Our people don cray: Why do Nigerians love the EPL

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Our people don cray: Why do Nigerians love the EPL

Post by airwolex »

Damunk wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:
mcal wrote:...Nigerians love epl because the Nigerian hierarchy directed them to, the hospital visits, the gloated for oyinbo club in london, and the money miss road who wan buy oyinbo club.
You are a big fool..It is all about entertainment. Tell me what is exciting to watch on Nigerian TVs?
Absolutely. :thumb:
Escapism.
If na just for 90mins, its still worth getting away from the minute-to-minute stress that is daily Nigerian life. Even out here, I have found myself focussing on an upcoming EPL game (or a Super Eagles game, even sometimes a Golden Eaglets game) to help carry me through a stressful period.
It is no coincidence that the Nigerian entertainment industry is said to be the only sector unaffected by the recession.
I really don't understand what the fuss is about. Life can be tough in Naija and the Premier League, Champions league, La Liga or whatever is just a form of escapism. Every Sat to Monday you can just tune out and enjoy. Sometimes it's not even the football, it's the banter with friends, the friendly yabbis, the cold beer in joints etc.

Absolutely nothing wrong in enjoying good quality stuff, also nothing wrong in aligning yourselves to teams as long as you don't get stupid with it.

The Nigerian football League is crap. This is not like NEPA where we have to accept the service provided. If they want us to watch let them elevate themselves. Years ago we only listened to American music, as soon as Nigerian musicians upped their game we all shifted.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

airwolex wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:
mcal wrote:...Nigerians love epl because the Nigerian hierarchy directed them to, the hospital visits, the gloated for oyinbo club in london, and the money miss road who wan buy oyinbo club.
You are a big fool..It is all about entertainment. Tell me what is exciting to watch on Nigerian TVs?
Absolutely. :thumb:
Escapism.
If na just for 90mins, its still worth getting away from the minute-to-minute stress that is daily Nigerian life. Even out here, I have found myself focussing on an upcoming EPL game (or a Super Eagles game, even sometimes a Golden Eaglets game) to help carry me through a stressful period.
It is no coincidence that the Nigerian entertainment industry is said to be the only sector unaffected by the recession.
I really don't understand what the fuss is about. Life can be tough in Naija and the Premier League, Champions league, La Liga or whatever is just a form of escapism. Every Sat to Monday you can just tune out and enjoy. Sometimes it's not even the football, it's the banter with friends, the friendly yabbis, the cold beer in joints etc.

Absolutely nothing wrong in enjoying good quality stuff, also nothing wrong in aligning yourselves to teams as long as you don't get stupid with it.

The Nigerian football League is crap. This is not like NEPA where we have to accept the service provided. If they want us to watch let them elevate themselves. Years ago we only listened to American music, as soon as Nigerian musicians upped their game we all shifted.
Excellent point.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Damunk,

The market is here, huge and willing....but who will watch rubbish just because it is local? Those days are gone forever. I am waiting for Man City and Everton, my Gulder is chilling in the freezer...who get time? :taunt: :taunt:
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

airwolex wrote:Damunk,

The market is here, huge and willing....but who will watch rubbish just because it is local? Those days are gone forever. I am waiting for Man City and Everton, my Gulder is chilling in the freezer...who get time? :taunt: :taunt:
:lol:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

I watch NPFL games (at least when it's on SS9)....

Many of the games are actually very entertaining - certainly better than EPL games like WBA v Stoke, Brighton, Burnley, etc, and almost anything in the championship or in Turkey. Officiating and (many times) the quality of the pitch needs considerable improvement though.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

cic old boy wrote:Nobody beats Nigerians when it comes to copying the stupidity of others. We never learn from the English about keeping records, about organisation, about providing free healthcare and education, about constant electricity supply. No, we adopt an English club, copy their brain dead programmes like Big Brother, etc.
Bros, but we love to "belong"... :D

If you hear Naijarians arguing about Kim Kardashian and Blac Chyna (sp?), you would be forgiven to think these folks are their neighbors or relatives.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Gotti wrote:
cic old boy wrote:Nobody beats Nigerians when it comes to copying the stupidity of others. We never learn from the English about keeping records, about organisation, about providing free healthcare and education, about constant electricity supply. No, we adopt an English club, copy their brain dead programmes like Big Brother, etc.
Bros, but we love to "belong"... :D

If you hear Naijarians arguing about Kim Kardashian and Blac Chyna (sp?), you would be forgiven to think these folks are their neighbors or relatives.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Gotti wrote:Bros, but we love to "belong"... :D

:lol: :lol: Nna, I remember picking up some chicas in Enugu in the 90s when the 2Pac and Biggie thing was blowing up and one of them asked me whether I was down with the East Coast or West Coast. I was like "do you mean East or West Enugu?"
http://www.naijiant.com/
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Gotti wrote:

Many of the games are actually very entertaining - certainly better than EPL games like WBA v Stoke, Brighton, Burnley, etc, and almost anything in the championship or in Turkey. Officiating and (many times) the quality of the pitch needs considerable improvement though.
Bros, entertaining is not just quality of football. It is the state pf the pitch, commentaries, playbacks, fans, punditry, production - everything. I try to watch some local games, most definitely not as entertaining as the Championship never mind the lower tiers of the EPL. The commentary alone just puts me off. Okay we don't have the facilities but what's the excuse for a commentator that doesn't even know the names of some of the players?

It really is a simple matter of upping their game. This is a business and they are competing with the same product that is superior in presentation.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

airwolex wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Bros, entertaining is not just quality of football. It is the state pf the pitch, commentaries, playbacks, fans, punditry, production - everything. I try to watch some local games, most definitely not as entertaining as the Championship never mind the lower tiers of the EPL. The commentary alone just puts me off. Okay we don't have the facilities but what's the excuse for a commentator that doesn't even know the names of some of the players?

It really is a simple matter of upping their game. This is a business and they are competing with the same product that is superior in presentation.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
How can free money be business? In Nigeria free money propels football, never mind the thinly veiled advertisements.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

airwolex wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Bros, entertaining is not just quality of football. It is the state pf the pitch, commentaries, playbacks, fans, punditry, production - everything. I try to watch some local games, most definitely not as entertaining as the Championship never mind the lower tiers of the EPL. The commentary alone just puts me off. Okay we don't have the facilities but what's the excuse for a commentator that doesn't even know the names of some of the players? It's not all the pitches that are bad.
The production of NPFL matches has improved significantly with Supersport. What puts you off the commentary in particular? and what match are you complaining about and the particular commentator? Are you just generalising?

[/video]

[/video]
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I don't want to argue too much as this is one of those instances in which everyone has their opinions. But even from the clip Folem showed, starting with the first animation of the Eagle flying, the lack of professionalism and attention to detail is glaring. I could do a better animation job in a couple of hours and I'm no expert myself. That in itself screams, this is an inferior product.

The commentary is average. It is clear that they have not done their homework. I am no expert but I would say commentary is not just about a play by play account; but an in-depth knowledge of the game, players, clubs and rules. It does put me off when commentators don't know all the players and cannot give us a snippet of who they are. Past clubs, caps, goals, assists etc. For someone like me who doesn't follow the League you need to start personalizing things so that we can form attachments asap.

The punditry for me is almost half the game. It's no mistake that the EPL, NBA, NFL spend almost as much time and resources on pre and post game analysis.

I guess the point is you cannot appeal solely to patriotism. You actually need to put out a product that can compete, this is not 1980 that we had to wait for Tuesday to watch match of the week in the British, German leagues and Serie A. We have just too many options.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

cic old boy wrote:
Gotti wrote:Bros, but we love to "belong"... :D

:lol: :lol: Nna, I remember picking up some chicas in Enugu in the 90s when the 2Pac and Biggie thing was blowing up and one of them asked me whether I was down with the East Coast or West Coast. I was like "do you mean East or West Enugu?"
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Nigerians are a very backward people unfortunately. I find their obsession with the English league to be overwhelming inexplicable. There were more Nigerians in attendance, during the recent Manchester derby in Houston, than the ongoing season of the Houston Dynamo. The only factor, perhaps, would be the sports arm of globalists, bent on stripping away domestic league focus and siphon money off soccer fans in nations like Nigeria.

Wake me up when fans of European extraction have any idea of African club sides and their activities. I cannot speak for other nationalities but Nigerians complain about the NFF and quality of domestic league. Nigeria is deteriorating because the mindset of its populace is deteriorating.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

scholl wrote:Nigerians are a very backward people unfortunately. I find their obsession with the English league to be overwhelming inexplicable. There were more Nigerians in attendance, during the recent Manchester derby in Houston, than the ongoing season of the Houston Dynamo. The only factor, perhaps, would be the sports arm of globalists, bent on stripping away domestic league focus and siphon money off soccer fans in nations like Nigeria.

Wake me up when fans of European extraction have any idea of African club sides and their activities. I cannot speak for other nationalities but Nigerians complain about the NFF and quality of domestic league. Nigeria is deteriorating because the mindset of its populace is deteriorating.
You are just being sentimental. Maybe patriotic too, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But calling Nigerians 'backward' because they prefer the EPL to their domestic league is a little harsh, to put it mildly. The EPL is the most popular league in the world and if you are unhappy with that for whatever personal reason, it doesn't change the undeniable facts. Probably half the football loving world prefers watching the EPL to their own domestic leagues and unashamedly so.

Airwolex explained it perfectly - its all about the packaging.
It is probably why you use foreign made condoms to any local Naija brand - that's if they even exist. :P :P :P
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

airwolex wrote:I don't want to argue too much as this is one of those instances in which everyone has their opinions. But even from the clip Folem showed, starting with the first animation of the Eagle flying, the lack of professionalism and attention to detail is glaring. I could do a better animation job in a couple of hours and I'm no expert myself. That in itself screams, this is an inferior product.

The commentary is average. It is clear that they have not done their homework. I am no expert but I would say commentary is not just about a play by play account; but an in-depth knowledge of the game, players, clubs and rules. It does put me off when commentators don't know all the players and cannot give us a snippet of who they are. Past clubs, caps, goals, assists etc. For someone like me who doesn't follow the League you need to start personalizing things so that we can form attachments asap.

The punditry for me is almost half the game. It's no mistake that the EPL, NBA, NFL spend almost as much time and resources on pre and post game analysis.

I guess the point is you cannot appeal solely to patriotism. You actually need to put out a product that can compete, this is not 1980 that we had to wait for Tuesday to watch match of the week in the British, German leagues and Serie A. We have just too many options.
It is all about packaging, Commentary is very important, We need to know the background of this players, how they came from Mushin with no education, used to train with no shoes under the bridge, tell us who used to play under those bridge like Obi or something, This commentators are not student of the game. I am reading heavy D book on Nigerian football really fascinating, How Thunder Baloguns was not chosen, we used to have the JALCO Cup against Ghana every year how some players where accussed of collecting bribe to let Ghana beat us, You need to package the whole story.

The greats like Ernest Okonkwo were students of the game they watched Naija, they were passionate,

I listen to cricket commentary, a five day game with little or no activity and they make it interesting that millions listen online :ohmy: :ohmy:

I went to watch the Star Sixes in 02 this are players that have passed their prime and still managed to make it look interesting.

Also make the Arena intersting, peper soup joints, dinner places, night clubs, make it a spot and Hub. Let agents and scouts come, sports marketers, sports writers, make money from viewing centers around the stadium let them watch their EPL especially if a naija player or aplayer with naija heritage is on display.

Make the damn thing intersting even if it is rubbish football create a buzz around the whole thing..
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

The funny thing is after the star sixes game they sent me a survery to complete to see how they can improve, despite sell out crowd, when have they consulted us to see what we want and what will attract us to the games
Oya back to the matter
open and close
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Prince wrote: I listen to cricket commentary, a five day game with little or no activity and they make it interesting that millions listen online :ohmy: :ohmy:
You listened to test cricket on Test Match Special (TMS) on BBC with Jonathan Agnew, Boycott and blowers (who recently retired from commentary). They all played the game and loved it. Blowers is more interesting because of his approach he talks about pigeons, the weather, underground, clothes and make funs of himself.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Prince wrote:
airwolex wrote:I don't want to argue too much as this is one of those instances in which everyone has their opinions. But even from the clip Folem showed, starting with the first animation of the Eagle flying, the lack of professionalism and attention to detail is glaring. I could do a better animation job in a couple of hours and I'm no expert myself. That in itself screams, this is an inferior product.

It is all about packaging, Commentary is very important, We need to know the background of this players, how they came from Mushin with no education, used to train with no shoes under the bridge, tell us who used to play under those bridge like Obi or something, This commentators are not student of the game. I am reading heavy D book on Nigerian football really fascinating, How Thunder Baloguns was not chosen, we used to have the JALCO Cup against Ghana every year how some players where accussed of collecting bribe to let Ghana beat us, You need to package the whole story.

The greats like Ernest Okonkwo were students of the game they watched Naija, they were passionate,

I listen to cricket commentary, a five day game with little or no activity and they make it interesting that millions listen online :ohmy: :ohmy:

I went to watch the Star Sixes in 02 this are players that have passed their prime and still managed to make it look interesting.

Also make the Arena intersting, peper soup joints, dinner places, night clubs, make it a spot and Hub. Let agents and scouts come, sports marketers, sports writers, make money from viewing centers around the stadium let them watch their EPL especially if a naija player or aplayer with naija heritage is on display.

Make the damn thing intersting even if it is rubbish football create a buzz around the whole thing..
And you think many of your suggestions are not already in place? How many NPFL match commentaries have you or airwolex listened to in the last 2 years to make this judgement on the current state of football? Or is it all based on previous biases?

You don't sound like a Test fan if you think little or no activity takes place for those 2 hour sessions of bowling/batting/fielding or umpiring errors, DRS i.e Crickets VAR. Maybe T20 is your fix. :mrgreen:
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

folem wrote:
Prince wrote:

And you think many of your suggestions are not already in place? How many NPFL match commentariess have you or airwolex listened to in the last 2 years to make this judgement on the current state of football? Or is it all based on previous biases?

You don't sound like a Test fan if you think little or no activity takes place for those 2 hour sessions of bowling/batting/fielding or umpiring errors, DRS i.e Crickets VAR. Maybe T20 is your fix. :mrgreen:
Fabio of NTA news,
Iwatched England v South Africa Joe Root as Captain,

At Mama Calabar we met with Odegbami a while back, guys were telling giving hm information about the party he went to when he was suppose to be in training, the man could not believe it. Listen to guys on this board talk about Principal Cup, Enugu Rangers what someone said...... we dont have that anymore
Oya back to the matter
open and close
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

This is the funny thing about Nigerian businesses. I don't know if Folem is in the NFF or something.

There is a problem, people are not buying your product...you ask for opinion and you are given, next thing you are abused that you don't know anything and that you don't know the product and that you are biased and you are lying you haven't consumed the product recently.

Okay I don hear. I will stick to EPL and Champions League. :D
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Prince wrote:
folem wrote:
Prince wrote:

And you think many of your suggestions are not already in place? How many NPFL match commentariess have you or airwolex listened to in the last 2 years to make this judgement on the current state of football? Or is it all based on previous biases?

Fabio of NTA news,
Iwatched England v South Africa Joe Root as Captain,

At Mama Calabar we met with Odegbami a while back, guys were telling giving hm information about the party he went to when he was suppose to be in training, the man could not believe it. Listen to guys on this board talk about Principal Cup, Enugu Rangers what someone said...... we dont have that anymore
Fabio is a "dinosaur" probably retired and I don't think NTA is a NPFL TV partner or sponsor. Who was SA Captain?
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

airwolex wrote:This is the funny thing about Nigerian businesses. I don't know if Folem is in the NFF or something.

There is a problem, people are not buying your product...you ask for opinion and you are given, next thing you are abused that you don't know anything and that you don't know the product and that you are biased and you are lying you haven't consumed the product recently.

Okay I don hear. I will stick to EPL and Champions League. :D
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Even Super Sixes that had sell out crowds contact me to get my opinion, I offer am in peace, No wahala....

Barnet is close to me they have the Hive, it is a drinking joint/stadium they encourage local kids to play for the lower teams so their parent are interested in the clubs, they do events, etc

They have a free day for kids to watch games, the prents pay, etc etc
Oya back to the matter
open and close