Enyeama: To Recall or Not?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Enyeama: To Recall or Not?

Post by Dammy »

The unavailability of Carl Ikeme for the SE's crucial WCQs against Cameroon has led to the call for the recall of former SE goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama back to the SE fold. Reading Oloye's comments on another thread telling Enyeama to be careful about destroying his legacy makes me have a rethink about inviting Enyeama. I remember how Chairman Christian Chukwu was recalled out of retirement in 1981 for the crucial WCQs against Algeria on the back of a media frenzy. The great man ended up tarnishing his reputation as he was blamed for Nigeria's loss and was hauled off at half-time to be replaced by Stephen Keshi. Chukwu carried the can for Nigeria's failure to qualify for the 1982 world cup.
Akpeyi has not inspired much confidence and while Alampasu is untested at this level, it is pertinent to point out that he has had more experience i.e. U17, U20 and a professional career, than Enyeama when he was thrown in at the deep end against England in the 2002 WC in South Korea and he acquainted himself very well.
CEs do we take a chance with Alampasu, retain Akpeyi or recall Enyeama for the crucial matches against Cameroon in September?
I am happy
walesvilla
Egg
Egg
Re: Enyeama: To Recall or Not?

Post by walesvilla »

No No No- his body language says i do not want to comeback - so just leave him alone.

if that will cost Nigeria worldcup, so be it heaven will not fall. If Nigeria can not develop 4 or 5 decent keepers its not Enyeama fault
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:The unavailability of Carl Ikeme for the SE's crucial WCQs against Cameroon has led to the call for the recall of former SE goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama back to the SE fold. Reading Oloye's comments on another thread telling Enyeama to be careful about destroying his legacy makes me have a rethink about inviting Enyeama. I remember how Chairman Christian Chukwu was recalled out of retirement in 1981 for the crucial WCQs against Algeria on the back of a media frenzy. The great man ended up tarnishing his reputation as he was blamed for Nigeria's loss and was hauled off at half-time to be replaced by Stephen Keshi. Chukwu carried the can for Nigeria's failure to qualify for the 1982 world cup.
Akpeyi has not inspired much confidence and while Alampasu is untested at this level, it is pertinent to point out that he has had more experience i.e. U17, U20 and a professional career, than Enyeama when he was thrown in at the deep end against England in the 2002 WC in South Korea and he acquainted himself very well.
CEs do we take a chance with Alampasu, retain Akpeyi or recall Enyeama for the crucial matches against Cameroon in September?
But Enyeama is not in retirement, so what is the problem?
If na beg we need to beg, its no biggie.
Its not an ego issue and should never be.

If he has set his mind on 'retirement' from the national team we cannot begrudge him for that. But to ask a man to change his mind is asking a lot and therefore pleading is in order. Fact is we suddenly have nobody else and we never imagined we'd find ourselves in this position.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote:The unavailability of Carl Ikeme for the SE's crucial WCQs against Cameroon has led to the call for the recall of former SE goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama back to the SE fold. Reading Oloye's comments on another thread telling Enyeama to be careful about destroying his legacy makes me have a rethink about inviting Enyeama. I remember how Chairman Christian Chukwu was recalled out of retirement in 1981 for the crucial WCQs against Algeria on the back of a media frenzy. The great man ended up tarnishing his reputation as he was blamed for Nigeria's loss and was hauled off at half-time to be replaced by Stephen Keshi. Chukwu carried the can for Nigeria's failure to qualify for the 1982 world cup.

If he has set his mind on 'retirement' from the national team we cannot begrudge him for that. But to ask a man to change his mind is asking a lot and therefore pleading is in order. Fact is we suddenly have nobody else and we never imagined we'd find ourselves in this position.
Bro, just like Enyeama, Chukwu had retired from the Green Eagles after winning the 1980 AFCON. He was still playing for and captaining Enugu Rangers when there was the call for his recall for the ill fated WCQs against Algeria.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Bro, just like Enyeama, Chukwu had retired from the Green Eagles after winning the 1980 AFCON. He was still playing for and captaining Enugu Rangers when there was the call for his recall for the ill fated WCQs against Algeria.
Ok, I thought you meant he had retired patapata.
However I believe Enyeama is still streets ahead of what we now have between the posts
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Thonpson Usiyan too came back for that match. He was awful.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

