Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 31071
Location: Somewhere
Does it mean African refs will no longer be afraid of giving Cam players well-deserved red cards? Will they stop getting fake PK calls? :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

bamedagoat, be very afraid :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Image
AFCON 2015 sweet o
Barren for 35 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 14750
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
theYemster wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Odas wrote:
Switching to every four years is not a good idea, but perhaps they have their reasoning for wanting to make the switch. Let's wait and see what the reasons are. On the other hand, why wanting to change the AFCON tournament to June? Is June not raining season for many West African nations?


They had stated the reasons prior to Ahmad's election and it is clearly kowtowing to UEFA and FOFA. This was part of the deal with FIFA. The stated reasons is because of club v country conflict and having all the Confederations have their nations cup in the same cycle and month. Unfortunately, they did not address the weather or the financial doubts.

I remember making these suggestions years ago regarding switching to the summer and having it in odd years. Yujam and I had a lengthy argument about it and I told him it was only a matter of time.

Four year cycle is good. We have the CHAN to substitute every other year.


TheYrmster
The suggestion is not new. It has been suggested by European clubs for ages.

_________________
Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines
how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 14750
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Bigpokey24 wrote:
I accept every 4 years, I accept June and I accept 24 teams..now the tournament will be bigger and better..4 years os wonderful. .having the afcon every 2 years , water downs the competition. ..however ghana go suffer the baren jokes.


Bigpokey,

I doubt that the idea of watering down is compelling. After all the national leagues and FA Cups occur annually. Are those watered down?

For me the test of Ahmad's changes are not going to be in the media but in the financial books of CAF down the road and also in the cooperation of the climate during the competition. Those will be the tests.

_________________
Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines
how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 11401
Location: Here
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Why switch to every 4 years?? Seems like Ahmad is kowtowing to the euro clubs


Because teams can barely afford to make it every 2 yrs and the station is mostly empty.

How will every 4 years change any of it?

It will just make CAF poorer!

_________________
"Our semi-final victory against Nigeria (won 2-1) in the 1978 AFCON tournament in Kumasi is one of the best games I will remember for the rest of my life.
I remember very well every minute of that game where Phillip Omondi and Godfrey Kisitu scored and I was in the goal posts." -Paul Ssali


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 3835
Enugu II wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
I accept every 4 years, I accept June and I accept 24 teams..now the tournament will be bigger and better..4 years os wonderful. .having the afcon every 2 years , water downs the competition. ..however ghana go suffer the baren jokes.


Bigpokey,

I doubt that the idea of watering down is compelling. After all the national leagues and FA Cups occur annually. Are those watered down?

For me the test of Ahmad's changes are not going to be in the media but in the financial books of CAF down the road and also in the cooperation of the climate during the competition. Those will be the tests.

There was rain at matches of CAN held in January. The majority of African leagues play throughout June including Nigeria. The sponsorship with TOTAL already put more money in the coffers. I'm not sure about expansion to 24 teams except it is based primarily on TV revenue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 11401
Location: Here
Samora Machel wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Why switch to every 4 years?? Seems like Ahmad is kowtowing to the euro clubs


Because teams can barely afford to make it every 2 yrs and the station is mostly empty.



:clap: :clap:
The damn thing at every 2 years it becomes meaningless. Lets have it every 4 years so we can actually miss it mot every 2 years where it becomes boring and too frequent

Be honest, you will still find AFCON boring every 4 years.
I bet you would rather see ManU play LA Galaxy in summer.

Teams like Zimbabwe have benefited a lot from having CHAN and AFCON at the current frequency.

But I know you, like most on CE, don't care about such things. It's the EPL that comes first. :boo:

_________________
"Our semi-final victory against Nigeria (won 2-1) in the 1978 AFCON tournament in Kumasi is one of the best games I will remember for the rest of my life.
I remember very well every minute of that game where Phillip Omondi and Godfrey Kisitu scored and I was in the goal posts." -Paul Ssali


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 11401
Location: Here
mcal wrote:
...every 4 years is economical at least, business wise.

Whose business? CAF? Hell, no!
EPL, UEFA and their player's agents? Yes!

_________________
"Our semi-final victory against Nigeria (won 2-1) in the 1978 AFCON tournament in Kumasi is one of the best games I will remember for the rest of my life.
I remember very well every minute of that game where Phillip Omondi and Godfrey Kisitu scored and I was in the goal posts." -Paul Ssali


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:27 am
Posts: 23750
Location: your girls place
I still think the tournament should be every 2 years. They can scrap the CHAN.

_________________
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

Assanal fans on CE are the biggest hypocrites on the web.

A-J-A-X for life!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 20840
Kabalega wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Why switch to every 4 years?? Seems like Ahmad is kowtowing to the euro clubs


Because teams can barely afford to make it every 2 yrs and the station is mostly empty.



:clap: :clap:
The damn thing at every 2 years it becomes meaningless. Lets have it every 4 years so we can actually miss it mot every 2 years where it becomes boring and too frequent

Be honest, you will still find AFCON boring every 4 years.
I bet you would rather see ManU play LA Galaxy in summer.

Teams like Zimbabwe have benefited a lot from having CHAN and AFCON at the current frequency.

But I know you, like most on CE, don't care about such things. It's the EPL that comes first. :boo:


Chief I am not an EPL zealot at all. Only games I watch are those between top teams and occasionally arsenal and others. At most I will watch 15 EPL games per season and then CL games again involving top teams. I am not going to watch Zenith vs Galatasaray :roll:

_________________
Teboho vs Zodwa Wabantu
https://youtu.be/UO5YzIMyTJ4


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 3835
bret- hart wrote:
I still think the tournament should be every 2 years. They can scrap the CHAN.

CHAN is the defacto AFCON. Without FIFA support & UEFA cooperation CAN is nothing with majority of our top players euro-based. CAF is not an island upon itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 14750
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
folem wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
I accept every 4 years, I accept June and I accept 24 teams..now the tournament will be bigger and better..4 years os wonderful. .having the afcon every 2 years , water downs the competition. ..however ghana go suffer the baren jokes.


Bigpokey,

I doubt that the idea of watering down is compelling. After all the national leagues and FA Cups occur annually. Are those watered down?

For me the test of Ahmad's changes are not going to be in the media but in the financial books of CAF down the road and also in the cooperation of the climate during the competition. Those will be the tests.

There was rain at matches of CAN held in January. The majority of African leagues play throughout June including Nigeria. The sponsorship with TOTAL already put more money in the coffers. I'm not sure about expansion to 24 teams except it is based primarily on TV revenue.


Folem,

The issue is about probability of rain. There is more likelihood of rain in the summer in subsaharan Africa than there is in January. No one claims 0 chance of January rain and thus pointing to rain in the recent CAN does not deny the weather difference between January/February and the summer months in much of the Sub sahara. Ofcourse, African leagues play through June but they deal with the fact that more games are likely to be postponed in the summer. Check games that are put off until Monday in the NPFL during those months, if you follow the league closely as many of us do. Nevertheless, you should be familiar with the weather if you have lived in Nigeria. Perhaps, you are not? In any case, hope you are reading about the rains and floods in Lagos in the past few days. How many times do those occur in January? That is the issue.

Yes, the sponsorship from Total has brought in funds but will CAF depend on that or hope to outstrip that? The idea is that with frequent competition, CAF has more opportunities to attract other sponsors. The CAN is the flagship event and is CAF's cash cow. If Ahmad works hard, he can surely compensate on this issue by finding higher level sponsorship under a 4-year cycle but that is yet to be done and thus the jury is still out on that.

Actually, I like the increase to 24 teams as it will generate more interest across the continent and may be used to get more funds from sponsors since, theoretically, it increases the audience reach of the tournament but that has to be seen as actually occurring.

_________________
Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines
how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:27 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 16555
Location: Ukwuani
theYemster wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Odas wrote:
Switching to every four years is not a good idea, but perhaps they have their reasoning for wanting to make the switch. Let's wait and see what the reasons are. On the other hand, why wanting to change the AFCON tournament to June? Is June not raining season for many West African nations?

They had stated the reasons prior to Ahmad's election and it is clearly kowtowing to UEFA and FOFA. This was part of the deal with FIFA. The stated reasons is because of club v country conflict and having all the Confederations have their nations cup in the same cycle and month. Unfortunately, they did not address the weather or the financial doubts.

I remember making these suggestions years ago regarding switching to the summer and having it in odd years. Yujam and I had a lengthy argument about it and I told him it was only a matter of time.

Four year cycle is good. We have the CHAN to substitute every other year.

"theYemster", you did not address the "raining season" issue which many West African nations (Nigeria for example) deal with in the months of June, July and some parts of August

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:33 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 16555
Location: Ukwuani
Kabalega wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Why switch to every 4 years?? Seems like Ahmad is kowtowing to the euro clubs

Because teams can barely afford to make it every 2 yrs and the station is mostly empty.

How will every 4 years change any of it?

It will just make CAF poorer!

... and that is what I am thinking as well. The opportunities to generate fund through commercials, deals and sponsorship will occur in every four years as well instead of every two. Let's wait and see, perhaps it will work out well, else I do not see how these changes will benefit us.

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:40 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 16555
Location: Ukwuani
Kabalega wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Why switch to every 4 years?? Seems like Ahmad is kowtowing to the euro clubs

Because teams can barely afford to make it every 2 yrs and the station is mostly empty.

:clap: :clap:
The damn thing at every 2 years it becomes meaningless. Lets have it every 4 years so we can actually miss it mot every 2 years where it becomes boring and too frequent

Be honest, you will still find AFCON boring every 4 years.
I bet you would rather see ManU play LA Galaxy in summer.

Teams like Zimbabwe have benefited a lot from having CHAN and AFCON at the current frequency.

But I know you, like most on CE, don't care about such things. It's the EPL that comes first. :boo:

... and that is too bad. They help to kill our games (leagues), praises the Oybo leagues with every little opportunity they might have, turn around and complain of how bad ours are in comparison to other leagues in the world :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:53 am
Posts: 2714
I didn't even know that fool hiyatou have been ousted as the caf President ..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:53 am
Posts: 2714
Keep it every two years ...but move it to summer ...it will keep African countries to develop facilities faster


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:47 pm
Posts: 766
Location: Tora Bora
The South American Championship is held every 2 years and they only have 10 federations to deal with. Footy will suffer in the small countries if we do not have AFCON every 2 years. A lot of tiny islands/countries will end up playing 2 qualifiers every 4 years as opposed to the same every 2 years. As it is, they are not competitive in the continental club cups either. What will they be left with? Sunday, Sunday footy?
The regional championships are crap other than the organization of the Southern African regional cup. Does WAFU even exist any longer? I have never heard of Cameroon being involved in a regional championship. I could be wrong.
Perhaps, a middle ground will be to have the AFCON every 4 years and CHAN in between. The AFCON winner can play in the Confederation cup which will probably be scrapped in the future. It will work in the favor of the smaller countries but Nigeria and Cameroon are going to be F....

_________________
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:20 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 72900
Location: Earth
no body is asking this, how will ghana ever win the AFCON with 24 teams?

They won it last with only 4-8 teams participating .. since it became 12, then 16.. they always fall short

_________________
SuperEagles

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 7572
Location: loughborough.
Olayemi14 wrote:
The South American Championship is held every 2 years and they only have 10 federations to deal with. Footy will suffer in the small countries if we do not have AFCON every 2 years. A lot of tiny islands/countries will end up playing 2 qualifiers every 4 years as opposed to the same every 2 years. As it is, they are not competitive in the continental club cups either. What will they be left with? Sunday, Sunday footy?
The regional championships are crap other than the organization of the Southern African regional cup. Does WAFU even exist any longer? I have never heard of Cameroon being involved in a regional championship. I could be wrong.
Perhaps, a middle ground will be to have the AFCON every 4 years and CHAN in between. The AFCON winner can play in the Confederation cup which will probably be scrapped in the future. It will work in the favor of the smaller countries but Nigeria and Cameroon are going to be F....

I said that earlier!!!

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 3835
Olayemi14 wrote:
The South American Championship is held every 2 years and they only have 10 federations to deal with. Footy will suffer in the small countries if we do not have AFCON every 2 years. A lot of tiny islands/countries will end up playing 2 qualifiers every 4 years as opposed to the same every 2 years. As it is, they are not competitive in the continental club cups either. What will they be left with? Sunday, Sunday footy?
The regional championships are crap other than the organization of the Southern African regional cup. Does WAFU even exist any longer? I have never heard of Cameroon being involved in a regional championship. I could be wrong.
Perhaps, a middle ground will be to have the AFCON every 4 years and CHAN in between. The AFCON winner can play in the Confederation cup which will probably be scrapped in the future. It will work in the favor of the smaller countries but Nigeria and Cameroon are going to be F....

CONMEBOL reverted to 4 years interval immediately FIFA proposed it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:47 pm
Posts: 766
Location: Tora Bora
Agreed. Copa is every 4 years but CAF needs more regular footy. We barely play friendly games as it is. UEFA are encouraging more participation across the board but this will kill African footy. We do not have the infrastructure and regional footy is not it.

folem wrote:
Olayemi14 wrote:
The South American Championship is held every 2 years and they only have 10 federations to deal with. Footy will suffer in the small countries if we do not have AFCON every 2 years. A lot of tiny islands/countries will end up playing 2 qualifiers every 4 years as opposed to the same every 2 years. As it is, they are not competitive in the continental club cups either. What will they be left with? Sunday, Sunday footy?
The regional championships are crap other than the organization of the Southern African regional cup. Does WAFU even exist any longer? I have never heard of Cameroon being involved in a regional championship. I could be wrong.
Perhaps, a middle ground will be to have the AFCON every 4 years and CHAN in between. The AFCON winner can play in the Confederation cup which will probably be scrapped in the future. It will work in the favor of the smaller countries but Nigeria and Cameroon are going to be F....

CONMEBOL reverted to 4 years interval immediately FIFA proposed it.

_________________
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 3835
Olayemi14 wrote:
Agreed. Copa is every 4 years but CAF needs more regular footy. We barely play friendly games as it is. UEFA are encouraging more participation across the board but this will kill African footy. We do not have the infrastructure and regional footy is not it.

folem wrote:
Olayemi14 wrote:
The South American Championship is held every 2 years and they only have 10 federations to deal with. Footy will suffer in the small countries if we do not have AFCON every 2 years. A lot of tiny islands/countries will end up playing 2 qualifiers every 4 years as opposed to the same every 2 years. As it is, they are not competitive in the continental club cups either. What will they be left with? Sunday, Sunday footy?
The regional championships are crap other than the organization of the Southern African regional cup. Does WAFU even exist any longer? I have never heard of Cameroon being involved in a regional championship. I could be wrong.
Perhaps, a middle ground will be to have the AFCON every 4 years and CHAN in between. The AFCON winner can play in the Confederation cup which will probably be scrapped in the future. It will work in the favor of the smaller countries but Nigeria and Cameroon are going to be F....

CONMEBOL reverted to 4 years interval immediately FIFA proposed it.


You need to understand the genesis of restructuring the football calendar. It has been on since Havelange era but only got finalised during Blatter era. There was a need to have a harmonised calendar. With the calendar everybody gets regular footy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:25 am
Posts: 31604
Location: ßos✞on ✈️ Mo✞own ✈️ Lægos
Enugu II wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Odas wrote:
Switching to every four years is not a good idea, but perhaps they have their reasoning for wanting to make the switch. Let's wait and see what the reasons are. On the other hand, why wanting to change the AFCON tournament to June? Is June not raining season for many West African nations?


They had stated the reasons prior to Ahmad's election and it is clearly kowtowing to UEFA and FOFA. This was part of the deal with FIFA. The stated reasons is because of club v country conflict and having all the Confederations have their nations cup in the same cycle and month. Unfortunately, they did not address the weather or the financial doubts.

I remember making these suggestions years ago regarding switching to the summer and having it in odd years. Yujam and I had a lengthy argument about it and I told him it was only a matter of time.

Four year cycle is good. We have the CHAN to substitute every other year.


TheYrmster
The suggestion is not new. It has been suggested by European clubs for ages.

Yes that's when the argument with Yujam started. And besides the only thing the European clubs suggested was moving the AFCON to the summer. The move to odd years was one I had suggested.

_________________
O-Qua Tangin Wann! "It's all laughs till he walks into an empty room with plastic on the floor." - Goodfellas

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bigpokey24, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Odas, walesvilla and 57 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group