Opportunities for Black coaches/Mgrs in England-Rooney Rule

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

F360
Egg
Egg
Opportunities for Black coaches/Mgrs in England-Rooney Rule

Post by F360 »

Just saw this article
The chair of anti-discrimination group Kick It Out has said sanctions should be enforced if Football League (EFL) clubs fail to interview black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates who have applied for jobs.

Lord Herman Ouseley said an EFL pilot of the Rooney Rule at academy level had worked to an extent, with 11 academy jobs going to BAME candidates.

All 72 EFL clubs signed up to the pilot, meaning they must include at least one BAME candidate on the shortlist for an academy post if such an application is received.
more here

http://kwese.espn.com/football/english- ... ooney-rule

This is the Rooney rule as used by the NFL

The Rooney Rule is a National Football League policy that requires league teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching and senior football operation jobs. It is sometimes cited as an example of affirmative action, though there is no quota or preference given to minorities in the hiring of candidates.[1][2][3] It was established in 2003, and variations of the rule are now in place in other industries.
What do you all think? Does something similar need to be implemented by clubs especially at the Premier League and Championship level in order to give potential minority managers/coaches a chance to be seen by club owners? Would it work?

--------------------------------------------
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Opportunities for Black coaches/Mgrs in England-Rooney R

Post by Enugu II »

F360,

It would make sense. The current situation where no Black coach seems good enough is clearly illogical when many have done well playing. What exists now is simply the use of an old boys network. As I mentioned earlier, the way football clubs select coaches currently leaves room for the current situation. In fact, if they are forced to publicly advertise the job, like is the case for most jobs, this old boys network will wilt away. It is just a traditional thing that makes little sense in today's world. Utilizing the Rooney Rule will improve the process as well.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Enugu II wrote:F360,

It would make sense. The current situation where no Black coach seems good enough is clearly illogical when many have done well playing. What exists now is simply the use of an old boys network. As I mentioned earlier, the way football clubs select coaches currently leaves room for the current situation. In fact, if they are forced to publicly advertise the job, like is the case for most jobs, this old boys network will wilt away. It is just a traditional thing that makes little sense in today's world. Utilizing the Rooney Rule will improve the process as well.

True, you're right on about the old boys network.
Exactly what the NFL had been dealing with/using for decades and I think the Rooney Rule definitely helped phase that out when it comes to coaching searches.

--------------------------------------------
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

F360 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:F360,

True, you're right on about the old boys network.
Exactly what the NFL had been dealing with/using for decades and I think the Rooney Rule definitely helped phase that out when it comes to coaching searches.
F360,

It surely would help and I think the clubs would be the better for it. It helps them diversify ideas and research has shown clearly that diversity leads to higher productivity. It will be unlikely that Black coaches will be hired, under the current system, when they do not even smell an opportunity. Think about this, an owner meets a coach in a bar and chat about past times and owner mentions current problems he is having in his club. The coach volunteers new ideas. The owner immediately decides that this guy is the guy for the job. Fact is that in such a condition the owner is hiring a guy from his social network -- they go to the same bar, they probably know each other from some association. That, IMHO, is insular. Yes, you may get away from this in various ways -- one is the Rooney rule, another is order a public advertisement of the job, or hire a firm to do the search. All these later options are all improvements over the old way that simply breeds insularity in the hiring process. This is exactly, why I state my opposition when I read that African FAs should copy such hiring process when in fact the job advertisement by African FAs is a more improved practice.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics