AFCON to be played in USA, Qatar or China?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Rawlings
Egg
Egg
AFCON to be played in USA, Qatar or China?

Post by Rawlings »

The changes to Africa’s biggest soccer competition favor everyone but African

Starting in 2019, the number of participating countries in Africa’s biggest soccer event, the African Cup of Nations (AFCON), will increase to 24 national teams from 16 teams. Also significant, the competition, usually hosted in January and February, will be moved to June and July.
The decisions were made following recommendations by the continent’s leading football executives and luminaries at a conference hosted by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) in Morocco earlier this week. A recommendation to play the biennial soccer event only once in four years was rejected.
But the AFCON changes beg more questions than answers.

A “summer” AFCON presents a major problem given the prevalent rainy weather conditions in many parts of the continent. For example, the rainy season in Cameroon, hosts of the 2019 AFCON, is “most intense” between June and October. For Guinea, hosts of the 2023 event, the monsoon season also lasts from June to October.

However, European clubs are likely to be pleased by the change of timing with many usually caught up in rows with African national teams over player call-ups for AFCON in January. This is when all top European club soccer seasons are in full flow. Clubs have often complained about losing players, some on multimillion-dollars contracts, for up to six weeks.

In the past, national teams have won that battle by citing FIFA regulations which mandate the clubs to release any invited players, but more recently, the dynamic has changed with players now refusing national team call-ups for AFCON due to fears over losing their place at their clubs.

Earlier this year, several players turned down their national team’s invitation, choosing instead to remain with their clubs. In the past, European clubs have refused to sign African stars citing the possibility of losing them to AFCON but already some soccer agents already claim that the summer switch will see increased patronage of Africans by European clubs. Given the adverse weather, many Africans are likely to view this shift in timing as CAF simply bowing to pressure from wealthy European soccer clubs rather than as a move that’s best for the continent’s game.

For its part, CAF has also defended the expansion to 24 teams as an opportunity for “triple” its income through lucrative broadcast and marketing deals, but the quality of the tournament on offer is likely to be watered down with nearly half of Africa’s 54 countries set to participate.

The expansion also presents Cameroon, 2019 hosts, with a major logistics problem as their bid to host was based on a 16-team tournament. Many other possible hosts on the continent will likely face similar problems with most facing a stadium and infrastructure deficit. Put another way: very few African countries can afford hosting a 24-team AFCON. Already, Cameroon has been forced to deny claims that its stadium construction plans are behind schedule.

Although it was not approved, CAF also considered hosting the AFCON final or the entire tournament outside in the continent with the United States, Qatar and China listed as possible hosts—an indication that CAF realizes very few African countries can successfully host a 24-team event. To enable hosting AFCON outside Africa a possibility, CAF also considered inviting “three of four” foreign national teams to play in the event.

https://qz.com/1035581/afcon-football-a ... tm_source=
Last edited by Rawlings on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: AFCON to be played in USA, Qatar or China?

Post by ohenhen1 »

What a load of rubbish.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...CAF is no UEFA therefore yanks will never grant them visas.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Couple yrs ago I suggested that CAF include Middle Eastern countries like Saudi,UAE and Qatar in AFCON and people said I was nuts. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Novocaine
Egg
Egg

Post by Novocaine »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Couple yrs ago I suggested that CAF include Middle Eastern countries like Saudi,UAE and Qatar in AFCON and people said I was nuts. :laugh:
Sir, no one outside of Africa wants to be associated with Africa. Winning an African tournament means little to them. Losing to black African team is completely unimaginable. We just need to continue to develop ourselves in every facet of nation building.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Novocaine wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Couple yrs ago I suggested that CAF include Middle Eastern countries like Saudi,UAE and Qatar in AFCON and people said I was nuts. :laugh:
Sir, no one outside of Africa wants to be associated with Africa. Winning an African tournament means little to them. Losing to black African team is completely unimaginable. We just need to continue to develop ourselves in every facet of nation building.
Wrong! The middle eastern countries will go for it because they could raise their profile by beating African teams. Saudi beating Nigeria or Cameroun at the AFCON final would be. Huge deal to them. We need money(as usual) and we need the tv viewership and infrastructure. Sorry,but besides SA,Morrocco and Tunisia, the rest of Africa is too poor or dangerous to host AFCON.
OCCUPY NFF!!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Yes you are crazy. The last thing CAF should do is get involved with the GCC countries.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Novocaine wrote:

Africa should only invite African countries to the African cup of nations.

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Rawlings, you know the rules. Post your source, you clown.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
jb
Egg
Egg

Post by jb »

We don't need no jihad.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON to be played in USA, Qatar or China

jb wrote:
We don't need no jihad.
We have BH, Biafra, Odua,ikorodu cult,herdsmen, armed robbers and kidnappers. For a people that cannot master the science of clean water and drainage, jhad might be a positive .
OCCUPY NFF!!
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

The YeyeMan wrote:Rawlings, you know the rules. Post your source, you clown.
https://qz.com/1035581/afcon-football-a ... tm_source=
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

South American does invites a member of CONCACAF and I think one African Nation, inviting an Arab or CONCACAF nation will boost the profile but the tournament should be in Africa.

I think 24 countries is just too much, the tournament should be reduce to 8 countries and hosted in poorer countries that are willing to build 4 stadiums.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: AFCON to be played in USA, Qatar or China

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
jb wrote:
We don't need no jihad.
We have BH, Biafra, Odua,ikorodu cult,herdsmen, armed robbers and kidnappers. For a people that cannot master the science of clean water and drainage, jhad might be a positive .
For a moment there I thought these were your suggested teams for a new-style AFCON. :shock:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Conembol have 10 members. They invite countries to make up the numbers. We don't need to invite anyone to boost our profile. We need to stop exporting jobs out of Africa and develop Africa. The person that proposed the idea of hosting the Afcon out of Africa is suffering from the WOWO disease. Shortsighted, silly proposal.

Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

It's over for the future of African football (until competence reigns),24 team tournaments are not suitable for Africa even one extra group wouldn't work 16 was great but even that happened after UEFA decided to expand from 8 in the late 90s!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ohenhen1 wrote:What a load of rubbish.
Why don't we yank the AFCON completely? What a REAL rubbish?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR: What happens when a foreign (non-African) nation wins the AFCON? Will such nation be allowed to take the Cup to their country or will CAF pay such a nation some amount of money instead? If so, the Cup then stays with which African nation for the year? On the other hand, how many Football Conferences are inviting African nations to participate in their (Cup of Nations) tournaments? Only one as stated by Chief Ohenhen1 in above and the reason is because they don't have enough teams.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Novocaine wrote:
Wrong! The middle eastern countries will go for it because they could raise their profile by beating African teams. Saudi beating Nigeria or Cameroun at the AFCON final would be. Huge deal to them. We need money(as usual) and we need the tv viewership and infrastructure. Sorry,but besides SA,Morrocco and Tunisia, the rest of Africa is too poor or dangerous to host AFCON.
What? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Well, maybe you know what you are saying, maybe!
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Africa, the only continent where there are always excuses for everything. Can't play in June? Use technology to make it happen. Stop looking for excuses. The rest of the world is running away from us ... People play football in Europe in the middle of the winter. People play American football in the middle of the winter.
Instead of always looking for an excuses, let's take on these challenges and make it happen.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bependa

I see. Africa should simply bow its head and answer "Yes Massa" whenever Europe asks and then go ahead and make it work. Good idea.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

bepanda wrote:Africa, the only continent where there are always excuses for everything. Can't play in June? Use technology to make it happen. Stop looking for excuses. The rest of the world is running away from us ... People play football in Europe in the middle of the winter. People play American football in the middle of the winter.
Instead of always looking for an excuses, let's take on these challenges and make it happen.
They don't believe in challenges in Africa they just live for the moment,the past teaches them nothing and the future isn't relevant!
Things hardly change and if you try to change it they'll call you the problem for their woes!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote:Bependa

I see. Africa should simply bow its head and answer "Yes Massa" whenever Europe asks and then go ahead and make it work. Good idea.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I, absolutely, will not be watching or celebrating modern slavery. We take several steps forward, yet, the African refuses to be free. Always seeking validation from his/her master. bas.ta.rds!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?