Christian Madu "Gaboo" has Passed on....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Christian Madu "Gaboo" has Passed on....

Post by Enugu II »

Legendary Enugu Rangers' midfielder, Christian "Gaboo" Madu, passed on early this morning. Madu had been hospitalized for a while.

As some of you know, Madu is one of the greatest dribblers to have played at the top level in both Ghana and Nigeria. He was signed by Rangers in the mid-1970s after he mesmerized Rangers in a continental cup clash when he was playing for Accra Great Olympics.

Farewell to the great one and May His Soul Rest in Peace.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Christian Madu "Gaboo" has Passed on....

Post by Cmoke »

Yes a true legend.

Saw him dribble a bunch of iicc players at the national stadium.

CCC lamented about how Rangers promised heaven and earth to get madu to move from Accra only for the promises to remain unkept.

Rip true talent . Glad to have seen u play!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...oh my, not again. We are getting old :sad:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

RIP. I remember that name.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Oh noo! Christian Madu, the great dribbler and penalty taker of the all conquering Enugu Rangers team of the 70's. I don't think it was Rangers that brought him back from Ghana, he first signed for Alyufsalam Rocks of Ilorin and was snatched from them by Rangers.
May his soul rest in eternal bliss.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

RIP....we heard stories about his PK skills.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala wrote:Oh noo! Christian Madu, the great dribbler and penalty taker of the all conquering Enugu Rangers team of the 70's. I don't think it was Rangers that brought him back from Ghana, he first signed for Alyufsalam Rocks of Ilorin and was snatched from them by Rangers.
May his soul rest in eternal bliss.
KPOM.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

RIP...
Legend has it that dude never missed a PK.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Rest in peace.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

RIP!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

One of my favourite players of all time. The only one in the Rangers of old who i must say tried to play football when power play was the order of the day. Although he is called Madu, but he could have been called Appiah or Acquah for all i care because his skills were supreme....silky like those Ghanaians who tormented and assaulted us on the field in the 70s.

RIP Christian Madu!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Both Sabastine Ofurum and Earnest Okonkwu (Nigeria's best two sport commentators) always had beautiful things to say about Mr. Madu whenever he is on the field.

RIP to the the GREAT one!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
goldenera94
Egg
Egg

Post by goldenera94 »

RIP Madu
Goldenera94
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

wow. RIP.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
bazzwella
Egg
Egg

Post by bazzwella »

RIP, Gaboo. What you saw him do in Nigeria was when we considered him finished. He could take on the whole field, he made football lovely. He was a great artist on the ball, and yes, he never missed a penalty! He actually gambled with it. He took bets against the best keepers that he will take 10 penalties and score all, and he scored all 10. I watched him play and without any fear of contradiction, I say he was better than Messi, and I am not joking.
RIP Gabooo.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Gotti wrote:RIP...
that's what we heard...
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

May his soul rest in peace. I was always wondering how come Father Tiko never invited him to Green eagles?
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

He was ill for a while. Thanks Christian for the memories. I think he never missed a pen as a footballer.
http://www.naijiant.com/
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

Goodnight to a true baller. May your soul rest in peace.
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

RIP. We are fast losing our soccer heroes.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

bully12 wrote:May his soul rest in peace. I was always wondering how come Father Tiko never invited him to Green eagles?
Not quite true, he was in the camp, but a younger Muda stood in his way. If you want to know how good Muda was this is one of the pointers because Madu was a beast in his own rights.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Gotti wrote:RIP...
R.I.P The great Christian Madu. Your legendary penalty-taking and mesmerizing dribbling skills will forever be remembered.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

oloye wrote:
bully12 wrote:May his soul rest in peace. I was always wondering how come Father Tiko never invited him to Green eagles?
Not quite true, he was in the camp, but a younger Muda stood in his way. If you want to know how good Muda was this is one of the pointers because Madu was a beast in his own rights.
Xtian Madu made his Eagles' debut in friendly against Sierra Leone in Lagos...
And was by most spectators' (and commentators') consensus the best player on the field.

It was therefore a shocker when Father Tiko hurled him off at halftime of that game and never capped him (nor even called him up) again. Most of the press and fans had expected that Father Tiko would accommodate both Madu and Muda in the Eagles' starting XI by fielding Madu at the No. 10 position (which by then had been vacated by the irrepressible Haruna Illerika) and Muda at the No. 4 role. Unfortunately for Madu, Father Tiko who was a disciple of the old European game of speed and athleticism publicly contended that Madu (whom he had actually only capped following much pressure by the Nigerian press) had lost his speed, was slow and thus disruptive of the Eagles' play.

Father Tiko thereafter instead installed Godwin Iwelumo in the Eagles' No. 10 role, and when Iwelumo absconded to the US, Father Tiko committed the fatal error of converting then Rangers' (and later Spartans') CD the recently-deceased Kelechi "Caterpillar" Emetoele into a midfielder and installed him in the No. 10 role. IMHO, that singular inexplicable move (Emetoele turned out a plodding and heavy-footed midfielder) and the fielding of Sam Ojebode against the speedy Tunisians (instead of Felix Owolabi) cost the Eagles' what could have been a memorable maiden WC finals appearance.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL