Christian Madu "Gaboo" has Passed on....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Larry Ashagbe 1
Egg
Egg
Re: Christian Madu "Gaboo" has Passed on....

Post by Larry Ashagbe 1 »

RIP.

I remember listening on the radio to commentaries by Ernest Okonkwo hailing him by calling him Christain Madu, Madu, Madu.

Those were the goof old days.

Below is the excerpt I found on him.

https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/ ... channel=D1

Soccer News of Sunday, 24 October 2004

Source: Christian Okpara Story of Christian "Gabo" Madu « PrevNext »Comments (0)

I Changed My Name For Security Reasons, Says Ex-Green Eagles Star.

His was a household name in Nigeria's football circles in the 70s. He was a rock in the national team and Enugu Rangers of those days before injury ended his career prematurely in 1980. That was Christian Madu, the midfielder, who alternated the then Green Eagles defensive midfield position with the late Muda Lawal.

In a chat with The Guardian in Warri recently, Madu narrated the story of his early football days in Ghana, why he changed his surname from Madumere to Madu and how he joined Rangers from Ghana. He revealed that he had to change his surname, Madumere to Madu in order to remain in Ghana and continue his career, since the atmosphere then was not conducive for Nigerians living in Ghana.

"When I was in Ghana, the then government decided that Nigerians were the main reason their economy had problems and told all Nigerians to leave their country.

"I was playing for Accra Hearts of Oak then. So I had to change my surname from Madumere to Madu. That made it sound Camerounian. And not only that, an official of the club helped me to spread it around that I was Camerounian. So, I managed to secure a resident permit as a Camerounian, and continued playing for Hearts of Oaks.

"This thing happened around 1969. I played for Oaks for 12 years before I joined Great Olympics. I played for Olympic for five years before I joined Rangers, " Madu said.

Madu, who was among the Rangers Cup Winners Cup champions of 1977, said his joining the Enugu team was a chance occurrence, as he was already an established Black Stars (Ghana's national team) player and was living comfortably in Accra before the switch to the Flying Antelopes.

"I joined Rangers in 1975 by chance. What happened was that we had a match against the team in Accra, and after the match, officials of the club came to ask me if I would like to join their team. It was during our chat they discovered that I was an Igboman. And then, at that time, I was longing to come back to Nigeria. So, I agreed to join them. But I played much of my football in Ghana," he said.

Before Madu, other Nigerians had played for the Black Stars, including Ganiyu Salami, a situation which the ex-Green Eagles player attributed to the non-discriminatory attitude of Ghanaian sports officials "They allow anybody who had lived in their country to represent their national team no matter where they may come from. What they look out for is the individual's ability. Before me, I heard stories of other Nigerians who had played for them, and there was no problem. Because of the African Unity the government preached then. But the order on Nigerians to leave Ghana changed all that," he said.

Madu who played for the then Green Eagles under Father Tiko, and was in the team that won bronze in the 1978 Nations Cup team, believes that the current footballers have the necessary ingredient to succeed but blames officials for the stunted growth of football in Nigeria.

"The problem we notice in our football is that officials do not allow the better side to win anymore. In those days, clubs were not picked to win competitions, you had to play well to win matches.

"Look at the FA Cup, the organisation of the competition was such that days before the finals people would be getting ready to go and support their teams to victory. In fact, from the quarter-final stage, people were already in the mood to witness good football, and we had the players people looked up to. But that doesn't happen any more, as the competition is regarded as being for the highest bidder.

"One thing I want to commend Cola Cola for is the sponsorship which has eased the burden on many clubs. The money, the jerseys go a long way in helping the clubs to ease some of their problems.

"But to get the best out of the competition, people with deep knowledge of the game should be incorporated in the organisation. There are many people who played this game, who can fit in all segments of the game. They can use their knowledge to uplift football in the country.

"Even the league can be made glamorous again by good organisation. This means that only honest referees will be allowed to officiate in matches. If we have honest independent assessors to report the conduct of referees and teams, we will have a very good league.

"Another thing is television. It can bring people back to the venues again because watching matches can compel fans to go and see things for themselves. It will also bring more sponsors to the game, which in the long run translate to more money for all stakeholders.

"South African league attracts many sponsors, which ultimately gives money to the clubs, players, and all others with interest in football. Television has so many advantages that we should exploit to raise the standard of our game. I understand that a station has the television right to the league; but we don't see matches on television, it is a shame that at this level of Nigerians' game in world football, our local league is still suffering, " Madu lamented.

Madu called on genuine lovers of football to come and identify with the game, as making football attractive and efficient would make it lucrative, with so many benefits to Nigeria.

"What some people in authority in sports forget to realise is that football can be a very big industry that can generate employment for our youths and others who will go into other aspects of the game.

"When the game becomes attractive and people start going to the various stadia to watch matches, a lot of people will benefit from it. Souvenir sellers, petty traders and people in sundry support services will benefit from football. In some places, you will see kiosks, where people go to relax before a match, have fun and generally feel satisfied.

"Another thing that is wrong with our football, especially the league, is inadequate security. When the match officials are not secured, they will feel threatened and might want to satisfy the home crowd, just to save their heads. When football fans feel they are not safe at the stadia, they will not go there. And when there are negative stories from the stadia, sponsors will not want to associate with football. So, we have to do something in the area of security," he said. Madu, who spent only two years with the then Green Eagles before he quit football, rates their match against Sierra Leone as his most memorable match for the national team, saying that the match actually drew people's attention to his game.

"I believe it was the match against Sierra Leone that actually brought me to our fans' attention. Although, I did not score in the match, I think that was my best game for the Eagles, and the fans' reaction after the game showed that I did well. I played in other memorable matches, but the Sierra Leone game was my best for the country," he said.

Was it possible for a player to play for another country after featuring for a different country in competitive matches in those days? "Yes, it actually did not matter if you changed nationality and decided to play for your new country in those days. There were other players who later played for Nigeria after playing for Ghana. I cannot really remember the names, but at that time nobody raised eyebrows." On the present state of Enugu Rangers which held sway in Nigerian football in the 70s and early 80s, Madu said the influx of so much money into football contributed to the dwindling performance of the coal city club, adding, however, that the 'Flying Antelopes' were on the verge of reclaiming their supremacy in Nigeria.

"What happened was that a lot of people started showing interest in the game, with a lot of clubs having so much money to spend to attain championship status.

"In those days, we played for pride; to defend the colours of our team. But now, players go to clubs, with so much money to spend. I don't blame them because this is their only profession, and if they don't make money while still active, it will affect them negatively when they retire.

"Again, you know that Rangers is sponsored by the Enugu State government, which has so many other needs to cater for. Enugu is not an oil-producing state.

"Having said that, the government of Chimaroke Nnamani realises the importance of Rangers to the people of the state and the entire Igbo race. So, he has started supporting the club, and very soon Rangers will come back to where it belongs. The process has already started.

"Another thing is that the present crop of boys are serious. They are ready to play, no matter what is happening and now that the government has seen their efforts and is ready to do things for them, the boys are poised to take the team to the top.

"If you check our record, you will find out that we have always placed among the first three teams in the country. Last year, we came third in the league and would have done better but for certain things that happened at the last day of the league, this years again, we are third in the FA Cup, and I assure you, next season would be better," Madu said.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

May he RIP. As someone said, the older we get, the more we find ourselves saying goodbye to those we remember as our heroes.

PS: Can one of our more experienced forumers please clarify the article Larry posted? Did Christian Madu play for both the Black Stars and the Green Eagles .... and if so, was it really .... allowed?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The Eagle wrote:May he RIP. As someone said, the older we get, the more we find ourselves saying goodbye to those we remember as our heroes.

PS: Can one of our more experienced forumers please clarify the article Larry posted? Did Christian Madu play for both the Black Stars and the Green Eagles .... and if so, was it really .... allowed?
Doubtful that Madu ever played for the Black Stars...

