The AFCON in June in places like Nigeria.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

folem
Egg
Egg
Re: The AFCON in June in places like Nigeria.

Post by folem »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:
Endon't II wrote:
folem wrote: One match??? You mean several CAF qualifiers held throughout Africa in June or CAF interclub matches held this June-July.
Enugu II wrote:folem,

The fact that league games are played in June does not make June preferred for tournaments. It is based on likelihood of poor weather. Take America, with all its technology and know-how. America knows better than hosting the World Cup in the winter. It is a no-no.

American gridiron football games take place in Winter but they have more sense than attempt to host a WC in the Winter. Guess what is done for the big championship for American football which comes in the Winter? Eligibility is given to cities where it is likely to be warm or if they play it in cities with likelihood of snow they require it played in a dome. That is sensible planning. Below is comment on one of the few times it was awarded to a cold city (Bear in mind that this is a league that has several games in the winter season!)

The examples you are giving make little sense. A league games can be played in June but a tournament? That is bad planning. Why? League games can be easily postponed not just for the weather but for other reasons as I stated earlier. Tournaments are on a tight schedule with little room for postponement. That is the DIFFERENCE.
Mike Ditka: An Outdoor Cold-Weather Super Bowl Is "Stupid"
By Liz Raftery | Jan 28, 2014 9:31 AM EST
http://www.tvguide.com/news/mike-ditka- ... d-1076852/

NFL Hall of Famer Mike Ditka isn't mincing words when it comes to his thoughts about this year's Super Bowl, which will be played at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. on Sunday.
"The weather's going to be a problem," Ditka told the Detroit Free Press. "They made a big mistake. The game shouldn't be there. I mean, it's stupid."

Since the α9’s introduction, photojournalists have been wanting to see what it could do at a major event. See the photos and be amazed by the results!

This year marks the first time the championship game will be played in an outdoor stadium in a cold-weather climate. The Northeast has experienced temperatures well below freezing recently, as well as a series of snowstorms. The forecast forSunday is temperatures in the mid-30s with a chance of snow or rain showers.

Ditka maintains that the weather may (literally) dampen the spirits of both the teams and the spectators.
"If you get extreme cold or you get snow during the game, then it's unfair to the fans, to the players, to everybody. ... It's not going to be that enjoyable," Ditka said. "You're not going to be able to perform at near the level you're used to. ... It'd be nice to be playing in Miami or San Diego or New Orleans or somewhere the weather is conducive to guys being able to show their talents."
Super Bowl coverage begins at 6/5c on Fox on Sunday. What do you think of the NFL's decision to hold the Super Bowl in New Jersey?
folem wrote:If giving examples of FIFA tournaments hosted in June (Tunisia, South Africa), or that it is not unusual to have rain disruptions in January or even June makes no sense to you and your kind then so be it. Continue with your rigid position.

Folem,

I already pointed out why Tunisia or South Africa do not make sense. It is not based on arguments that are not logical. In fact, I actually believe that you have taken a rigid position. Here is what I already mentioned. Perhaps, you missed it.

1. Those two countries (Tunisia & South Africa) are not in the rain forest belt (I provided an image guide which shows countries that fall in that region). Why does it matter? That region produces the greatest rain fall year round in the continent. In that belt, the worst season is June/July.

2. A compelling example would be tournaments in the rain forest region during that period. For instance, I believe Nigeria hosted a youth tournament during that period and there were problems with the rain.

3. Folem, if the rains and weather do not matter, why do Americans who play the gridiron season in the winter take the care to assure that the championship (Super Bowl) is held in a warm venue? why then is FIFA discussing a date re-schedule for the 2026 Qatar World Cup? If it does not matter, why was monsoon season an important discussion before the 2002 World Cup? Those discussions ought to inform you that weather does matter and that the preference should always be to avoid bad weather. Thus, you schedule for a period when it has less probability of occurrence. That is the point.
You still dont get it. Nobody says weather does not matter but it ain't the only factor under consideration.

FIFA WC was held in the winter in Argentina & South Africa.. It can be held even in Qatar in June with a catch that mitigating conditions have to be factored in for the demanding UEFA contingent.

One size does not fit all in terms of weather in Africa. I actually did a Google search like you suggested for NPFL rain disrupted matches because it seems many of the anti June brigade are only trying scaremongering about West Africa weather patterns. What I found with just a quick (dont take it to the bank) search; is very few postponed in June, some in July, more in September and others in October, even in April.
No it can't. FIFA moved Qatar 2022 WC from June into the Fall specifically due to weather.

As for Tunisian league few if any games are held in June or July, the few CAF club competitions games in June or July are often played at 10 or even 11 PM.

A 24 nation AFCON will see 3 games per day in both the group stage and 2ND round stage.

Can powers that be drag players out on to pitch yes, should they...HELL NO!!!!!!!!!
Since the qualifiers for 2002 WC when FIFA continuously used June window, Tunisia usually hosted its June matches around the hours 7:00 pm-8:00 pm
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:
Endon't II wrote:
folem wrote: One match??? You mean several CAF qualifiers held throughout Africa in June or CAF interclub matches held this June-July.

The fact that league games are played in June does not make June preferred for tournaments. It is based on likelihood of poor weather. Take America, with all its technology and know-how. America knows better than hosting the World Cup in the winter. It is a no-no.

American gridiron football games take place in Winter but they have more sense than attempt to host a WC in the Winter. Guess what is done for the big championship for American football which comes in the Winter? Eligibility is given to cities where it is likely to be warm or if they play it in cities with likelihood of snow they require it played in a dome. That is sensible planning. Below is comment on one of the few times it was awarded to a cold city (Bear in mind that this is a league that has several games in the winter season!)

The examples you are giving make little sense. A league games can be played in June but a tournament? That is bad planning. Why? League games can be easily postponed not just for the weather but for other reasons as I stated earlier. Tournaments are on a tight schedule with little room for postponement. That is the DIFFERENCE.

NFL Hall of Famer Mike Ditka isn't mincing words when it comes to his thoughts about this year's Super Bowl, which will be played at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. on Sunday.
"The weather's going to be a problem," Ditka told the Detroit Free Press. "They made a big mistake. The game shouldn't be there. I mean, it's stupid."

Since the α9’s introduction, photojournalists have been wanting to see what it could do at a major event. See the photos and be amazed by the results!

This year marks the first time the championship game will be played in an outdoor stadium in a cold-weather climate. The Northeast has experienced temperatures well below freezing recently, as well as a series of snowstorms. The forecast forSunday is temperatures in the mid-30s with a chance of snow or rain showers.

Ditka maintains that the weather may (literally) dampen the spirits of both the teams and the spectators.
"If you get extreme cold or you get snow during the game, then it's unfair to the fans, to the players, to everybody. ... It's not going to be that enjoyable," Ditka said. "You're not going to be able to perform at near the level you're used to. ... It'd be nice to be playing in Miami or San Diego or New Orleans or somewhere the weather is conducive to guys being able to show their talents."
Super Bowl coverage begins at 6/5c on Fox on Sunday. What do you think of the NFL's decision to hold the Super Bowl in New Jersey?
folem wrote:If giving examples of FIFA tournaments hosted in June (Tunisia, South Africa), or that it is not unusual to have rain disruptions in January or even June makes no sense to you and your kind then so be it. Continue with your rigid position.

Folem,

I already pointed out why Tunisia or South Africa do not make sense. It is not based on arguments that are not logical. In fact, I actually believe that you have taken a rigid position. Here is what I already mentioned. Perhaps, you missed it.

1. Those two countries (Tunisia & South Africa) are not in the rain forest belt (I provided an image guide which shows countries that fall in that region). Why does it matter? That region produces the greatest rain fall year round in the continent. In that belt, the worst season is June/July.

2. A compelling example would be tournaments in the rain forest region during that period. For instance, I believe Nigeria hosted a youth tournament during that period and there were problems with the rain.

3. Folem, if the rains and weather do not matter, why do Americans who play the gridiron season in the winter take the care to assure that the championship (Super Bowl) is held in a warm venue? why then is FIFA discussing a date re-schedule for the 2026 Qatar World Cup? If it does not matter, why was monsoon season an important discussion before the 2002 World Cup? Those discussions ought to inform you that weather does matter and that the preference should always be to avoid bad weather. Thus, you schedule for a period when it has less probability of occurrence. That is the point.
You still dont get it. Nobody says weather does not matter but it ain't the only factor under consideration.

FIFA WC was held in the winter in Argentina & South Africa.. It can be held even in Qatar in June with a catch that mitigating conditions have to be factored in for the demanding UEFA contingent.

One size does not fit all in terms of weather in Africa. I actually did a Google search like you suggested for NPFL rain disrupted matches because it seems many of the anti June brigade are only trying scaremongering about West Africa weather patterns. What I found with just a quick (dont take it to the bank) search; is very few postponed in June, some in July, more in September and others in October, even in April.
No it can't. FIFA moved Qatar 2022 WC from June into the Fall specifically due to weather.

As for Tunisian league few if any games are held in June or July, the few CAF club competitions games in June or July are often played at 10 or even 11 PM.

A 24 nation AFCON will see 3 games per day in both the group stage and 2ND round stage.

Can powers that be drag players out on to pitch yes, should they...HELL NO!!!!!!!!!
Since the qualifiers for 2002 WC when FIFA continuously used June window, Tunisia usually hosted its June matches around the hours 7:00 pm-8:00 pm
NT hosts 2 games over the summer..that's 2 games in 90 days....now contrast that to AFCON a 24 nation, month long tournament, with 3 games PER DAY!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:
Endon't II wrote:

Folem,

NT hosts 2 games over the summer..that's 2 games in 90 days....now contrast that to AFCON a 24 nation, month long tournament, with 3 games PER DAY!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
30 days has June. Probably 6 host Cities. Not every day of 30 host games (max 52 games but could be lower). Contingency plans will be in place.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Seems like you are jumping through many hopes to have the event in June. Not many countries can host the nation cup in June/July with the 24 team format. Seems like CAF is not working in the best interest of Africans.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:
Endon't II wrote:

Folem,

30 days has June. Probably 6 host Cities. Not every day of 30 host games (max 52 games but could be lower). Contingency plans will be in place.
I don't care where you play in Tunisia in June..be it Tunis, Sfax, Sousse, Monastir, Bizerte, Kairouan..the conditions are inhumane for players.
Detective Bunk Moreland

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
I don't care where you play in Tunisia in June..be it Tunis, Sfax, Sousse, Monastir, Bizerte, Kairouan..the conditions are inhumane for players.
What specific condition(s) is/are inhumane?
http://www.rsssf.com/tablesw/wyc77.html

World Youth Cup (U-20) 1977 (Tunisia)

Group A (in Tunis)
27.06.1977 El Menzah Mexico 6-0 Tunisia
[Manzo 46, 47, Placencia 48, 69, 72, Garduno 56]
27.06.1977 El Menzah Spain 2-1 France
[Escobar 29, Casas 60, Bacconier 75]
30.06.1977 El Menzah Spain 1-1 Mexico
[Escobar 46; Rodríguez 73]
30.06.1977 El Menzah France 1-0 Tunisia
[Meyer 20]
03.07.1977 El Menzah Tunisia 1-0 Spain
[Ben Fattoum 52]
03.07.1977 El Menzah Mexico 1-1 France
[Moses 70; Wiss 64]

1.MEXICO 3 1 2 0 8- 2 4
2.Spain 3 1 1 1 3- 3 3
France 3 1 1 1 3- 3 3
4.Tunisia 3 1 0 2 1- 7 2

Group B (in Tunis)
28.06.1977 Zouiten Honduras 1-0 Morocco
[Norales 46]
28.06.1977 Zouiten Uruguay 2-1 Hungary
[Diogo 15, Bica 25p; Péter 17]
01.07.1977 Zouiten Uruguay 1-0 Honduras
[Nadal 29]
01.07.1977 Zouiten Hungary 2-0 Morocco
[Kerekes 26, Nagy 56]
04.07.1977 Zouiten Uruguay 3-0 Morocco
[Nadal 36, Enrique 44, Ramos 51]
04.07.1977 Zouiten Honduras 2-0 Hungary
[Yearwood 7, Duarte 30]

1.URUGUAY 3 3 0 0 6- 1 6
2.Honduras 3 2 0 1 3- 1 4
3.Hungary 3 1 0 2 3- 4 2
4.Morocco 3 0 0 3 0- 6 0

Group C
27.06.1977 Sousse Ivory Coast 1-1 Italy
[Kouassi 77; Capuzzo 11]
27.06.1977 Sousse Brazil 5-1 Iran
[Guina 22, 29, 39, Paulo Roberto 37, Júnior Brasilia 52; Rajabi 55]
30.06.1977 Sousse Ivory Coast 1-1 Brazil
[Ya Semon 46; Cléber 89]
30.06.1977 Sousse Italy 0-0 Iran
03.07.1977 Sousse Brazil 2-0 Italy
[Guina 11, Paulinho 48]
03.07.1977 Sousse Iran 3-0 Ivory Coast
[Asheri 31, 87, Barzegar 80]

1.BRAZIL 3 2 1 0 8- 2 5
2.Iran 3 1 1 1 4- 5 3
3.Italy 3 0 2 1 1- 3 2
4.Ivory Coast 3 0 2 1 2- 5 2

Group D Sfax
28.06.1977 Sfax Paraguay 1-0 Austria
[Morel 62]
28.06.1977 Sfax Soviet Union 3-1 Iraq
[Petrakov 19, 23, Bal 39; Munshid 77]
01.07.1977 Sfax Soviet Union 2-1 Paraguay
[Khidiyatullin 29, Bessonov 59; Battaglia 38]
01.07.1977 Sfax Iraq 5-1 Austria
[Munshid 30, Hussain 34, 38, 90+3, Hammadi 90+4; Weiss 28]
04.07.1977 Sfax Paraguay 4-0 Iraq
[Samaniego 26, López 30, 68, Giménez 67]
04.07.1977 Sfax Soviet Union 0-0 Austria

1.SOVIET UNION 3 2 1 0 5- 2 5
2.Paraguay 3 2 0 1 6- 2 4
3.Iraq 3 1 0 2 6- 8 2
4.Austria 3 0 1 2 1- 6 1

Semifinals
06.07.1977 El Menzah Mexico 1-1 Brazil [aet; 5-3 pen]
[Rergis 53; Jorge Luis 59]
07.07.1977 El Menzah Soviet Union 0-0 Uruguay [aet; 4-3 pen]

Third Place Match
09.07.1977 El Menzah Brazil 4-0 Uruguay
[Cléber 13, Paulo Roberto 30, Paulinho 53, Tião 69]

Final (at El Menzah, Tunis, att 22.000)
10.07.1977 El Menzah Soviet Union 2-2 Mexico [aet; 9-8 pen]
[Bessonov 52, 88; Garduno 50, Manzo 59]
http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/archive ... index.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Arab_Cup_U-17

Egypt:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_UN ... Tournament
Last edited by folem on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
To bring up a youth tournament from 1977 in 2017 is Donald Trump levels of ignorant.

FYI in 2017...

The type where it's 38 degrees in the shade.

The type where it's so hot you close all the windows and doors in your house.

The type where in June, July and August the vast majority of the country only works from 6AM to 11AM.
Detective Bunk Moreland

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

The type where in June, July and August the vast majority of the country only works from 6AM to 11AM.
Whats the weather like from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup

The variety of climate in different cities all over the United States made playing conditions challenging; aside from Boston, San Francisco and occasionally Chicago, most matches were played in very hot and/or humid conditions. Although playing in the dry heat of Los Angeles and the extreme humidity of Washington and New York proved to be difficult, the cities with the most oppressive conditions were the southern cities of Orlando and Dallas because of the high humidity, and Los Angeles (Pasadena) because of the triple digit heat and smoggy conditions. The Floridian tropical climate of Orlando meant all matches there were played in temperatures of 95 °F (35 °C) or above with humidity at 40% or more (the temperature there during the group stage match between Ireland and Mexico was 105 °F (41 °C)) thanks to the mid-day start times. Dallas was not much different: in the semi-arid heat of a Texas summer, temperatures exceeded 100 °F (38 °C) Fahrenheit during mid-day, when matches there were staged in the open-type Cotton Bowl meant that conditions were just as oppressive there as they were in Orlando. Detroit also proved to be difficult: the Pontiac Silverdome did not have a working cooling system and because it was an interior dome-shaped stadium, the air could not escape through circulation, so temperatures inside the stadium would climb past 90 °F (32 °C) with 40% humidity. United States midfielder Thomas Dooley described the Silverdome as "the worst place I have ever played at".
Last edited by folem on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

No difference from 2 PM to 2 AM, unless you own a house by the beach it's too damn hot.

1 off game it can be managed but a tournament...CAF are kidding themselves..never mind a tournament in June in nation such as Egypt...YA RAB!!!
Detective Bunk Moreland

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Folem

Which factors are more important than the weather? Please school me on those factors. Is it the fact that we have players in Europe who are asked to play on FIFA's international tournament window? Will June avoid playing in the league season in the USA and China? Are African players not playing also in those leagues? I like to know the factors that are more important than the weather as you claim.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Tunisia gooner, you aren't making any sense at all .. you are just arguing about nothing
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

No difference from 2 PM to 2 AM, unless you own a house by the beach it's too damn hot.

1 off game it can be managed but a tournament...CAF are kidding themselves..never mind a tournament in June in nation such as Egypt...YA RAB!!!
Is it vastly different from Spain, Portugal?
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Flex Swift wrote:The change will provide hosting countries with the opportunity to update their stadium facilities with features such as state of the art retractable roofs that can close when it rains or is raining and open when not. The added advantage to a country like Nigeria is that we could also move our league date to match Europe.
:thumbs: I live in Seattle where a 70 day nonstop rain was recorded and never would you see a flooded street or flooded city residence. And not once has a football game ever been postponed or flooded because of rain. It boils down to building better infrastructures rather than electing a Lateef Jakande type school & pocketing the rest of the money. All this force about heavy rain dis & dat is nonsense; Start building first class facilities and standard drainage systems.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

guys rain is also a problem for people like me who wears glasses, how should we address that? so the water won't mess up the lens :D
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

An American football game is obviously different from Football. They have specially made clits to handle the tough weather. And there are a lot of timeouts or stoppages.

Africa is Africa, we are not Seatle. Not many countries can afford your so called drainage system. Seems like CAF is jumping through so many hoops to satisfy their bosses at UEFA.

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

ohenhen1 wrote:An American football game is obviously different from Football. They have specially made clits to handle the tough weather. And there are a lot of timeouts or stoppages.

Africa is Africa, we are not Seatle. Not many countries can afford your so called drainage system. Seems like CAF is jumping through so many hoops to satisfy their bosses at UEFA.
Madam ohenhen Sidon de look got all the excuses in the world; sounders - a soccer team not American type football team. It is not about affordability either - Abuja stadium $400 million vs century link stadium $360 million.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

UGHHHHHHHHHHH not sure if some people are just insanely stubborn or just scary ignorant..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Please read.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/cli ... africa.pdf

http://www.iai.it/sites/default/files/menara_fn_7.pdf
Detective Bunk Moreland

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

jette1 wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:An American football game is obviously different from Football. They have specially made clits to handle the tough weather. And there are a lot of timeouts or stoppages.

Madam ohenhen Sidon de look got all the excuses in the world; sounders - a soccer team not American type football team. It is not about affordability either - Abuja stadium $400 million vs century link stadium $360 million.

Sounders play in pretty much the dry season of the US. Which is from March to September. Why don't they play in February?

It is about affordability, not all African countries can afford to host the nations cup now with 24 teams and the games played in June/July. That is a problem. We are not the Americans that want everything hosted by them. I like seeing every African nation host the nations cup.

papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

ohenhen1 wrote:My beef is Europe shouldn't have any say in the decision making process of CAF. CAF should put African interests first. This Ahmad guy is starting to worry me.
We as Africans should learn to put our ego aside once in a while and make reasonable decisions. African players suffer professionally due to having the AFCON in January. Most loose their places at their clubs and some clubs refuse to buy African players solely for this reason. My only worry is the weather but it rains in January too so the risk is worth taking
yes o
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

papilo wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:My beef is Europe shouldn't have any say in the decision making process of CAF. CAF should put African interests first. This Ahmad guy is starting to worry me.
We as Africans should learn to put our ego aside once in a while and make reasonable decisions. African players suffer professionally due to having the AFCON in January. Most loose their places at their clubs and some clubs refuse to buy African players solely for this reason. My only worry is the weather but it rains in January too so the risk is worth taking
Papilo

Egos matter. After all it is the European ego that has created this problem. In any case this is bigger than mere ego.
Let me ask you a few questions:
1. In your mind the chances of rain rain in January is the same as in June in the rain forest belt?
2. What happens when most African players play in Asia and America? Should we switch back to January to accommodate them? Should we keep accommodation for Europe? Or should we find what is best for Africa?

Please let me know.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

papilo wrote:
This has nothing to do with Ego. It is about putting Africa first. Professional players playing in Europe are not the only stake holders in African football. FIFA laws already protects them. EU laws or host countries laws like the UK home grown rule or La Liga foreign players rules or the stringent rules of applying for a Uk work permit affect African players more than the nations cup. Not many African countries can host a 24 team nations cup or host it in June.

papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Enugu II wrote:
papilo wrote:
Papilo

Egos matter. After all it is the European ego that has created this problem. In any case this is bigger than mere ego.
1. In your mind the chances of rain rain in January is the same as in June in the rain forest belt?
2. What happens when most African players play in Asia and America? Should we switch back to January to accommodate them? Should we keep accommodation for Europe? Or should we find what is best for Africa?

Please let me know.
I agree there are more possibilities of rain in June than in January but we have had African countries host FIFA tournaments in June and they were successful with little or no rain at all. Not every African country should host the AFCON - harsh but true. This will also help countries who are interested in hosting put certain facilities in place and ensure they put in time, energy, effort and resources into making it happen. You could argue that there is little you can do about the rainy season in sub-saharan Africa for example but in as much as it costs money, building a few covered stadiums could solve this problem. Now if you feel it takes time to come up with such money, take as much time as you need and when you are ready, bid to host. It increases the quality of the tournament also and brings in more sponsors. The hosting requirements are too easy.

As for the second point regarding players who play in Asia or America, let us be honest with ourselves, playing in Europe is the pinnacle of a footballers' career and is where they all want to be and that is because that is where the best are. Having players move to America or Asia is a step down in my opinion. In as much as it sounds harsh, what we need to focus on are players who play in Europe and Africa and I am very happy CAF came up with the idea of CHAN. Not saying players who play in these other places you mention are not important or needed, but if we are being honest, no one wants to watch the AFCON if 3 quarters or even half of the players play in Asia or America.
yes o
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

papilo wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
papilo wrote:
Papilo

Please let me know.
I agree there are more possibilities of rain in June than in January but we have had African countries host FIFA tournaments in June and they were successful with little or no rain at all. Not every African country should host the AFCON - harsh but true. This will also help countries who are interested in hosting put certain facilities in place and ensure they put in time, energy, effort and resources into making it happen. You could argue that there is little you can do about the rainy season in sub-saharan Africa for example but in as much as it costs money, building a few covered stadiums could solve this problem. Now if you feel it takes time to come up with such money, take as much time as you need and when you are ready, bid to host. It increases the quality of the tournament also and brings in more sponsors. The hosting requirements are too easy.

As for the second point regarding players who play in Asia or America, let us be honest with ourselves, playing in Europe is the pinnacle of a footballers' career and is where they all want to be and that is because that is where the best are. Having players move to America or Asia is a step down in my opinion. In as much as it sounds harsh, what we need to focus on are players who play in Europe and Africa and I am very happy CAF came up with the idea of CHAN. Not saying players who play in these other places you mention are not important or needed, but if we are being honest, no one wants to watch the AFCON if 3 quarters or even half of the players play in Asia or America.
Papilo

I like your solution to the rains. That is forward thinking rather than simply claim that because some African countries have hosted successfully in June ( which ones really did so in the rainbelt with little rain) that the AFCON should be based on such prayers that the Gods will save us from the harshness of rain in June.

As for accommodating Europe, what you stated above is an ad hoc plan. So if it changes that several of our players head for Asia, what then happens. BTW there are African countries where most of the stars are in Asia and not Europe. Africa should should be making a plan that is sustainable not one that is dependent on ad hoc decision. Further, I would hope that plans are such that we do not intentionally deny a number of African countries from hosting.