The Wayne Rooney Phenom: "Empty Calories"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
The Wayne Rooney Phenom: "Empty Calories"

Post by deanotito »

One of my favorite sports analysts uses the term "empty calories" to describe the statistics of players that look good on paper, but never amounted to much for their clubs.

When I think of Wayne Rooney, I can't help but remember that term.

I thought Sir Alex was crazy when he gave him that 300k/week deal midway through his Man U career. Didn't think he deserved it then, and after all these years, still don't understand the Wayne Rooney draw. Whenever he was on the international or even Champions League stage, did Wayne really ever deliver?

I can't think of a considerable period in the last 13 where Wayne Rooney was "the man" for Manchester United, or one where his presence was really determinant in their being successful. After 13 years at one club, the stats look near-amazing, but can one really consider Wayne Rooney world class? Did his performance really amount to much or put another way, did Wayne ever pass the "eye test"?
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Wayne Rooney Phenom: "Empty Calories"

Post by marko »

H is English, that says a lot
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

deanotito wrote:One of my favorite sports analysts uses the term "empty calories" to describe the statistics of players that look good on paper, but never amounted to much for their clubs.

I thought Sir Alex was crazy when he gave him that 300k/week deal midway through his Man U career. Didn't think he deserved it then, and after all these years, still don't understand the Wayne Rooney draw. Whenever he was on the international or even Champions League stage, did Wayne really ever deliver?

I can't think of a considerable period in the last 13 where Wayne Rooney was "the man" for Manchester United, or one where his presence was really determinant in their being successful. After 13 years at one club, the stats look near-amazing, but can one really consider Wayne Rooney world class? Did his performance really amount to much or put another way, did Wayne ever pass the "eye test"?
Wayne Rooney sacrificed his career to help CR7 shine.

IMHO, he should have left ManU instead of forcing them to sign serious talent and signing that last contract.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Leading goalscorer for club and country, zero calories has never been so calorific. Have never subscribed to the cult of Wayne Rooney, but to call such feats empty calories is to draw lips either side of the a*shole and talk.
Last edited by Coach on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I remember the year ManU lost to Barca in the CL final, Rooney was on fire that season before he broke his metatarsals.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo were amazing in 2007/2008. Also he had a great Euro 2004.
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

kofi86 wrote:Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo were amazing in 2007/2008. Also he had a great Euro 2004.
Yes.....finally someone who knows history. Deanotito ...too much isi-ewu dey affect persin memory oh!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

:lol: What a thread. You need to be stopped before you damage the kids. His record is there for all to see. Stats, trophies etc. I blame LVG and Mourinho.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

deanotito wrote:One of my favorite sports analysts uses the term "empty calories" to describe the statistics of players that look good on paper, but never amounted to much for their clubs.

And yet he's the all-time highest scorer for arguably England's most illustrious club? You think he did that by breaking 100 and something goals record scored by the previous record scorer?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

oloye wrote:
kofi86 wrote:Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo were amazing in 2007/2008. Also he had a great Euro 2004.
Yes.....finally someone who knows history. Deanotito ...too much isi-ewu dey affect persin memory oh!
I saw this post, thought he added LOL in his post but alas he didn't which means he was really serious. WOW!!!
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

anointed wrote:

And yet he's the all-time highest scorer for arguably England's most illustrious club? You think he did that by breaking 100 and something goals record scored by the previous record scorer?
Again, like I said, the stats are near-amazing. He's had his international and club position uncontested for near 15 years, but what did England do in those years? And can we really say Rooney made Man U tick? I don't think so. This is why I used the term "empty calories". There are calories alright...but...
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

oloye wrote:
Kofi and Oloye, we had to go back 13 years?? To the very beginning of his Man U career....where he was ably supported by probably 2 top 5 players???

I don't mean to imply that Wayne is useless....but in the pantheon of strikers, could we really consider Wayne high up there?

I see this phenom in american football all the time....basketball too....some players just light up the stats board, but it never really amounts to much...just stats
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

deanotito wrote:
oloye wrote:
Kofi and Oloye, we had to go back 13 years?? To the very beginning of his Man U career....where he was ably supported by probably 2 top 5 players???

I don't mean to imply that Wayne is useless....but in the pantheon of strikers, could we really consider Wayne high up there?

I see this phenom in american football all the time....basketball too....some players just light up the stats board, but it never really amounts to much...just stats

Not a good comparison with American Football and Basketball. Those "empty stat" players usually are known for being such because their teams never amount to anything much regardless of their empty stats. No one can say that about Rooney and United. Plus, even such statements require further parsing because you have players in American Football like Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders who both played for the Lions, Eric d#$% who played for the Rams and then the Colts, among so many other players that you might consider "empty stat players". Those players despite playing on teams that never came close to winning squad, put up such stats that even Stevie Wonder would be able to see that they were being held back by their crappy teams and they weren't just merely empty stat players. Hence the reason those players, 2 of the 3 i mentioned are already in the Hall of Fame and one will be a future Hall of Famer.

Rooney wasn't good merely because United was a good team. If Rooney stayed at Everton, he would have been the "empty stat" player you refer to. Instead he made the move to United to face greater competition and rise to the challenge which he did.

In the pantheon of strikers in the Premier League and European Football, it would take a hater of the highest order to not consider the all time leading scorer for one of the greatest clubs in English Football and the 2nd all time leading scorer in Premier League history as not being up their in the pantheon of great strikers.
Last edited by F360 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

--------------------------------------------
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

deanotito wrote:
anointed wrote:

Again, like I said, the stats are near-amazing. He's had his international and club position uncontested for near 15 years, but what did England do in those years? And can we really say Rooney made Man U tick? I don't think so. This is why I used the term "empty calories". There are calories alright...but...

To say his international and club position were uncontested IS REACHING of the highest order.
Did Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Carlos Tevez, Louis Saha, Dimitar Berbatov, Robin Van Persie, Danny Welbeck and Chicharito not play for United in the same period that Rooney played for the club? So Rooney faced no competition from any of those players?

Is it Rooneys fault that England had a bunch of mediocre strikers in the 2000s? That didn't stop him from taking his opportunities in front of goal well and ending up being the leading scorer ever for England. Plus, even if England didn't do much in his time internationally, England didn't do much when they had legends like Alan Shearer and Gary Lineker. (Taking into consideration Euro 96 and Italia 90).

F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Coach wrote:Leading goalscorer for club and country, zero calories has never been so calorific. Have subscribed to the cult of Wayne Rooney, but to call such feats empty calories is to draw lips either side of the a*shole and talk.
Preach!

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

great white hype
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
oloye wrote:

Not a good comparison with American Football and Basketball. Those "empty stat" players usually are known for being such because their teams never amount to anything much regardless of their empty stats. No one can say that about Rooney and United. Plus, even such statements require further parsing because you have players in American Football like Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders who both played for the Lions, Eric d#$% who played for the Rams and then the Colts, among so many other players that you might consider "empty stat players". Those players despite playing on teams that never came close to winning squad, put up such stats that even Stevie Wonder would be able to see that they were being held back by their crappy teams and they weren't just merely empty stat players. Hence the reason those players, 2 of the 3 i mentioned are already in the Hall of Fame and one will be a future Hall of Famer.

Rooney wasn't good merely because United was a good team. If Rooney stayed at Everton, he would have been the "empty stat" player you refer to. Instead he made the move to United to face greater competition and rise to the challenge which he did.

In the pantheon of strikers in the Premier League and European Football, it would take a hater of the highest order to not consider the all time leading scorer for one of the greatest clubs in English Football and the 2nd all time leading scorer in Premier League history as not being up their in the pantheon of great strikers.
Your last statement was a parse. You use the stats to justify where he should be rated, but that is exactly what I was hitting against. It's why I started this thread. I know what the stats say...but stats never tell the whole story in sports and sometimes, can be misleading. When I compare Wayne to top class opposition, he just doesn't measure up. When did he ever show up like Messi or Ronaldo to get his team over the hump when they were playing comparable opposition? You play Barca and you know who to worry about. Real? That's easy too. You think Man U's continental rivals were losing sleep over Rooney??

Forget Messi or Ronaldo...Lets go down a notch to Suarez, Henry, Eto'o...and their sort. Which one is Rooney better than, or even comparable to?? Over the last 13 years, Rooney probably has a better goal/game ratio than any other major player, save for Messi and Ronaldo. Is that where you'd place him? At number 3???? Is that what your eyes tell you?

This is what I mean by empty calories. The stats say Rooney is one of the best in Europe...maybe even top 5 strikers over the last 10 years. But can you seriously make that claim yourself?? That's essentially what I mean by Empty Calories
Last edited by deanotito on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
anointed wrote:

To say his international and club position were uncontested IS REACHING of the highest order.
Did Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Carlos Tevez, Louis Saha, Dimitar Berbatov, Robin Van Persie, Danny Welbeck and Chicharito not play for United in the same period that Rooney played for the club? So Rooney faced no competition from any of those players?

Is it Rooneys fault that England had a bunch of mediocre strikers in the 2000s? That didn't stop him from taking his opportunities in front of goal well and ending up being the leading scorer ever for England. Plus, even if England didn't do much in his time internationally, England didn't do much when they had legends like Alan Shearer and Gary Lineker. (Taking into consideration Euro 96 and Italia 90).
Bros, competition did not come from Ruud, Tevez, RVP. Rooney played alongside them...and when he grew uncomfortable struggling for goals, he asked Sir Alex to switch him to a play maker.