We have had brothers who each played either for Nigeria or for Ghana (in fact, we had brothers who reportedly played in the same game - one brother for Ghana and one brother (Baba Ali?) for Nigeria), and we have had Ghanaians who played for Nigeria and reportedly Nigerians who played for Ghana, but never heard of anyone playing at senior international level for both Ghana and Nigeria. Also I do not believe that Madu was in the 1978 ANC squad (Rangers had 5 players in that squad - Chukwu, Okala, Illechukwu, Anyafo and Atuegbu). As I indicated above, I believe he made only one solitary appearance for the Eagles.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...that was 1969 many countries just gaining independence, and football in it's infancy, probably possible as fifa may not have extended their rich into Africa.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

As a kid living in Enugu in the mid to late 70's, his name was legendary on the streets but due to very limited TV coverage, I rarely got to watch him play. May his soul rest in peace. Amen.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

The interview also suggests that he moved straight from Ghana to Enugu Rangers (which would validate the point made by Cmoke earlier) but I believe he first signed for Alyufsalam Rocks of Ilorin but perhaps never played for them before switching to Rangers. Ostensibly, Rangers brought him back but Alyufsalam Rocks tried to hijack the deal!!
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

RIP Christian Madu. Legendary midfielder.

Okala, Ekeji, Ilechukwu, CCC, Onyedika, Madu, Okoronkwo, Iwelumo, Ngadi, Ilodigwe, Obianika, Atuegbu (Andrew & Alloy), Osigwe, Boardman, Okpalla, Nwokocha - Kai! Those were the days of glory.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Christian Madu.

Father Tiko once gave an interview to Tunde Oshuntolu of the Daily Times hinting part of the reason Muda Lawal was preferred in his GEagles squad...
Defence. Defence, said the Yugoslav. Lawal had better engine to cover acres. Period.

I submit that for the No. 10 role, pace in Tiko's midfield might have cost Madu.

However, everything else about Christian Madu was gold.
Recall one friendly: Rangers v Asec Mimosas at Sportscity 1977...
1st 45 mins Rangers 0 Asec 1 (Due to an agreement with Tiko, the 5 Rangers titans at GEagles camp were to feature for 45mins: CCC, Okala, Madu, Atuegbu, Anyafo)
2nd half, enter the 5 titans. Final score Rangers 4 Asec Mimosas 1.
It was 45 mins of vintage Christian Madu: like a virtuoso conductor directing the tempo of play; short passes, long passes, triangles, dribbling runs, space management...Rangers comprehensively destroyed an Asec side that were competing in the stronger CAF Champions Cup...

Yet the most enthralling exhibition of midfield nous was the unforgettable contest between Muda Lawal and Madu (1977 SF CAF Winners Cup 1st Leg at Sportscity)
The flow of the match was determined by which of the 2 midfield supremos was on top; first 20 mins, Muda pulled the greater strings, and IICC was superior; 2nd 20 mins, Madu was more influential, Rangers was superior; and so the game swung to and fro for 90 mins...
Little wonder the match ended in a tie. Lawal & Madu had battled each other to a standstill...

There can be no greater tribute to Christian Madu than that he must be the closest precursor to JJ Okocha in the football universe...

RIP maestro.
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

FATHER TIKO wrote:Christian Madu.

Father Tiko once gave an interview to Tunde Oshuntolu of the Daily Times hinting part of the reason Muda Lawal was preferred in his GEagles squad...
Defence. Defence, said the Yugoslav. Lawal had better engine to cover acres. Period.

I submit that for the No. 10 role, pace in Tiko's midfield might have cost Madu.

However, everything else about Christian Madu was gold.
Recall one friendly: Rangers v Asec Mimosas at Sportscity 1977...
1st 45 mins Rangers 0 Asec 1 (Due to an agreement with Tiko, the 5 Rangers titans at GEagles camp were to feature for 45mins: CCC, Okala, Madu, Atuegbu, Anyafo)
2nd half, enter the 5 titans. Final score Rangers 4 Asec Mimosas 1.
It was 45 mins of vintage Christian Madu: like a virtuoso conductor directing the tempo of play; short passes, long passes, triangles, dribbling runs, space management...Rangers comprehensively destroyed an Asec side that were competing in the stronger CAF Champions Cup...

Yet the most enthralling exhibition of midfield nous was the unforgettable contest between Muda Lawal and Madu (1977 SF CAF Winners Cup 1st Leg at Sportscity)
The flow of the match was determined by which of the 2 midfield supremos was on top; first 20 mins, Muda pulled the greater strings, and IICC was superior; 2nd 20 mins, Madu was more influential, Rangers was superior; and so the game swung to and fro for 90 mins...
Little wonder the match ended in a tie. Lawal & Madu had battled each other to a standstill...

