Ahmad's PayBack Time: Cameroon May be Stripped of 2019

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ahmad's PayBack Time: Cameroon May be Stripped of 2019

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Does it mean African refs will no longer be afraid of giving Cam players well-deserved red cards? Will they stop getting fake PK calls? :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

bamedagoat, be very afraid :lol: :lol: :lol:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

theYemster wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Odas wrote:Switching to every four years is not a good idea, but perhaps they have their reasoning for wanting to make the switch. Let's wait and see what the reasons are. On the other hand, why wanting to change the AFCON tournament to June? Is June not raining season for many West African nations?
They had stated the reasons prior to Ahmad's election and it is clearly kowtowing to UEFA and FOFA. This was part of the deal with FIFA. The stated reasons is because of club v country conflict and having all the Confederations have their nations cup in the same cycle and month. Unfortunately, they did not address the weather or the financial doubts.
I remember making these suggestions years ago regarding switching to the summer and having it in odd years. Yujam and I had a lengthy argument about it and I told him it was only a matter of time.

Four year cycle is good. We have the CHAN to substitute every other year.
TheYrmster
The suggestion is not new. It has been suggested by European clubs for ages.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bigpokey24 wrote:I accept every 4 years, I accept June and I accept 24 teams..now the tournament will be bigger and better..4 years os wonderful. .having the afcon every 2 years , water downs the competition. ..however ghana go suffer the baren jokes.
Bigpokey,

I doubt that the idea of watering down is compelling. After all the national leagues and FA Cups occur annually. Are those watered down?

For me the test of Ahmad's changes are not going to be in the media but in the financial books of CAF down the road and also in the cooperation of the climate during the competition. Those will be the tests.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
deanotito wrote:Why switch to every 4 years?? Seems like Ahmad is kowtowing to the euro clubs
Because teams can barely afford to make it every 2 yrs and the station is mostly empty.
How will every 4 years change any of it?

It will just make CAF poorer!
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:I accept every 4 years, I accept June and I accept 24 teams..now the tournament will be bigger and better..4 years os wonderful. .having the afcon every 2 years , water downs the competition. ..however ghana go suffer the baren jokes.
Bigpokey,

I doubt that the idea of watering down is compelling. After all the national leagues and FA Cups occur annually. Are those watered down?

For me the test of Ahmad's changes are not going to be in the media but in the financial books of CAF down the road and also in the cooperation of the climate during the competition. Those will be the tests.
There was rain at matches of CAN held in January. The majority of African leagues play throughout June including Nigeria. The sponsorship with TOTAL already put more money in the coffers. I'm not sure about expansion to 24 teams except it is based primarily on TV revenue.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Samora Machel wrote:
deanotito wrote:Why switch to every 4 years?? Seems like Ahmad is kowtowing to the euro clubs
Because teams can barely afford to make it every 2 yrs and the station is mostly empty.

:clap: :clap:
The damn thing at every 2 years it becomes meaningless. Lets have it every 4 years so we can actually miss it mot every 2 years where it becomes boring and too frequent
Be honest, you will still find AFCON boring every 4 years.
I bet you would rather see ManU play LA Galaxy in summer.

Teams like Zimbabwe have benefited a lot from having CHAN and AFCON at the current frequency.

But I know you, like most on CE, don't care about such things. It's the EPL that comes first. :boo:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

mcal wrote:...every 4 years is economical at least, business wise.
Whose business? CAF? Hell, no!
EPL, UEFA and their player's agents? Yes!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

I still think the tournament should be every 2 years. They can scrap the CHAN.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Kabalega wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:

The damn thing at every 2 years it becomes meaningless. Lets have it every 4 years so we can actually miss it mot every 2 years where it becomes boring and too frequent

Teams like Zimbabwe have benefited a lot from having CHAN and AFCON at the current frequency.

But I know you, like most on CE, don't care about such things. It's the EPL that comes first. :boo:
Chief I am not an EPL zealot at all. Only games I watch are those between top teams and occasionally arsenal and others. At most I will watch 15 EPL games per season and then CL games again involving top teams. I am not going to watch Zenith vs Galatasaray :roll:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

bret- hart wrote:I still think the tournament should be every 2 years. They can scrap the CHAN.
CHAN is the defacto AFCON. Without FIFA support & UEFA cooperation CAN is nothing with majority of our top players euro-based. CAF is not an island upon itself.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

folem wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Bigpokey,

There was rain at matches of CAN held in January. The majority of African leagues play throughout June including Nigeria. The sponsorship with TOTAL already put more money in the coffers. I'm not sure about expansion to 24 teams except it is based primarily on TV revenue.
Folem,

The issue is about probability of rain. There is more likelihood of rain in the summer in subsaharan Africa than there is in January. No one claims 0 chance of January rain and thus pointing to rain in the recent CAN does not deny the weather difference between January/February and the summer months in much of the Sub sahara. Ofcourse, African leagues play through June but they deal with the fact that more games are likely to be postponed in the summer. Check games that are put off until Monday in the NPFL during those months, if you follow the league closely as many of us do. Nevertheless, you should be familiar with the weather if you have lived in Nigeria. Perhaps, you are not? In any case, hope you are reading about the rains and floods in Lagos in the past few days. How many times do those occur in January? That is the issue.

