AFCON 2019 - 24 teams

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

nianiote
Egg
Egg
AFCON 2019 - 24 teams

Post by nianiote »

http://www.cafonline.com/en-US/NewsCent ... 0AZw%3d%3d
I – CAF African Football Symposium
The CAF Executive Committee, at its meeting on Thursday, 20 July 2017, in Rabat, Morocco, reviewed the resolutions of the various working groups of the 1st CAF African Football Symposium held from 18 -19 July 2017 at the Palais des Congrès in Skhirat, near Rabat.

The Committee advocated the establishment of a working group to work on the implementation of the resolutions and propose short, medium and long term implementation timetables. However, a consensus emerged on a number of issues raised by the working groups;

Working group 1: AFCON - Competition and specifications
Increasing the Africa Cup of Nations to 24 teams as of the 2019 edition, and the tournament will now be held in the months of June and July. The competition will however remain a biennial event (every two years), odd years and exclusively held on African soil with African national teams.

Working group 2: Inter-club competitions
It was agreed by the Committee to maintain the current format, but to proceed in the future to a change in timing for interclub competitions which are expected to start from August to May.

Working group 3: Football development (Coaching, Refereeing, Medical)
The principle of increasing the indemnities of referees was approved.
The Committee expressed its determination to explore all scientific and medical solutions that could eradicate the phenomenon of age cheating, likewise a research that can help to determine the causes of sudden death among footballers, of which majority of the victims are of African origin.

Working group 4: Youth Football
The Committee decided to organize zonal qualifiers for the Africa Cup of Nations for the youth categories (U-17, U-20, U-23), with the flexibility offered to each zone to propose a formula. The committee also resolved to strengthen medical checks in determining the eligibility of players.

Working group 5: International Partnerships
The Committee recognizes the urgent need for improved relations between CAF, its member associations, Governments and the African Union.

Working group 6: Communication and Media
The Executive Committee was clearly in support of suggestions made for the improvement of CAF's communication tools on the digital platforms and social media, in particular the creation of a website in line with the standards of CAF. The Committee committed itself, with a view to strengthening the specifications of the competitions, taking into account the expectations of the media.

Working group 8: Football players, Roles and Perspectives
The Committee endorsed the principle of creating a framework for cooperation with legendary African footballers and their greater involvement in CAF activities.

II - Competitions
Total CHAN Kenya 2018
A new inspection visit will be conducted at the end of August 2017 to assess progress following the June 2017 mission.

Total AFCON Cameroon 2019
Inspection will be conducted in early September.

Total U-23 AFCON
Zambia formally withdrew from the hosting of the 2019 edition. The committee called for the opening of bids for the selection of a new host country.

Beach-Soccer AFCON
The Committee decided to grant the 2018 edition to Egypt, the only country which expressed interest in the organization at the end of the deadline for the call for applications.

Interclub Competitions
The Committee noted the lifting of the suspension of Sudan by FIFA and indicated that the Sudanese clubs engaged in the Total CAF Champions League and Total CAF Confederation Cup are not disqualified, but in accordance with the regulations, are declared losers of the Day Six matches of the group stage.
As a result, Sudanese club, Hilal El Obeid is qualified for the quarterfinals of the Total CAF Confederation Cup.
Will Cameroon be ready?
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: AFCON 2019 - 24 teams

Post by anointed »

Even a bigger (24 teams) AFCON in the traditional period isn't good.

We saw so many uninteresting games lacking quality at Euro last year following the expansion of the tourney to 24.

It gives room to a lot countries who cannot command 1,000 of their own fans to attend their games, not because patriotism is lacking but cos the quality ain't just there.

Even with 16 teams, the AFCON still struggles to fill stadia in a 32-game tourney...now we want to jump to 52 games.

I think CAF is testing unknown and unchartered waters. It's also annoying that CAF has this annoying penchant for serially x-raying whatever UEFA does. The CAF CL started just after the UEFA CL birthed. Confederations Cup was the offspring of the ACWC and CAF Cup merger just immediately after UEFA eclipsed both the ECWC & UEFA Cup into Europa Cup. Even the 16-team AFCON debuted in 1994, 2 years after UEFA increased its Euro size to 16 in 1992. Can't we get a CAF with an original and independent thinking faculty?

I just want us to be original at times. Back in 1992, we had the chance to make AFCON 16 teams but we went for a skewed 12 teams but as soon as Euro upped the ante to 16 in 1992, following the 8 in 1988, we followed suit.

This fuels the innuendos and insinuations that the powers that be in football, particularly the football clubs who often take the hit during AFCONs, had a huge say in the last CAF elections a la Russia in the US elections.

I do not for once think a biennial or 4-yearly 24-team AFCON will be better than the current format.

We have the climate think about for starters. It means it will be difficult for sub-Sahara Africa to host a 52-game tourney in our rainy season. They call it Summer, but we don't have Summers; we have rainy seasons. Maybe if someone in Cairo starts to call it rainy season, it will make better sense relative to the African cause much more than calling it Summer, a season that the greater part of Africa never experiences.

In this connection, a 'Summer' AFCON only creases European egos rather fulfils African expectations.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

Now all of you can see, why it just has to be ......

...... Arsenal for life ! :D
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

I believe CAF should have kept its 16 team format for the purpose of quality. However, the timing could be adjusted a little bit. Back in the day, when the March date was shifted to early in the year, the adjustment didn’t really maximize the mid-season break allowed by most countries except England. Then, afcon was held in January but these days, it’s now January/February, which still clashed with European football.

So why not hold afcon during that particular time in December/January when there is mid-season break in Europe? That 3 weeks will be something even though I know the leading countries will need up to 6 weeks including preparations for afcon. Only heady England that refuses to have a mid-season break will be affected.

And the fact that England has stuck to its business-minded Christmas season football schedule is enough reason to stick with ours too. In as much as we have the support of fifa for the release of players, we shouldn’t have kowtowed to European clubs lobbying and indirect hand in this obnoxious CAF ruling.

Issa Hayatou might have been leading CAF for too long but props to him that he refused to bow to Europe. Even small Qatar has forced a shift in the European season ahead of the 2022 World Cup but for us, we had to back down. Only Africa gets to behave sheepish like this.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

anointed wrote:I believe CAF should have kept its 16 team format for the purpose of quality. However, the timing could be adjusted a little bit. Back in the day, when the March date was shifted to early in the year, the adjustment didn’t really maximize the mid-season break allowed by most countries except England. Then, afcon was held in January but these days, it’s now January/February, which still clashed with European football.

So why not hold afcon during that particular time in December/January when there is mid-season break in Europe? That 3 weeks will be something even though I know the leading countries will need up to 6 weeks including preparations for afcon. Only heady England that refuses to have a mid-season break will be affected.

And the fact that England has stuck to its business-minded Christmas season football schedule is enough reason to stick with ours too. In as much as we have the support of fifa for the release of players, we shouldn’t have kowtowed to European clubs lobbying and indirect hand in this obnoxious CAF ruling.

Issa Hayatou might have been leading CAF for too long but props to him that he refused to bow to Europe. Even small Qatar has forced a shift in the European season ahead of the 2022 World Cup but for us, we had to back down. Only Africa gets to behave sheepish like this.
KPAM and KPAM! As for Qatar, I'd say :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: to them!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

I don't think the issue was much about Caf just following UEFA's schedule as it is the issue it was for the players themselves.

And yes I get it, we are sovereign as a continent and should act within our own interests. Fact is, most of those we want to see, whether we admit it or not are the best of our African players representing their countries during AFCON and for the most part they play in Europe. While we argue back and forth as to how Qatar can schedule a wc when they want and get away with it, fact is that instance would be a one off. Some were stating how lucky Iwobi was not having to leave arsenal to play AFCON. Many of those players I am sure welcome this news inspite of how we may feel this takes away from what we stand for.

...... Arsenal for life ! :D

...... Naija for Eternity ! 8-)
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

This is very very good news for Naija
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

So Nigeria can finish 3rd in the group and still qualify for the Nations cup?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

ohenhen1 wrote:So Nigeria can finish 3rd in the group and still qualify for the Nations cup?
True.
Great news for Naija
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Rawlings wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:So Nigeria can finish 3rd in the group and still qualify for the Nations cup?
True.
Great news for Naija

Bad news for Niaja. I don't like it.

12 group winners and 11 runner up qualify. There is still a chance Nigeria will not qualify for the Nations cup.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
True.
Great news for Naija

Bad news for Niaja. I don't like it.

12 group winners and 11 runner up qualify. There is still a chance Nigeria will not qualify for the Nations cup.
Ohenhen1,

Two teams qualify from each group to total 24 teams from 12 groups. The host, remember, is in one of the groups and will qualify automatically from that group along with one other team. Thus, Nigeria finishing second will be enough to qualify.

I like the 24-team tournament as it gives several teams opportunity to be at the event and helps develop the game continent-wide. Moreover, it is likely to lead to more funds and wider public interest across the continent. The only downside is having third-placed teams qualify from the group stage as that often leads to poor games as we also saw in the Euros.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Further dilution of a tournament which has been low on quality for several years.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The YeyeMan wrote:Further dilution of a tournament which has been low on quality for several years.
That is in the eye of the beholder. Tell that to a Swazi fan when Swaziland qualifies or tell that to the CAF Accountant. Bros, it is similar to the WC where you will not always see Germany v Brazil but will make do with Nigeria v South Korea. In the Copa, you will not always watch Brazil v Chile but will have to watch, if you wish, Bolivia v Venezuela or Peru.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The YeyeMan wrote:Further dilution of a tournament which has been low on quality for several years.
Exactly, I didn't watch any games until the Semi finals and Finals.

Cameroon is an automatic qualifier. 12 group winners, 11 runner ups. So Nigeria will have to beat Libya and Seychelles to qualify. I don't like it. It is like rewarding mediocrity.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote:

Cameroon is an automatic qualifier. 12 group winners, 11 runner ups. So Nigeria will have to beat Libya and Seychelles to qualify. I don't like it. It is like rewarding mediocrity.
Good but I bet you many others watched those games. This is a tournament for every fan including those in Swaziland and Botswana.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Enugu II wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

Good but I bet you many others watched those games. This is a tournament for every fan including those in Swaziland and Botswana.
Where can I find the attendance figures and TV viewership figures from the last cup of nations?

I will make an educative guess, the numbers are not good. How much did CAF make as revenue? . I tried watching one of Gabon game. It was boring. To make it worse the officiating was piss poor. Cameroon vs Egypt was also boring until the final 15 to 20 minutes. Poor quality for a final game.

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote:
That is in the eye of the beholder. Tell that to a Swazi fan when Swaziland qualifies or tell that to the CAF Accountant. Bros, it is similar to the WC where you will not always see Germany v Brazil but will make do with Nigeria v South Korea. In the Copa, you will not always watch Brazil v Chile but will have to watch, if you wish, Bolivia v Venezuela or Peru.
I'm speaking from a footballing perspective - i.e. football quality, not a fan perspective or an accountants.

I'd be happy for the Swazi fans but the likelihood is that the team will be low on quality so as a neutral I simply won't be interested. I was happy for the Iceland fans at Euro 2016 but I'll be damned if I watched any of their games (except the defeat of England which was amusing).
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

but now that it will be played off season, i.e. in June/July, we will have all the top players from Europe
Last edited by Rawlings on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

They should extend random invitation to a random National team as an honorary participant
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Rawlings wrote:This is very very good news for Naija
Maybe that was Pinnick's motivation all along. Changing the rules of hosting & qualification in the middle of the game. Smells fishy just like the claim that Sudan clubs only lost the GS matches while under FIFA suspension and not DQ. Morocco also on standby as alternative host. Too much politicking.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Rawlings wrote:
but now that is will be played off season, i.e. in June/July, we will have all the top players from Europe
There will be a lot of players boycotting the tournament. Players recovery from injuries and etc.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

jette1 wrote:They should extend random invitation to a random National team as an honorary participant
Nope, I don't want that.

South America is forced to do that, because there are only 10 Conembol members. So they invite countries to make up the numbers. Africa have no reason to do that.

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

folem wrote:
Rawlings wrote:This is very very good news for Naija
Maybe that was Pinnick's motivation all along. Changing the rules of hosting & qualification in the middle of the game. Smells fishy just like the claim that Sudan clubs only lost the GS matches while under FIFA suspension and not DQ. Morocco also on standby as alternative host. Too much politicking.
How will Cameroon with only 2 stadiums host 24 teams?
I am happy