Who agrees with this African XI

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

imehjunior
Egg
Egg
Who agrees with this African XI

Post by imehjunior »

[/video]
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
goldenera94
Egg
Egg
Re: Who agrees with this African XI

Post by goldenera94 »

The back line, out goes Radebe, Kuffour,and Geremi. In comes Keshi, Hani Ramzy, and Hard Man Kunde.
Goldenera94
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

This was definitely put together by a non African. Several on the team didn't do much on the African continent and no northern African. Essien, Geremi and Radebe are not solid choices.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

goldenera94 wrote:The back line, out goes Radebe, Kuffour,and Geremi. In comes Keshi, Hani Ramzy, and Hard Man Kunde.
For me, Nouredine Naybet in place of Hany Ramzy.
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Yawn.

Laurent Poku? Theophile Abega? Rashidi Yekini? Kalusha Bwalya? Hossam Hassan? Abedi Pele?
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

When Benni McCarthy dey make team, you know say de person head no dey house
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

deanotito wrote:When Benni McCarthy dey make team, you know say de person head no dey house

Based purely on AFCON stats he would be in the starting 11 not just on the bench.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote:
deanotito wrote:When Benni McCarthy dey make team, you know say de person head no dey house

Based purely on AFCON stats he would be in the starting 11 not just on the bench.
This is sacrilege my brother. Stop
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

deanotito wrote:
Chimurenga Rebel wrote:

This is sacrilege my brother. Stop
I swear.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Idika
Egg
Egg

Post by Idika »

No. I don't agree with this African XI.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

Not much to disagree with. Perhaps Geremi at LB and South African. But every one else has a legitimate claim to a spot
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote:Yawn.

Laurent Poku? Theophile Abega? Rashidi Yekini? Kalusha Bwalya? Hossam Hassan? Abedi Pele?
Yemeni and Bwalya over who? Eto? Drobga?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

What is the best African XI today though?
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

These threads are generally pointless though because it really is difficult to come up with an all time greatest 11.

For example how many teams where at AFCON in 68 and 70 when Laurent Poku was in his prime compared to when Drogba and Eto where in their prime?
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Any African XI without a player who won
  • 3x African player of the year awards
    UEFA Champions League
    2x French league
    African Cup of Nations
....and nominated twice for FIFA World Player of the Year

is a non starter
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Rawlings wrote:Any African XI without a player who won
    UEFA Champions League
    2x French league
    African Cup of Nations

is a non starter

Who could this be please. Weah did not win African Cup of Nations. Etoh did not play in the french league?
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

ANC wrote:
    UEFA Champions League
    2x French league
    African Cup of Nations
is a non starter
Who could this be please. Weah did not win African Cup of Nations. Etoh did not play in the french league?
:huh: Eto & Weah are both on the team, so it cannot be them
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Rawlings wrote:
ANC wrote:
    UEFA Champions League
    2x French league
    African Cup of Nations
is a non starter
:huh: Eto & Weah are both on the team, so it cannot be them
Pele.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I saw both Weah and Yekini in their primes, and I'd say Yekini was better. Quite a bit better
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

deanotito wrote:I saw both Weah and Yekini in their primes, and I'd say Yekini was better. Quite a bit better
Patriotism dey blind us all :winking:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

It does. Weah played for AC Milan and won World Footballer of the Year. Yekini played for a team that got relegated into the Portuguese second division.
Rawlings wrote:
deanotito wrote:I saw both Weah and Yekini in their primes, and I'd say Yekini was better. Quite a bit better
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

wiseone wrote:It does. Weah played for AC Milan and won World Footballer of the Year. Yekini played for a team that got relegated into the Portuguese second division.
Rawlings wrote:
Its a personal opinion based on watching both play against world class and non-world class opposition. I'd take Yekini in his prime any day.

Weah's goal scoring stats are actually pretty unimpressive...but to each his own. No Nigerian player has placed higher than Kanu on World Footballer of the Year rankings (top 10), and no player is more decorated, trophy wise. Is Kanu then the best Nigerian footballer ever????
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

No. Context is required. Weah played for AC Milan at a time when they were one of the best 3-4 teams in the world at a time when the Italian Serie A was the best league in the world. Before that he played for Monaco and PSG in an era where they were also among the best teams in the world and at a time when French teams regularly reached the latter stages of European football competitions. He won world footballer of the year while playing in an era where Romario, Ronaldo (the original one), Baggio, Zidane, Rivaldo, Bebeto, Sammer, Matthaus, Shearer, Giggs, Seedorf, Kluivert, Gullit, Djorkaeff, Bergkamp were still active. For an African to be voted world footballer of the year ahead of those guys is quite a statement.

Yekini played
deanotito wrote:
wiseone wrote:It does. Weah played for AC Milan and won World Footballer of the Year. Yekini played for a team that got relegated into the Portuguese second division.
Rawlings wrote:
Its a personal opinion based on watching both play against world class and non-world class opposition. I'd take Yekini in his prime any day.

Weah's goal scoring stats are actually pretty unimpressive...but to each his own. No Nigerian player has placed higher than Kanu on World Footballer of the Year rankings (top 10), and no player is more decorated, trophy wise. Is Kanu then the best Nigerian footballer ever????