Who agrees with this African XI

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Who agrees with this African XI

Post by deanotito »

wiseone wrote:No. Context is required. Weah played for AC Milan at a time when they were one of the best 3-4 teams in the world at a time when the Italian Serie A was the best league in the world. Before that he played for Monaco and PSG in an era where they were also among the best teams in the world and at a time when French teams regularly reached the latter stages of European football competitions. He won world footballer of the year while playing in an era where Romario, Ronaldo (the original one), Baggio, Zidane, Rivaldo, Bebeto, Sammer, Matthaus, Shearer, Giggs, Seedorf, Kluivert, Gullit, Djorkaeff, Bergkamp were still active. For an African to be voted world footballer of the year ahead of those guys is quite a statement.

Yekini played
deanotito wrote:
wiseone wrote:It does. Weah played for AC Milan and won World Footballer of the Year. Yekini played for a team that got relegated into the Portuguese second division.
Rawlings wrote:
deanotito wrote:I saw both Weah and Yekini in their primes, and I'd say Yekini was better. Quite a bit better
Patriotism dey blind us all :winking:
Its a personal opinion based on watching both play against world class and non-world class opposition. I'd take Yekini in his prime any day.

Weah's goal scoring stats are actually pretty unimpressive...but to each his own. No Nigerian player has placed higher than Kanu on World Footballer of the Year rankings (top 10), and no player is more decorated, trophy wise. Is Kanu then the best Nigerian footballer ever????

Bros, we could go on and on about the quality of players in different eras. When Cristiano Ronaldo and co were scoring 50 goals a season, would you also want to list all the players they played along side. I know Weah...saw him play a bunch, and I understand his game. He was scoring 15 goals a season, and you now want us to off pant? When Kanu was rated top 10, he was playing against and with a lot of the same greats you named....so does that mean Kanu is Nigeria's greatest ever???

AC Milan was a machine...Italian football was a machine....and Weah was part of that....but his legend is a lot bigger than his play. You notice I did not say I would choose Yekini over Eto'o....but Weah? Thats an easy choice for me.

There are a whole host of strikers I would take before Weah. Give me 90-94 Yekini, and its not even a contest in my mind.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet