Conte's catenaccio beat Tottenham at Wembley - Ruud Gullit

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Conte's catenaccio beat Tottenham at Wembley - Ruud Gullit

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The Chelsea that I saw earn a dramatic 2-1 victory against Tottenham at Wembley was not the Chelsea that I usually see, and not the Chelsea that I saw so often on their way to winning the title last season.

This was a Chelsea that employed a 'catenaccio' tactical system - a counter-attacking style which became popular in Italian football where teams dig deep, hope for one or two chances to score, take them and then close the game down again.

It worked perfectly against Tottenham as Marcos Alonso converted both of their shots on target.

Chelsea's Italian manager Antonio Conte was forced into playing catenaccio because of the Blues' problems with personne
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40994946

after watching the 2nd half vs Burnley , that was when i said to myself, Conte is a pretty top class manager. ( I hope he improves on his man management skills) but the game yesterday wa stop class ( tactically) it will be interesting to watch Conte's Chelsea in Europe this season
You could see from the moment the Chelsea team was announced what Conte was trying to do.

He decided to play 3-5-2 with Alvaro Morata up top and Willian just behind, as opposed to the 3-4-3 formation they usually play, and he used centre-back David Luiz as a holding midfielder.

N'Golo Kante and Tiemoue Bakayoko - who was making his debut after signing from Monaco this summer - were in alongside him, meaning they were playing with three defensively minded players in central midfield.

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Conte's catenaccio beat Tottenham at Wembley - Ruud Gull

Post by YemiBrazil »

Roller coaster analysts. You win this week you are a genius, you lose next week you have peaked and you've been found out. I wonder what this article would have read if the dominant Spurs had not just buried their chances but also avoided those 2 silly mistakes that led to the goals - "Pochettino's Vuvuzela annihilate Chelsea at Wembley" then copy and paste some random action image during the match to make your opinion look scholarly :lol: :lol: :lol:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

YemiBrazil wrote:Roller coaster analysts. You win this week you are a genius, you lose next week you have peaked and you've been found out. I wonder what this article would have read if the dominant Spurs had not just buried their chances but also avoided those 2 silly mistakes that led to the goals - "Pochettino's Vuvuzela annihilate Chelsea at Wembley" then copy and paste some random action image during the match to make your opinion look scholarly :lol: :lol: :lol:
people forget the Miss by Morata, the shot by Willian that hit the post. Chelsea played like Italy in the last Euros. I expect the team to improve constantly, they need to get a better striker than Bat and get Betrand from the saints and when Hazard returns , it's lights out.. FYI Ngolo Kante is a beast , that guy nah die hard..my goodness

[/video]
SuperEagles

ceejay22
Egg
Egg

Post by ceejay22 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:Roller coaster analysts. You win this week you are a genius, you lose next week you have peaked and you've been found out. I wonder what this article would have read if the dominant Spurs had not just buried their chances but also avoided those 2 silly mistakes that led to the goals - "Pochettino's Vuvuzela annihilate Chelsea at Wembley" then copy and paste some random action image during the match to make your opinion look scholarly :lol: :lol: :lol:
people forget the Miss by Morata, the shot by Willian that hit the post. Chelsea played like Italy in the last Euros. I expect the team to improve constantly, they need to get a better striker than Bat and get Betrand from the saints and when Hazard returns , it's lights out.. FYI Ngolo Kante is a beast , that guy nah die hard..my goodness

[/video]
First time I can agree with everything you say. You are slowly growing on me Porkey.
You are becoming mature and speaking sense now. Impressive
The CFC team I saw yesterday will win this EPL. Conte is an excellent tactician. I saw enough in Morata to feel that he will improve and do better when he has more cerebral players around him like Hazard and Pedro.
WilliAm is a hustler and I appreciate that but the guys decision making leaves a lot to be desired.
Bakayoko omg that guy is gonna be a hit for us. So will Christensen and Rudiger
I am much happier now than before
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Yesterday it worked. It won't always be so. A bit of luck was on our side. I think going forward, Chelsea needs other game plans. I do understand though that the team has Hazard out. But he needs someone that can play his role perfectly when out.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
ceejay22
Egg
Egg

Post by ceejay22 »

balo wrote:Yesterday it worked. It won't always be so. A bit of luck was on our side. I think going forward, Chelsea needs other game plans. I do understand though that the team has Hazard out. But he needs someone that can play his role perfectly when out.
Who do you think fits that role?
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

ceejay22 wrote:
balo wrote:Yesterday it worked. It won't always be so. A bit of luck was on our side. I think going forward, Chelsea needs other game plans. I do understand though that the team has Hazard out. But he needs someone that can play his role perfectly when out.
Who do you think fits that role?

I don't know. The guys being paid millions to do the job should do so.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
The Chelsea that I saw earn a dramatic 2-1 victory against Tottenham at Wembley was not the Chelsea that I usually see, and not the Chelsea that I saw so often on their way to winning the title last season.

This was a Chelsea that employed a 'catenaccio' tactical system - a counter-attacking style which became popular in Italian football where teams dig deep, hope for one or two chances to score, take them and then close the game down again.

It worked perfectly against Tottenham as Marcos Alonso converted both of their shots on target.

Chelsea's Italian manager Antonio Conte was forced into playing catenaccio because of the Blues' problems with personne

after watching the 2nd half vs Burnley , that was when i said to myself, Conte is a pretty top class manager. ( I hope he improves on his man management skills) but the game yesterday wa stop class ( tactically) it will be interesting to watch Conte's Chelsea in Europe this season
You could see from the moment the Chelsea team was announced what Conte was trying to do.

He decided to play 3-5-2 with Alvaro Morata up top and Willian just behind, as opposed to the 3-4-3 formation they usually play, and he used centre-back David Luiz as a holding midfielder.

N'Golo Kante and Tiemoue Bakayoko - who was making his debut after signing from Monaco this summer - were in alongside him, meaning they were playing with three defensively minded players in central midfield.

Rubbish....if Jose does it,he is parking molue bus madr in Ajegunle filled with Oshodi oke touts. But Conte does it he is credited with driving a luxurious marco polo bus made in Italy.

Bus is bus bolekaja, danfo, molue luxurious....bus is bus abeg!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

oloye wrote:Rubbish....if Jose does it,he is parking molue bus madr in Ajegunle filled with Oshodi oke touts. But Conte does it he is credited with driving a luxurious marco polo bus made in Italy.

Thanks oloye for confirming what I thought I saw in the game.
The Spurs did most of the attacking, while Chelsea reminds one of Mourinho.
Kante did not look great in that game, as the pressure from Tots was just heavy,
and Chelsea's attack was quelled before it starts. For Chelsea to repeat, their counter
attack has to be quicker and sleeker that what was on display in that game.
Luck was on Chelsea's side in that game, and I don't see that happening too many times.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

joao wrote:
oloye wrote:Rubbish....if Jose does it,he is parking molue bus madr in Ajegunle filled with Oshodi oke touts. But Conte does it he is credited with driving a luxurious marco polo bus made in Italy.

Kante did not look great in that game, as the pressure from Tots was just heavy,
and Chelsea's attack was quelled before it starts. For Chelsea to repeat, their counter
Luck was on Chelsea's side in that game, and I don't see that happening too many times.
Spurs is one of the best teams in Europe, Chelsea played with 5 new players playing for the first time at a very high level , they had to be conservative. I dare any other team to try and play such expansive football with Spurs
SuperEagles

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

joao wrote:

I actually think with yesterday's game plan, Kante was so good. When Hazard returns, the attack will be more free-flowing.

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

oloye wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

Rubbish....if Jose does it,he is parking molue bus madr in Ajegunle filled with Oshodi oke touts. But Conte does it he is credited with driving a luxurious marco polo bus made in Italy.

This was exactly Jose's gripe last season when he went to Chelsea. The management wanted more attacking football from him, yet are fine with Conte's negative football.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

joao wrote:

Makes a lot of sense except for the small fact that this is not the first time Chelsea has been 'lucky' against spurs at wembley. Correct me but I think this is Chelsea fourth straight lucky win over spurs at wembley.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Catenaccio? Does this guy know what that is? For such displays - watch Juventus vs. Barca last season!! Spurs should have been more clinical.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Wow Chelsea fans are really something else,what was different in this negative approach from Jose Chelsea team?
Oh I forget one is Italian mafia and the other is from Portugal with big mouth.
Just last week same fans saying he will be fired and today he is Catenaccio.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

green4life wrote:
joao wrote:

Makes a lot of sense except for the small fact that this is not the first time Chelsea has been 'lucky' against spurs at wembley. Correct me but I think this is Chelsea fourth straight lucky win over spurs at wembley.
I've not been counting, but Spurs played the better game yesterday.
I think Tots need to spread the field more instead of running into themselves in the 18-yard box.
They should let their marksmen run into the pass, than having them get creative in the box. I believe
though, that if the Spurs had scored first, they would have demolished the opposition who would have
not choice but to attack.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

Waffiman wrote:
oloye wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

This was exactly Jose's gripe last season when he went to Chelsea. The management wanted more attacking football from him, yet are fine with Conte's negative football.
Haba waffi - You know this is highly inaccurate. Jose's CFC teams have been predominantly defensive/negative/pragmatic.. The frequency of the negative but effective football is what had management putting pressure on Jose to play more expansive/attractive/positive football.

1st half of 2014/2015 campaign was the most attractive footie a Jose coached CFC side had ever played IMO. We know how things changed post the loss to Spurs.. Early days, but how frequently does Conte's CFC team play negatively?

In Roman era, CFC has won the title 5 times but the 3 EPL titles won by Jose produced the least number of goals scored.. Carlo's team scored 103 & Conte's - 85..

FACT - in 5 full EPL seasons at CFC, Jose's CFC teams have never scored more than 73 goals in a given season. Talking about averaging < 2 goals a game here.

Will however state that goals scored is not the ultimate measure of positive football but a solid yard stick to judge by given that Jose himself touts the number of
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

joao wrote:
green4life wrote:
joao wrote:

I think Tots need to spread the field more instead of running into themselves in the 18-yard box.
They should let their marksmen run into the pass, than having them get creative in the box. I believe
though, that if the Spurs had scored first, they would have demolished the opposition who would have
Agreed. The quality of Spurs wingbacks was very poor yesterday. The team is used to Walker/Rose making those runs down the sides. Davies/Trippier dont offer that. I really hope the club gets players who can do this.

Secondly, Kane was too damn selfish. There were two plays where all he had to do was pass the ball to Eriksen and one other player who skips my memory.

If this match is played another day, I see another scoreline. Chelsea took their chances. To hail this as some form of defensive masterpiece is :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Spurs start the season slowly - always under Poch.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

joao wrote:
green4life wrote:
joao wrote:

all these what ifs.. My brother, you forget that Morata missed a clear header around 5th min mark or so. Through out the game, CFC was most vulnerable the last 15 min or so of 1H. That is when Kane hit post I think.. Can't remember any other clear cut chances created by spurs. I keep hearing about being more clinical. I guess that applies to Morata too with his 2 chances

CFC defending was much better in the 2nd half. Were comfortable dealing with the crosses and Luiz in 2H did a stellar job plugging the holes in the middle.. Neutralized Erikssen/Dele IMO. Playing with 7-8 defensive out field players does help no doubt.
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Yesterday, Chelsea were the defensive team. But they scored 3 goals, gifting the more offensive team 1 goal.

I see the sense in recognizing the strengths of your opponent and planning accordingly.
Would Chelsea have played the same way with Hazard and Cesc available for the game?

Maybe!

Let's not forget that Stoke City won against Arsenal with only 22% of possession.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

assnal CE spammers are so strange. The Spurs of yesterday , would destroy assnal , city and even united.. only a confused spammer would take risk against your rivals... 3 points from Spurs is massive the goal is to ensure you take points from your rivals, Chelsea won away.. that is huge . Anyways shebi that useless assnal go play pool next we go see. I have never seen such jealous fans in my life
SuperEagles

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

joao wrote:
green4life wrote:
joao wrote:

Since it's that straight forward, why didn't spurs proceed to demolish Chelsea after the game was tied at 1? Did any spurs player score any goal yesterday? If ko, lucky ni.

Who went on the attack and scored the winning goal after the score was tied? Certainly not spurs.
ceejay22
Egg
Egg

Post by ceejay22 »

analyzer wrote:
joao wrote:
green4life wrote:
joao wrote:

all these what ifs.. My brother, you forget that Morata missed a clear header around 5th min mark or so. Through out the game, CFC was most vulnerable the last 15 min or so of 1H. That is when Kane hit post I think.. Can't remember any other clear cut chances created by spurs. I keep hearing about being more clinical. I guess that applies to Morata too with his 2 chances

CFC defending was much better in the 2nd half. Were comfortable dealing with the crosses and Luiz in 2H did a stellar job plugging the holes in the middle.. Neutralized Erikssen/Dele IMO. Playing with 7-8 defensive out field players does help no doubt.
My brother u get time to explain to these folks
Btw, u were so right about Christensen. I so much underrated the guy