Spurs 2017/2018 Season: Levy fortifying Team

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kenmega
Egg
Egg
Re: Spurs 2017/2018 Season: Levy fortifying Team

Post by kenmega »

Cristao II wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
Cito wrote:But Cristao one can argue that the so called 4 of 6 has won the EPL in the color TV era. Which still brings us to the issue of last time Spurs last won the league. I wonder if folding under pressure has any part in that little issue.
The main issue is, Spurs needs more players for building depth. I said in some post a while ago that the stadium building exercise will rob you of something. If you think it hasn't, when was the last season that Spurs didn't buy any player to add to their squad? Coincidence? I do not think so.
Is this transfer window over? Isnt your analysis a bit too early? Did Levy or Poch say they dont need more depth - Show me where they said so.

Funny you should mention history. Spurs were almost into administration in the late 90s. Levy took over and has slowly restored the club from lower table (Hoddle) to midtable (Santini) to top 6 (Jol, AVB, Redknapp, Sherwood) and now top 4 (Pochettino). I would listen more to Levy who clearly has a plan to make Spurs number 1 than others.

Levy has already tried the 'buy a lot of players' move. Remember the good old days when most of the peeps yabbing lack of Spurs moves would claim everyone and his mama was being courted by Spurs. Now he is trying another strategy - build excellent youth facility - supplement with transfers for positions youths cant fill. Recall last season Spurs bought in Wanyama, Janssen, Sissoko etc. Also check when Levy most often does business.
Levy did not rescue and save Spuds from the financial disaster Irvine Scholar, your then Chairman, was responsible for. Alan Sugar, the multi millionaire saved Spuds and put it on a sound financial footing before selling to Levy and ENIC.
Never said he did. I said Levy has restored Spurs finances and our end of season position has steadily improved under him.
Not really.
Sugar restored Spurs finances in 1997 (he made this announcement in the AGM) after cleaning up the financial mess Venables and Scholar made in the early 90s. Sugar was desperate to sell the club in the late 90s as he cannot take us forward. I think it was after signing Rebrov that he made that decision. David Buchler helped Levy to settle in at Spurs and the season slowly improved around 2005.
kenmega
Egg
Egg

Post by kenmega »

Daniel Levy's unsustainable in the transfer market comments - truthful and hypocritical remarks from him.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

kenmega wrote:Daniel Levy's unsustainable in the transfer market comments - truthful and hypocritical remarks from him.
Truthful but not hypocritical
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

pajimoh wrote:
kenmega wrote:Daniel Levy's unsustainable in the transfer market comments - truthful and hypocritical remarks from him.
How much is your tickets for games? And merchandise?

You guys are getting "took". :rotf: England charged the most in tickets, makes the most in broadcast rights, and yet this one is telling you spending "is unsustainable". Well; it doesn't concern you as you have never seen inside white hart lane or wembley. But those who pay the extortionate fees to watch aspire should also tell Levy that the cost to watch spurs is unsustainable. Nonsense! The man dey play una 419 and you are applauding :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

:???: :???: :???: Please explain :???:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

danfo driver wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
How much is your tickets for games? And merchandise?

You guys are getting "took". :rotf: England charged the most in tickets, makes the most in broadcast rights, and yet this one is telling you spending "is unsustainable". Well; it doesn't concern you as you have never seen inside white hart lane or wembley. But those who pay the extortionate fees to watch aspire should also tell Levy that the cost to watch spurs is unsustainable. Nonsense! The man dey play una ***** and you are applauding :rotf:
Gate fees and merchandise are cheap in Nigeria and other parts of Africa and the world, how as it worked out so far? The market dictates the price and price often dictate the quality. Kit makers don't sell their stuff cheap and most capital cities are not cheap to live or work in.
But this debate wasn't about gate fee or merchandise, it was about the price now being paid for players.
Until the market rebel, it goes on. The same gate fee you complain about, there's a few thousand waiting to get the chance to buy season tickets
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

pajimoh wrote: Gate fees and merchandise are cheap in Nigeria and other parts of Africa and the world, how as it worked out so far?
They are dirt cheap in Germany. How is that working for them?
The market dictates the price and price often dictate the quality. Kit makers don't sell their stuff cheap and most capital cities are not cheap to live or work in.
Yea, Munich and Milan are not cheap, yet, they are not extorting their fans.
But this debate wasn't about gate fee or merchandise, it was about the price now being paid for players.
Until the market rebel, it goes on. The same gate fee you complain about, there's a few thousand waiting to get the chance to buy season tickets
I am not complaining about the gate fee at Wembley. I have no plans to ever go watch Spurs play. But know this, (1) Bayern fans pay less money than you for tickets, yet, they watch significantly better players than you watch; and (2) Levy is extorting money from you.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

danfo driver wrote:
pajimoh wrote: Gate fees and merchandise are cheap in Nigeria and other parts of Africa and the world, how as it worked out so far?
They are dirt cheap in Germany. How is that working for them?
The market dictates the price and price often dictate the quality. Kit makers don't sell their stuff cheap and most capital cities are not cheap to live or work in.
Yea, Munich and Milan are not cheap, yet, they are not extorting their fans.
I am not complaining about the gate fee at Wembley. I have no plans to ever go watch Spurs play. But know this, (1) Bayern fans pay less money than you for tickets, yet, they watch significantly better players than you watch; and (2) Levy is extorting money from you.
Again, you're using the gate fee in Germany to dictate the gate fee in England. The market in both countries determine the gate fee.
Who is talking about Wembley? You think Spurs have been planning to build a new stadium for over 11 years knowing they can't fill it? The waiting list is longer than what the new stadium can contain. Wembley is just an example of the number of fans that couldn't get into the old stadium.
Bottom line - as long as there's a long queue of takers willing to pay the asking price, then.....
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

A football man talking. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

kenmega wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
Cito wrote:But Cristao one can argue that the so called 4 of 6 has won the EPL in the color TV era. Which still brings us to the issue of last time Spurs last won the league. I wonder if folding under pressure has any part in that little issue.
The main issue is, Spurs needs more players for building depth. I said in some post a while ago that the stadium building exercise will rob you of something. If you think it hasn't, when was the last season that Spurs didn't buy any player to add to their squad? Coincidence? I do not think so.
Is this transfer window over? Isnt your analysis a bit too early? Did Levy or Poch say they dont need more depth - Show me where they said so.

Funny you should mention history. Spurs were almost into administration in the late 90s. Levy took over and has slowly restored the club from lower table (Hoddle) to midtable (Santini) to top 6 (Jol, AVB, Redknapp, Sherwood) and now top 4 (Pochettino). I would listen more to Levy who clearly has a plan to make Spurs number 1 than others.

Levy has already tried the 'buy a lot of players' move. Remember the good old days when most of the peeps yabbing lack of Spurs moves would claim everyone and his mama was being courted by Spurs. Now he is trying another strategy - build excellent youth facility - supplement with transfers for positions youths cant fill. Recall last season Spurs bought in Wanyama, Janssen, Sissoko etc. Also check when Levy most often does business.
Levy did not rescue and save Spuds from the financial disaster Irvine Scholar, your then Chairman, was responsible for. Alan Sugar, the multi millionaire saved Spuds and put it on a sound financial footing before selling to Levy and ENIC.
Never said he did. I said Levy has restored Spurs finances and our end of season position has steadily improved under him.
Not really.
Sugar restored Spurs finances in 1997 (he made this announcement in the AGM) after cleaning up the financial mess Venables and Scholar made in the early 90s. Sugar was desperate to sell the club in the late 90s as he cannot take us forward. I think it was after signing Rebrov that he made that decision. David Buchler helped Levy to settle in at Spurs and the season slowly improved around 2005.
Thanks. I find it very strange when people argue blindly. The facts are there, all he had to do was google it. How can anyone forget the massive fall out between Sugar and Venables. Fast forward to Goldberg at Crystal Palace and you will realise how smart Sugar was.
kenmega
Egg
Egg

Post by kenmega »

Waffiman wrote:
kenmega wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Cristao II wrote:

Not really.
Thanks. I find it very strange when people argue blindly. The facts are there, all he had to do was google it. How can anyone forget the massive fall out between Sugar and Venables. Fast forward to Goldberg at Crystal Palace and you will realise how smart Sugar was.
There are books and TV documentaries on the fall out between Sugar and Venables as well as behind the scenes at WHL hence why my family cancelled the season tickets around 1997 after hearing we missed out on Bergkamp and Zola.. Venables and friends nearly bankrupted Spurs. I met Sugar and he is a shrewd character in terms of business and money. Some Spurs supporters failed to remember Sugar was the one who promoted Premier League football to Sky TV in the Big 5 meeting in 1991 and that Sky TV money dramatically helped Tottenham's finances.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

kenmega wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
kenmega wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Cristao II wrote:

Not really.
There are books and TV documentaries on the fall out between Sugar and Venables as well as behind the scenes at WHL hence why my family cancelled the season tickets around 1997 after hearing we missed out on Bergkamp and Zola.. Venables and friends nearly bankrupted Spurs. I met Sugar and he is a shrewd character in terms of business and money. Some Spurs supporters failed to remember Sugar was the one who promoted Premier League football to Sky TV in the Big 5 meeting in 1991 and that Sky TV money dramatically helped Tottenham's finances.
Spot on. You definitely know your Spurs. :clap: :clap: :clap:
kenmega
Egg
Egg

Post by kenmega »

anikulapo wrote:

:???: :???: :???: Please explain :???:
I agree with Daniel Levy on the transfer market being unsustainable.

