Spurs 2017/2018 Season: Levy fortifying Team

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet
Spurs 2017/2018 Season: Levy fortifying Team

Post by Its a Goal »

Some of the dead weights are getting pruned while the young and hungry youth players are going to be given their opportunity. The cost of reconstructing our old stadium to be the best in the league and a state of the art modern facility means no major acquisition is going to take place.

Walker was sold for £50m :clap:, a few fringe players have left but the core team is intact. ManU were sniffing at Eric Dier's direction but unlike Walker, whom MoPo was confident of replacing without qualms, he is not feeling the same with Dier so he has demanded Dier should not go at any price :clap:. Dele is loving life under MoPo and most likely will get a new contract this season. Kane will should get a bumper rise as well (£150 PW perhaps) to show appreciation for his worth. Lloris is happy to be back as the numero uno. Alderweireld's contract should be sorted out before the start of the season and his recent interview was quite encouraging saying money is not his issue.

Back from injury is the talisman, Lamela :thumbs:. He may not be ready to start the season but the fact that he has began rigorous fitness training means he is ready to pick up where he left off. We would have probably gained more points last season if we had him around longer than the 3 months we did :dream:. Son too is fast recovering from his forearm injury. Winks should be back hopefully before the end of the year while Rose is close to full recovery.

The partnership of Levy and MoPo is very strong and formidable. They trust each other as they have the same vision of how to run the Tottenham model and operation. If MoPo wants a player Levy trust him enough to know he is not after spending for spending sake but for legitimate reasons, like no suitable talent available in the academy, therefore Levy will begin negotiation on acquiring that talent . If Levy needs to curtail spending he knows he can rely on MoPo to steady the ship and make the players feel comfortable enough to not want to leave but ruthless enough to get rid of those who clearly don't want to be patient to see the dream come true.

I know it is easy get carried away seeing other teams lavishing big money on talents that have no PL experience or just have big names but with Super HotSpur we do it the right way. We build organically. We develop our youth. We find that gem in the rough. We consolidate on our team. Come end of the season Spurs would have a fantastic season.

COME ON YOU SPURS! COME ON YOU SPURS!! COME ON YOU SPURS!!!
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Spurs 2017/2018 Season: Levy fortifying Team

Post by Cito »

Are you ready to win the EPL? Do you think they are old enough now or is there an excuse lurking somewhere? Just curious.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Who gives a toss?! :roll:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Cito wrote:Are you ready to win the EPL? Do you think they are old enough now or is there an excuse lurking somewhere? Just curious.
The last two finishes of 2nd and 3rd place have come earlier than planned in my opinion. It has been great watching the club perform better than expected. Spurs are not favourites to win the title next season. Lets discuss this over the next 4 seasons. This time is a very important period for the club. It would be interesting to know the target set Poch by Levy.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Its a Goal wrote:Some of the dead weights are getting pruned while the young and hungry youth players are going to be given their opportunity. The cost of reconstructing our old stadium to be the best in the league and a state of the art modern facility means no major acquisition is going to take place.

Walker was sold for £50m :clap:, a few fringe players have left but the core team is intact. ManU were sniffing at Eric Dier's direction but unlike Walker, whom MoPo was confident of replacing without qualms, he is not feeling the same with Dier so he has demanded Dier should not go at any price :clap:. Dele is loving life under MoPo and most likely will get a new contract this season. Kane will should get a bumper rise as well (£150 PW perhaps) to show appreciation for his worth. Lloris is happy to be back as the numero uno. Alderweireld's contract should be sorted out before the start of the season and his recent interview was quite encouraging saying money is not his issue.

Back from injury is the talisman, Lamela :thumbs:. He may not be ready to start the season but the fact that he has began rigorous fitness training means he is ready to pick up where he left off. We would have probably gained more points last season if we had him around longer than the 3 months we did :dream:. Son too is fast recovering from his forearm injury. Winks should be back hopefully before the end of the year while Rose is close to full recovery.

The partnership of Levy and MoPo is very strong and formidable. They trust each other as they have the same vision of how to run the Tottenham model and operation. If MoPo wants a player Levy trust him enough to know he is not after spending for spending sake but for legitimate reasons, like no suitable talent available in the academy, therefore Levy will begin negotiation on acquiring that talent . If Levy needs to curtail spending he knows he can rely on MoPo to steady the ship and make the players feel comfortable enough to not want to leave but ruthless enough to get rid of those who clearly don't want to be patient to see the dream come true.

I know it is easy get carried away seeing other teams lavishing big money on talents that have no PL experience or just have big names but with Super HotSpur we do it the right way. We build organically. We develop our youth. We find that gem in the rough. We consolidate on our team. Come end of the season Spurs would have a fantastic season.

COME ON YOU SPURS! COME ON YOU SPURS!! COME ON YOU SPURS!!!
Nice optimism.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
zoldsasok
Egg
Egg

Post by zoldsasok »

Danfo is coming for you guys in 1...2....3... Lol
You know Harry Kane can get 300K pounds/week easily now. Good luck holding him on 150K
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Cristao II wrote:Spurs are not favourites to win the title next season. Lets discuss this over the next 4 seasons.
Lol. No need to be afraid to claim the obvious. Spurs is definitely one of the title contenders this season as they were going into last season. They have the 3 yr continuity of their coaching staff, same players and they pushed chelsea all the way till three games left.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Here comes the favorites for 2017/2018 EPL season :thumbs: :thumbs:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

green4life wrote:
Cristao II wrote:Spurs are not favourites to win the title next season. Lets discuss this over the next 4 seasons.
Lol. No need to be afraid to claim the obvious. Spurs is definitely one of the title contenders this season as they were going into last season. They have the 3 yr continuity of their coaching staff, same players and they pushed chelsea all the way till three games left.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The boy is truly a wonderment! He once supported Inter Milan also, so i know him very well. Inter Milan, the Spurs of Italy, failure failure failure... Until Mourinho went there and shocked them with success.. they couldnt handle it and now they have returned to failure.

How a boy can be so in love with failure is beyond me!

I have never seen a person so afraid of success. I truly hope to God this is not how he lives his life. This is ridiculous! How can you go into competitions not demanding to win! I dont care who you are! Even if you spend 20 m and everyone spends 600m, you demand to win! And if you lose, you say "we will try again next year." But for someone to reject success outright and look towards next 4 years, that is absolutely unacceptable.

And what will happen in the next four years?? You think kane, Ali and the rest will be there waiting until their late 20s and early 30s to win something??? and Utd, City, Chelsea and the rest will just raise their hands up and say "okay, Spurs, na your turn??? WTFF????
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

green4life wrote:
Form at Wembley stadium is one of the major issues. Maintaining a 3 way battle for competitions is another and IMHO something the Spurs squad is presently not sized for. The manager will have to pick a priority. Spurs has a good squad, coaching staff and one of the best fan support in England.

Faves to win the title next season are the usual top 4. Liverpool and Spurs are dark horses. Everton are far from the pack but it depends on quickly Koeman can get his side to gel. I know Lloris and the guys will give their best to win it.

Over the next four seasons, I judge Levy's intentions are to narrow the financial gap between Spurs and the next tier.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Cristao, what was the financial gap between Leicester city and the other contenders when they were Champions two years ago? When Chelsea went in last year (on the back of a 10th place finish) were they favorites? My point is you cannot predict how the season will play out. Tottenham has all the pieces in place to win the title but they just need a little quality depth. You are not a big club so there's no shame in cutting your coat accordingly to focus on the league and maybe FA Cup at best given squad limitations if you are to win the league. But to say that Spurs, a team with arguably the most cohesive first 11 in England, is not a title favorite makes me question whether you appreciate the capabilities of your team and the work that Pooch has done there. Yes, wembely may be a bit of a hindrance but Pooch will adjust accordingly. The key will be to stay in the race by new years and assess from there. Otherwise you are not fooling anyone by claiming that Spurs isn't one of the favorites this season.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

green4life wrote:Cristao, what was the financial gap between Leicester city and the other contenders when they were Champions two years ago? When Chelsea went in last year (on the back of a 10th place finish) were they favorites? My point is you cannot predict how the season will play out. Tottenham has all the pieces in place to win the title but they just need a little quality depth. You are not a big club so there's no shame in cutting your coat accordingly to focus on the league and maybe FA Cup at best given squad limitations if you are to win the league. But to say that Spurs, a team with arguably the most cohesive first 11 in England, is not a title favorite makes me question whether you appreciate the capabilities of your team and the work that Pooch has done there. Yes, wembely may be a bit of a hindrance but Pooch will adjust accordingly. The key will be to stay in the race by new years and assess from there. Otherwise you are not fooling anyone by claiming that Spurs isn't one of the favorites this season.
Why do keep making the same mistake using Leicester City as the norm or the yardstick? Even a 1000/1 outside horse wins once in a while. Where was Leicester last season? The usual suspects that plan will be there or there about every season.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Insisting that Leicester city was a mistake is comical. You'd rather expect less from your team just to justify why Leicester city beat Spurs to the title 2 yrs ago. Leicester city was not a mistake. It's clear and convincing evidence that even in the most unlikely scenario, winning is possible.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

green4life wrote:Cristao, what was the financial gap between Leicester city and the other contenders when they were Champions two years ago? When Chelsea went in last year (on the back of a 10th place finish) were they favorites? My point is you cannot predict how the season will play out. Tottenham has all the pieces in place to win the title but they just need a little quality depth. You are not a big club so there's no shame in cutting your coat accordingly to focus on the league and maybe FA Cup at best given squad limitations if you are to win the league. But to say that Spurs, a team with arguably the most cohesive first 11 in England, is not a title favorite makes me question whether you appreciate the capabilities of your team and the work that Pooch has done there. Yes, wembely may be a bit of a hindrance but Pooch will adjust accordingly. The key will be to stay in the race by new years and assess from there. Otherwise you are not fooling anyone by claiming that Spurs isn't one of the favorites this season.
1. Leicester did well to win the league but I am sure most neutrals agree that the chance of that repeating itself is very low. That season was a special season. Certain clubs didnt get going throughout that season at all.

2. Spurs are NOT favourites for the title. Neutrals will agree that Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea are the TOP favorites. Spurs/Liverpool are dark horses. Leicester now that they dont have European football could also be there. Spurs were the darkest of horses at the start of the last season. Not many gave Spurs a chance of being second in the last season - forget second sef. Some saw us only qualifying for Europa. Some even said the effect of the loss to Newcastle would continue over to the next season. Saying Spurs are not favorites for the title doesnt mean that I will not support my club to give their best. Saying Spurs are not favorites doesnt mean that they cant win the title. All it means is that they are not favorites. Any one of the 20 clubs in the BPL has a chance! I accept that certain clubs have a better chance due to squad makeup and other variables to win it.

TBH I see how some other club fans think about how I view my club. I am aware of the insulting comments made by certain personnel on this board who feel that one must show support for their club in a certain manner. I am a realist. You say that I dont know Poch/Spurs capabilities? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: What do I expect from Spurs next season - Playing some damn good football, developing the likes of Onomah, KWP, TAB, Sterling et al and issuing shege to rival clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool etc. I am especially waiting for the matches against Newcastle!

I get a lot of joy from the youth teams at Spurs which I rarely show on CE. If senior Spurs win a title, I will be joyous. I started supporting Spurs because they played some damn good football i.e. the style, the flair, players like Hoddle, Ginola, Klinsmann etc, the sheer effontery of Gross and his 4 striker system. People use their own standards for supporting their club and apply it to me. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Are you watching ball because of me or your love for your club? Is your love purely based on what your club has won? Success and Trophies can and do give memories, aye. I have those of Spurs and I also have memories of the special goals, moments, players that have worn the Lillywhite/Blue jersey from Rasiak to van der Vaart, Onomah to the Irish Ginger Pele.

3. Spurs not a big club - PLS. We are. Simple Spurs are amongst the big clubs in England!! Historically and present. Ask for the biggest 5-6 clubs in England! We will be there. Infact we are top 11 in the world presently IIRC. I see Levy's masterplan and since he kickstarted it in the early 2000s, it is been right on track. Within 4 seasons, this league will hear wen. I am a patient person.

TL:DR - Let the season start!! All of this is just boredom from people waiting for football to begin.
Last edited by Cristao II on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

green4life wrote:Insisting that Leicester city was a mistake is comical. You'd rather expect less from your team just to justify why Leicester city beat Spurs to the title 2 yrs ago. Leicester city was not a mistake. It's clear and convincing evidence that even in the most unlikely scenario, winning is possible.
Leicester beat 18 other teams apart from Spurs to the title including Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool. I dont see any of their fans crying a river about it except perhaps l'arse fans. Spurs' chance of overtaking Leicester were quite minimal. We had a better chance of catching Chelsea in 2016/2017 than Leicester in 2015/2016.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Well said CII. I am glad you didn't fall the trick of arguing blindly over whether Spurs will win the league or not. It is a question of personal opinion whether they can or not doesn't affect anything that happens on the pitch one iota.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Expectation for this season is high but reasonable. Playing at Wembly is a big factor simply because it is not our traditional home, the field width is not the same as WHL and atmosphere will take some time to get used to. The minimum expectation for this season is winning a trophy. These guys want to have something to show for all their effort that is principally why they are all back and focused on reaching the pinnacle together.

We are going to have a rough start to the season. Newcastle and Chelsea is by no means the ideal way to start the season however if we can do reasonably well then it will give the lads confidence to push on.

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

BTW, Spurs has sold out season ticket to Wembly so it is going to be a packed house in all our home games :thumb:.

Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Cristao II wrote:
Cito wrote:Are you ready to win the EPL? Do you think they are old enough now or is there an excuse lurking somewhere? Just curious.
The last two finishes of 2nd and 3rd place have come earlier than planned in my opinion. It has been great watching the club perform better than expected. Spurs are not favourites to win the title next season. Lets discuss this over the next 4 seasons. This time is a very important period for the club. It would be interesting to know the target set Poch by Levy.
So when these 24year olds turn 28 plus will they be old enough to win the damn thing? Why are they not favorites? They are one of the least transient team in the top 5. They came 2nd last season so why are they not a favorite to win it?

I guess my question is , why are you so scared of embracing the favorite tag? You have players in the prime of their career being between 23-27 years old and have been in the top 4 the last few years, have same coach for last 4 year or so. So what is preventing them from winning it all?
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

this style of lowering expectation is very interesting 8-)
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

btw, thanks for Kyle now please don't go buy Perreira with that money, as that will piss me off.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

spastic wrote:this style of lowering expectation is very interesting 8-)
You must say it is better than the delusion their neighbors have... :D :taunt:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Cito wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
So when these 24year olds turn 28 plus will they be old enough to win the damn thing? Why are they not favorites? They are one of the least transient team in the top 5. They came 2nd last season so why are they not a favorite to win it?

I guess my question is , why are you so scared of embracing the favorite tag? You have players in the prime of their career being between 23-27 years old and have been in the top 4 the last few years, have same coach for last 4 year or so. So what is preventing them from winning it all?
Spurs first team is a match for any of the other sides in the EPL if not stronger than them. The problem is below that first team - the quality drops off. You need a strong squad and luck with injuries to win the league. Poch has a better chance of winning the league if he prioritises it to the detriment of the other competitions.

My question is why does it bother you about my views on MY team? What does MY view on Spurs have to do with Spurs' ACTUAL chances? Does the enthusiasm of the fans on CE affect club performance? Afterall, I see how some fans jump up and down with sheer determination that this year is their year and YET!! No BPL title.

My thinking is - y'all are bored. Go to any analyst and they will tell you what I have written above. The favourites are the four mentioned, Spurs/Liverpool are dark horses. Spurs will jump into the favorites category if the squad is strengthened. As a fan who knows my club and its players and considers a lot of factors. The realistic view is that Spurs' are not the best positioned to win the league. However count on them being around the top at the end of the season especially if the club can make Wembley a fortress.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8