CHAN TEAM NAMED AFTER APPROVAL....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
CHAN TEAM NAMED AFTER APPROVAL....

Post by Enugu II »

30 CHAN Eagles named, Chima Akas, Ezenwa, Osas Okoro, Aggreh recalled, team train in Kaduna
By admin - July 10, 2017236 0
http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/07/10/3 ... in-kaduna/

The squad are to begin training from this weekend in Kaduna.

Kano Pillars durable midfielder Rabiu Ali, who featured at the 2014 CHAN in South Africa, has also been named in the team.

Nigeria will play off against either Togo or Benin Republic next month for a place in next year’s tournament in Kenya.

As SCORENigeria first reported, Katsina United skipper Nasiru Sani, Samuel Matthias of El Kanemi Warriors and Emeka Atuloma from Rivers United are among the fresh call-ups to the squad.

Who said it first?

The full squad:

GOALKEEPERS: Theophilus Afelokhai (Enyimba), Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC Ifeanyiubah), Dele Ajiboye (Plateau United), Okiemute Odah(Lobi Stars)

DEFENDERS: Nasiru Sani (Katsina United), Stephen Eze (FC Ifeanyiubah), Elijah Golbe (Plateau United), Jamiu Alimi (Kano Pillars), Emmanuel Ariwachukwu (Akwa United), Chima Akas (Enyimba), Orji Kalu (Rangers), Chinedu Ajanah (ABS FC)

MIDFIELDERS: Hafiz Aremu (Akwa United),Rabiu Ali (Kano Pillars), Thomas Zenke (Nasarawa United), Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Alhassan Ibrahim ‘Muazzam’ (Akwa United), Austin Oladapo (Gombe United), Raphael Ayagwa (Lobi Stars), Samuel Matthias (El Kanemi Warriors), Chiamaka Madu (Rangers), Emeka Atuloma (Rivers United)

FORWARDS:Stephen Odey, Sikiru Olatunbosun (MFM FC), Osas Okoro (Rangers) Ifeanyi George (Rangers), Sunday Adetunji (Abia Warriors), Kingsley Eduwo (Lobi Stars), Prince Aggreh (FC Ifeanyiubah),Mfon Udoh (Enyimba)

By Kola Daniel
NFF technical committee praises CHAN Eagles selection
By admin - July 10, 2017280 0
http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/07/10/n ... selection/

The NFF technical committee has praised the list of 30 players picked by coach Salisu Yusuf for next month’s CHAN 2018 qualifiers against either Togo or Benin Republic.

“We are very, very happy with the selection, very interesting. It shows he is working, he has picked the best,” technical committee member Paul Bassey told reporters after their meeting today in Abuja.

“If we do for the Super Eagles what we did today, maybe Cameroon will be in trouble (for next month’s 2018 World Cup qualifiers).”

Nigeria will face either Togo or Benin Republic in the second round of the qualifiers in August after the two sides faceoff in the West African Zone B first round qualifying stage.

The home and away fixtures for the qualifying matches between Togo and Benin Republic will be played on July 16 and 23 respectively with Togo hosting the first leg this weekend in Lome.

Nigeria, 2014 bronze medallists, will lock horns with the winners of a preliminary fixture between the West African neighbours, with the first leg taking place on the weekend of 11th-13th August and the return leg in Nigeria on Saturday, 19th August.
Nigeria League Expert Blast Salisu Yusuf 30 Man List For CHAN Qualifiers
July 10, 2017010
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/10/ni ... ualifiers/

An ardent follower of the Nigeria Professional Football League Mohammed Mowiz Suleiman has taken a swipe at coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Salisu Yusuf, who recently released a 30 man list for the 2018 Total African Nations Championship (CHAN) Qualifiers tie against the winner of the clash between Togo and Benin Republic.

The tournament which is for players based in the domestic league is held every two years, and Nigeria have twice qualified for the Championship in 2014 and 2016 respectively, and will be hoping to be at the 2018 edition.

Former Kano Pillars manager Salisu Yusuf ‎ has been mandated by coach Gernot Rohr to handle the team, and the coach has taken the first step in that direction by calling up 30 players for a camping exercise in Kaduna later this month.

Mowiz as he is popularly called has watched all teams in the league this season at least twice, and aside been a journalist he is part of an extensive network of scouts monitoring players of the Nigeria Professional Football League.

Here is his take on the list.

Goalkeepers :

Theophilus Afelokhai has been in and out of the squad of Enyimba, while Okiemute Odah has hardly kept goal for Lobi Stars. I’m shock at the none inclusion of Suraj Ayeleso who is by far the best goalkeeper in the league this season, as a matter of fact the Nasarawa United man has more clean sheet than any goalkeeper this season. His none inclusion is a crime against football, especially as the goalkeeper trainer of his team happens to be one of the assistants of Yusuf.

Defenders:

So many names need explanation like Kalu Orji who isn’t the same player he was two years ago, and how on earth is Osas Okoro listed as a defender. We all know him as a winger. What about Chima Akas who hardly plays at Enyimba, the young boy Udoh Ikouwem has taken his spot.

Jamiu Alimi hasn’t played up to ten games this season, on what grounds was he picked? . Where is Daniel Itodo of Plateau United ?, what is ‎Nasiru Sani of Katsina United doing in the list?, heavy, slow and very poor defensively. This is sad.

Midfielders :

Douglas Achiv of Lobi Stars and Destiny Ashadi of Katsina United, and the MFM midfield dynamo Onuwa are the three players who have taken the league by storm as midfielders. Samuel Mathias of El-Kanemi Warriors is the one player in that list who clearly earned his spot in the team, and of course Alhassan Ibrahim just has to be there, by far a contender for the player of the season.

Attackers :

If at all a player will be picked in the attack of Gombe United it should be Afolabi Abdulwaheed and not Austine Oladapo who plays as a midfielder. Abdullahi, Kingsley Eduwo isn’t the top scorer at Lobi Stars, Anthony Okpotu is, so how was he not selected?

Where are the exciting prospects we have in the league in attack?. Sunday Faleye of Shooting Stars, Richard Jonathan of Wikki Tourist, Sanni Abanni of Gombe United, Victor Mboama of Remo Stars?

Finally :

I will score Salisu Yusuf 4/10, this list like I said on twitter has proven true the fact that you can’t trust a local coach with the job of the senior national team of Nigeria.

Osas Mahawi
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: CHAN TEAM NAMED AFTER APPROVAL....

Post by mystic »

Disappointing.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

confusion
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Don't really follow the league, so not sure what to make of the article. For those who follow the league, is there any merit to the criticism offered in the article? Number of clean sheets is not the only criteria for inviting goalies, so I'm not sure how Ayeleso or Aliko compare to the goalies invited. However, it does appear Salisu Yusuf invited most of the top scorers in the league, with the exception of Okpotu and Obaje.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

My view is that Salisu was attempting to keep the most recent CHAN team (2015/16) together as much as possible. He was one of the coaches at the time. However, what use is such a strategy? I do not believe it is particularly useful if some of those guys are not starting for their clubs. There are so many starters to choose from. This isn't like the full SE where you may have to settle with some bench guys as starters in top tier teams are few and far between.

Secondly, there are some names conspicuously absent. Take Onuwa of MFM who has reportedly made MFM midfield tick for two years now and yet his name is missing. You wonder if Rabiu Ali is still worth it at this stage. I see Ifeanyi George and Samuel Matthias listed which is good but where are the other youngsters mentioned by the media as exciting the league?

Personally, I wish the team success but late preparation is also going to be an issue. Togo has been in camp for a period and so are teams from other countries. Togo recently had a friendly with Ghana. IMHO, the preparation by the team this year is retrogressive and harkens back to the first two CHANs when Nigeria failed to qualify, until Keshi was appointed. Keshi made a difference by insisting that the team is camped every time that the regular SE was scheduled to play and he made sure that the best from that CHAN team trained with the regular SE. That was critical in Nigeria qualifying for the first ever CHAN finals and finishing with a medal. The same system was utilized under Oliseh and the team made it to the finals before imploding. This time, Nigeria has returned to the late camping model that produced losses at the qualifying stage to Ghana and to Niger Rep.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

The full squad:

GOALKEEPERS: Theophilus Afelokhai (Enyimba), Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC Ifeanyiubah), Dele Ajiboye (Plateau United), Okiemute Odah(Lobi Stars)

DEFENDERS: Nasiru Sani (Katsina United), Stephen Eze (FC Ifeanyiubah), Elijah Golbe (Plateau United), Jamiu Alimi (Kano Pillars), Emmanuel Ariwachukwu (Akwa United), Chima Akas (Enyimba), Orji Kalu (Rangers), Chinedu Ajanah (ABS FC)

MIDFIELDERS: Hafiz Aremu (Akwa United),Rabiu Ali (Kano Pillars), Thomas Zenke (Nasarawa United), Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Alhassan Ibrahim ‘Muazzam’ (Akwa United), Austin Oladapo (Gombe United), Raphael Ayagwa (Lobi Stars), Samuel Matthias (El Kanemi Warriors), Chiamaka Madu (Rangers), Emeka Atuloma (Rivers United)

FORWARDS:Stephen Odey, Sikiru Olatunbosun (MFM FC), Osas Okoro (Rangers) Ifeanyi George (Rangers), Sunday Adetunji (Abia Warriors), Kingsley Eduwo (Lobi Stars), Prince Aggreh (FC Ifeanyiubah),Mfon Udoh (Enyimba)

Is this a Biafran Team :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

John Odumegwu didn't get a call up?

Curious, how come there is only 1 Rivers United player?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Not a bad squad, but criticism of the goalkeepers well deserved.

Odah was really good with Warri Wolves about 3 years ago, but he is hardly starting with his club these days.

Afelokhai was OK in Kano Pillars, as the keeper to the best team in the country at the time, but even then, there were better keepers in the league.

Ajiboye is what Afelokhai was 4 years ago, an OK keeper for the best team in the country.

I thought Thomas was good for Rivers against Club Africain, but he seems to be one of 3 keepers Stanley Eguma is using and might even be behind the very very old Sunday Rotimi in the rotation.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Salisu Yusuf backs CHAN Eagles invitee Nasiru Sani for Super Eagles
http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/07/20/s ... les-place/
By admin - July 20, 2017109 0
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

Nasiru Sani – Katsina United skipper can challenge for a place in the Super Eagles says coach Yusuf
Coach Salisu Yusuf has told SCORENigeria he believes Katsina United skipper Nasiru Sani can go on to challenge for a place in the Super Eagles after he called up the all-action left-back to the CHAN Eagles.

The coach also speaks on the preparations of the home-based Eagles of a CHAN qualifier against either Benin or Togo next month.

The interview:

SCORENIGERIA: Good day coach Salisu Yusuf, you have watched a local derby here at the Muhammadu Dikko Stadium in Katsina, what’s your take on the first 45 minutes?

SALISU YUSUF: Yes, it was a great first 45 minutes. Both teams played to expectations. Katsina United utilised their beautiful chance and got a goal.

I really appreciate all the players even those who were not invited (to CHAN Eagles), all of them are in my scouting report and they didn’t disappoint.

You just talked about your team, when is the CHAN training camp going to open and where?

We are reporting on Monday in Kano, we are going to train for two weeks in Kano before our match against Benin or Togo.

Salisu Yusuf – Super Eagles chief coach who is in charge of CHAN Eagles
Bulk of the players you invited are the players you have worked with previously, they played under you in the NPFL All-Star and the last CHAN. Are you are actually banking on experience?

Well, I invited the players based on the current form, they are really doing well and they have experience, which is an added advantage. All the players we invited deserved to be invited because they are good players but we still have good players out there.

We cannot conclude now that we have the final squad because we are going to CHAN, so the team is still open for players who are doing well.

Some fans are actually clamouring for Destiny Ashadi, the Katsina United central midfielder, to be included in your team, did you see anything in Ashadi as you are watching him now?

Well, when you are scouting, you have criteria. Destiny is a good player, a good central midfielder but if you look at the players we invited in his position, they are far ahead of him, they score goals, they create goals for their team but he’s a young player and I still hope he will soon come around.

Looking at the left full-back of the Super Eagles, it has been quite challenging of late and the Katsina United captain Nasiru Sani has been impressive right from Week 1 and you scouted and invited him, how confident are that Nasiru will justify his call-up?

You see, the first time I watched Katsina United against Plateau United in Jos, I took note of Nasiru, Timothy Danladi and Destiny Ashadi and they are still in my scouting report.

He is young, strong and he supports the attack, look at the way he supplied the pass that led to the goal and I think under a good atmosphere, he can even challenge for a place in the Super Eagles.

Thank you coach.

You are welcome

By Kola Daniel
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Kabalega wrote:John Odumegwu didn't get a call up?

Curious, how come there is only 1 Rivers United player?
Yeah, I was going to ask the same? It's one too many in my view :twisted:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!