Aiyenugba May Be Recalled to SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Aiyenugba May Be Recalled to SE

Post by Gotti »

asabatex wrote:It is over... :cry:
Enugu II wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Not quite the same circumstances, but hope the Aiyenugba recall doesn't end up being like Rufai's recall in 98. I remember Rufai being called in 98 after an injury to Ike Shorunmu, and after we lost 3-0 in a friendly to Yugoslavia.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

truetalk wrote:
mystic wrote:
truetalk wrote:
truetalk wrote:
mystic wrote:
truetalk wrote:
john12 wrote:There was a goalkeeper that kept for us against Brazil in a u23 friendly prior to Olympics. The keeper was A1. Maybe, we can consider him
There were 2 goalies in that game, but I think you are talking of Daniel. Olorunleke came in as a sub after Daniel got injured.

Daniel is a good goalie & I think he was with Rangers. The problem was he became a sub when he got back. He may have even been no. 3 as there was a foreigner & another guy (had a Benue name like Idoko or something) manning the posts in the games I saw for Rangers earlier in the season.

Now that DSTV has fraudulently taken the NPFL off air, we can't even track anybody at home anymore.

I'm just going to have to start going to Agege Stadium at this rate.

Olurunleke did not feature in that game. Rather it was Yusuf Mohammed that came in for the sparkling Emmanuel Daniel.
You wanna bet? I'm tired of letting people off the hook after speaking Opaks on this site.
Actually, I'll let you off the hook. The Brazilian commentator calls the keeper Yusuf, but I think that is Olorunleke. Fellow Armchair analysts, who is the keeper at the end of this highlight.

[/video]

Why are asking for help?

If you are so sure that you are right that you rushed to make sure that a so called Opaks yarner would not be let off the hook, rather than cross-checking your facts, then a YouTube video should not be confusing you. Or could it be that you actually have no clue what you are talking about?

Ewu Kafanchan!

See did man!

At least, I will admit when I'm not so sure.

Recollecting from the time the game was played, I saw a tall 'yellow' youth level keeper replace Daniel, and it looked like Olorunleke, especially since he was in the mix for youth teams at the time. I assumed to Portuguese commentator was making a mistake.

I could not find the complete team list for the team we put out for the friendly. Lots of reports with the name of some of the players that featured, but none with the complete team list.

Anyway, thanks for the correction.

No worries TT. We all make mistakes from time to time.
Edu
Egg
Egg

Post by Edu »

That yellow keeper was Yusuf. He was in Siasia's Atlanta camp with Daniel and Akpeyi.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

asabatex wrote:May God help us..... :(
Ahidjo wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Exclusive – Dele Aiyenugba Set For Shock Recall To Super Eagles Unless Enyeama Make …..
July 9, 2017061
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/09/ex ... eama-make/

Former Super Eagles first choice goalkeeper Dele Aiyenugba could be in line for a shock recall to the senior national team of Nigeria, owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

Present first choice of the senior national team of Nigeria Carl Ikeme might be forced into a premature retirement as he has been diagnosed to be having acute Leukaemia, which has further deepens the goalkeeper crisis rocking the national team of Nigeria.

Coach Gernot Rohr used Daniel Akpeyi ‎in the absence of Ikeme, but the Chippa United man failed to impress in the Eagles last game against South Africa which ended 0-2 in favour of Bafana Bafana in Uyo in the AFCON 2019 Qualifiers.

Unsatisfied with Akpeyi’s display in the game, the coach is looking for experienced shot stopper ahead of Nigeria’s World Cup 2018 qualifiers back to back ‎game against Cameroon in August and September, as he believes Dele Alampasu isn’t ready yet for a game of that magnitude.
2016/2017

[/video]

[/video]
This 2016 highlights are not bad - looks like he is doing well. cant be worst than Akpeyi
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Gotti wrote:
asabatex wrote:It is over... :cry:
Enugu II wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
If only I was a troublemaker.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Now even Babamessi wants a recall to the team :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/07/14/b ... -cameroon/

Na wah O!
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

pajimoh wrote:
Damunk wrote:This is the perfect moment for Enyeama to announce his return to the national team.
It's pretty evident now that we have a serious goalkeeping crisis.

To think that a few months ago some people were yarning serious opaks, saying that we were 'covered' in that department. :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=279774
After checking to make sure I'm not one of the opak yarners in the previous thread :sneaky: I have to say there was nothing wrong with their views.

No one could have foreseen the unfortunate circumstances regarding Ikeme. In any case one has to question the inability of a whole country like Nigeria been unable to develop 3 or 4 decent goalkeepers.

Players are entitled to retie ans remain retired. It is up to the institutions to be forward thinking.
Years ago, when people first started talking about a Nigerian goalkeeper with Wolves in the English 2nd division, I did a little internet research on him (and was surprised to find that the NFA/NFF and the manager, Vogts I think, proceeded to talk to the Wolves' other keeper Matt Murray instead, weirdly unaware of which goalkeeper was the "Nigerian").

The thing I noticed about his career at that time was that he had periods where he would begin to establish himself as the #1 at Wolves, and then he would suffer an injury that would rule him out for a while. I don't know that it happened enough to call him "injury prone", and I don't think he was to blame for injuries caused by collisions and stuff like that, but he was injured enough times that when the Eagles began to start him, I expected we would at some point need someone to step in to replace him. Managers do take note of a player's injury record when deciding whether to sign him, so it is a "normal" way of thinking of things. Obviously, I didn't think it would be cancer that would necessitate replacing him (and I wish him full recovery/remission/health/etc) .... but it is not entirely accurate to say it was not "foreseeable" that we would likely need a solid replacement for him.

PS: Never mind that all serious national and club teams need a solid #2 regardless .... which is the real indictment of Nigerian football. For most of the last 20 years we've had squads with a solid #1 goalkeeper, but #2s and #3s that we all hoped we were not forced to rely on. And sometimes we didn't even have a solid #1. Am I the only one who thinks we could/would have gone further at the 1998 World Cup, and possibly won the 2000 Nations Cup final, if the goalkeepers were different?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

The Eagle wrote:Am I the only one who thinks we could/would have gone further at the 1998 World Cup, and possibly won the 2000 Nations Cup final, if the goalkeepers were different?
Possibly though perhaps not.

We lost Joseph Dosu to a career-ending injury just a year or so before France 1998; and Bora tried Shorunmu and Baruwa in friendlies before WC98 before settling on Rufai. Shorunmu may have been the better option but didn't even make the squad. Nigeria didn't have any decent GK alternatives at the time. Same with CAN 2000.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
The Eagle wrote:Am I the only one who thinks we could/would have gone further at the 1998 World Cup, and possibly won the 2000 Nations Cup final, if the goalkeepers were different?

We lost Joseph Dosu to a career-ending injury just a year or so before France 1998; and Bora tried Shorunmu and Baruwa in friendlies before WC98 before settling on Rufai. Shorunmu may have been the better option but didn't even make the squad. Nigeria didn't have any decent GK alternatives at the time. Same with CAN 2000.
Shorunmu was the definite starter, but broke his hand a few weeks to the WC. He was starting even when Dosu was available. I believe Shorunmu started even for WCQ that brought them all to Lagos when Dosu had the car accident after the match.

Baruwa had his dribbling stunt against Yugoslavia and everyone went into panic and Rufai was recalled. He should not have accepted and it was a poor end to a glorious National team career.

The 98 team had its issues. In addition to the Keeper issues, the young RB Jero Shakpoke got injured and Bora settled for a poor Oparaku.

Kanu and Amokachi ruined the team with their political hobnobbing with Abacha (who died just before the WC started anyway). Deserving players like Chris Ohenhen and Jonathan Akpoborie were left off the team.

I've said it before, the 98 team was probably the poorest Nigerian team to a WC. In every other WC since USA 94 (including the 2006 WC we failed to qualify for), we could have made the semi finals but always self destruct due to admin and 'chua-chua'.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

The YeyeMan wrote:

That is what I mean. I wasn't suggesting using a different "existing" goalkeeper, but rather that we did not have any goalkeeper of a certain quality, and my suggestion is that if we had had one, some of our results may have turned out differently. I am sure you would agree with me that we've had matches where Enyeama's shot-stopping kept us competitive in a match or preserved a vital result.

There is a stronger argument to be made for possibly beating Cameroun in 2000 with a better keeper than Sorunmu. We probably would also have needed a striking pair more "prolific" than Kanu and Ndukwe, though we had Aghahowa on the bench, and he had shown against Senegal the scoring form that would make him our most consistent finisher in the next 3-4 years.

The argument is weaker for 1998, because our if-you-score-15-we-will-not-score-16 "defence" would have put any keeper under too much pressure. Still, Rufai gave up some "soft" goals.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

The Eagle wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

That is what I mean. I wasn't suggesting using a different "existing" goalkeeper, but rather that we did not have any goalkeeper of a certain quality, and my suggestion is that if we had had one, some of our results may have turned out differently. I am sure you would agree with me that we've had matches where Enyeama's shot-stopping kept us competitive in a match or preserved a vital result.

There is a stronger argument to be made for possibly beating Cameroun in 2000 with a better keeper than Sorunmu. We probably would also have needed a striking pair more "prolific" than Kanu and Ndukwe, though we had Aghahowa on the bench, and he had shown against Senegal the scoring form that would make him our most consistent finisher in the next 3-4 years.

The argument is weaker for 1998, because our if-you-score-15-we-will-not-score-16 "defence" would have put any keeper under too much pressure. Still, Rufai gave up some "soft" goals.
Baruwa was a better option than Rufai at the time. We all panicked over his Yugoslavia brain fart & it seems Bora was just coming to get a pay cheque.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

truetalk wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Baruwa was a better option than Rufai at the time. We all panicked over his Yugoslavia brain fart & it seems Bora was just coming to get a pay cheque.
Baruwa was USELESS beyond belief...
And Willy Opara (who was shining on the continent) was not much better.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The Eagle wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

The was little Shorunmu could have done at CAN 2000 with a defense starring Furo Iyenemi and Okpara/Okunowo as starters...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Gotti wrote:
truetalk wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Baruwa was USELESS beyond belief...
And Willy Opara (who was shining on the continent) was not much better.
He was OK as the 3rd option behind Ike & Dosu, and would have been a better option than the 98 version of Rufai.

Not that it would have made a difference. Injuries and politics had already severely limited the potential of that team.