Welbeck, Chicarito and Berbatov were not on his level...at least not when they played for Man U. So the closest thing to competition was Saha.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Coach wrote:Leading goalscorer for club and country, zero calories has never been so calorific. Have subscribed to the cult of Wayne Rooney, but to call such feats empty calories is to draw lips either side of the a*shole and talk.
:clap: :clap:
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

deanotito wrote:
F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
oloye wrote:

Your last statement was a parse. You use the stats to justify where he should be rated, but that is exactly what I was hitting against. It's why I started this thread. I know what the stats say...but stats never tell the whole story in sports and sometimes, can be misleading. When I compare Wayne to top class opposition, he just doesn't measure up. When did he ever show up like Messi or Ronaldo to get his team over the hump when they were playing comparable opposition? You play Barca and you know who to worry about. Real? That's easy too. You think Man U's continental rivals were losing sleep over Rooney??
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 20703.html
Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has highlighted former team-mate Wayne Rooney as the main danger when they face Manchester United in the Champions League final at Wembley on Saturday.“He is one of the best strikers in the world and has scored a lot of goals,” said Pique “It was always difficult playing against him in training as it is with Lionel Messi now,” added Pique.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8584868.stm
Bayern Munich president and Germany legend Franz Beckenbauer admits Wayne Rooney poses a major threat to his side's Champions League hopes.He is doing an absolutely fantastic job for Manchester United," said Beckenbauer of the England striker.
"It is not easy to score 33 goals for your club in England, or anywhere else.
"He is a brilliant player who is playing better than ever. We at Bayern will fear him when we play United in the Champions League quarter-finals."
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ty-7263575

Forget Messi or Ronaldo...Lets go down a notch to Suarez, Henry, Eto'o...and their sort. Which one is Rooney better than, or even comparable to?? Over the last 13 years, Rooney probably has a better goal/game ratio than any other major player, save for Messi and Ronaldo. Is that where you'd place him? At number 3???? Is that what your eyes tell you?

This is what I mean by empty calories. The stats say Rooney is one of the best in Europe...maybe even top 5 strikers over the last 10 years. But can you seriously make that claim yourself?? That's essentially what I mean by Empty Calories

Yes I can make that claim that he's been one of the best strikers in Europe over the top 10 years. If not top 5 then definitely top 10.
If you have a problem with that claim then I feel you are just reaching.

F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

deanotito wrote:
F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
anointed wrote:

Bros, competition did not come from Ruud, Tevez, RVP. Rooney played alongside them...and when he grew uncomfortable struggling for goals, he asked Sir Alex to switch him to a play maker.

Welbeck, Chicarito and Berbatov were not on his level...at least not when they played for Man U. So the closest thing to competition was Saha.
If he wasn't at his best, Sir Alex wouldn't have played him alongside them. Sir Alex wanted a striker partnership.
Plus, it's not his fault that teams weren't going to a 1 striker formation back in the 2000s to the extent they are now.

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
anointed wrote:

If he wasn't at his best, Sir Alex wouldn't have played him alongside them. Sir Alex wanted a striker partnership.
Plus, it's not his fault that teams weren't going to a 1 striker formation back in the 2000s to the extent they are now.
Didn't say it was his fault. I was simply responding to your soft allusion that he beat RVP, Tevez and Ruud for the job. He didn't.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
F360 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
oloye wrote:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 20703.html
Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has highlighted former team-mate Wayne Rooney as the main danger when they face Manchester United in the Champions League final at Wembley on Saturday.“He is one of the best strikers in the world and has scored a lot of goals,” said Pique “It was always difficult playing against him in training as it is with Lionel Messi now,” added Pique.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8584868.stm
Bayern Munich president and Germany legend Franz Beckenbauer admits Wayne Rooney poses a major threat to his side's Champions League hopes.He is doing an absolutely fantastic job for Manchester United," said Beckenbauer of the England striker.
"It is not easy to score 33 goals for your club in England, or anywhere else.
"He is a brilliant player who is playing better than ever. We at Bayern will fear him when we play United in the Champions League quarter-finals."
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ty-7263575

Yes I can make that claim that he's been one of the best strikers in Europe over the top 10 years. If not top 5 then definitely top 10.
If you have a problem with that claim then I feel you are just reaching.
If you think Wayne is one of the top 10 strikers in europe over the last 10 years, then my reach certainly can't get to you. You are unreachable. Answer me this. Is Prime Rooney better than Prime Eto'o, Prime Henry or Prime Suarez?? Those are only 3 strikers...lets not even go down the list.

Pique on his own was either making a lame attempt at humility or just messing with the universe....Messi, my arse. Rooney and Messi for the same sentence...Pique is a goat for even thinking that.