Nigerian football team sacks 40 players

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigerian football team sacks 40 players

Post by Senator WIRES »

Nigerian second-tier side Mighty Jets FC, from the city of Jos, have sacked 40 players from their 65-man squad for performing below the club’s expectations.

Struggling Jets, currently seventh in the 13-team Northern Conference of the Nigeria National League (NNL), have also snapped up a further 10 new players to increase competition and “separate wheat from chaff”.

“We had a big squad of 65 players, too crowded and unproductive, so we had to release 40 players,” the club’s sporting director Benedict Akwuegbu told BBC Sport.

“We only need 35 players for the season and some players were not even registered but training with the club. It was just too much.”

One of the affected players told BBC Sport that he was not given enough opportunity to prove himself.
http://bbc.com/
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Nigerian football team sacks 40 players

Post by mcal »

...how can a 2nd tier football club from poor 3rd world country carry 65 players on it's roster.
Even American style football no dey carry that much players.
Mismanagement and stupidity plenty for our land, no be small.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

mcal wrote:...how can a 2nd tier football club from poor 3rd world country carry 65 players on it's roster.
Chief Mcal; I was going to say the same thing like you did, but I remembered in the article, it was said, "... some players were not even registered but training with the club. It was just too much.” Thus, as you can see, some players are not registered with the Club; however, whether they are paid or not is what we don't know. In reality, why should they pay a player who is not registered with the Club? Anyway, ...
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Odas wrote:
mcal wrote:...how can a 2nd tier football club from poor 3rd world country carry 65 players on it's roster.
Chief Mcal; I was going to say the same thing like you did, but I remembered in the article, it was said, "... some players were not even registered but training with the club. It was just too much.” Thus, as you can see, some players are not registered with the Club; however, whether they are paid or not is what we don't know. In reality, why should they pay a player who is not registered with the Club? Anyway, ...
...agree, saw that part. But then it should not have been news for them to be sacked. You only sack a person you hired.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

mcal wrote:
Odas wrote:
...agree, saw that part. But then it should not have been news for them to be sacked. You only sack a person you hired.
I think only a certain number of players can be registered for the league (35 max in the NPFL)...
In that case, some players may have been employed by the club but not registered for league play.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TBH, I am not surprised that a Nigerian team carries that many players in its books. What is surprising, however, is that this involves Mighty Jets which is not owned by the state. In several state-owned clubs, there can be that many people listed as players. However, they are not all used. Instead, they are there on behest of big benefactors who issue letters requiring that they are hired and on the pay list of the clubs.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Enugu II wrote:TBH, I am not surprised that a Nigerian team carries that many players in its books. What is surprising, however, is that this involves Mighty Jets which is not owned by the state. In several state-owned clubs, there can be that many people listed as players. However, they are not all used. Instead, they are there on behest of big benefactors who issue letters requiring that they are hired and on the pay list of the clubs.
Who is responsible? why does the person
responsible never seems to be identified.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Clubs like Mighty jets because of their status carry the extra burden of being used to appease everyone especially if they are being funded by the govt. Everyone brings a relative to be employed even when the last time they kicked a ball was 30yrs ago in primary school.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho