G.O.A.T. Nigerian Forwards.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
G.O.A.T. Nigerian Forwards.....

Post by Enugu II »

Other choices at the two remaining forward positions are Segun Odegbami and Sunday Usiyan. Before I explain these selections, let me address the non-selection of Nwankwo Kanu because of the controversy that may follow this decision. To many, Nwankwo is perhaps Nigeria's best known player in a global sense following his exploits at Ajax Amsterdam and Arsenal and the fact that he was the most significant player for Nigeria's gold winning 1996 Olympics team. But then sit back and think about the exploits that I just mentioned. None of those include an achievement with Nigeria's national team, which is the central criterion for picking the G.O.A.T.
Often people argue, was Finidi George not better than Odegbami? George was a very good but apart from early in his Nigerian career he could best be described as an in-betweener, not quite a forward nor a midfielder and it hurts his selection in a G.O.A.T.
For details, click below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2017/07/f ... vol-3.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
john12
Egg
Egg
Re: G.O.A.T. Nigerian Forwards.....

Post by john12 »

Any list without kanu is nonsense. It's annoying when you mention local champions like odegbami etc but kanu is omitted. If those local champions were that good how come they didn't qualify for 1 single World Cup? Congo Zaire did. How come none of them played for any elite clubs overseas? People think what kanu achieved for arsenal and Ajax was easy smh
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

... and what is all these about? We are talking or thinking of our upcoming games and here we are with archaic issues. In fact and to be honest, who cares about this?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Odas wrote:... and what is all these about? We are talking or thinking of our upcoming games and here we are with archaic issues. In fact and to be honest, who cares about this?
Nobody's forcing you to reply.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Enugu II wrote:
Other choices at the two remaining forward positions are Segun Odegbami and Sunday Usiyan. Before I explain these selections, let me address the non-selection of Nwankwo Kanu because of the controversy that may follow this decision. To many, Nwankwo is perhaps Nigeria's best known player in a global sense following his exploits at Ajax Amsterdam and Arsenal and the fact that he was the most significant player for Nigeria's gold winning 1996 Olympics team. But then sit back and think about the exploits that I just mentioned. None of those include an achievement with Nigeria's national team, which is the central criterion for picking the G.O.A.T.
Often people argue, was Finidi George not better than Odegbami? George was a very good but apart from early in his Nigerian career he could best be described as an in-betweener, not quite a forward nor a midfielder and it hurts his selection in a G.O.A.T.

Even Odegbami at mama calabar that he is not as good as Usiyen, that the guy was a genius....It has to be goalsfada
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

john12 wrote:Any list without kanu is nonsense. It's annoying when you mention local champions like odegbami etc but kanu is omitted. If those local champions were that good how come they didn't qualify for 1 single World Cup? Congo Zaire did. How come none of them played for any elite clubs overseas? People think what kanu achieved for arsenal and Ajax was easy smh
Exactly. This is not a G.O.A.T. of Arsenal and Ajax. It is a G.O.A.T. for Nigeria. Provide your argument on what Kanu dod for the SE and then it would make sense.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Prince wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Even Odegbami at mama calabar that he is not as good as Usiyen, that the guy was a genius....It has to be goalsfada
Prince,

All three -- Yekini, Odegbami, and Usiyan -- made the team.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Enugu II,

Sorry, Kanu deserves a place more than Thompson Usiyen...and this is without prejudice...

I saw both players in their prime, and Usiyen cannot tie Kanu's boots...it's like putting Raul Gonzalez ahead of Zinedine Zidane in any RM GOAT Forwards (simply because Raul had a higher goals-ratio)...ridiculous...

Even with his goals-ratio, Usiyen played for a mere 2 years (1976-1978)... the same reason Ezeani, Ehilegbu, etc were omitted in your earlier GOAT XI...

Is performance at club level not a parameter for GOAT? What did Usiyen do at club level?

For me, Usiyen falls behind Kanu after averaging the significant parameters for GOAT:

1. Goals: NT - Usiyen > Kanu; Club - Kanu > Usiyen
2. Longetivity: NT - Kanu > Usiyen; Club - Kanu > Usiyen
3. Influence on the game (x-factor/fanbase): NT - Kanu > Usiyen; Club: Kanu > Usiyen
4. Honours: NT - Kanu > Usiyen (Kanu won junior honours & participated at 3 WCups); Club - Kanu > Usiyen...

So, Enugu II, kindly indicate one parameter for GOAT (apart from goals-ratio at national team level) that elevates Usiyen above Kanu...

Maybe you ought to sit down sometime with one or two GOAT candidates on your list and ask them whom they'd choose between Kanu & Usiyen...

I know Big Seg (who played with Usiyen) would choose Kanu without a blink everyday of the week all year long...

P.S.: It's heresy to deny the only Nigerian player in history to win APOY twice a place in the GOAT XI...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

FATHER TIKO wrote:Enugu II,

Sorry, Kanu deserves a place more than Thompson Usiyen...and this is without prejudice...

I saw both players in their prime, and Usiyen cannot tie Kanu's boots...it's like putting Raul Gonzalez ahead of Zinedine Zidane in any RM GOAT Forwards (simply because Raul had a higher goals-ratio)...ridiculous...

Even with his goals-ratio, Usiyen played for a mere 2 years (1976-1978)... the same reason Ezeani, Ehilegbu, etc were omitted in your earlier GOAT XI...

Is performance at club level not a parameter for GOAT? What did Usiyen do at club level?

For me, Usiyen falls behind Kanu after averaging the significant parameters for GOAT:

3. Influence on the game (x-factor/fanbase): NT - Kanu > Usiyen; Club: Kanu > Usiyen
4. Honours: NT - Kanu > Usiyen (Kanu won junior honours & participated at 3 WCups); Club - Kanu > Usiyen...

So, Enugu II, kindly indicate one parameter for GOAT (apart from goals-ratio at national team level) that elevates Usiyen above Kanu...

Maybe you ought to sit down sometime with one or two GOAT candidates on your list and ask them whom they'd choose between Kanu & Usiyen...

I know Big Seg (who played with Usiyen) would choose Kanu without a blink everyday of the week all year long...

P.S.: It's heresy to deny the only Nigerian player in history to win APOY twice a place in the GOAT XI...
Ikpeba won the award too...does that mean he was better than Amokachi in SE? Kanu's made his name in under age competition and club games but unfortunately he didn't fire all the cylinders for SE. How can you make it to 5 ANC and 3 WC with zero goals and a forward for that matter.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

eyan wrote:

Ikpeba won the award too...does that mean he was better than Amokachi in SE? Kanu's made his name in under age competition and club games but unfortunately he didn't fire all the cylinders for SE. How can you make it to 5 ANC and 3 WC with zero goals and a forward for that matter.
Please state your parameters for GOAT Forwards?
I've stated mine...and those parameters are self-evident...

Kanu's goals-ratio was abysmal; no question...but are goals-ratio the only parameters for forwards? I thought a forward's ability is judged beyond mere goals prowess, otherwise Filipo Inzaghi would be an all-time great...

Ikpeba v Amokachi? No debate because AMOKACHI WAS A BETTER ALL-ROUND FORWARD PLAYER THAN IKPEBA...

Same way Kanu was a better all-round forward than Usiyen...ask anyone who saw both players at their prime...
I did...so did Segun Odegbami and countless others...
- Bill Shankly
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Odas wrote:... and what is all these about? We are talking or thinking of our upcoming games and here we are with archaic issues. In fact and to be honest, who cares about this?
... and I never asked you to reply either.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Well, I can't disagree with Rashidi Yekini being the best Naija forward of all time. I'm just glad somebody finally put Kanu in his place. He was overrated.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
eyan wrote:

Kanu's goals-ratio was abysmal; no question...but are goals-ratio the only parameters for forwards? I thought a forward's ability is judged beyond mere goals prowess, otherwise Filipo Inzaghi would be an all-time great...

Ikpeba v Amokachi? No debate because AMOKACHI WAS A BETTER ALL-ROUND FORWARD PLAYER THAN IKPEBA...

Same way Kanu was a better all-round forward than Usiyen...ask anyone who saw both players at their prime...
No, you missed the major parameter...what did Kanu contribute to SE? How many memorable play for SE? Do you remember anything about his performance in 3wcs? Well, I remember one, when Okocha set him up one-on-one with a keeper against Denmark. Do you remember anything about his 5 ANC apart from getting scared of playing penalty in 2004...and he was the most senior guy yet to go pay. Kanu was a great player for club and for Nigeria in under age competition. He wasn't a leader on the field...at least for Naija.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Odas wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Some advice: if you're not interested in a topic... don't comment on it.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Odas wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Why don't you advise yourself to that effect? If you don't like what I said (wrote) or my position on a thread, why don't you ignore it and move-on? Your name (Yeyeman) is really showing. You are a REAL "YEYEMAN."
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

john12 wrote:Any list without kanu is nonsense. It's annoying when you mention local champions like odegbami etc but kanu is omitted. If those local champions were that good how come they didn't qualify for 1 single World Cup? Congo Zaire did. How come none of them played for any elite clubs overseas? People think what kanu achieved for arsenal and Ajax was easy smh

I believe Kanu merits a selection in such a list but Nigeria's eventual qualification for WC was boosted by the tournament's expansion. In a way looking back you will be forgiven to think Africa was given a third slot to give Nigeria a chance. Those local champs could have done it too if slots acruing to Africa nations were more in their own era.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

eyan wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
eyan wrote:

No, you missed the major parameter...what did Kanu contribute to SE? How many memorable play for SE? Do you remember anything about his performance in 3wcs? Well, I remember one, when Okocha set him up one-on-one with a keeper against Denmark. Do you remember anything about his 5 ANC apart from getting scared of playing penalty in 2004...and he was the most senior guy yet to go pay. Kanu was a great player for club and for Nigeria in under age competition. He wasn't a leader on the field...at least for Naija.
Do you believe Usiyen contributed more than Kanu for SE? If yes, do your analysis of the factors just for the sake of this discussion.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

FATHER TIKO,

Make I clear my throat b4 I reply ooo! First, let me state that Kanu is one of my favorite forwards but so also is Usiyan. This is to make it clear that I have nothing against him or his game. In fact, if there is a category for Nigerian ambassadors for football, he probably will be No. 1. However, the criteria for G.O.A.T. is strictly what the player did while playing for the senior Nigerian national team. My responses are in red.

Actually, Usiyan played from 1976-81. His number of games were by far ahead of either Ehilegbu (10) and Ezeani (13) who played for shorter periods.
Is performance at club level not a parameter for GOAT? What did Usiyen do at club level?Club performance is not a criterion and if it were, it will not include foreign clubs. That is why winning ASFOY will not be very significant as AFOY can be based on performance at a foreign club as you well know.

Bros, though clubs are not considered but you should be aware that Usiyan was just as prolific at his school in the USA (Currently holds USA schools record for goals) and at the Rowdies. I doubt that Kanu was more prolific at the club level.
There are actually several. Kanu never scored for Nigeria in a major tournament -- World Cups and AFCONs. I note also that Kanu averaged a mere 56 minutes per game for Nigeria which means that in most of his games for Nigeria he was either a sub or was subbed.

I do not know about Big Sheg but CCC rated Usiyan ahead of Goalsfather! Check out youtube. See also comments from likes of Odiye.
See my earlier comment. TBH, I believe that no other Nigerian player was known globally as Kanu and deservedly so but in terms of G.O.A.T. based on performance in Nigerian colors, Kanu does not belong. Now, of course, if you are using a G.O.A.T. based on performance at foreign clubs the result will surely be different.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Odas wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Odas wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Why don't you advise yourself to that effect? If you don't like what I said (wrote) or my position on a thread, why don't you ignore it and move-on? Your name (Yeyeman) is really showing. You are a REAL "YEYEMAN."
I DO take my own advice by not posting comments on threads I'm not interested in.

Take a deep breath, Odas. Relax. And next time you're not interested in a topic just stay out of it. Thanks.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Odas wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Odas wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
I DO take my own advice by not posting comments on threads I'm not interested in.

Take a deep breath, Odas. Relax. And next time you're not interested in a topic just stay out of it. Thanks.
Last edited by Odas on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Enugu II, let me also state that Kanu is not my all-time favourite Nigerian player. That credit goes to JJ Okocha...
But credit whom it is due...

I saw Usiyan in his prime. I saw 2 games in 1977 at Sports-City: Nig v Senegal; Nig v CIV... and watched Usiyan destroy CIV in a 4-0 romp...so as a fan, I can appreciate Usiyan...
But, please, please, Usiyan is a lesser footballer than Kanu...
There's simply no way Usiyan is picked ahead of Kanu in any pool of XI players, abeg...
In Usiyan's SEagles class, Kanu's peers would be CCC, Odegbami, Muda Lawal, Okala (those 4 titans filled stadia across the country; not Usiyan...)
Enugu II, my bro, are we actually debating this..? :???: :???: :???:
Check my responses to you highlighted in blue...
Enugu II wrote:FATHER TIKO,

Make I clear my throat b4 I reply ooo! First, let me state that Kanu is one of my favorite forwards but so also is Usiyan. This is to make it clear that I have nothing against him or his game. In fact, if there is a category for Nigerian ambassadors for football, he probably will be No. 1. However, the criteria for G.O.A.T. is strictly what the player did while playing for the senior Nigerian national team. My responses are in red.

Actually, Usiyan played from 1976-81. His number of games were by far ahead of either Ehilegbu (10) and Ezeani (13) who played for shorter periods.

Usiyan may have played 1976-81; but he featured for Nigeria 1976-1978 which underlines his comparatively meagre longetivity to Kanu; Usiyan left Nigeria 1977, and Coach Father Tiko struggled to field a replacement.
Usiyan's premature departure to the US in 1977 was one major reason Nigeria lost the 1978 WCQ. There were several pretenders (John Nwadioha, Martins Eyo, etc) but none was able to fill Usiyan's boots...
If Usiyan was available by 1981, he would most probably have played 1980 AFCON

The key here is the comparison of the duration of the international careers of Usiyan & Kanu...

Is performance at club level not a parameter for GOAT? What did Usiyen do at club level?Club performance is not a criterion and if it were, it will not include foreign clubs. That is why winning ASFOY will not be very significant as AFOY can be based on performance at a foreign club as you well know.

I believe club career must be a criterion...GOAT should include every aspect of a player's career; and I agree greater weight should be placed on domestic club career...
Here again, Usiyan falls below Kanu; Kanu was a marquee name the brief spell he featured for Iwuanyanwu Nationale (granted the fame was aided by his exploits at Golden Eaglets)

Bros, though clubs are not considered but you should be aware that Usiyan was just as prolific at his school in the USA (Currently holds USA schools record for goals) and at the Rowdies. I doubt that Kanu was more prolific at the club level.
Goals-Ratio is Kanu's weakest attribute...no debate here...

There are actually several. Kanu never scored for Nigeria in a major tournament -- World Cups and AFCONs. I note also that Kanu averaged a mere 56 minutes per game for Nigeria which means that in most of his games for Nigeria he was either a sub or was subbed.
Kanu's prowess as a forward was not about goals.
Unless we decide that Kanu's many Man-Of-The-Match performances for Nigeria are not a factor in the GOAT debate...
A few instances:
Opening game of AFCON 2000 v Tunisia...
2002WCQ v Sudan at Omdurman...
2004AFCON Qualifier v Malawi at Abuja...

How can we forget the once-in-a-lifetime pass that bamboozled 5 Cameroun defenders, and freed Utaka to net the winner in the 2004AFCON QF..?
The myth that Kanu was "average" for SEagles originated from the unreasonably high expectation placed on Kanu to single-handedly win games like he did at cadet-level...

I do not know about Big Sheg but CCC rated Usiyan ahead of Goalsfather! Check out youtube. See also comments from likes of Odiye.
See my earlier comment. TBH, I believe that no other Nigerian player was known globally as Kanu and deservedly so but in terms of G.O.A.T. based on performance in Nigerian colors, Kanu does not belong. Now, of course, if you are using a G.O.A.T. based on performance at foreign clubs the result will surely be different.
I still insist that the only Nigerian to win APOY twice deserves a place in any Nigeria GOAT XI...
Placing lop-sided weight on Goals-Ratio factor for forwards is misleading...Note that Kanu was not a #9, but a support striker...
- Bill Shankly
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Father Tiko
I see your point on Kanu and I do not disagree with claim that he is perhaps the most popular Nigerian player globally or has won the AFOY. However, it is important to note the criteria put forward for the GOAT. That criteria is different from that used in AFOY which explains why AFOY winners like Ikpeba and Amineke are not listed among the GOAT. AFOY highlights performance at Euro clubs, the GOAT downplays it.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Odas wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Odas wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

... and whenever I take a position on a thread and you don't like my position or what I wrote, take a CHILL PILL, ignore it and move on