Yes, the sponsorship from Total has brought in funds but will CAF depend on that or hope to outstrip that? The idea is that with frequent competition, CAF has more opportunities to attract other sponsors. The CAN is the flagship event and is CAF's cash cow. If Ahmad works hard, he can surely compensate on this issue by finding higher level sponsorship under a 4-year cycle but that is yet to be done and thus the jury is still out on that.

Actually, I like the increase to 24 teams as it will generate more interest across the continent and may be used to get more funds from sponsors since, theoretically, it increases the audience reach of the tournament but that has to be seen as actually occurring.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

theYemster wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Odas wrote:Switching to every four years is not a good idea, but perhaps they have their reasoning for wanting to make the switch. Let's wait and see what the reasons are. On the other hand, why wanting to change the AFCON tournament to June? Is June not raining season for many West African nations?
They had stated the reasons prior to Ahmad's election and it is clearly kowtowing to UEFA and FOFA. This was part of the deal with FIFA. The stated reasons is because of club v country conflict and having all the Confederations have their nations cup in the same cycle and month. Unfortunately, they did not address the weather or the financial doubts.
I remember making these suggestions years ago regarding switching to the summer and having it in odd years. Yujam and I had a lengthy argument about it and I told him it was only a matter of time.

"theYemster", you did not address the "raining season" issue which many West African nations (Nigeria for example) deal with in the months of June, July and some parts of August
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kabalega wrote:
How will every 4 years change any of it?

It will just make CAF poorer!
... and that is what I am thinking as well. The opportunities to generate fund through commercials, deals and sponsorship will occur in every four years as well instead of every two. Let's wait and see, perhaps it will work out well, else I do not see how these changes will benefit us.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kabalega wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:

... and that is too bad. They help to kill our games (leagues), praises the Oybo leagues with every little opportunity they might have, turn around and complain of how bad ours are in comparison to other leagues in the world :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

I didn't even know that fool hiyatou have been ousted as the caf President ..
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Keep it every two years ...but move it to summer ...it will keep African countries to develop facilities faster
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

The South American Championship is held every 2 years and they only have 10 federations to deal with. Footy will suffer in the small countries if we do not have AFCON every 2 years. A lot of tiny islands/countries will end up playing 2 qualifiers every 4 years as opposed to the same every 2 years. As it is, they are not competitive in the continental club cups either. What will they be left with? Sunday, Sunday footy?
The regional championships are crap other than the organization of the Southern African regional cup. Does WAFU even exist any longer? I have never heard of Cameroon being involved in a regional championship. I could be wrong.
Perhaps, a middle ground will be to have the AFCON every 4 years and CHAN in between. The AFCON winner can play in the Confederation cup which will probably be scrapped in the future. It will work in the favor of the smaller countries but Nigeria and Cameroon are going to be F....
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

no body is asking this, how will ghana ever win the AFCON with 24 teams?

They won it last with only 4-8 teams participating .. since it became 12, then 16.. they always fall short
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Olayemi14 wrote:The South American Championship is held every 2 years and they only have 10 federations to deal with. Footy will suffer in the small countries if we do not have AFCON every 2 years. A lot of tiny islands/countries will end up playing 2 qualifiers every 4 years as opposed to the same every 2 years. As it is, they are not competitive in the continental club cups either. What will they be left with? Sunday, Sunday footy?
The regional championships are crap other than the organization of the Southern African regional cup. Does WAFU even exist any longer? I have never heard of Cameroon being involved in a regional championship. I could be wrong.
Perhaps, a middle ground will be to have the AFCON every 4 years and CHAN in between. The AFCON winner can play in the Confederation cup which will probably be scrapped in the future. It will work in the favor of the smaller countries but Nigeria and Cameroon are going to be F....
I said that earlier!!!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Olayemi14 wrote:The South American Championship is held every 2 years and they only have 10 federations to deal with. Footy will suffer in the small countries if we do not have AFCON every 2 years. A lot of tiny islands/countries will end up playing 2 qualifiers every 4 years as opposed to the same every 2 years. As it is, they are not competitive in the continental club cups either. What will they be left with? Sunday, Sunday footy?
CONMEBOL reverted to 4 years interval immediately FIFA proposed it.
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

Agreed. Copa is every 4 years but CAF needs more regular footy. We barely play friendly games as it is. UEFA are encouraging more participation across the board but this will kill African footy. We do not have the infrastructure and regional footy is not it.
folem wrote:
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Olayemi14 wrote:Agreed. Copa is every 4 years but CAF needs more regular footy. We barely play friendly games as it is. UEFA are encouraging more participation across the board but this will kill African footy. We do not have the infrastructure and regional footy is not it.
folem wrote:
You need to understand the genesis of restructuring the football calendar. It has been on since Havelange era but only got finalised during Blatter era. There was a need to have a harmonised calendar. With the calendar everybody gets regular footy.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

TheYrmster
The suggestion is not new. It has been suggested by European clubs for ages.
Yes that's when the argument with Yujam started. And besides the only thing the European clubs suggested was moving the AFCON to the summer. The move to odd years was one I had suggested.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