"Recall" is for someone you chose to leave out. Enyeama retired.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

With Ikeme out for now, Onyeama is the best option left.
Half ready Onyeama is much better than the indecisive bunch of options we currently have.
Goalkeeping is all about experience and ability to make quick decisions. Onyeama should be
recalled and placated. Also he would make a much better captain than the blonde.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

joao wrote:With Ikeme out for now, Onyeama is the best option left.
Half ready Onyeama is much better than the indecisive bunch of options we currently have.
Goalkeeping is all about experience and ability to make quick decisions. Onyeama should be
recalled and placated. Also he would make a much better captain than the blonde.
Who is this Onyeama?
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

YemiBrazil wrote:
Who is this Onyeama?
Onyeama from where or who??
i think the O should have been an E
Last edited by walesvilla on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

pajimoh wrote:"Recall" is for someone you chose to leave out. Enyeama retired.
Oga Pajimoh and Chief Dammy,

Enyeama was pushed out by Oliseh.

He was forced into retirement. And it was not due to performance.

We are not good enough to allow our ego from stopping us from inviting our best players.

It is a position we are grossly deficient in.

Missed 3 ANCs with him missing in action while he was our best goalie. Do you want to make it a fourth?

Maybe some of you are happy watching others at the AFCON or at the next World Cup?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Cellular wrote:

We are not good enough to allow our ego from stopping us from inviting our best players.

Missed 3 ANCs with him missing in action while he was our best goalie. Do you want to make it a fourth?

Maybe some of you are happy watching others at the AFCON or at the next World Cup?
kpom, we are on course to set a record..4th AFCON
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

If the Bafana Debacle is not enough to ask for Enyeama to come back nothing will be
Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Cellular wrote:

There's probably a misunderstanding. We need Enyeama. The term "recall" sounds like the selectors left him out only to recall him again. We need to get him back - get him to change his mind
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

walesvilla wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
Who is this Onyeama?
Are you suggesting the poster is totally clueless?
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Damunk wrote:
walesvilla wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
Who is this Onyeama?
Are you suggesting the poster is totally clueless?
Lets not make it obvious :D
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Definitely recall...but note, Vince has lost a step in the last year. He's not the old Vince...but in goalkeeping dept, we effectively have a crisis on our hand. Recalling him is the only way to solve that crisis right now
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Enyeama has been reached out to. Several influential intermediaries have already contacted him. Also, when he visited the team's camp in Uyo ahead of the South Africa match, he had a discussion with Rohr the details of which we are not privy to. However, his immediate concern is to settle his club status, bearing in mind the recent development in Lille. There will be a development soon, I'm sure.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Given the unfortunate turn of events for Carl, we definitely need Vincent back asap. Do whatever you have to do to get the man back. Beg, apologize, prostrate, etc. He was forced out unfairly. This is an emergency situation.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Cellular wrote:

Enyeama disrespected the coach and he was rightfully punished. Would he have insisted to speak if Oliseh was an Oyinbo? We need to stop encouraging this nonsense from our own people.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Thank you, Sir.....I will sign up for houseboy duties if he comes back...
Obong wrote:Enyeama has been reached out to. Several influential intermediaries have already contacted him. Also, when he visited the team's camp in Uyo ahead of the South Africa match, he had a discussion with Rohr the details of which we are not privy to. However, his immediate concern is to settle his club status, bearing in mind the recent development in Lille. There will be a development soon, I'm sure.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

bamenda boy wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Enyeama disrespected the coach and he was rightfully punished. Would he have insisted to speak if Oliseh was an Oyinbo? We need to stop encouraging this nonsense from our own people.
Wetin concern agbero with overload?
I am happy
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Cellular wrote:

Ahem Chief ,

Enyeama was talking retirement before Oliseh .

Even during the Oliseh Brouhaha a simple apology would have brought him back . He chose to go to Instagram to make up stories about his dead mother being disrespected instead.

After Oliseh he has rejected all overtures and has himself made clear that his retirement was more NFF than Oliseh