There can be no greater tribute to Christian Madu than that he must be the closest precursor to JJ Okocha in the football universe...

RIP maestro.
KPOM. Well written.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Gotti wrote: Doubtful that Madu ever played for the Black Stars...
but never heard of anyone playing at senior international level for both Ghana and Nigeria.
Didn't one or both of the Kayode's not do this (Ben and Dan), play for both Nigeria and Ghana?
gmoni1
Egg
Egg

Post by gmoni1 »

RIP..
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Gotti wrote:
The Eagle wrote:May he RIP. As someone said, the older we get, the more we find ourselves saying goodbye to those we remember as our heroes.

We have had brothers who each played either for Nigeria or for Ghana (in fact, we had brothers who reportedly played in the same game - one brother for Ghana and one brother (Baba Ali?) for Nigeria), and we have had Ghanaians who played for Nigeria and reportedly Nigerians who played for Ghana, but never heard of anyone playing at senior international level for both Ghana and Nigeria. Also I do not believe that Madu was in the 1978 ANC squad (Rangers had 5 players in that squad - Chukwu, Okala, Illechukwu, Anyafo and Atuegbu). As I indicated above, I believe he made only one solitary appearance for the Eagles.
I believe Madu was in the 1978 CAN squad. How many times did Ignatius Ilechukwu play for Nigeria? He was in so many squads but barely got game time. I only recollect him playing at the 1978 All African games in Algiers. I also remember Madu playing against Sierra Leone in Lagos for the Green Eagles alongside Johnny Egbuonu and Sylvanus Oriachi, the GE won 6-2.
I am happy
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Aswani wrote:
Gotti wrote: Doubtful that Madu ever played for the Black Stars...
but never heard of anyone playing at senior international level for both Ghana and Nigeria.
Didn't one or both of the Kayode's not do this (Ben and Dan), play for both Nigeria and Ghana?
Christian Madu did not play for black stars, he played for King's College Lagos in the 1960s, and was part of the Nigerian Academicals team that beat Ghana home and away.

RIP
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Dammy wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I believe Madu was in the 1978 CAN squad. How many times did Ignatius Ilechukwu play for Nigeria? He was in so many squads but barely got game time. I only recollect him playing at the 1978 All African games in Algiers. I also remember Madu playing against Sierra Leone in Lagos for the Green Eagles alongside Johnny Egbuonu and Sylvanus Oriachi, the GE won 6-2.
Madu was not in the 78 squad. Sylvanus Oriaki and Thompson Usiyan left the US before 1978.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sir V wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Madu was not in the 78 squad. Sylvanus Oriaki and Thompson Usiyan left the US before 1978.
Sir V,

Dammy is partly correct. While Madu was not in the 1978 AFCON squad, his solitary appearance for Nigeria was alongside Oriakhi, also debuting, in 1976 (October 30) and not in 1978. Johny Egbuonu was not in that game.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

RIP
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

RIP
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

RIP
Advocating rational thought since 1987
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Gabooooooo

My dad said he was the only player who signed his name with his foot/boot before the start of each game
He played for Accra Great Olympics
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Gotti wrote:

Never saw him play; I left Nigeria before he arrived. RIP.

Impossible that he played for both Ghana and Nigeria. That was only allowed in the earliest days of football, around the 1930s. FIFA changed the rules by the 1950s, and if you played senior inter for one country, you could not play for another.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohsee wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Never saw him play; I left Nigeria before he arrived. RIP.

Impossible that he played for both Ghana and Nigeria. That was only allowed in the earliest days of football, around the 1930s. FIFA changed the rules by the 1950s, and if you played senior inter for one country, you could not play for another.
Ohsee,

Correct on rules change but I know a dude who played full internationals for both Nigeria and the USA. Let me state CLEARLY that he is the only one who has done this beyond those who changed nationality because of creation of new nations. How he did it, I cannot tell.
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Dede..... :shock:
green4life wrote:As a kid living in Enugu in the mid to late 70's, his name was legendary on the streets but due to very limited TV coverage, I rarely got to watch him play. May his soul rest in peace. Amen.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

madu was a more 'disciplined' version of jay jay
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."