation Cup

Post by folem »

anointed wrote:Reflecting on the NFF Sponsorship Deal with Aiteo from the Federation Cup

Now, it's gonna be called Aiteo Cup. While the sponsorship is very good one and many more deals like that are strongly coveted for our football and in fact of Naija sports.

However,  I'd love a situation where the name of the tourney reflects the brand and tradition behind the Cup e.g a name like Aiteo NFF Cup or Aiteo Federation Cup would/could have sufficed.

Even, for me, I never fully felt at home with the name Federation Cup. It has always been Challenge Cup, a name that became a brand for decades in Nigeria. Why did we even change the name from Challenge Cup in the first place? I strongly believe the loss of interest in the Cup could be accounted for in part buy the murder of the name Challenge Cup.

If I were Aiteo, I would have insisted in the rebirth of the name Challenge Cup as in Aiteo Challenge Cup. With a name like that, a lot has already been said for the PR of the tourney. The mountain to surmount in the future would be when Aiteo's sponsorship ends. Another name change or a revert to the FF Cup will be required. This doesn't help the popularity and interests in the Cup tourney.

The next best thing would have been to call it FA (Football Association) Cup like it's known all over the world. FA Cup says a lot and rings a lot of bells whereas FF Cup doesn't click a mouse let alone stir up old and dying memories of Cup games. Or where else in the world is the Cup tourney referred to as Federation Cup? How many countries call their Cup tourney FF Cup compared to FA Cup? In fact, the FA Cup in England does enough promo for other FA Cups in the world. And when Emirates chose to throw its financial muscle behind the FA Cup, it didn't become the Emirates Cup but the Emirates FA Cup. Likewise, the Premier League didn't surrender its name during the years of Barclays' sponsorship as it was called Barclays Premier League and not Barclays League.

But our FA is actually an FF. So this begs the question of why did we change from FA to FF? I've read before that FIFA required the change from Association to Federation but then how many countries did that? Did they do that in England, South Africa, Ghana etc? And in addition, FIFA is FIFA and not FIFF.

I've also read that a decree established the NFA and with the proposed advent of a legislation, there had to be a name change from NFA to NFF. Did some people make money from this drivel?

So, how did giving legislative backing to NFA require a change of name to NFF? Can someone also explain why we had to drop a name/brand we had been using since 1945 just like that? Even today, some people still use NFA. Can FIFA, IOC, England FA, CAF et al change their names brands? Even when IAAF changed its name, it maintained its acronym. By the way, the auto correction function on my phone recognizes these acronyms.
Many questions in your post. There is only one FA, and only one FA Cup. The cup in Germany is DFB Pokal, in Spain it is RFEF Copa del Rey (Kings Cup), in France it is FFF Coupe de France etc. I also believe NFF and Federation Cup should be retained along with the new sponsor name. The change of name from NFA to NFF was forced by the government when it ordered all sport associations in Nigeria to change name to Federation and all but football (then under Ibrahim Galadima) conformed (AFN, NBF, NVF, NTTF, NCF, NRF etc) but after a little while football yielded to the directive under Sani Lulu.

The previous name changes of the competition have been Governors Cup - 1945, Challenge Cup - 1960, Coca Cola Cup - 1999 (for sponsorship reasons), Federation Cup - 2009. The cup is still Challenge Cup even if the name is not as popular as before. The FA Cup's (English FA - The FA) official name remains the "Football Association Challenge Cup". Some international sports organisations do change names. Rugby changed from IRB to WR, Taekwando recently changed from WTF (because of the pun) to WT, Cricket has undergone two name changes while retaining it's ICC nomenclature.