Which African Nations Have Ever Beaten England or the UK?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Which African Nations Have Ever Beaten England or the UK?

Post by Kabalega »

I hope CE's rich knowledge of the UK, especially England, will have an answer. :)

EDIT: The results should be between Africa team and England or the UK Olympic team.

Games against Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland do not count.

Not sure about a Great Britain team.
Last edited by Kabalega on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Which African Nations Have Ever Beaten England or the UK

Post by Comrade Machel »

Well for as long as I been in the UK I don't know of any though I could be wrong and if its happened I bet it was a friendly :D I hate England thoroughly but I know they will thrash African teams with ease :taunt:

This is why Cameroon 1990 is greatest African team ever when you consider how they went out and that they beat Argentina who were serving world champions and Cameroon actually TOPPED group B going into the next round. In quarter finals if Oman biyik hadn't tried a cheeky backheel rather than simple turn and shoot they would beaten England or if the ref hadn't robbed them with phantom penalties England were beat :curse:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Samora Machel wrote:Well for as long as I been in the UK I don't know of any though I could be wrong and if its happened I bet it was a friendly :D I hate England thoroughly but I know they will thrash African teams with ease :taunt:

This is why Cameroon 1990 is greatest African team ever when you consider how they went out and that they beat Argentina who were serving world champions and Cameroon actually TOPPED group B going into the next round. In quarter finals if Oman biyik hadn't tried a cheeky backheel rather than simple turn and shoot they would beaten England or if the ref hadn't robbed them with phantom penalties England were beat :curse:
Senegal also beat the reigning world champions - France
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Sad that Africa has yet to break the Qfinals since cameroun 90 , That's 27yrs of no improvement.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Sad that Africa has yet to break the Qfinals since cameroun 90 , That's 27yrs of no improvement.
Break the quarterfinals, you mean progress from the quarter finals? No African team has ever progressed from the quarter finals. So why did you put since Cameroun 90? You for don put since 5000 BC since it has never happened.

Now, if you meant, reach the quarter finals of the WC, Senegal in 2002 and Ghana in 2010 have done it.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

African teams are too naive, yes I said it, too forking naive, to beat England. When we stop playing secondary school soccer, we will beat everybody well well, including England, Argentina, Italy, Germany and Brazil.

Wha choo looking at?!
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Scipio Africanus wrote:African teams are too naive, yes I said it, too forking naive, to beat England. When we stop playing secondary school soccer, we will beat everybody well well, including England, Argentina, Italy, Germany and Brazil.
It used to annoy me when tv commentators said it but its true oh. I bet when playing against african teams coaches tell their wards even if the africans go 2- nkl up keep playing as normal because they will make a mistake and sure enough

Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Rawlings wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:Well for as long as I been in the UK I don't know of any though I could be wrong and if its happened I bet it was a friendly :D I hate England thoroughly but I know they will thrash African teams with ease :taunt:

Its not just that they beat the world champions but Cameroon actually topped the group which is no mean feat at a world cup

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Sad that Africa has yet to break the Qfinals since cameroun 90 , That's 27yrs of no improvement.
Break the quarterfinals, you mean progress from the quarter finals? No African team has ever progressed from the quarter finals. So why did you put since Cameroun 90? You for don put since 5000 BC since it has never happened.

Now, if you meant, reach the quarter finals of the WC, Senegal in 2002 and Ghana in 2010 have done it.

1990 was the first time an African side reached the quarters and the accurate reference point. No African side has broken/progressed since then. There is nothing with his post.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

"England or the U.K." Ok, well Nigeria have lost 1-0 in a Friendly at the old Wembley to England and drawn 0-0 in the World Cup,they've beaten Scotland 2-1 in Aberdeen then drew 1-1 at Cravens Cottage Fulham London,the Republic don't count as british but Nigeria beat them twice 2-1 in Dublin and 3-0 in The Valley Charlton London.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Eaglezbeak wrote:"England or the U.K." Ok, well Nigeria have lost 1-0 in a Friendly at the old Wembley to England and drawn 0-0 in the World Cup,they've beaten Scotland 2-1 in Aberdeen then drew 1-1 at Cravens Cottage Fulham London,the Republic don't count as british but Nigeria beat them twice 2-1 in Dublin and 3-0 in The Valley Charlton London.
I meant England or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The UK used to field a team in the Olympics.
Then why are you intentionally going off topic?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Kabalega wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:"England or the U.K." Ok, well Nigeria have lost 1-0 in a Friendly at the old Wembley to England and drawn 0-0 in the World Cup,they've beaten Scotland 2-1 in Aberdeen then drew 1-1 at Cravens Cottage Fulham London,the Republic don't count as british but Nigeria beat them twice 2-1 in Dublin and 3-0 in The Valley Charlton London.
I meant England or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The UK used to field a team in the Olympics.
Did I not cover all their games against Uk opposition and made it clear that the Republic Ireland are not members of the Uk but are a nation on the British Isles so I mentioned them after all their best players ever played in England.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Did I not cover all their games against Uk opposition and made it clear that the Republic Ireland are not members of the Uk but are a nation on the British Isles so I mentioned them after all their best players ever played in England.
My fault! I should have been more clear in the OP.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Unfortuntely i dont see any African team good enough to beat England. Until we can defend set pieces like a world class teams and not like pub teams
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

As always, what the thread poster (starter) said or wanted is different from what many people answered or provided in response. I see why people FAIL exams. Even after being given "proper" instructions, people still went "out of point" in their answers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Samora Machel wrote:
Rawlings wrote:

Its not just that they beat the world champions but Cameroon actually topped the group which is no mean feat at a world cup
They lost woefully to Russia. Any reason for that?
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

An African team has never beaten England because despite all the noise we make here they are a pretty decent and consistent team. If they were in Africa they would have won the AFCON 10 times.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Odas wrote:As always, what the thread poster (starter) said or wanted is different from what many people answered or provided in response. I see why people FAIL exams. Even after being given "proper" instructions, people still went "out of point" in their answers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The question was wrong from the very start "England or the Uk" no clear specification was made for a clear answer as there is no uk football team (GB Olympic team would be precise),so the question should had been on African teams beating England or/and any other Uk national team,you see no exam board in an organised part of the world would put out such a question as the answers would vary way too much right or wrong!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

airwolex wrote:An African team has never beaten England because despite all the noise we make here they are a pretty decent and consistent team. If they were in Africa they would have won the AFCON 10 times.
No argument from me on that one. England effortlessly took Egypt apart 3-1 in Wembley just after Egypt had laid waste to Africa to win their 7th AFCON, crushing Cameroon, Nigeria and CIV on the way there.

The African game is fundamentally weak, or weak on fundamentals. That has gotta change, or we just have to be content with 1st and 2nd round exits at the WC.

Wha choo looking at?!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
airwolex wrote:An African team has never beaten England because despite all the noise we make here they are a pretty decent and consistent team. If they were in Africa they would have won the AFCON 10 times.
No argument from me on that one. England effortlessly took Egypt apart 3-1 in Wembley just after Egypt had laid waste to Africa to win their 7th AFCON, crushing Cameroon, Nigeria and CIV on the way there.

The African game is fundamentally weak, or weak on fundamentals. That has gotta change, or we just have to be content with 1st and 2nd round exits at the WC.
True African football hasn't improved much since the 90s even for the continents so called better teams!
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Scipio Africanus wrote:

What rounds do England make their exit at WC?
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Funny thread...how many games between England & African teams?

But African teams have defeated teams with higher ranking than England at given periods...

These teams beaten by African teams were definitely better than England at the times they were beaten:
Poland WC78 (England did not even qualify)
Germany WC82
Bulgaria WC94 (England did not even qualify)

WC94: I am 100% convinced Nigeria would have beaten England; had England qualified, and been in the same group...
WC2010: 50% probability Ghana would have beaten England if both teams had clashed in that tournament...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

FATHER TIKO wrote:Funny thread...how many games between England & African teams?

But African teams have defeated teams with higher ranking than England at given periods...

These teams beaten by African teams were definitely better than England at the times they were beaten:
Poland WC78 (England did not even qualify)
Germany WC82
Bulgaria WC94 (England did not even qualify)

WC94: I am 100% convinced Nigeria would have beaten England; had England qualified, and been in the same group...
WC2010: 50% probability Ghana would have beaten England if both teams had clashed in that tournament...
I agree that when England was weaker they didn't meet any African opposition but in comparison Cameroons Italia 90 squad was better than England and still lost despite out playing England who where not at their best according to earlier expectation,England where playing a Cameroon side that beat the reigning world champions Argentina and beat that years Afcon finalists Nigeria to qualify so it still balances out that African teams find England hard to beat!