The AFCON in June in places like Nigeria.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The AFCON in June in places like Nigeria.

Post by Eaglezbeak »

ohenhen1 wrote:Nigeria is basically Africa, 180 million people and growing.
With no plans for improvement in the foreseeable future!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

folem wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:My beef is Europe shouldn't have any say in the decision making process of CAF. CAF should put African interests first. This Ahmad guy is starting to worry me.
African players making a living in Europe who are the Stars of the tourney are being protected. Alternatively let them come back home?
FIFA law already protects African players playing in Europe. Yekini(RIP), Amunike, JJ, Finidi, Kanu, and etc all played at the Afcon with no problems.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

folem wrote:Nigeria football league season runs through the month of June always.
Do you know how many games get postponed till the following morning? Last week it happened with Rangers vs MFM. I think MFM vs Katsina Uts has suffered the same fate. Will the afcon sponsors and tv rights owners agree to that?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

In the history of AFCONs..Nigeria has only hosted once..sharing the other with Ghana..so what's all these about rain..when we hosted the u17s, and u20s, I guess they weren't hosted during the raining season...some of you guys are funny..una dey tey to hard to argue about nothing
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Let CAF go ahead and make the change. I implore every country in Africa to boycott the ANC. Let CAF get trams from Asia to participate in their slave tournament. We have problems in Africa, we can suspend football for a few years/decades and concentrate on education, technology, agriculture.. etc
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Bigpokey24 wrote:In the history of AFCONs..Nigeria has only hosted once..sharing the other with Ghana..so what's all these about rain..when we hosted the u17s, and u20s, I guess they weren't hosted during the raining season...some of you guys are funny..una dey tey to hard to argue about nothing
U20s hosted in April while U17s hosted in October-November. There was rain disruptions in 2009. April-October is the general rainy season. In the North around June-September.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/11/warn ... u-calabar/

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/10/enug ... heir-woes/

http://m.goal.com/s/en/news/89/africa/2 ... rkina-faso
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

AFCON in North Africa in June....ummmm.....has any member of CAF been to Tunisia, Libya, Algeria, Morocco or Egypt in June?

All I can say is....good friggin luck!!!!!!!!
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:AFCON in North Africa in June....ummmm.....has any member of CAF been to Tunisia, Libya, Algeria, Morocco or Egypt in June?

What month was 1977 WYC? What month was in Maroc WC bids?
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

anointed wrote: Do you know how many games get postponed till the following morning? Last week it happened with Rangers vs MFM. I think MFM vs Katsina Uts has suffered the same fate. Will the afcon sponsors and tv rights owners agree to that?
Kindly share the stats of match postponements due to rain across the months in the Nigeria football season.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:AFCON in North Africa in June....ummmm.....has any member of CAF been to Tunisia, Libya, Algeria, Morocco or Egypt in June?

And your point is......Morocco would host WC in the Sahara if need be, that a $$$ issue.

As for benefit of players I was in Tunisia last summer and the idea of playing football day and day out in June...ABSURD!!!!!
Detective Bunk Moreland

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:

And your point is......Morocco would host WC in the Sahara if need be, that a $$$ issue.

As for benefit of players I was in Tunisia last summer and the idea of playing football day and day out in June...ABSURD!!!!!
Tunisia hosted WYC in June-July and 2012 Arab U17 Cup in July. Several WC qualifiers also held in June.
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

Bigpokey24 wrote:In the history of AFCONs..Nigeria has only hosted once..sharing the other with Ghana..so what's all these about rain..when we hosted the u17s, and u20s, I guess they weren't hosted during the raining season...some of you guys are funny..una dey tey to hard to argue about nothing
rainy
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Let the North Africans host it until Nigeria and guinea join the human race and introduce drainage .
Si ebea puo oso-oso.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:

Tunisia hosted WYC in June-July and 2012 Arab U17 Cup in July. Several WC qualifiers also held in June.
One match - which could be postponed if need be.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

chendosplastic wrote:
folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:

One match??? You mean several CAF qualifiers held throughout Africa in June or CAF interclub matches held this June-July.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

folem wrote:
chendosplastic wrote:
folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:

One match??? You mean several CAF qualifiers held throughout Africa in June or CAF interclub matches held this June-July.
folem,

The fact that league games are played in June does not make June preferred for tournaments. It is based on likelihood of poor weather. Take America, with all its technology and know-how. America knows better than hosting the World Cup in the winter. It is a no-no.

American gridiron football games take place in Winter but they have more sense than attempt to host a WC in the Winter. Guess what is done for the big championship for American football which comes in the Winter? Eligibility is given to cities where it is likely to be warm or if they play it in cities with likelihood of snow they require it played in a dome. That is sensible planning. Below is comment on one of the few times it was awarded to a cold city (Bear in mind that this is a league that has several games in the winter season!)

The examples you are giving make little sense. A league games can be played in June but a tournament? That is bad planning. Why? League games can be easily postponed not just for the weather but for other reasons as I stated earlier. Tournaments are on a tight schedule with little room for postponement. That is the DIFFERENCE.
Mike Ditka: An Outdoor Cold-Weather Super Bowl Is "Stupid"
By Liz Raftery | Jan 28, 2014 9:31 AM EST
http://www.tvguide.com/news/mike-ditka- ... d-1076852/

NFL Hall of Famer Mike Ditka isn't mincing words when it comes to his thoughts about this year's Super Bowl, which will be played at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. on Sunday.
"The weather's going to be a problem," Ditka told the Detroit Free Press. "They made a big mistake. The game shouldn't be there. I mean, it's stupid."

Since the α9’s introduction, photojournalists have been wanting to see what it could do at a major event. See the photos and be amazed by the results!

This year marks the first time the championship game will be played in an outdoor stadium in a cold-weather climate. The Northeast has experienced temperatures well below freezing recently, as well as a series of snowstorms. The forecast forSunday is temperatures in the mid-30s with a chance of snow or rain showers.

Ditka maintains that the weather may (literally) dampen the spirits of both the teams and the spectators.
"If you get extreme cold or you get snow during the game, then it's unfair to the fans, to the players, to everybody. ... It's not going to be that enjoyable," Ditka said. "You're not going to be able to perform at near the level you're used to. ... It'd be nice to be playing in Miami or San Diego or New Orleans or somewhere the weather is conducive to guys being able to show their talents."
Super Bowl coverage begins at 6/5c on Fox on Sunday. What do you think of the NFL's decision to hold the Super Bowl in New Jersey?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

folem wrote:
anointed wrote: Do you know how many games get postponed till the following morning? Last week it happened with Rangers vs MFM. I think MFM vs Katsina Uts has suffered the same fate. Will the afcon sponsors and tv rights owners agree to that?
Kindly share the stats of match postponements due to rain across the months in the Nigeria football season.

There is no need for stats unless you or NPFL keeps one. Simply google nigeria league postponed because of rain and you will locate several. In fact, googling that leads you to several other games all over the world postponed because of rain, BTW.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote:
folem wrote:
chendosplastic wrote:
folem wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
folem wrote:

folem,

The fact that league games are played in June does not make June preferred for tournaments. It is based on likelihood of poor weather. Take America, with all its technology and know-how. America knows better than hosting the World Cup in the winter. It is a no-no.

American gridiron football games take place in Winter but they have more sense than attempt to host a WC in the Winter. Guess what is done for the big championship for American football which comes in the Winter? Eligibility is given to cities where it is likely to be warm or if they play it in cities with likelihood of snow they require it played in a dome. That is sensible planning. Below is comment on one of the few times it was awarded to a cold city (Bear in mind that this is a league that has several games in the winter season!)

The examples you are giving make little sense. A league games can be played in June but a tournament? That is bad planning. Why? League games can be easily postponed not just for the weather but for other reasons as I stated earlier. Tournaments are on a tight schedule with little room for postponement. That is the DIFFERENCE.

NFL Hall of Famer Mike Ditka isn't mincing words when it comes to his thoughts about this year's Super Bowl, which will be played at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. on Sunday.
"The weather's going to be a problem," Ditka told the Detroit Free Press. "They made a big mistake. The game shouldn't be there. I mean, it's stupid."

Since the α9’s introduction, photojournalists have been wanting to see what it could do at a major event. See the photos and be amazed by the results!

This year marks the first time the championship game will be played in an outdoor stadium in a cold-weather climate. The Northeast has experienced temperatures well below freezing recently, as well as a series of snowstorms. The forecast forSunday is temperatures in the mid-30s with a chance of snow or rain showers.

Ditka maintains that the weather may (literally) dampen the spirits of both the teams and the spectators.
"If you get extreme cold or you get snow during the game, then it's unfair to the fans, to the players, to everybody. ... It's not going to be that enjoyable," Ditka said. "You're not going to be able to perform at near the level you're used to. ... It'd be nice to be playing in Miami or San Diego or New Orleans or somewhere the weather is conducive to guys being able to show their talents."
Super Bowl coverage begins at 6/5c on Fox on Sunday. What do you think of the NFL's decision to hold the Super Bowl in New Jersey?
If giving examples of FIFA tournaments hosted in June (Tunisia, South Africa), or that it is not unusual to have rain disruptions in January or even June makes no sense to you and your kind then so be it. Continue with your rigid position.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

folem wrote: One match??? You mean several CAF qualifiers held throughout Africa in June or CAF interclub matches held this June-July.
Enugu II wrote:folem,

folem wrote:If giving examples of FIFA tournaments hosted in June (Tunisia, South Africa), or that it is not unusual to have rain disruptions in January or even June makes no sense to you and your kind then so be it. Continue with your rigid position.
Folem,

I already pointed out why Tunisia or South Africa do not make sense. It is not based on arguments that are not logical. In fact, I actually believe that you have taken a rigid position. Here is what I already mentioned. Perhaps, you missed it.

1. Those two countries (Tunisia & South Africa) are not in the rain forest belt (I provided an image guide which shows countries that fall in that region). Why does it matter? That region produces the greatest rain fall year round in the continent. In that belt, the worst season is June/July.

2. A compelling example would be tournaments in the rain forest region during that period. For instance, I believe Nigeria hosted a youth tournament during that period and there were problems with the rain.

3. Folem, if the rains and weather do not matter, why do Americans who play the gridiron season in the winter take the care to assure that the championship (Super Bowl) is held in a warm venue? why then is FIFA discussing a date re-schedule for the 2026 Qatar World Cup? If it does not matter, why was monsoon season an important discussion before the 2002 World Cup? Those discussions ought to inform you that weather does matter and that the preference should always be to avoid bad weather. Thus, you schedule for a period when it has less probability of occurrence. That is the point.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Endon't II wrote:
folem wrote: One match??? You mean several CAF qualifiers held throughout Africa in June or CAF interclub matches held this June-July.

folem wrote:If giving examples of FIFA tournaments hosted in June (Tunisia, South Africa), or that it is not unusual to have rain disruptions in January or even June makes no sense to you and your kind then so be it. Continue with your rigid position.
Folem,

I already pointed out why Tunisia or South Africa do not make sense. It is not based on arguments that are not logical. In fact, I actually believe that you have taken a rigid position. Here is what I already mentioned. Perhaps, you missed it.

1. Those two countries (Tunisia & South Africa) are not in the rain forest belt (I provided an image guide which shows countries that fall in that region). Why does it matter? That region produces the greatest rain fall year round in the continent. In that belt, the worst season is June/July.

2. A compelling example would be tournaments in the rain forest region during that period. For instance, I believe Nigeria hosted a youth tournament during that period and there were problems with the rain.

3. Folem, if the rains and weather do not matter, why do Americans who play the gridiron season in the winter take the care to assure that the championship (Super Bowl) is held in a warm venue? why then is FIFA discussing a date re-schedule for the 2026 Qatar World Cup? If it does not matter, why was monsoon season an important discussion before the 2002 World Cup? Those discussions ought to inform you that weather does matter and that the preference should always be to avoid bad weather. Thus, you schedule for a period when it has less probability of occurrence. That is the point.
You still dont get it. Nobody says weather does not matter but it ain't the only factor under consideration.

FIFA WC was held in the winter in Argentina & South Africa.. It can be held even in Qatar in June with a catch that mitigating conditions have to be factored in for the demanding UEFA contingent.

One size does not fit all in terms of weather in Africa. I actually did a Google search like you suggested for NPFL rain disrupted matches because it seems many of the anti June brigade are only trying scaremongering about West Africa weather patterns. What I found with just a quick (dont take it to the bank) search; is very few postponed in June, some in July, more in September and others in October, even in April.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

folem wrote:
Endon't II wrote:

Folem,

You still dont get it. Nobody says weather does not matter but it ain't the only factor under consideration.

FIFA WC was held in the winter in Argentina & South Africa.. It can be held even in Qatar in June with a catch that mitigating conditions have to be factored in for the demanding UEFA contingent.

One size does not fit all in terms of weather in Africa. I actually did a Google search like you suggested for NPFL rain disrupted matches because it seems many of the anti June brigade are only trying scaremongering about West Africa weather patterns. What I found with just a quick (dont take it to the bank) search; is very few postponed in June, some in July, more in September and others in October, even in April.
No it can't. FIFA moved Qatar 2022 WC from June into the Fall specifically due to weather.

As for Tunisian league few if any games are held in June or July, the few CAF club competitions games in June or July are often played at 10 or even 11 PM.

A 24 nation AFCON will see 3 games per day in both the group stage and 2ND round stage.

Can powers that be drag players out on to pitch yes, should they...HELL NO!!!!!!!!!
Detective Bunk Moreland

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

The change will provide hosting countries with the opportunity to update their stadium facilities with features such as state of the art retractable roofs that can close when it rains or is raining and open when not. The added advantage to a country like Nigeria is that we could also move our league date to match Europe.