AFCON 2019 - 24 teams

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Thelastoneleft
Egg
Egg
Re: AFCON 2019 - 24 teams

Post by Thelastoneleft »

nianiote wrote:Was Cameroon even consulted before taking this decision ?
Why change the rule for the very next AFCON ? 2019 is very close.
I'm not sure they will be ready for the additional stadiums and infrastucture this decision implies.
I think Morocco is CAF backup plan.
Why should they have been consulted? It is clear that even with 16 teams, Cameroon could still not host it anyways. Please, CAF should let a real country host the AFCON 2019, and Cameroon is not it
Thelastoneleft
Egg
Egg

Post by Thelastoneleft »

ohenhen1 wrote:Cameroon should challenge this decision. Maybe a joint bid with another country. Similar to what happened in 2000, Nigeria and Ghana joining forces to host the Afcon. We do have Stadiums in Akwa Ibom and Rivers ready to host the event. I think it will be unfair to take the Afcon from Cameroon now
and give it to Morocco. The same country that abandoned the chance to host the event over fears of a Ebola crisis.
No, it is not unfair to repeal Cameroon´s hosting right. What is indeed unfair is that they won the right to host in the first place.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Thelastoneleft wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Cameroon should challenge this decision. Maybe a joint bid with another country. Similar to what happened in 2000, Nigeria and Ghana joining forces to host the Afcon. We do have Stadiums in Akwa Ibom and Rivers ready to host the event. I think it will be unfair to take the Afcon from Cameroon now
and give it to Morocco. The same country that abandoned the chance to host the event over fears of a Ebola crisis.
No, it is not unfair to repeal Cameroon´s hosting right. What is indeed unfair is that they won the right to host in the first place.
It is unfair to make this changes at this time and expect Cameroon to be ready. Cameroon is building two new stadiums and are fixing 4 others. Cameroon should seek legal action against CAF if they are stripped of the hosting rights. Or they can work out a deal to allow Cameroon to co host it with Gabon or Nigeria.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Thelastoneleft
Egg
Egg

Post by Thelastoneleft »

People, let´s get real here, Cameroon cannot host the AFCON, not even the most simplified former 8 team version. The just dont have the infrastructure, viz, stadia, hotels, roads, portable water etc. Do not get fooled, all the stadia Cameroon claim they have or are building or are renovating are only in their minds and on paper, just like most other things about the country. Let´s be honest, Cameroon is not a real Country.

If we let the AFCON go to Cameroon, I swear Africa will be disgraced to the whole world. I can guarantee you that you will see games in mud pools.

Not only that, foreign female visitors will be at great risk. Cameroon´s Gendarmes and BIRs are very well known for raping women with impunity. They will terrorize visitors for bribes and rape women who do not comply and no one would do them anything. Even foreign journalist who would try to report such cases will be arrest and sent to concentration camps.

Tell me, is this the kind of jungle you want to host the African football festival?

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Limbe and Yaounde stadiums are ready.
Apparently so are 9 others.

But the problem is not stadiums but accommodation, security, transportation, communications systems, e.t.c....
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Kabalega wrote:Limbe and Yaounde stadiums are ready.

But the problem is not stadiums but accommodation, security, transportation, communications systems, e.t.c....
Cameroon should look for co host. to share the burden. I don't want Morocco to host it. I am still not happy about how they refused to host the tournament last time around due to the Ebola scare.

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

ohenhen1 wrote:

Cameroon should look for co host. to share the burden. I don't want Morocco to host it. I am still not happy about how they refused to host the tournament last time around due to the Ebola scare.

co host with who? Gabon and EGuinea already hosted.I say let an east Africacounyry host. Kenya, Ethiopia, Zambia, Tanzania can host .
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

The biggest problem is if anybody will show up
Most Africans can't afford the trip
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

We all saw how this worked out at the Euros when a team finished third in their group, with zero wins got the weaker side of the knockout bracket and won the tournament.
Thelastoneleft
Egg
Egg

Post by Thelastoneleft »

ohenhen1 wrote:Image

ohenhen, you make me laugh. You dont know Cameroun. Cameroun is a country where everything is only on paper and in their minds. Apart from the Limbe stadium that was constructed last year, those other pictures you showed exists only on paper, computer screens and in the minds of delusional Camerounese. See ohenhen, Cameroun is not a real country!!

By the way, even with the Limbe stadium, where are the hotels, hospitals, roads and other facilities to welcome the world? Where will the teams train in Limbe.

Having said all that, I should warn you that the brutal savages called Cameroun Gendarmes (in Cameroun, they are aptly called Boko Gendarme) and BIRs and even policemen will rape your women and girls with impunity. That is how unsafe that sh!thole of a country is. Cameroun is not a real country
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Cameroon must host the nation cup. Bring development to every part of Africa. A co host will solve the problems.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

This is a very smart move by CAF and it willbenefit many AFrican teams... the season ends in may...the tourney will be in June /July ..so at least the SE will have like almost 4 weeks camping
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:Further dilution of a tournament which has been low on quality for several years.
The Yeyeman,

TBH, I think the argument of dilution is quite spurious. It was used when the WC went from 16 to 14, from 24 to 32 and now from 32 to 48. Guess what, fans always get used to it and teams that are considered minnow catch u[p to others in terms of being difficult to beat. I expect the same to occur with AFCON. Already CAF has about 14 teams that are considered top notch in the continent. The other ten are not far behind and in this group include the likes of Kenya and Tanzania that have created frightful moments for Nigeria. Lets see how you feel after two editions of the new format. I can already predict. :rotf:

Not only is it not spurious, but your counter argument is very weak. FIFA is picking from a pool that is of a much higher standard and much greater diversity.

On the other hand, the quality of AFCON has consistently declined in the last two decades. Now you are expanding to draw in teams of even lower quality!

As I stated, the argument about dilution is a very poor one. It has not stood the test of time at the World Cup level and will not stand that same test in either Europe or Africa. IMHO, it is a shortsighted argument that assumes that simply increasing the number of teams that converge in one place for a tournament equals dilution. I could write a page to undermine this argument that is largely a nonstarter. Now, we should exempt the WC because the argument no longer holds water but you forget that it was made when the teams increased to 24 and then 32 and now top 48. The fact the argument was made and was later found wanting should be enough to make you wonder about the strength of such argument.

Further, note that over 50 teams contest for the AFCON whenever it is scheduled. All this does is talk a large part of those qualifiers to a venue to still determine an AFCON final. I do not see how those set of AFCON games suddenly becomes diluted.

BTW, here are 18 teams that have given us or any of the African top guns fits and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future (I have included the top guns also):

1. South Africa
2. Zambia
3. Congo DR
4. Congo Rep.
5. Uganda
6. Tunisia
7. Algeria
8. Egypt
9. Morocco
10. Zimbabwe
11. Cameroon
12. Senegal
13. I/Coast
14. Togo
15. Nigeria
16. Ghana
17. Burkina Faso
18. Mali
19. Cape Verde
20. Guinea

Now tell me about dilution. I have not included Kenya, Ethiopia, Guinea Bissau, Angola, Gabon, Tanzania that are just a rung below. I have skipped NIger Republic and Botswana that were recently in a 16-team AFCON. Talk of dilution.

What I may agree with you is that the format, like the Euros, may adversely affect the quality of the game i.e. they are likely to lack entertainment because a draw is beneficial. But the quality of the teams will not be below what the AFCON generally gets. The pool of strong teams is deep enough to carry a 24-team tournament.
do not waste your time Enugu..left to me nah 32 teams i for like
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... ease-teams
The expansion to 24 teams is not even debatable. It is a terrible idea, diluting the quality and rendering the group stage a slog of largely meaningless football. There will be those who claim an expanded tournament gives a chance to smaller nations and point to the experiences of Wales, Iceland and Northern Ireland at the 2016 European Championship, ignoring the fact that all three would have qualified for a 16-team tournament. In France last summer it took 36 games to reduce 24 teams to 16. Based on the qualifying record, that in effect meant substituting the Republic of Ireland and Hungary for Austria and the Czech Republic. Neither reached the quarter-finals. This is supposed to be elite sport, not a GLC sports day.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Will the football be better or meaningful? Will it help African sides prepare for the challenge of the World Cup? Is this, in any broad sense, good for the game? Of course not but who still cares about that?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... ease-teams
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

The YeyeMan wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... ease-teams
The expansion to 24 teams is not even debatable. It is a terrible idea, diluting the quality and rendering the group stage a slog of largely meaningless football. There will be those who claim an expanded tournament gives a chance to smaller nations and point to the experiences of Wales, Iceland and Northern Ireland at the 2016 European Championship, ignoring the fact that all three would have qualified for a 16-team tournament. In France last summer it took 36 games to reduce 24 teams to 16. Based on the qualifying record, that in effect meant substituting the Republic of Ireland and Hungary for Austria and the Czech Republic. Neither reached the quarter-finals. This is supposed to be elite sport, not a GLC sports day.
You skipped the good part. :biggrin:
Increase the number of finalists by 50% and you decrease your chance of missing out. More than that, you decrease the chances of the vital markets of Nigeria and South Africa missing out.

Pinnick is a clever cat! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

KPOM!
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Kabalega wrote:
Increase the number of finalists by 50% and you decrease your chance of missing out. More than that, you decrease the chances of the vital markets of Nigeria and South Africa missing out.

I think missing out of 2 CAN tourneys screwed Pinnick up. That may probably be his motivation because missing out yet again looks possible. The current talk of giving a weak South African PSL 4 CAFCL slots is just absurd. Ahmad is allowing misuse of power @ CAF just to get back at Hayatou, it seems. Changing CAN rules in the middle of the game is just not ok.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

folem wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

I think missing out of 2 CAN tourneys screwed Pinnick up. That may probably be his motivation because missing out yet again looks possible. The current talk of giving a weak South African PSL 4 CAFCL slots is just absurd. Ahmad is allowing misuse of power @ CAF just to get back at Hayatou, it seems. Changing CAN rules in the middle of the game is just not ok.
It's Africa teams pull halfway through qualifiers and mess up group standings all the time no one is compensated,complaints are ignored and the empty stadiums never raise alarms!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
ifect70
Egg
Egg

Post by ifect70 »

ohenhen1 wrote:So Nigeria can finish 3rd in the group and still qualify for the Nations cup?
Wow, very interesting. Nigeria played only one AFCON qualifying game, admitted bad loss at home and all of a sudden, some Nigerians are writing off the team. I personally believe Nigeria would still top the group because they will beat SA in Johannesburg and probably not loose another game in the qualifiers. Remember, just a few months ago, they defeated Zambia in Lusaka and Algeria at home. Just a little set back. Regardless of the 24 team format, Nigeria would qualify, period.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

ifect70 wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:So Nigeria can finish 3rd in the group and still qualify for the Nations cup?
Wow, very interesting. Nigeria played only one AFCON qualifying game, admitted bad loss at home and all of a sudden, some Nigerians are writing off the team. I personally believe Nigeria would still top the group because they will beat SA in Johannesburg and probably not loose another game in the qualifiers. Remember, just a few months ago, they defeated Zambia in Lusaka and Algeria at home. Just a little set back. Regardless of the 24 team format, Nigeria would qualify, period.
This is just blind patriotism!
Look at the footie on the green grass.

Zambia and Algeria were going through a bad spell when Nigeria beat them.
This is not the case with SA who are on the up and up.

Nigeria would have to improve drastically in order to beat SA.
Last edited by Kabalega on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.