However, this is rich coming from someone (remember he is the 4th richest chairman in the PL) who sold Walker to Man City for £50million, Gareth Bale to Real Madrid for £85million and spent ridiculous amount of money on the likes of Sissoko, Soldado and Lamela. He is one of the reasons the transfer market being unsustainable with his evaluation of overpriced players like Kyle Walker. No wonder Ferguson had a shitty moment with him in 2008. Levy makes money from anything we buy at Spurs. This is also the same guy who are offering season ticket prices for the new stadium to supporters like myself approximately $6,000 (£4,500) inc VAT per year for a team who failed to win the title since Nigeria gained independence. Levy, like every rich owner knows what to do in order to make money out of everyone but failed to tell us the real story. In the AGM meeting in April/May, Levy stated there is money to spend to order to compete with the big teams to challenge for the title. Nevertheless, once we granted permission to use Wembley Stadium, he knew he had to spend the money on that as well as the new stadium. So, where is the money for buying players or even the Walker money? Bidding players for lower price evaluation is another story with Pau Lopez, Perierra Foyth, and Toljan. Once those clubs reject his bids, other clubs will match their asking price. Everyone knows how Levy behaves with his money to spend on players in world football. The money in this sport is growing every %$#@^& second yet this guy has a degree in Economics from Cambridge should know better on how to compete with other teams and maintain a balance in the financial market. I give him credit for taking Tottenham into the Top 20 football clubs in world football and promoting youth players and finances have been excellent but what if he fails to meet those expectations in winning trophies and playing in Champions League football every season?

I don't know why Levy commented on this issue. I don't mind if it was Simon Jordan or David Gold but Levy should have never made that statement in the first place.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Final comment on this. Simple .. I never claimed that Levy restored Spurs from bankruptcy. Restoration of Spurs refers to finishing in top 4 and falling within top 15 richest clubs i.e. getting closer to the glory days. Under Sugar, we never finished higher than 8th.

Funny how someone wants to rip Levy apart. Levy's goal might be to grow Spurs to a level where most likely he can sell the club and make humongous profit on his investment. As I said earlier, I will give Levy a chance because of what he has done with the club so far. No one can say Levy hasnt thrown monies down in the transfer market over the last decade. To yab him because he likes to look for a good deal is .... for lack of a better word - funny!!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Onomah to Villa on loan. Good move if he can play a full uninterrupted season. He needs to be ready to take over from Dembele
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

TRIPPIER injured! Tottenham in desperate need for a right back
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

danfo driver wrote:TRIPPIER injured! Tottenham in desperate need for a right back
We need cover in that position anyway because of Walker's departure. However if his injury is not serious, we have utility players that can cover that position
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

KWP looks like he is going to be challenging Trippier for that position before the season ends. Won't be surprised if he starts next Sunday.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

KWP will not start next week. Dier will play in that position most likely. Also IAG, are you still upset over preseason result? Last match, you called their performance disgraceful.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Lovely game today but I still feel Spurs are a bit thin, I like Kane he is a single minded striker, Sissoko seems to lack confidence. Ali is good but needs to raise his game. Juventus hit the post a couple of times the Ghana boy is a good player. No way Dybala can replace Neymar. Higuain just too static but quality
Oya back to the matter
open and close
kenmega
Egg
Egg

Post by kenmega »

Prince wrote:Lovely game today but I still feel Spurs are a bit thin, I like Kane he is a single minded striker, Sissoko seems to lack confidence. Ali is good but needs to raise his game. Juventus hit the post a couple of times the Ghana boy is a good player. No way Dybala can replace Neymar. Higuain just too static but quality
Prince, how much did you buy your tickets? I was very disappointed with the turnout yesterday though the club had no say on the ticket pricing.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

The build up to the first goal, starting with Jan's sidestep, was just insane. No juventus player touched the ball until the net rippled
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Agreed. This season, lets just have fun!! Go out - enjoy football - show our quality and wreck teams!!

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8