So City spent £100 Million on Stones and Walker

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
So City spent £100 Million on Stones and Walker

Post by Bigpokey24 »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40598351

oh my money really miss road
Manchester City are close to completing the signing of Tottenham and England right-back Kyle Walker.

The 27-year-old is expected to have a medical and complete the transfer on Friday after the clubs agreed a deal on Wednesday worth up to £50m.

Walker, who joined Tottenham from Sheffield United in 2009, will not join up with Spurs for the start of their pre-season training on Friday.

Instead, he will travel with City on Monday to start their tour of the USA.

City boss Pep Guardiola released three full-backs at the end of last season, including both right-sided players - Pablo Zabaleta and Bacary Sagna.

He missed out on the signing of free agent Dani Alves, with the Brazilian joining Paris St-Germain on Wednesday.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: So City spent £100 Million on Stones and Walker

Post by nemi2002 »

chei and some folks dey blame chinese..... kyle 50m...... na wa
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

nemi2002 wrote:chei and some folks dey blame chinese..... kyle 50m...... na wa
Sorry to see him go but Trippier is not a bad deputy. Poch will be able to solve Walker's void.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

pajimoh wrote:
Sorry to see him go but Trippier is not a bad deputy. Poch will be able to solve Walker's void.
That's the spirit plus the 50M doesn't hurt either. Meanwhile, what's your take on the Dier to ManU rumors?
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
That's the spirit plus the 50M doesn't hurt either. Meanwhile, what's your take on the Dier to ManU rumors?
I think if they let Dier go to Man U, Spurs deserve finishing 7th. They need to keep their core together.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

balo wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
I think if they let Dier go to Man U, Spurs deserve finishing 7th. They need to keep their core together.

i disagree. Spurs and Chelsea are 2 teams that have done well with good money from player sales.

They are still benefiting from Modric's and Bale's sales. yes, they havent won any trophies, but they have significantly improved.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Personally, I like Dier's game. He's the utility player. He can cover many positions from MF to the back 4. I'd be surprised if Poch let him leave unless he's got a replacement that will offer even more than Dier. But football is also business. We are building and 100m from 2 players is 1/8 of the stadium cost
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Bigpokey24 wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40598351

oh my money really miss road
Manchester City are close to completing the signing of Tottenham and England right-back Kyle Walker.

The 27-year-old is expected to have a medical and complete the transfer on Friday after the clubs agreed a deal on Wednesday worth up to £50m.

Walker, who joined Tottenham from Sheffield United in 2009, will not join up with Spurs for the start of their pre-season training on Friday.

Instead, he will travel with City on Monday to start their tour of the USA.

City boss Pep Guardiola released three full-backs at the end of last season, including both right-sided players - Pablo Zabaleta and Bacary Sagna.

He missed out on the signing of free agent Dani Alves, with the Brazilian joining Paris St-Germain on Wednesday.
You missed this thread?

Exposing The Widely Held Myths About How Clubs Sign Players
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=281258
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

If Man City wrap up the signings of Walker (£50m) and Mendy (£40m), that'll be £267.6m spent on defenders and keepers alone since 2014/15.
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

In 1996, £40m would have got you Ronaldo, Seedorf, Rivaldo, Zidane & Shearer

In 2017, £40m won't even get you Gylfi Sigurdsson

Inflation
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Personally, I like Dier's game. He's the utility player. He can cover many positions from MF to the back 4. I'd be surprised if Poch let him leave unless he's got a replacement that will offer even more than Dier. But football is also business. We are building and 100m from 2 players is 1/8 of the stadium cost
I agree. Definitely one of the most underrated players in the league. I don't expect to see him at ManU either but with ManU's financial muscle anything is possible.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
I agree. Definitely one of the most underrated players in the league. I don't expect to see him at ManU either but with ManU's financial muscle anything is possible.
i noticed him during the Euros, very good player, similar to Chelsea's Mikel and Casimeiro also the guy can score freekicks
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

ojafranpa wrote:If Man City wrap up the signings of Walker (£50m) and Mendy (£40m), that'll be £267.6m spent on defenders and keepers alone since 2014/15.

It is not only that they overpay for players, but also that the players are not that good. Otamendi, Mangala, Stone, Walker are almost 180m€ spent. How would you rate them compared to defenders of top clubs?
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
balo wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

i disagree. Spurs and Chelsea are 2 teams that have done well with good money from player sales.

They are still benefiting from Modric's and Bale's sales. yes, they havent won any trophies, but they have significantly improved.
Errr..... The Modric and Bale money was largely wasted. How many of the players they bought the summer they sold Bale are still at the club? Same applies to Modric.

These players are a direct result from a change in recruitment policy. It is one thing to have good players, it is another entirely to have a good team. Having the odd one or two good players (and Spuds have always had one or two good players) does not make a good team, also having 11 good players does not necessarily make a good team. Also, spending silly money does not guarantee a good team. So many factors have to go right with your planning to have a good team.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Now Spuds have a good team, can they keep their good players? This is key because Agents do not have any time for sentiment. Players these days rarely have time for sentiment. As a Gooner, I know this only too well, not only did we sell our best players for the best part of 10 years, we also missed out on top players in the same period. It is one thing bringing in good players or even developing them, it is another thing entirely to keep them when they have proven themselves in the league.

Bottomline is Spuds do not pay wages of a top 4 team. Go read the last set of Accounts of the top 6. The top 4 in terms of wages were, ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Arsenal were 5th, Spuds 6th. But the difference between Spuds and the rest is considerable. Arsenal had a wage of £195m in 5th, Liverpool had a wage bill of £208m in 4th, whilst Spuds in 2nd place in the league had the 6th highest wage bill of £160m. A brilliant achievement, but the differential in wages is too big to keep their best players. I know this only too well from Arsenal's expereince.

Players will take care of number one and for Spuds over 2 to 3 seasons (last season was the 2nd season), if the budget differential is too big, it will be impossible for them to keep their players. Spuds have got to the level where their best players want to be paid like the other players at that the same level. For example, Walker knows his worth, if he does not, his Agent knows it is his job to let him know this. All the Agent has to do is say, look at Luke Shaw, your England team mate. How much is he earning? If Luke Shaw can command a basic wage of £170k per week, why can't you? Is he better than you? Is he worth more than you? Then, the Agent will point to the player who he competes with for the England RB spot - Nathaniel Clyne. How can it be that Clyne is earning more than Walker? Clyne is said to earn over £90k per week plus bonuses, but Walker's Agent in his quest to get Walker out of Spuds and let the whole world know that his player is on less than £70k per week plus bonuses at Spuds. This despite the fact that the same Agent, only just recently just agreed the deal with Spuds. Goes to show you how much a contract is worth these days. Fact is, a contract is only there to protect the club in that you get the highest transfer fee for the player. The contract no longer stops a determined player from leaving. We hear Walker is being offered a basic of over £150k per week by City - that is more than double what he currently earns at Spuds. Sadly, for Spuds, this is just the beginning. When Walker post his first wage slip on 'WhatsApp' for his Spuds ex-team mates to see, then reality will strike and the Agents of the other top players will go into over drive to get similar wages for their clients. That is the reality of the modern game.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Waffiman wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Now Spuds have a good team, can they keep their good players? This is key because Agents do not have any time for sentiment. Players these days rarely have time for sentiment. As a Gooner, I know this only too well, not only did we sell our best players for the best part of 10 years, we also missed out on top players in the same period. It is one thing bringing in good players or even developing them, it is another thing entirely to keep them when they have proven themselves in the league.

Bottomline is Spuds do not pay wages of a top 4 team. Go read the last set of Accounts of the top 6. The top 4 in terms of wages were, ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Arsenal were 5th, Spuds 6th. But the difference between Spuds and the rest is considerable. Arsenal had a wage of £195m in 5th, Liverpool had a wage bill of £208m in 4th, whilst Spuds in 2nd place in the league had the 6th highest wage bill of £160m. A brilliant achievement, but the differential in wages is too big to keep their best players. I know this only too well from Arsenal's expereince.

Players will take care of number one and for Spuds over 2 to 3 seasons (last season was the 2nd season), if the budget differential is too big, it will be impossible for them to keep their players. Spuds have got to the level where their best players want to be paid like the other players at that the same level. For example, Walker knows his worth, if he does not, his Agent knows it is his job to let him know this. All the Agent has to do is say, look at Luke Shaw, your England team mate. How much is he earning? If Luke Shaw can command a basic wage of £170k per week, why can't you? Is he better than you? Is he worth more than you? Then, the Agent will point to the player who he competes with for the England RB spot - Nathaniel Clyne. How can it be that Clyne is earning more than Walker? Clyne is said to earn over £90k per week plus bonuses, but Walker's Agent in his quest to get Walker out of Spuds and let the whole world know that his player is on less than £70k per week plus bonuses at Spuds. This despite the fact that the same Agent, only just recently just agreed the deal with Spuds. Goes to show you how much a contract is worth these days. Fact is, a contract is only there to protect the club in that you get the highest transfer fee for the player. The contract no longer stops a determined player from leaving. We hear Walker is being offered a basic of over £150k per week by City - that is more than double what he currently earns at Spuds. Sadly, for Spuds, this is just the beginning. When Walker post his first wage slip on 'WhatsApp' for his Spuds ex-team mates to see, then reality will strike and the Agents of the other top players will go into over drive to get similar wages for their clients. That is the reality of the modern game.
Exactly and why I am in support of a football salary cap. I am happy with the club's focus on developing youth players. The moment Spurs turns on 'cheat mode', I stop supporting the club. Walker's move annoys me because I expected more loyalty from him than the flimsy excuse of being homesick for the North. It also annoys me because it explains the shiite performances we were getting out of him at the latter end of the season. I will trust the manager in his decision and it means that Poch feels that Kyle Walker-Peters is more than ready. Walker should have looked to Bale and Modric who we advised to wait a year and then get a move to a bigger club and in their case this panned out very well. But as you said, there is no loyalty between players and club.

On spending the money well, I am more than pleased with how Spurs spent the Bale money - Eriksen and Lamela have proven their weight in gold. We also got good monies for selling the remaining five. The club that makes me laugh is Liverpool. Rodgers came out all guns blazing saying they wouldnt waste the Suarez money poking fun at Spurs and yet ...

If Dier decides to go as well, I will not lose any sleep. The only worry I will have is if Alli decides to follow his best friend. As mentioned, his greatest strength is utility but that is also his greatest weakness. Wanyama and Dembele are better CMs/DMs. Toby, Jan and Wimmer (IMHO) are better defenders. Trippier is a better RB.

It is clear to me what Jose's and Pep's tactics are in this transfer window and that is to unsettle Spurs' players. Here is me not wishing Walker well - homesick for the North indeed ... :roll: :roll:

PS On the wage bill stuff, certain clubs pay their first team players more than Spurs - Leicester, West Ham, Newcastle (before relegation), Everton .. Spurs have a small first team squad as well.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Cristao II wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Exactly and why I am in support of a football salary cap. I am happy with the club's focus on developing youth players. The moment Spurs turns on 'cheat mode', I stop supporting the club. Walker's move annoys me because I expected more loyalty from him than the flimsy excuse of being homesick for the North. It also annoys me because it explains the shiite performances we were getting out of him at the latter end of the season. I will trust the manager in his decision and it means that Poch feels that Kyle Walker-Peters is more than ready. Walker should have looked to Bale and Modric who we advised to wait a year and then get a move to a bigger club and in their case this panned out very well. But as you said, there is no loyalty between players and club.

On spending the money well, I am more than pleased with how Spurs spent the Bale money - Eriksen and Lamela have proven their weight in gold. We also got good monies for selling the remaining five. The club that makes me laugh is Liverpool. Rodgers came out all guns blazing saying they wouldnt waste the Suarez money poking fun at Spurs and yet ...

If Dier decides to go as well, I will not lose any sleep. The only worry I will have is if Alli decides to follow his best friend. As mentioned, his greatest strength is utility but that is also his greatest weakness. Wanyama and Dembele are better CMs/DMs. Toby, Jan and Wimmer (IMHO) are better defenders. Trippier is a better RB.

It is clear to me what Jose's and Pep's tactics are in this transfer window and that is to unsettle Spurs' players. Here is me not wishing Walker well - homesick for the North indeed ... :roll: :roll:

PS On the wage bill stuff, certain clubs pay their first team players more than Spurs - Leicester, West Ham, Newcastle (before relegation), Everton .. Spurs have a small first team squad as well.
In a freemarket economy, that is next to impossible....It's one of the reasons why the EPL is managing to draw talent from across the global and remains arguably one of the most competitive leagues on the planet. The guys in the grey suits know this and are happy to play ball.

Each year the stakes for winning get higher and clubs that covet the grand prizes will stop at nothing to achieve their goal... One of the things that can be done is limiting clubs spending to a % of turnover generated, for financial sustainability and UEFA is already onto that.

Wages and transfer fees are a simple function of DD + SS + Inflation...
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cristao II wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Heard Spuds have told Dier he goes nowhere. They are digging in and not listening to any offers or the player's Agent. I think that is dead for this summer.

Also heard, Spuds angrily knocked back City's advances for Rose. Also think that will be on hold till next 2 windows.

I have long since given up on players and loyalty. It just does not exist anymore in the modern game. Some players will stay if you come close to matching an offer but most want you to match and better the offer they have or they leave. I understand, their careers are short and they must maximise their worth in this short period, so I no longer hold grudges. To me, the club and Manager are more important than any player.

The fact of life is, when you have a successful team and players, they attract suitors with all sorts of financial inducements. Clubs must be careful not to upset the team spirit cos if they break the wage structure with a player's contract, it means you must now increase the pays of the other players. This is tricky because we all know, you do it once, you set a precedent and the pressure will be on to continue doing it to keep your best players. To save the club from getting into team spirit and financial problems, you have to make a call for the sake of the club, you let the player go and cash in as much as you can. Whilst this has its own problems of being tagged as a selling club with more offers coming for your players, it prevents problems and keeps the club healthy. But the key is selling your best players and remaining competitive. We all know the modern fan is only interested in how much you spend in the transfer window and it is getting really stupid.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Waffiman wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote: Sorry to see him go but Trippier is not a bad deputy. Poch will be able to solve Walker's void.

Heard Spuds have told Dier he goes nowhere. They are digging in and not listening to any offers or the player's Agent. I think that is dead for this summer.

Also heard, Spuds angrily knocked back City's advances for Rose. Also think that will be on hold till next 2 windows.

I have long since given up on players and loyalty. It just does not exist anymore in the modern game. Some players will stay if you come close to matching an offer but most want you to match and better the offer they have or they leave. I understand, their careers are short and they must maximise their worth in this short period, so I no longer hold grudges. To me, the club and Manager are more important than any player.

The fact of life is, when you have a successful team and players, they attract suitors with all sorts of financial inducements. Clubs must be careful not to upset the team spirit cos if they break the wage structure with a player's contract, it means you must now increase the pays of the other players. This is tricky because we all know, you do it once, you set a precedent and the pressure will be on to continue doing it to keep your best players. To save the club from getting into team spirit and financial problems, you have to make a call for the sake of the club, you let the player go and cash in as much as you can. Whilst this has its own problems of being tagged as a selling club with more offers coming for your players, it prevents problems and keeps the club healthy. But the key is selling your best players and remaining competitive. We all know the modern fan is only interested in how much you spend in the transfer window and it is getting really stupid.
Agreed. If I know Levy who took over when Spurs were at a low financial position - he will sell any player who wants to do as you described. Unfortunately that means clubs now know that if you want to buy Spurs players - you ask them to act unsettled including stupid reasons like being homesick for Manchester...

I am also in a little piece of mind hoping that Levy applies his habitual 'last minute' request on this transfer but then I dont think I can stomach seeing Walker in a Spurs jersey again.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Walker is 27 and Trippier makes his sale less painful. Clubs cannot keep the players that want out but you can get top money for them. Unfortunately this is the way things are now. That I why the new stadium and the ability to pay top mo ey is important otherwise you just have to define your ambitions - get into Europe my making top four, buy cheap and sell high. If you win something then it's a bonus. Clubs are spending over 300m on defence alone when a team I the premiership don't even cost that much.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

pajimoh wrote:Walker is 27 and Trippier makes his sale less painful. Clubs cannot keep the players that want out but you can get top money for them. Unfortunately this is the way things are now. That I why the new stadium and the ability to pay top mo ey is important otherwise you just have to define your ambitions - get into Europe my making top four, buy cheap and sell high. If you win something then it's a bonus. Clubs are spending over 300m on defence alone when a team I the premiership don't even cost that much.
The future you described is unsustainable for the future of football in England.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Cristao II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Walker is 27 and Trippier makes his sale less painful. Clubs cannot keep the players that want out but you can get top money for them. Unfortunately this is the way things are now. That I why the new stadium and the ability to pay top mo ey is important otherwise you just have to define your ambitions - get into Europe my making top four, buy cheap and sell high. If you win something then it's a bonus. Clubs are spending over 300m on defence alone when a team I the premiership don't even cost that much.
The future you described is unsustainable for the future of football in England.
When the "tipping point" is reached something will happen. Until then we carry on as best as we can
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

This is the point I made in one of Spurs' game thread and Cristao said I was wrong. Holding unto a player is hard as is especially for a club in the class of Arsenal and Spurs without sugar daddy. When you add the mad market coupled with Stadium building venture, you face an uphill battle to pay 'competitive' wage.

In as much as I try to make fun of Spurs, I think they are unto the right blend of a coach with mindset of young players infusion, Levy with the right attitude and skillful(solid) players who seem to like each other. The young players will do well if introduced early enough but there will always be that growing pain associated with the jump.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."