Selecting Nigeria's Best Ever.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Selecting Nigeria's Best Ever.....

Post by Enugu II »

The G.O.A.T is restricted considerably to those players who featured prominently for the senior national team. A player's overall accomplishment for his club, Nigerian or foreign, does not override that factor. After all, this is the G.O.A.T. of Nigerian players which essentially requires eligibility based on playing for a Nigerian national team.
We believe that a player considered for G.O.A.T. is one who significantly affects the team statistics of that period. This assumption allows us, therefore, to use some team statistics to gain insight on these players. There are three major calculations that we undertake
Importantly, on the three statistics, Enyeama is first in rate of conceding goals at the lowest of 0.73 per game and second in the other two categories. Rufai had the best percentage in clean sheets but his efficiency is low. Okala is first on efficiency but third on the other two categories.
Details can be found by clicking the link below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2017/07/a ... -goat.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Selecting Nigeria's Best Ever.....

Post by Dammy »

Stephen Okechukwu Keshi is the GOAT.
I am happy
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Enugu II,
You omitted one other factor when considering a GOAT:
The overall influence on the game (on & off the field)

Some call it the x-factor

The GOAT must have so much influence on the game that the player is a familiar name even beyond the traditional realms of football (in other words, the player widens the appeal of the game, even to people who ordinarily would not have been interested in football)

This factor is significant because it is more measurable than the subjective factor of technical ability of a player

Call it LEGEND, if you please...

So, I humbly submit Yisa Sofoluwe is removed from your list of defenders...
Surely, these LFB's merit the x-factor above Yisa:
Isima
Ojebode
Iroha

They won continental honours for club or country; Yisa won nada...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Please not Ojebode
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle EII, it seems you just like to type things on your blog sometime. How can you list the Great players, especially defenders Nigeria has ever produce and not even mention the Great Yobo? That single mistake rubbishes the whole article. I stopped reading at that point and I urge everyone to stop reading at that point as well.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...exactly, my tribe, my village, my people or else this is rubbish. My tribe over country ala Trump and republicans over USA :laugh:
Okocha10
Egg
Egg

Post by Okocha10 »

1naija wrote:Uncle EII, it seems you just like to type things on your blog sometime. How can you list the Great players, especially defenders Nigeria has ever produce and not even mention the Great Yobo? That single mistake rubbishes the whole article. I stopped reading at that point and I urge everyone to stop reading at that point as well.
Yobo? Ok, if thats the case then abeg Enugu II why you no add Austin Eguavon, Taribo West even babayaro. :mad:
<b> EGBON MEKUS OF CYBEREAGUS</b>
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Okocha10 wrote:
1naija wrote:Uncle EII, it seems you just like to type things on your blog sometime. How can you list the Great players, especially defenders Nigeria has ever produce and not even mention the Great Yobo? That single mistake rubbishes the whole article. I stopped reading at that point and I urge everyone to stop reading at that point as well.
Yobo? Ok, if thats the case then abeg Enugu II why you no add Austin Eguavon, Taribo West even babayaro. :mad:

No player before the 94 team should be considered greatest of anything. They never played in any world competition. Never faced the best players in the world like Yobo did for 15 years, never won jack outside of the Nations cup they won at home with lots of questionable calls. Even Zaire went to the WC and they couldn't. They were all village champions.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:
Okocha10 wrote:

No player before the 94 team should be considered greatest of anything. They never played in any world competition. Never faced the best players in the world like Yobo did for 15 years, never won jack outside of the Nations cup they won at home with lots of questionable calls. Even Zaire went to the WC and they couldn't. They were all village champions.
1naija,

Your bros Yobo isn't named ooo! He will be named in the All Time Galaxy team. :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics