The AFCON in June in places like Nigeria.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

papilo
Egg
Egg
Re: The AFCON in June in places like Nigeria.

Post by papilo »

ohenhen1 wrote:
papilo wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
papilo wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
papilo wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:My beef is Europe shouldn't have any say in the decision making process of CAF. CAF should put African interests first. This Ahmad guy is starting to worry me.
We as Africans should learn to put our ego aside once in a while and make reasonable decisions. African players suffer professionally due to having the AFCON in January. Most loose their places at their clubs and some clubs refuse to buy African players solely for this reason. My only worry is the weather but it rains in January too so the risk is worth taking
This has nothing to do with Ego. It is about putting Africa first. Professional players playing in Europe are not the only stake holders in African football. FIFA laws already protects them. EU laws or host countries laws like the UK home grown rule or La Liga foreign players rules or the stringent rules of applying for a Uk work permit affect African players more than the nations cup. Not many African countries can host a 24 team nations cup or host it in June.
You say FIFA laws protect them. True but FIFA laws do not tell a coach he has to field a player after returning from the AFCON, or that a club has to buy an African player. We do not have enough African players playing for top clubs in Europe and this is partly because clubs know they may have to release them for 5 - 6 weeks every two seasons. That's a lot.
You also mention that not many African countries can host a 24 team nations cup or host in June. To be honest not many African countries should and are capable of hosting the AFCON - June or January - period. Nothing wrong with having 8 or 9 countries host between themselves.
The bottom line is African players playing in Europe are not the only stake holder in African football. African leaders are idiots. Asia will still hold their tournament in January/February. Their leaders are not mugus like Pinnicks and co. If a manager chooses not to field a player because of the Afcon. Then he is a moron. Mane played for Senegal, and he is a still a regular at Liverpool. Yekini(RIP) had no problem playing at the Afcon and still having a good career in Europe.
There are way more African players in Europe than there are Asian players.
You still don't get it. The move will harm Africa football. Not many countries can afford to host 24 teams. And Nigeria will have to deal with floods in June/July.
EU laws and Individual associations laws harm our footballers playing in Europe more than the Afcon. Like I said earlier look at the UK work permit rules. Nwakili can't get a work permit. Look at the UK home grown rule. Look at the EU laws. If Arsenal signs a non Eu player, they will have release a non EU player. Europe takes care of their interest first. Africa leaders are mugus.
I repeat, not all African countries should host the AFCON. Whoever cannot afford to host should not host. Nothing wrong with having the same 7 or 8 countries who can afford to, host between themselves. The requirements for hosting need to be stricter. My only problem with a 24 team AFCON is the drop in quality of football and not the capability to host.
yes o
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

You sound like the Americans. I disagree, all African countries should host the nation's cup. The nation's cup will help with development. Look at Cameroon. They are building a 60k seater stadium. Football can create employment across the continent.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

ohenhen1 wrote:You sound like the Americans. I disagree, all African countries should host the nation's cup. The nations cup will help with development. Look at Cameroon. They are building a 60k seater stadium. Football can create employment across the continent.
There are other CAF tourneys that can be hosted by smaller countries that can't host/co-host CAN or even CHAN, e.g. U23/20/17/Womens Cup etc.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Youth tourneys or non afcon tourneys don't have the same impact on a country like the afcon. Chan is not the same as the afcon proper.

BTW Nigeria will be one of the country's that will find it difficult to host the nation's cup. Have you seen the floods in Nigeria? And it will only get worse with global warming affecting the sea levels.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

danfo driver wrote:Okay, lets make a deal.

For the next 3 ANCs, the European leagues will take a break in January and february, to allow us concentrate on the ANC. Then after that, for eternity, we will move the ANC to June, to accomodate them.

Yup! I am sure you mental saves know what Europe will say. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I am sure in your mind you know the anwser. Your masters will never give up 3 years, while they ask you for eternity. But yet, you want to bend down to your master. continue. shameless things.

Guess no one wants to take this deal. slaves! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

ohenhen1 wrote:Youth tourneys or non afcon tourneys don't have the same impact on a country like the afcon. Chan is not the same as the afcon proper.

BTW Nigeria will be one of the country's that will find it difficult to host the nation's cup. Have you seen the floods in Nigeria? And it will only get worse with global warming affecting the sea levels.
What is the difference in impact? More White Elephants? CHAN is the defacto Africa Cup. Nigeria tried to bid to co-host 2010 WC in June. Nigeria football league is currently running and played throughout the rains. All problems have pragmatic solutions.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

ohenhen1 wrote:You sound like the Americans. I disagree, all African countries should host the nation's cup. The nation's cup will help with development. Look at Cameroon. They are building a 60k seater stadium. Football can create employment across the continent.
After the tournament will they be able to maintain or even fill it if used regularly?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:You sound like the Americans. I disagree, all African countries should host the nation's cup. The nation's cup will help with development. Look at Cameroon. They are building a 60k seater stadium. Football can create employment across the continent.
After the tournament will they be able to maintain or even fill it if used regularly?
Develop a maintenance culture.

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Maintenance need funding. When stadiums are always relatively near empty, where will the funds come from? What is the average attendance at league matches? even attendance at senior internationals?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The Afcon is already suffering from low attendance and low revenue. Not many people watch the CHAN or the youth tourneys. I am probably among the few Africans that watch the youth tourneys.

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Germany vs Denmark @ Women Euros 2017 postponed till today.
Last edited by folem on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

It will force African nations to pay attention to drainage of their stadia, especially as it concerns the playing fields and their immediate surrounds.
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

folem wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Maintenance need funding. When stadiums are always relatively near empty, where will the funds come from? What is the average attendance at league matches? even attendance at senior internationals?
You can design in low maintenance. I do not think that taking care of an efficient, low maintenance, drainage of a stadium at the design stage is a big deal.
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

folem wrote:Image

The rain yesterday was not a joke ooooooo.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

fabio wrote:
folem wrote:Image
The rain yesterday was not a joke ooooooo.
The type the best drainage systems will give up on? Thats why contingency plans are made. It rains @ Euros and Women's Euros and not only in Africa.
Last edited by folem on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
After the tournament will they be able to maintain or even fill it if used regu
larly?
Just because of a football tournament you expect them to start maintaining things properly? Failing to maintain roads,hospitals,schools and important infrastructure such as power and water supply for decades isn't a sign that most African nations struggle in that department!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

chendosplastic wrote:It will force African nations to pay attention to drainage of their stadia, especially as it concerns the playing fields and their immediate surrounds.
Even with the best drainage system in the world. You can't stop flood. I went through extreme flood in Colorado. My basement was damaged. We are talking about rain forest type rain here. Several days of rain. Not the few hours of rain you get in the western countries.

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Let African countries build roof
And then get to match venues in canoes, right?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

My personal issue with playing the AFCON in June and July is that it means that players from African countries who qualify for both the AFCON and the WC may in some cases have to play tournament football for 3 straight summers (or 3 out of 4 summers), which may end up effectively putting them in uncompetitive positions at their clubs - if they are allowed to join later than others to preseason training (especially when/if they are moving to a new club).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Gotti wrote:My personal issue with playing the AFCON in June and July is that it means that players from African countries who qualify for both the AFCON and the WC may in some cases have to play tournament football for 3 straight summers (or 3 out of 4 summers), which may end up effectively putting them in uncompetitive positions at their clubs - if they are allowed to join later than others to preseason training (especially when/if they are moving to a new club).
Great point, that's another issue.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Gotti wrote:My personal issue with playing the AFCON in June and July is that it means that players from African countries who qualify for both the AFCON and the WC may in some cases have to play tournament football for 3 straight summers (or 3 out of 4 summers), which may end up effectively putting them in uncompetitive positions at their clubs - if they are allowed to join later than others to preseason training (especially when/if they are moving to a new club).
You will see more players boycott the Afcon citing nagging end of season injuries like V Moses.

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Great point, that's another issue.
Not really a big point. Currently that's the way it goes for players at the very best performing nations. e.g. Chile @ WC 2014, Copa 2015, Copa Centenario 2016, CC 2017, possibly WC2018 & Copa 2019 etc. Some other Teams e.g Germany, Mexico, Australia, Portugal are currently facing similar schedule or even more. Spain played 2008 Euros, CC 2009, WC 2010 with 2 championships.
Last edited by folem on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.