Nigeria's All Time Midfield Players.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria's All Time Midfield Players.....

Post by Enugu II »

Ehilegbu, though outstanding, played a mere 10 games. That is not enough to be considered among G.O.A.T. players. Same goes for Etim Esin and Sam Okwaraji who both played in about the same number of games.
Obi Mikel is the second currently active player that I have picked as a G.O.A.T. and I believe he is deserving. Subjectively, I do not believe Nigeria has ever had a greater passer of the ball. The closest is perhaps Muda Lawal but even Muda was not as good as Mikel in keeping possession.
Details can be found by clicking on the link below:
http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2017/07/t ... vol-2.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria's All Time Midfield Players.....

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Enugu II,
Can't fault ur choices for the midfield GOAT...
But there are 4 places on offer instead of 2; should be interesting to know how many forwards in your GOAT XI...(especially seeing u suggested 4 defenders in your earlier volume)

Where are the wide players?

And Okpala didn't have his best years as a midfielder for Nigeria; it was as a RB or Wing-Back)

Mike as the best passer of the ball? Are we considering the volume of passes, or the quality (efficiency)?
No sir. It's JJ Okocha.
I'd even put Mikel behind Muda Lawal & Oliseh in the passes category...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Mikel is a 'container' - i.e. a player with the ability to control the flow of the game against the opponent.
His designation at Chelsea under Mourinho took away his attacking abilities that always showed when he
played in an attacking mode.
Oliseh was more engage in the attack, which is why he can make those passes to the strikers and thus
earning him more assists.
Muda Lawal was has not much defensive abilities like Mikel or Oliseh, but can be said to be a better attacking
midfielder. He always had his eyes on scoring, which is why he has more goals than the two.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Enugu II wrote:
Ehilegbu, though outstanding, played a mere 10 games. That is not enough to be considered among G.O.A.T. players. Same goes for Etim Esin and Sam Okwaraji who both played in about the same number of games.
Obi Mikel is the second currently active player that I have picked as a G.O.A.T. and I believe he is deserving. Subjectively, I do not believe Nigeria has ever had a greater passer of the ball. The closest is perhaps Muda Lawal but even Muda was not as good as Mikel in keeping possession.
Chief ,

You make no mention of Garba Lawal .

Granted he had a lot of detractors but his work rate, versatility and longevity in the National Team colors at least should have triggered a serious look.
I am sure his numbers would mirror Oliseh's at the least
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

for me Mikel tops it
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

BAP wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Chief ,

You make no mention of Garba Lawal .

Granted he had a lot of detractors but his work rate, versatility and longevity in the National Team colors at least should have triggered a serious look.
I am sure his numbers would mirror Oliseh's at the least
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Nice choices E2, really hard to fault any of the finalists* I would have like to see the headmaster, Mutiu Adepoju considered due to his all around versatility.

* Ps: (ignore the sure hate that will call from the JJ bashers led by pink pinafor 1kobo). Any questioning of the finalists (especially Okocha) should lead to an automatic 1 week ban.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Enugu II wrote:
..a certain Nwankwo Kanu and maybe even JJ will beg to differ
Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Ahidjo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ahidjo »

Enugu II wrote:
Please where did you put Victor Moses? Is he being considered as a striker. One player that wins man of the match accolades almost every time he played for Nigeria, won AFCON in his first try and won the premiership his first real year with Chelsea. Just wondering because I saw a lot of heavily overrated and over-hyped local champions of the 70s and 80s that could not win anything tangible for Nigeria.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ahidjo wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Please where did you put Victor Moses? Is he being considered as a striker. One player that wins man of the match accolades almost every time he played for Nigeria, won AFCON in his first try and won the premiership his first real year with Chelsea. Just wondering because I saw a lot of heavily overrated and over-hyped local champions of the 70s and 80s that could not win anything tangible for Nigeria.
Ahidjo,

Kanu and Moses will be considered for forward positions but not sure if they will make it until one looks at the subjective and objective measures. In any case, most of the guys named are not overhyped, IMHO. There are guys that I personally would have liked but the stats and other measures do not get them there. Also note that data is based on what the player did for Nigeria so any foreign club achievements are not considered nor should they be considered.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote:
Enyeama, though an incredible shot stopper, has glaring weaknesses. He is still susceptible to crosses and set pieces. Okala had no weaknesses other then weak defenders and great strikers like Johnny Nwadioha.

I still insist that Godwin Achebe was our best defender ever. Except for length of service, Dominic Ezeani ought to receive serious consideration.

Looks like you are setting up for a 3-man attack. My picks soul be Rasheed Yekini, Nwankwo Kanu and Henry Nwosu :!:

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Enyeama, though an incredible shot stopper, has glaring weaknesses. He is still susceptible to crosses and set pieces. Okala had no weaknesses other then weak defenders and great strikers like Johnny Nwadioha.

I still insist that Godwin Achebe was our best defender ever. Except for length of service, Dominic Ezeani ought to receive serious consideration.

Looks like you are setting up for a 3-man attack. My picks soul be Rasheed Yekini, Nwankwo Kanu and Henry Nwosu :!:

Cheers.
TTTK,

I actually hoped, at the start, that Achebe would make the team but I just think the data and work of the others were better. Another person I really liked was Tony Igwe but the data stated otherwise. As for Ezeani, I do not see how he should be considered. He played so few games that he isn't even in the running.

I think you are selling Enyeama short. Okala had weaknesses as well and conceded but than we would like to remember. TBH, there may even be a case of Rufai over Okala.

On attack (less Nwosu), I like your picks but we shall see after I examine the subjective criteria and data.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Cheers.
I don't care what parameters are used; any attack without Segun Odegbami is flawed...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly